Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #401
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
A good example of this is Rick's monologue with bleeding Jesus (and his opening monologue...heck, any of his monologues)

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do here though. How are they supposed to do is relay his tormentented fears of failure/ inadequacy though, have him cast really pained looks at the screen a lot? I mean, there's a certain risk of having him become too perfect given the way he's written, a classic babyface in a 'tweeners world (to borrow from pro wrestling), and that can be a kiss of death for a character.

Plus, I think we have to remember this is not supposed to be the most articulate, witty, urbane guy in the world. (T-bone or whatever the hell his name is gets off a pretty good line - simple but effective - about Rick & Shane next week & while it's supposed to some character flaw in him, it's pretty on target I think). Sure, Darryl got the best line in the church by far but I thought Rick's speech in the church actually rang pretty true to me for who that character is supposed to be ... err, have been.

Quote:
(kill Shane...please?)

On that we can agree. Although I'd take a one hour Shane monologue over dealing with the increasingly shrill blonde or annoying ass Lori. These are not exactly the most likable people in the world
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #402
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
The silver lining is that the zombie herd scene was awesome, so there is a little hope. Hopefully most of these actors get killed off this season (kill Shane...please?) and we get some better replacements.

Not as bad as the Vatos episode, but underwhelming.

The actor that plays Shane should have had his SAG card revoked after the alcohol/crying/shower scene last season.

Last edited by Swaggs : 10-17-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #403
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really don't have too much problem with the acting. They aren't great, but they do.

I agree with Jon about the Rick scene in the church.

It's interesting to think of the episode as being "way too boring." You can't have zombies in every scene all the time or eventually that threat becomes dull. You need to pace it out with the zombie interaction, more often than not, being less than the rest. Between the herd scene, the scene with Rick and the two zombies in the forest and the church scene, I think that was about right for zombie threats.

The show will really have to live and die (no pun intended) with the characters. If you don't like the actors, the characters or the dialogue and are just watching for zombie-killing action then I would imagine the show will disappoint more often than not.

Between reading the comic and the show, I feel pretty comfortable and invested in the characters. I am not overly annoyed or disappointed with any of them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #404
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's interesting, because the single worst drawn panel in the entire series is the one where the kid gets shot. I think I could have drawn it. That said, it was much more interesting in the comic because you weren't sure wtf just happened. On the tv show, by the way the scene was set up, you instantly know it was an accident. Not sure why they decided to take out that element of mystery.

I've never thought the aritst drew kids very well. They always look oddly disproportionate. Their arms and legs always look too short, their hands big but with short little fingers and their head's too big.

The guy draws some mean zombies, though.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #405
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do here though. How are they supposed to do is relay his tormentented fears of failure/ inadequacy though, have him cast really pained looks at the screen a lot? I mean, there's a certain risk of having him become too perfect given the way he's written, a classic babyface in a 'tweeners world (to borrow from pro wrestling), and that can be a kiss of death for a character.

Plus, I think we have to remember this is not supposed to be the most articulate, witty, urbane guy in the world. (T-bone or whatever the hell his name is gets off a pretty good line - simple but effective - about Rick & Shane next week & while it's supposed to some character flaw in him, it's pretty on target I think). Sure, Darryl got the best line in the church by far but I thought Rick's speech in the church actually rang pretty true to me for who that character is supposed to be ... err, have been.

On that we can agree. Although I'd take a one hour Shane monologue over dealing with the increasingly shrill blonde or annoying ass Lori. These are not exactly the most likable people in the world
Jon - all good points. I think my biggest issue is with the casting, particularly Rick and Shane. I get the sense that the guy who plays Rick is a solid actor but miscast in that role. The actor who plays Shane looks the part, but holy overacting, Batman!

Monologues are a staple of dramatic television, I get that - the ones in this past episode just felt a little forced (hey - we need a dramatic monologue to add gravity to this show!)

And to H_B's point - I also agree that you don't want to overdo the zombies. I just think you need to have a more consistent tension throughout the show. It needs to feel claustrophobic and dangerous and you want to be on edge until the commercial break or the show ends. The highway/herd scene was masterful in that regard.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 10-18-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #406
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
And to H_B's point - I also agree that you don't want to overdo the zombies. I just think you need to have a more consistent tension throughout the show. It needs to feel claustrophobic and dangerous and you want to be on edge until the commercial break or the show ends. The highway/herd scene was masterful in that regard.

