Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #51
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bob Bowlsby accuses ESPN of tortious interference - Frogs O' War

Sounds like ESPN is trying to get enough teams to leave the Big 12 for the AAC, so that UTOU can leave without penalty. Pretty shitty, but I doubt there are any consequences for bad behavior. ESPN probably gets out of what will be a bad deal with the Big 12 and gets those teams to the SEC more quickly.

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Sounds like ESPN is trying to get enough teams to leave the Big 12 for the AAC, so that UTOU can leave without penalty. Pretty shitty, but I doubt there are any consequences for bad behavior. ESPN probably gets out of what will be a bad deal with the Big 12 and gets those teams to the SEC more quickly.

Is it pretty shitty on the part of ESPN though? I am serious when I ask the question. This feels like something that is just encouraged and probably required in that world. Maybe I am just thinking the worst of the people in that world but this feels like it is only a problem because it is being done to the Big 12.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #53
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is it pretty shitty on the part of ESPN though? I am serious when I ask the question. This feels like something that is just encouraged and probably required in that world. Maybe I am just thinking the worst of the people in that world but this feels like it is only a problem because it is being done to the Big 12.

ESPN gets caught trying to hurt the Big 10 or SEC: Major scandal. People get fired.

ESPN gets caught trying to hurt the Big 12: Vague sense of that's not cool.

ESPN gets caught trying to hurt a non Power Conference: To the extent anyone notices or cares, they think it's totally fine.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #54
tarcone
Coordinator

Word out of the PAC12 media days is they do not want any of the leftover B8 schools. There was a lot of talk about a merger or partnership with the B1G.

If true, this is a lot bigger than OU/TX to the SEC.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's actually about even more than that. I'll repost (with minor edits) what I had somewhere else:

ESPN has total rights with AAC with a 10 year deal that started in 2019 (a paltry $80M per year for the entire league). The Big XII rights are split between ESPN and Fox. So ESPN has a very vested interest in the remaining Big XII schools joining the AAC so they have them over a barrel with rights as opposed to if the Big XII absorbed some AAC teams.
This also explains why it was such a quick "no" when the Big XII tried to open up negotiations earlier this year. This was already brewing.

Big 12 television partners decline preemptive negotiations, Texas Tech president says

Quote:
The Big Ten’s six-year contract with CBS, FOX and ESPN expires in 2023. The Pac-12 has a 12-year contract with ESPN and FOX that runs through 2024. The College Football Playoff’s agreement with ESPN goes through the 2025 season (early 2026 bowl games).

It also takes one conference off the table and pretty much auto-relegates them to lesser status. It’s clear they want the SEC rights for a flagship brand and then the Big AAC for inventory. Whatever the new equivalent of Thursday and Friday night MAC-tion is, here comes the new league, which is perfect for them over-saturating ESPN2 and ESPNU with garbage football (like my beloved Kansas).

Quote:
Does it seem too predictable that, in another 15-20 years, these mega conferences are not going to need Northwestern and Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, etc. and be looking to downsize?

It's coming but the Arkansas and Missouris and Washington States, etc, of the world are going to try and cash the good checks as long as they keep coming. This time, it's wipe out the remaining 8 Big XII schools and prevent them from building their brand. Next will be the breakaway league i when Ohio State gets tired of sharing their money with Northwestern and Clemson doesn't get why they have to share with Pitt. We're probably about 12 years away from the headline "Shocked Mississippi Senators threaten to sue SEC for not including any state schools in new SEC" (ACC grant of rights is 2036, right? so it'll be about 3 years before that).

It's oddly contradictory as it means Disney is playing the long game with a short-sighted idea: to lock up the strongest brand, all while squeezing out and other competition. However, that competition is also advertising. Sure, the SEC thinks they can play games by themselves but if there are only 20 alumni bases watching, it's going to be a lot smaller piece of the pie. For as crappy as Kansas football is, I'll watch their games most because I went there. I wouldn't be in this new system.

It's like when MLB decided to shoot itself in the foot by contracting 40+ minor league teams, walking billboards in all sorts of small town America for baseball. But, hey, it'll save a few bucks today and give the more control. And they'll look back in 30 more years and be asking "hey, where did all the fans go?" Just like they're starting to do now as the game grows increasingly local and regional rather than a national sport (and has been for more than 20 years as they only promote a couple of teams nationally and let the rest starve).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This seems to make a lot of sense as a counter to the SEC's moves.

Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC in discussions about forming alliance: Sources - The Athletic
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #57
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This seems to make a lot of sense as a counter to the SEC's moves.

Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC in discussions about forming alliance: Sources - The Athletic

I suggested this 2 weeks ago Damn conferences should hire me

Old 08-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It sounds good in theory but what would it do in practice? If we're talking football, you still can only play 12~14 games a year and they will still mostly be in conference.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #59
Ksyrup

I think there would be a small amount of scheduling synergy, but I took it to mean they would align as a voting block to ensure the SEC doesn't essentially get to place as many teams as they want into the CFP and similar decisions that would adversely affect each individual conference on its own.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #60
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think there would be a small amount of scheduling synergy, but I took it to mean they would align as a voting block to ensure the SEC doesn't essentially get to place as many teams as they want into the CFP and similar decisions that would adversely affect each individual conference on its own.

If they go to 12, the most likely way to prevent the SEC from having 4-6 of those is to gift spots to various cannon fodder.

Maybe that's what bloc voting is intending but with likely only 4 major conferences left standing, everybody meaningful in the picture is going to be looking at 1-2 min regardless.

edit to add:
Final CFP rankings after conference championship last year, tweaking for future alignments
SEC 5 (counting Oklahoma)
ACC 2 (counting ND)
B10 2
B12 1 (not sure where Iowa State ends up)
Non P5 2
Coastal was #12, so they'd be hypothetically out in favor of a Pac 12 champ I guess

Since 2020 was so weird, 2019 numbers would have SEC 5 (counting OU), B10 would have claimed 3.
*obviously not knowing where Iowa State (2020) and Baylor (2019) will end up makes this less than precise.

edit 2:
Probably worth noting that those rankings were from committee voters than only counted 2 SEC members among their numbers. It's not as if there's not already a sizable majority available to the remainder of the conferences.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-14-2021 at 03:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #62
Ksyrup

I don't mean the literal CFP committee spots, I'm talking about seats at the table to determine what the rules are going to be in the next iteration of the CFP. If they can block an SEC initiative to make it virtually certain the SEC is going to get 7-8 of 12 spots (remember, there may not be a P5 when this is all determined - the Big 12 appears to be gone already, which reduces the number of "legitimate contenders" who will get spots), then that is definitely in those three conferences' best interests.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't mean the literal CFP committee spots, I'm talking about seats at the table to determine what the rules are going to be in the next iteration of the CFP. If they can block an SEC initiative to make it virtually certain the SEC is going to get 7-8 of 12 spots (remember, there may not be a P5 when this is all determined - the Big 12 appears to be gone already, which reduces the number of "legitimate contenders" who will get spots), then that is definitely in those three conferences' best interests.

I don't know that there has to be an initiative to make that possible, on field might very well do it.

5-6 seem likely on a regular basis, you only need a down year with somebody getting only their (presumed) automatic qualifier to open that door for 7 or more.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #64
Ksyrup

UK named Will Levis starting QB (apparently he transferred from Penn State? Never heard of him until today) with local product Beau Allen as the #2. Joey Gatewood, transfer from Auburn? Apparently going to transfer again. I mean dude, if you can't crack the lineup at UK - whose best QB of the past 5+ years was a WR - you might want to downsize your expectations during the next school search. Or change positions.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
UK named Will Levis starting QB (apparently he transferred from Penn State? Never heard of him until today)

He's the guy who nearly rallied them from a 24-3 deficit against Nebraska after Clifford got benched. Started the next week vs Iowa with so-so production and then Clifford regained the job.

As for Gatewood, he was the likely transfer candidate regardless of whether he was officially the #2 or the #3. He's farther along his career than hometown boy Beau Allen, who could very well be the backup regardless of who is more game ready today based simply on his time remaining to develop.

A situation not entirely dissimilar to how he was beaten out by Bo Nix at Auburn come to think of it.

Wherever he ends up, I'd recommend he pick a program where there isn't a geographically anointed QB in the wings.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #66
HerRealName
College Prospect

As a QB, Levis is mainly a fullback. He seemed totally lost running RPOs but he's a big, strong guy.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #67
Ksyrup

What's funny is that Stoops essentially said in so many words that the competition wasn't even close. So I guess that means yet another season without an actual QB.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:14 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's funny is that Stoops essentially said in so many words that the competition wasn't even close. So I guess that means yet another season without an actual QB.

Which, really, has been their most productive offensive approach for quite a few years now.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #69
Ksyrup

If only they had experimented with Lynn Bowden a year earlier...
Old 08-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #70
Atocep
Coordinator

Former Miami Hurricanes player Rashaun Jones arrested in 2006 murder of teammate Bryan Pata

Great to finally see an arrest made
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #71
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

The look on his face in that picture where the team is honoring Pata is disturbing. Almost smug, so glad to see this arrest made as he was the primary suspect through most of the investigation.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

Kudos to #5 GA playing #3 Clemson and #1 Alabama playing #14 Miami as first games.

