Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #451
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not watching the game, but what are you seeing going on?

Box score says:

** Fouls: OKC 11, Portland 10
** FTA: Portland 11, OKC 6

I don't think I've ever seen a stat line like that in my life in a game I watched and said 'yep, the team with twice as many trips to the line is definitely getting hosed here'. So what's the actual view on the court?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-23-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

50/50 calls seem to end up in the OKC column
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #453
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm seeing Dame go the fuck off, not sure about anything else.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #454
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Insane
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #455
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ball didn't lie
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #456
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Some good ones in here. Blazers official and Chandler Parsons in particular.

NBA players react to Damian Lillard's series clinching game-winner
Old 04-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #457
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lost in that insane finish is the fact that Russ took 31 shots to get 29 points... and took 80 shots in the series to get 85 points. Yikes.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #458
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 AM   #459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Lost in that insane finish is the fact that Russ took 31 shots to get 29 points... and took 80 shots in the series to get 85 points. Yikes.

And if I eyeballed the pbp accurately, did not score a point in the final 10:11 of the game.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #460
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SVP last night said 'When they do the story of Westbrook's career will it be a 30 for 30, a 10 for 30'

Cheap shot but I laughed more than I should have
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #461
spleen1015
Coordinator

It's Iverson all over again, scoring less points than shots you take.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #462
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Iverson didn't have the rebounding & assists though. I also think Westbrook is a better defender, though both are overrated by steals because they gamble a lot. I think Westbrook's contract extension would terrify me and he shouldn't have won MVP, but all the people hating on him now were probably hating on Lillard after last year's playoffs. Both are top 20-25 players in the league & Damian Lillard going supernova for one series doesn't make Russ overrated.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #463
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

https://mobile.twitter.com/sung_mink...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #464
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How did Montrezl Harrell not get a better FA offer than 2/12 this off-season? He's worth at least 2x that much, if not more
Old 04-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #465
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How did Montrezl Harrell not get a better FA offer than 2/12 this off-season? He's worth at least 2x that much, if not more

Simple: he hadn't shown what we're seeing until this year.

A lot of that was a matter of opportunity - his per 100 stats aren't changed much offensively - but as it was the 2/12 quadrupled his previous salary so it wasn't like it was the worst offer in the world either.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #466
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So the last two first-round series to finish up involve the top two teams in the West, third and fourth overall. That's not a bet I would have taken in pre-season.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #467
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Simple: he hadn't shown what we're seeing until this year.

A lot of that was a matter of opportunity - his per 100 stats aren't changed much offensively - but as it was the 2/12 quadrupled his previous salary so it wasn't like it was the worst offer in the world either.

Montrezl showed flashes when he was an injury sub at times with the Rockets, and then got some more PT after the Blake trade last year. I'm a relative novice when it comes.to.watching basketball and I saw the potential last year.

The scouts and front office people (for other teams) should have known better. They just dropped the ball.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-27-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #468
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Montrezl showed flashes when he was an injury sub at times with the Rockets, and then got some more PT after the Blake trade last year. I'm a relative novice when it comes.to.watching basketball and I saw the potential last year.

The scouts and front office people (for other teams) should have known better. They just dropped the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the guy. I'm just saying that 2/12 really wasn't unreasonably low at the time he was signed
Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #469
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the guy. I'm just saying that 2/12 really wasn't unreasonably low at the time he was signed

Oh yea for sure given the lack of interest, he got what he could. I'm just pointing out that the hints to his potential were out there for other front offices to see, but they quite frankly dropped the ball.