I agree with the tension point. For whatever reason though, I always feel tense watching that show. I just amped for some reason. It seems to carry over after the show too, since, more often than not, I will have a zombie dream after watching this. I like zombie dreams. I had one on Sunday night. No zombies, but it was in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. I was in a house with my wife and some woman and she told us that she heard on the radio that they power would keep going until January 13, 2012. That's all I really remember.

Also, given how many god damned commercials they seemed to pack into those 90 minutes that'd be a LOT of tension. I guess AMC's gotta do something to afford its Mad Men budget.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #407
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I will agree that the tension that I feel during the show is strange for me but also pretty cool. I was watching the new episode last night and it just seemed that my house suddenly got a whole lot colder.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #408
gi
College Prospect

Oh yeah, 90 minutes didn't equal much extra show. But commercials? ton, hence me time-shifting my viewing.

I don't mind the monologue ideas or the pacing. I think the idea was sound, execution was off.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize notice anything unusual about the placement of commercials, other than the unusually long opening segment (20-25 mins) that didn't have any. If it was indeed odd, that probably had something to do with it, had to make up at least one full break over the next hour.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #410
samifan24
Pro Starter

I thought the extended early sequence without ads was an AMC thing as I feel like I've seen that on Mad Men often.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #411
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I thought the extended early sequence without ads was an AMC thing as I feel like I've seen that on Mad Men often.

Does MM do 90 minute episodes?

I seem to vaguely recall at hearing at least some MM eps being referred to as "presented with limited commercial interruptions" or something to that effect.

On the whole though, the number of commercial minutes in an hour of TV remains pretty constant, skip a break & it'll most likely be made up with more/longer breaks later in the show.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #412
samifan24
Pro Starter

Mad Men episodes are always one hour but are frequently "presented with limited commercial interruptions" when they originally air. This may only be something that AMC does for its marquee show, though, as the advertisers tend to make "special" Mad Men themed ads to run during the show.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #413
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I enjoyed the first half hour or so; they did a great job building up tension. After the herd left, it kind of devolved back into the same old "let's make them do stupid stuff to further the story" stuff that got tiring last year. oh, you say the suicidal chick now just wants to sneak away with Starsky to get away from the man? well, sure. still good, but you really do need to check your logic at the door sometimes.

One minor complaint I had: I think they did a fairly poor job with the "previously on" segment. I normally skip through these, but it's been so darn long I had forgotten a lot of key details. They didn't do a great job reminding me.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #414
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lori is such a bring down, and she manages to suck the tension out of every scene she's in.

"This is a graveyard, we shouldn't defile this place"
"I don't like the way you're looking at me, just take the gun."
"I don't like the way you look at my husband."
"I don't like how you talk to my son."
"I know you still want me, but I don't want you"

Bitch, it's zombie apocalypse, not high school, get on board! Was she this insufferable in the comic? If she seemed even slightly concerned with the zombies rather than entirely her own personal bullshit, some of that concern might even carry over to the viewer.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #415
Mota
College Benchwarmer

The Walking Dead comic isn't really about the zombies. It's about a group of people trying to survive in a world overrun by zombies.

Sure, once in a while you get a full comic filled with brain-mashing mayhem, but it's really about the people.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #416
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
After the herd left, it kind of devolved back into the same old "let's make them do stupid stuff to further the story" stuff that got tiring last year.

I have heard this complaint by a number of folks, about how stupid/brain dead these folks are. Thinking back to this last episode, I can't really think of anything that they did that was so insanely stupid or brain dead.

The events, as I recall, where:

1. Car breaks down in the midst of the traffic jam. So, they stop there, start looting the cars for food, clothes, spare parts, weapons, etc. They also stop to fix the RV.

2. Zombie herd comes and they all hide.

3. Little girl gets spooked by two zombies and she takes off in the woods, trying to run away from them. She's a little girl. She's scared. I can't blame her for this.

4. Rick follows after her, finds her and tells her to hide so he can take care of the zombies alone without having to fear for her safety. Sound move.

5. Little scared girl takes off and tries to run back to her mother once the coast is clear and gets lost in the woods.

6. Rick and Daryl try to find the girl. They can't. It gets dark. They wait until day light to go out in a big search party.

7. Search party can't find her, they follow the bells to the church thinking the girl might have gone there. They kill the zombies in the church. It's getting late again, most of the group starts to head back while Rick, Shane and Carl stick around to look around the church to make sure the girl isn't hiding somewhere.