Also kudos to the Razorbacks taking on Rice. Definitely a dangerous opponent and not a sure thing!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Kudos to #5 GA playing #3 Clemson

2 to 3 million reasons that's happening (more added revenue for Clemson than Georgia, because their buyout with Wyoming was about $700k less the Georgia's buyout of San Jose State)
Old 08-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #74
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 alliance to combat SEC's influence expected to be announced Tuesday - CBSSports.com

It almost feels like the college football world wants to be like pre-WW1 Europe.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #75
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 alliance to combat SEC's influence expected to be announced Tuesday - CBSSports.com

It almost feels like the college football world wants to be like pre-WW1 Europe.

So in this scenario, Kirby Smart will be shot by a DB from Georgia Tech and football will be plummeted into years of bloodshed?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #76
tarcone
Coordinator

Illinois/Nebraska on Fox Saturday to kickoff the season. Kind of a crap game, but at least its college football.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #77
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think Nebraska will be improved, but yeah not a Saturday of stellar matchups. I am curious to see what UCLA looks like ion their game. Chip Kelly has to be out if they don't show some major improvement this season.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #78
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'll be at the UCLA-Hawaii game as I picked up season tickets again.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #79
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'll be at the UCLA-Hawaii game as I picked up season tickets again.

What are your thoughts on the team this year, does DTR finally have that breakthrough?
Old 08-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #80
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What are your thoughts on the team this year, does DTR finally have that breakthrough?

I think he had it last year, we basically pissed away some games that we should have easily won, *cough* Stanford/USC *cough*. But I'm a UCLA fan and things never come easy for us.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

This was amazing
https://twitter.com/apthirteen/statu...29988700299267
Old 08-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #82
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

That was great.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #83
Ksyrup

Cool story.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #84
tarcone
Coordinator

And we're off.

Illinois and Nebby struggling a little on offense to start the game.

I am really excited it has started

Old 08-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #85
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Rode by the Game Day set up yesterday. Wasn't expecting that at old Turner Field. Pretty wild just riding up on it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #86
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Illinois up 16-9 at halftime. If Nebraska loses this game, Scott Frost might get fired on the tarmac before boarding the team plane (e.g. USC and Lane Kiffin).
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #87
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebby is such a poorly coached team. I cannot figure out how Frost went undefeated at UCF.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #88
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Nebby is such a poorly coached team. I cannot figure out how Frost went undefeated at UCF.

He had superior talent at UCF than what he has at Nebraska, and he had to beat teams like East Carolina and Tulane instead of Ohio State and Wisconsin.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"Leadership and culture" are better than ever .... that phrase seems likely to be on the tombstone of Scott Frost's HC career.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Have a look at their schedule
Old 08-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #91
Ksyrup

Is that the same Martinez kid at QB who was there in like 2002? Dude should have a degree in every major offered there by now.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #92
lungs
Pro Rookie

Bart Bielema looking good in Week 0!

(I do think it was a solid hire for Illinois)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #93
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Bart Bielema looking good in Week 0!

(I do think it was a solid hire for Illinois)

Their offense looks like Iowa's. If Biellema can develop they are a real B1G team.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It takes a special sort of dedication to be as bad as UConn has been for a rather long stretch.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #95
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So in this scenario, Kirby Smart will be shot by a DB from Georgia Tech and football will be plummeted into years of bloodshed?

Yup, followed by Bobby Petrino turning to traitor to the side he just pledged his undying loyalty to.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was put in the unusual spot of rooting for Bielema and Illinois. Love watching Nebraska suck!
Old 08-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #97
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

College football brings out true love and true hatred in people.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:04 PM   #98
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Is that the same Martinez kid at QB who was there in like 2002? Dude should have a degree in every major offered there by now.

On the other side we had Artur Sitkowski enter the game after the Illinois starter was injured. The same Artur Sitkowski that committed to Miami in HS as a 4* QB, was benched in HS for being ineffective, dropped to a 3*, signed with Rutgers, started the 2018 season with Rutgers, was quite possibly the worst QB I've ever seen start a P5 game, and is now at Illinois with Sophomore eligibility.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #99
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I was put in the unusual spot of rooting for Bielema and Illinois. Love watching Nebraska suck!

Nebraska is dead as a program. Who would want to coach in that black hole?

And I love it.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It takes a special sort of dedication to be as bad as UConn has been for a rather long stretch.

As a Kansas football fan, let me tall you about....

(I'm still so disappointed we missed 100 losses in the decade because KU-UT was cancelled last year "due to COVID" i.e. due to no one wanting to play the game)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2021 at 09:51 AM.