Now, to be fair, there is a ceiling on Montrezl. He is always going to be the physically aggressive energy guy. He hasn't shown much toward refining shooting skills or perfecting technique or what not. At 25 and three years in the league, you want to see more development by now. All that said, his will to play and enthusiasm to go along with superior physicality makes him both underrated and fun to watch.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #470
Groundhog
Coordinator

Vintage DeRozan performance so far.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #471
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Pretty nice game 1 for the Celtics. The Bucks shooters will hit a couple more 3's & we'll miss a few more mid-rangers, but if the refs don't get whistle happy and let us play good, physical on-ball defense on Giannis those swarming tactics definitely threw off his game and the series will be a toss up. Aron Baynes ankle will be something to monitor (and if he can't play Semi should definitely be getting the minutes over Theis.) Bad day for any remaining Al Horford is overpaid/overrated people. Jaylen Brown was a complete monster on defense, helping on Giannis & still effectively closing out shooters. Tatum played very poorly on offense, we had like 8 FT attempts (not that that part is likely to change), and still put up 112 points.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #472
miami_fan
Coordinator

At what point do the Warriors start to figuratively try to break Harden’s arm instead of all these touch fouls?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:04 AM   #473
Danny
Head Coach

I really hope the rockets lose, cant stand their whining
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:06 AM   #474
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No way Popovich was going to retire before coaching the Olympic team, but it'll be interesting to see how long of a contract he signs this time around because I've always assumed he won't want to stay around long after that. He's always got to keep the sardonic wit going too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Popovich
I'm currently in negotiations and could very well end up with either the Portofino Flyers or the Positano Pirates. I think it's like one-third Positano, one-third Portofino and one-third San Antonio. So, we'll see where I end up.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-30-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #475
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How many hypothetical points do the rockets get to add for having harden in the locker room during this game?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #476
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
How many hypothetical points do the rockets get to add for having harden in the locker room during this game?

53, according to their calculations
Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #477
Danny
Head Coach

Using their in depth double dribble corner three simulation engine of course
Old 04-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #478
stevew
Hall Of Famer

+ .7 points cause PJ Tucker had to fart
Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #479
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did the refs just decide to get the Rockets back in the game?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #480
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Did the refs just decide to get the Rockets back in the game?

Perfect time to quiet the narrative a bit while not really affecting the outcome too much
Old 05-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #481
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Been hearing Kirk Goldsberry making the podcast rounds to support his new book. One of his main points is that we need to start looking at playing with the 3-pt line before every team goes the Rockets route... I've always been on board with widening the court & making corner 3's the same distance as top of the break ones, but what about a more radical idea where you keep the court width but expand the line so it's just eliminated in the corners? Or even his crazier idea where NBA teams could (within a limit) decide how far out they want the 3-pt line in their arenas? (Another slight one to at least create more movement was adding in a 3 seconds call for standing in the corner, similar to the 3 in the key rule.)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #482
bhlloy
Coordinator

Reading the article equivalent in the Athletic the other day - I quite like the idea of moving the line season by season based on where the expected points per 3 pointer would match the expected points per 2 pointer, maybe over the average for the previous season or the past few seasons. This would still reward 3 point shooters who could shoot at a clip significantly above the league average, but would also re-emphasize the inside and mid-range game.

I do think something needs to be done, I'm sure there are kids coming through youth basketball now who are taught nothing but to shoot the long three.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone suggested making it like softball so you’re first X number of 3s count as 3s and after that they just count as 2. Maybe you get 10 made threes per game and every 3 made after the penalty kicks in counts as 3 (and not against your 10)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone suggested making it like softball so you’re first X number of 3s count as 3s and after that they just count as 2.

Have I missed a softball rule somewhere?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #485
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Have I missed a softball rule somewhere?

Some men's slowpitch leagues play different home run rules.
Like Class B allows 1 guy to hit unlimited homeruns but anyone else hits one it is an out.
Class C all homers are outs etc
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Some men's slowpitch leagues play different home run rules.
Like Class B allows 1 guy to hit unlimited homeruns but anyone else hits one it is an out.
Class C all homers are outs etc

Now that you say it I've got some (very) faint recollection of hearing about that. Can't say I've ever seen it played that way (nor that I'd want to).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #487
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
what about a more radical idea where you keep the court width but expand the line so it's just eliminated in the corners? Or even his crazier idea where NBA teams could (within a limit) decide how far out they want the 3-pt line in their arenas? (Another slight one to at least create more movement was adding in a 3 seconds call for standing in the corner, similar to the 3 in the key rule.)