I'm failing to see how any of those actions, outside of those of the terrified little girl who is the daughter of a terribly abusive father and probably quite jumpy, are all that stupid or brain dead. All seem pretty much ok to me. I guess one thing people note is having Carl stay behind with Rick and Shane, but I don't even think that was all that dumb. He's with the second and third most compotent people (Daryl is clearly el numero uno in that regard). He would have probably been safer going back with the big group, but this is sort of their "new normal." He's got to start growing up a bit and the situation seemed pretty decent. It would have been fine save a completely random happenstance that could have easily happened anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Lori is such a bring down, and she manages to suck the tension out of every scene she's in.

"This is a graveyard, we shouldn't defile this place"
"I don't like the way you're looking at me, just take the gun."
"I don't like the way you look at my husband."
"I don't like how you talk to my son."
"I know you still want me, but I don't want you"

Bitch, it's zombie apocalypse, not high school, get on board! Was she this insufferable in the comic? If she seemed even slightly concerned with the zombies rather than entirely her own personal bullshit, some of that concern might even carry over to the viewer.

Lori is a downer. Without a doubt. She is written a bit differently in the show than the comic. That said, I don't think it's terribly unrealistic that people continue to care about personal stuff in this situation. Sure, you're not going to be worried about when zombies are around, but during the many many hours of long no-zombie presence, that shit will, sadly, bubble up onto the surface, especially in such a tense situation.

Also, I think a lot of her issues come from the guilt of sleeping with Shane and betraying Rick. It's why she lashed out at Carol for the way she was "looking" at Rick. It's why she lashes out at Shane. I think she lashed out at Andrea, because, well, it would be hard not to after all of Andrea's complaining about the gun situation.

A person can really only be on "high alert I am thinking nothing other than zombies and how to survive" for so long. The adrenaline dissapates and old nonsense boils up, especially in a small, intimate group.

As for her complaining about looting from the dead, I really didn't have a problem with it. I would have had an issue if she complained and they didn't do it, but I have no problem with her voicing the concern and how bad it feels. It's a realisitic reaction to the situation. This isn't The Humungus and his hounds of war who have been living in the wasteland for years, scavanging off the carcas of a dead world. These are just regular people who have only been in this situation for a few months, tops. They aren't that hardened yet.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I guess one thing people note is having Carl stay behind with Rick and Shane, but I don't even think that was all that dumb. He's with the second and third most compotent people (Daryl is clearly el numero uno in that regard). He would have probably been safer going back with the big group, but this is sort of their "new normal." He's got to start growing up a bit and the situation seemed pretty decent. It would have been fine save a completely random happenstance that could have easily happened anywhere.

This. One of the more themes they tried to introduce in the opener was Carl's situational need for maturity, perhaps beyond his years. Contrast that to the problem created by the little girl panicking, leaving her safe spot too soon (a few more minutes & Rick would have picked her up as planned), and then getting lost.

Quote:
As for her complaining about looting from the dead, I really didn't have a problem with it. I would have had an issue if she complained and they didn't do it, but I have no problem with her voicing the concern and how bad it feels. It's a realisitic reaction to the situation.

The group reaction to it (basically staring at her like she's nuts for a few seconds & then proceeding to scav the hell out of stuff) really made it work okay for me. It was like a momentary lapse of reality but we clearly saw that it was an isolated reaction, that the group as a whole is in touch with the situation even when a single member isn't. I suspect we'll see that kind of thing happen somewhat frequently this season, where an individual briefly reverts back to old reality but the group carries on to deal with the situation. They also made use of the incident when the formerly abused wife/mother was lookingly longingly at some frilly thing she found in a car, going from a questioning look by Lori to a line meant to show the emotional damage that Carol(?) carries from being married to the abusive asshole.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #418
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I have heard this complaint by a number of folks, about how stupid/brain dead these folks are. Thinking back to this last episode, I can't really think of anything that they did that was so insanely stupid or brain dead.

The events, as I recall, where:

1. Car breaks down in the midst of the traffic jam. So, they stop there, start looting the cars for food, clothes, spare parts, weapons, etc. They also stop to fix the RV.

well, I'd pretty much start here. why are they still driving that rickety POS RV? they haven't passed any new RV dealerships by now? or a broken down fuel truck where they can stock up on some gas? no, they were so tight on gas they couldn't backtrack and instead had to try to plow through (GPS must have told them new route was too long). oh, and even though they are tight on gas, they don't think to stop at the big traffic jam to grab some gas until they get stuck.

the chase in the woods was fairly dumb too. sheriff and kid are being chased in the woods by two zombies. for some reason, these fit individuals can't outrun the zeds. sheriff apparently doesn't want to use the gun to avoid attracting other zombies. eventually, he uses a rock...but since this is a magic rock, he could only use it when no other living humans are around, because before he did it he sent the girl away. or that's what I'm assuming.

I know you have to do this stuff to a point. Lost was pretty big for this as well (hey, we found this shelter with food, running water and beds, but let's just use it as an occasional shower and stay on the beach under the tarps). I just wish they put a little more effort into disguising it.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
well, I'd pretty much start here. why are they still driving that rickety POS RV? they haven't passed any new RV dealerships by now? or a broken down fuel truck where they can stock up on some gas? no, they were so tight on gas they couldn't backtrack and instead had to try to plow through (GPS must have told them new route was too long). oh, and even though they are tight on gas, they don't think to stop at the big traffic jam to grab some gas until they get stuck.

I don't have a real problem with them hanging onto the RV. People who own RVs often know how to fix them. They know what parts to get and how to put them back together. It seems like Dale is the only guy who has any automotive skills and if he feels like he can fix his RV better than he can fix some random truck that he's never maintained before, it's plausible enough to me. There's a lot to be said for owning a vehicle that isn't controlled by a computer when you're in a zombie apocalypse.

I also see Dale's RV as a manifestation of this: in times of great stress, people cling to the familiar and comforting, much as Sophia clings to her teddy bear. Dale's RV is a sort of portable home, comfortable and familiar.

Gas was a little tight, but they were on a road and passed many cars. It was just a convenient time to do it, with all those cars everywhere and since they had to stop anyway. I didn't see gas as an issue at all.

Quote:
the chase in the woods was fairly dumb too. sheriff and kid are being chased in the woods by two zombies. for some reason, these fit individuals can't outrun the zeds. sheriff apparently doesn't want to use the gun to avoid attracting other zombies. eventually, he uses a rock...but since this is a magic rock, he could only use it when no other living humans are around, because before he did it he sent the girl away. or that's what I'm assuming.

I didn't see any issue with this. He wanted to take them out. I am not sure if he was confident Sophia could out run them. There were two. The last thing he wanted was to have one get Sophia while he tried to kill the other, so he led them off to a safe distance to make sure of that. I see it as a solid plan. Sophia was the one who fucked up, but again, she's young and terrified. Perhaps Rick should have known better, but it was an extremely stressful situation and a snap judgment was made.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(GPS must have told them new route was too long).

IIRC something was said to that effect, I believe it was referenced as being Glen's GPS.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Great start to ep 2
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #422
gi
College Prospect

Love the flashbacks. Good stuff in this episode.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #423
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Post-game show Talking Dead ... got Robert Kirkman tonight, being distracted incessantly by the usually-funny-but-tonight-just-annoying Brian Posehn.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #424
Swaggs
Coordinator

Helloooooo, Maggie!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #425
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought that was a great episode and, at first glance, I really like the casting of Hershel's crew. I think in pairing it with the first, it did a nice job of making it clear that Lori has some issues and she is not the typical loving wife and mother that we often see in these types of supporting roles.

I'm not liking that the walkers seem to be able to run, though. I think one of the good parts of the mystique is that, once you get your wits about the situation, one or two at a time are not terribly threatening and it isn't until you get overwhelmed (a la Shane and Otis) that you are in real trouble.

Spoiler for the Comic Book folks:

Spoiler
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #426
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree that the walkers do seem to be able to shuffle quite quickly. They aren't quite running, but are definitely moving at a swifter pace than your typical slow-moving zombie. They are somehwere between Romero's initial slow moving shamblers and the fast zombies of the Dawn of The Dead re-make. Maybe closer to the shamblers than the sprinters, but not too much closer.

It was a fun episode.

Lori definitely has her issues. She's not totally pleasant even under the best of circumstances. But I guess that's something they've been developing over time. There's been that tension between what Lori wants in a husdand and who Rick is. Lori seems to desperately want someone passionate and completely devoted to her in every way. While Rick is devoted to her, he's definitely not a passionate guy and based on conversations in the past and his actions in the show, he's someone who while devoted to Lori in his way, is always trying to do everything for everyone, which makes Lori feel neglected or regulated to a secondary status. So, I can sort of see why she is the way she is, especially when it comes to her family.