I like both of these ideas. I just want to see guys not be shamed for taking the mid range jumper. Not because I have a great love for the mid range, but because I have a love for drives to the hoop. Sometimes you have to take that pull up in order to get the defender to respect the drive. Percentages aside, I prefer KD's shot chart from Game 2 to James Harden's
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #488
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I do think something needs to be done, I'm sure there are kids coming through youth basketball now who are taught nothing but to shoot the long three.

I would not say that the majority are taught to shoot the long three. I would say the kids prefer to shoot the long three because it is cool. Sort of like kids doing reverse layups or attempting dunks as opposed going straight in and laying it up of the glass. Now whether they have developed the range to shoot from 21 feet at the age of 10-11 is a different story.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #489
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thing is, I think as the playoffs have shown, playing like the Rockets will only get you so far. It's min/max analytic basketball taken to the extreme. I don't see a need to change it necessarily, because I think it can be countered, especially by not turning the ball over and giving up easy looks. I doubt the NBA feels a need to change it either, because everyone wants to see 3s and dunks. What they don't want to see is FTs, and that's the area where the league needs to be smarter, because I doubt anyone wants to see any player milking his way to the line for 15-20 attempts in a game. Let your stars miss contested shots without blowing a whistle, because defensive rebounds lead to highlight plays, but FT attempts don't.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #490
Kodos
Resident Alien

How Mapping Shots In The NBA Changed It Forever | FiveThirtyEight

Interesting article on 538.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #491
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Who are these announcers doing the Celtics/Bucks game on ESPN? They are awful.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #492
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think Giannis is the most fun player I’ve ever watched. When he can beat somebody at the three point line, put the ball on the floor and dunk with two steps it’s incredible viewing. If he ever develops that three point shot, he might break the game.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 AM   #493
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow this Denver -Portland game is great 4th OT.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #494
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The buzz/energy in this town around the Blazers is insane right now. This week they were even on the cover of both the free indie newspapers in town (as opposed to politics, hamburgers or weed), and there is that storybook feel around town, with folks in jerseys high-fiving strangers in the streets at random/all hours. We'll see if it actually ends up that way, but tons of fun so far.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-04-2019 at 01:18 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #495
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does Embiid gets more superstar calls offensively and defensively than Steph Curry? Cause it feels like Embiid gets more superstar calls than Steph Curry.

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #496
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Does Embiid gets more superstar calls offensively and defensively than Steph Curry? Cause it feels like Embiid gets more superstar calls than Steph Curry.

Weird to post after a game with multiple instances where i saw multiple toronto defenders pretty much hanging onto whatever they could grab.

In general i think he simply provokes a ton of illegal contact by being that strong and coordinated.

Weird to compare with a guy like Curry rather than other big men.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 AM   #497
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pat Connaughton does not look like an NBA player. Literally looks like a fan from the stands who got a jersey or something.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #498
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Weird to post after a game with multiple instances where i saw multiple toronto defenders pretty much hanging onto whatever they could grab.

In general i think he simply provokes a ton of illegal contact by being that strong and coordinated.

Weird to compare with a guy like Curry rather than other big men.

The emphasis was on the superstar part more than style of play. Embiid gets the benefit of the doubt on more calls both offensively and defensively than Steph imo. He gets the traditional superstar calls. Steph gets officiated more in line with the rank and file players than with the superstars of the game. Maybe there is an analytic review out there that Embiid legitimately gets fouled more and fouls less than Curry.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #499
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, Steph does not get many of the "superstar" calls. I think it's entirely a function of his style of play, though. Even as an unabashed and huge fanboy of his, Steph occasionally gets dramatic on three point attempts while playing for a foul.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #500
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty crazy how Giannis can get to the hoop so quickly. One dribble and he's dunking