I wasn't too sure about Shane and Otis' plan. The flares as a distraction was a good idea, but even as they were heading into the trailer I was questioning their escape plan. Hoping that the flares would keep the zombies distracted long enough was really wishful thinking on their part. They were very desperate, but I think the right idea might have been to distract them the way Glenn did with a car. Ideally it would have been one of the police cars, assuming they had keys in the ignition. If not, maybe Shane could have driven around in the pick-up, honked the horn and drawn the zombies away while Otis snuck in and got the stuff and waited for Shane to hightail it back to pick him up. Ideally big Otis would have been the one driving, but he was the only one of the two who knew what they needed.

That ending scene was awesome and terrifying.

Darryl just keeps getting better with every episode.

I like that they haven't found Sophia yet. It helps build the tension. I, too, thought she'd be at the farm, but now that she's not... I have no idea. Swaggs, your idea is as good as any.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Helloooooo, Maggie!

Indeed.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #428
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody know when the shows get uploaded? I watched the premiere for season 2, but I don't see the second episode up yet.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #429
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Anybody know when the shows get uploaded? I watched the premiere for season 2, but I don't see the second episode up yet.

I missed the premiere last week, but Comcast On Demand had it available the next evening, so I'm assuming episode 2 will be available tonight.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #430
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So far, I am two for two in terms of having zombie dreams on Sunday nights.

Since I love having zombie dreams, even in ones where I don't fare well, this is just an added bonus of watching Walking Dead right before going to bed.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #431
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
So far, I am two for two in terms of having zombie dreams on Sunday nights.

Since I love having zombie dreams, even in ones where I don't fare well, this is just an added bonus of watching Walking Dead right before going to bed.

Somehow, I picture your zombie dreams as you sitting on a cooler with a backpack and duffelbag in Detox's empty driveway, waiting for him to come home.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not liking that the walkers seem to be able to run, though.

FWIW, Kirkman talked about that a little bit on the aftershow last night. Basically they're capable of different speeds, never really running but as fast as a pretty good shamble. He said their mobility is based on how fresh they are, the newer the zombie, the more mobile they are.

I also thought the explanation -- which I'd read elsewhere but it was interesting to hear him talk about a little -- for why the characters on TV (and only rarely in the comic) don't say the word "zombie". In their world, the pop culture phenomenon around zombies never happened, so the things we take for granted (like head shots) aren't common knowledge to them, Romero, et al never happened in their universe.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #433
Kodos
Resident Alien

Very much enjoying the show. I do get annoyed a bit by fast zombies, and zombies who turn doorknobs (rewatched the pilot a couple of weeks ago), but overall, it is great having a zombie series on TV. Does it seem to anyone else like the redneck character has changed too quickly? We was full of a lot of anger last season. This season, he seems to have forgotten the aner.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #434
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Very much enjoying the show. I do get annoyed a bit by fast zombies, and zombies who turn doorknobs (rewatched the pilot a couple of weeks ago), but overall, it is great having a zombie series on TV. Does it seem to anyone else like the redneck character has changed too quickly? We was full of a lot of anger last season. This season, he seems to have forgotten the aner.

Wasn't the only zombie we've seen turning a door knob the wife of the black guy who saved Rick? If that's the case, I give that one a bit of a pass, because she's very fresh and her strong, strong desire to return to that house, to her husband and son.

I love Darryl. He may have mellowed out a bit, but from what I recall from the last couple of episodes he was coming around to the group.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #435
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wasn't the only zombie we've seen turning a door knob the wife of the black guy who saved Rick? If that's the case, I give that one a bit of a pass, because she's very fresh and her strong, strong desire to return to that house, to her husband and son.

I'm inclined to give that one a pass as well, although I'm trying to remember whether the one that went after the blonde in the RV did anything "normal" when trying to get her out of the bathroom. Or did he just tear blindly at the door in search of food?

Quote:
I love Darryl. He may have mellowed out a bit, but from what I recall from the last couple of episodes he was coming around to the group.

So far this season, his L&O one-liners have been worth any overly abrupt mood swing they might indicate.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #436
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm inclined to give that one a pass as well, although I'm trying to remember whether the one that went after the blonde in the RV did anything "normal" when trying to get her out of the bathroom. Or did he just tear blindly at the door in search of food?

I think he was just so sort of tear blindly at the door. If I recall, it was one of those weird doors that sort of fold up when you push at hinges in the middle, so just blinding clawing at it and pushing on it would eventually start to force it open, which seemed to be what happened.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #437
DataKing
Pro Rookie

We have seen evidence of a few zombies operating at a slightly higher level than most. A few examples thus far:
  1. The zombie of Morgan's wife trying the door handle
  2. After Glenn helps Rick escape from the tank and they start to climb the ladder on the side of the building, one zombie begins to climb after them.
  3. One zombie picks up a large rock/chunk of concrete and uses it to bash down the glass in the front of the department store.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #438
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
We have seen evidence of a few zombies operating at a slightly higher level than most. A few examples thus far:
  1. The zombie of Morgan's wife trying the door handle
  2. After Glenn helps Rick escape from the tank and they start to climb the ladder on the side of the building, one zombie begins to climb after them.
  3. One zombie picks up a large rock/chunk of concrete and uses it to bash down the glass in the front of the department store.

I remember the ladder crawling zombie. Wasn't a fan of that. Zombies shouldn't be climbing ladders or anything really.

I also remember the rock-wielding zombie. Not a huge fan of that either, but one of the first ever "traditional" zombies ever on screen, in "Night of The Living Dead", did pick up a rock to try to smash Barbara's car window when she was at the cemetary.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #439
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, Kirkman didn't flinch last night when the host said (during a true/false segment) that zombies could climb trees.

I got the feeling they're going to be allowed (in this universe) to do anything physically reasonable that an animal would do ... and animals would climb trees, a few would also climb a ladder.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #440
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Lori definitely has her issues. She's not totally pleasant even under the best of circumstances. But I guess that's something they've been developing over time. There's been that tension between what Lori wants in a husdand and who Rick is. Lori seems to desperately want someone passionate and completely devoted to her in every way. While Rick is devoted to her, he's definitely not a passionate guy and based on conversations in the past and his actions in the show, he's someone who while devoted to Lori in his way, is always trying to do everything for everyone, which makes Lori feel neglected or regulated to a secondary status. So, I can sort of see why she is the way she is, especially when it comes to her family.
She is really annoying in a
Spoiler
way.

Spoiler

Anyhow, it was a great episode last night. I'm pulling for Shane more and more now.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: RA's second spoiler ... I've read what you're talking about, but I honestly wonder whether the TV version is even going to go there. It could, but my guess is that we won't see that for at least another couple of weeks & at most it'll be used as a convenient device to push the group elsewhere & get us to the next likely destination in time for season 1.5 after the mid-season break.

edit to add: I do think there was a line of dialogue last night that foreshadowed what you're talking about, so I'm now leaning toward it being an issue, but I'm still not sure it'll be something they do a ton with either.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2011 at 09:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #442
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I missed the premiere last week, but Comcast On Demand had it available the next evening, so I'm assuming episode 2 will be available tonight.

And still not up unless I'm missing something.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #443
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
edit to add: I do think there was a line of dialogue last night that foreshadowed what you're talking about, so I'm now leaning toward it being an issue, but I'm still not sure it'll be something they do a ton with either.

Yeah, I had this exact thought during that particular conversation between Herschel and Rick on the porch. I felt it set up quite nicely.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #444
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Somehow, I picture your zombie dreams as you sitting on a cooler with a backpack and duffelbag in Detox's empty driveway, waiting for him to come home.

For the record, this would be more like my zombie reality. I'd have Lady H_B riding shotgun, my dog in the back and a spot in the back seat for Detox and his guns and ammos and supplies. Sadly, the closest things I have to weapons at my house are some gardening tools.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #445
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Good news.

'The Walking Dead' gets third season | Inside TV | EW.com
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #446
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Good news, both from the perspective that we get to enjoy another season, but also because the writers can now plan and map out how much of the graphic novel material they want to use without worrying about rushing it or being cancelled without hitting some of the cool spots.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #447
Subby
lolzcat

Good stuff this week. I like their treatment of Hershel and Otis a lot more than I liked them in the comics. Great job building suspense over the bullet wound.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #448
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good stuff this week. I like their treatment of Hershel and Otis a lot more than I liked them in the comics. Great job building suspense over the bullet wound.

Just wondering (since I didn't watch Deadwood & didn't recognize the actor), did the casting of Otis influence your feeling about him on TV?

I gather that the guy playing him has at least some sort of following, thinking of that made me wonder if your different impression was from a significantly difference in the actual character or if it might be from something along the lines of "the actor delivers the character better than the cartoonist/artist".

Maybe that's an odd question {shrug}, just kind of crossed my mind & figured I'd ask.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #449
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Herschel was pretty spot on. Otis was good casting. The comics are a little flat in characterization to me.

Andrea is another one with more character (albeit not very likeable).
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #450
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, and I never saw Deadwood