Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #751
Logan
Head Coach

Did Aaron Paul really raise over $2 million so his wife could travel around and lecture against female bullying, as he indicated on Talking Bad? Or was there a bit more to it than that and he made it sound pretty bad on purpose?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #752
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Did Aaron Paul really raise over $2 million so his wife could travel around and lecture against female bullying, as he indicated on Talking Bad? Or was there a bit more to it than that and he made it sound pretty bad on purpose?

It was part of a raffle to win a trip to LA to watch the finale with Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston. There was a real anti-bullying non-profit involved, I have no idea what they actually do though. Edit: I don't think they expected to raise anywhere close to that much, but Breaking Bad fans went a little nuts trying to get that grand prize.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #753
Easy Mac

I was a bit gleeful as Jessie choked the life out of Todd.

I was kind of hoping Lydia's kid would drink some Stevia as well.

Also, poor advertisement for stevia based products.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #754
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I assumed the part woth Jessie building a box was a flash forward to tell us he lived before the ending came. Thats how I took it. Seems to have recovered fine.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #755
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Nah it was Jesse's happy place

Quotes from relevant episode

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 09-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #756
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
I assumed the part woth Jessie building a box was a flash forward to tell us he lived before the ending came. Thats how I took it. Seems to have recovered fine.

It was a flashback from the story he told in rehab.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #757
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm gonna go ahead and call it a flash forward.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #758
Pyser
Pro Rookie

pretty good finale. couldve used more jesse. cant complain though

in the end, that was a LONG way to go to leave $9m to his kids. wonder where the other $70m ended up.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #759
Logan
Head Coach

I think it was a daydream based on the past moment that he cherished. The snap of his leash pretty much woke him out of it.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #760
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it was a daydream based on the past moment that he cherished. The snap of his leash pretty much woke him out of it.

That's pretty much exactly how both Paul & Gilligan described it on Talking Bad afterwards.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #761
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's pretty much exactly how both Paul & Gilligan described it on Talking Bad afterwards.

I watched that, so it's entirely possible that I took those words directly from them.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I watched that, so it's entirely possible that I took those words directly from them.

ftr (I guess), I had no clue whether you were channeling them directly or indirectly (i.e. I wasn't taking a shot or nothing)

I just figured I'd back your interpretation up, it's pretty much spot on to what was intended.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #763
Logan
Head Coach

No, no shot perceived.

With the amount of stuff I read about this show, I can barely remember what my own original thoughts were.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #764
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
in the end, that was a LONG way to go to leave $9m to his kids. wonder where the other $70m ended up.

I'd guess the DEA ends up with it after investigating everything that happened at the nazi compound.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #765
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'd guess the DEA ends up with it after investigating everything that happened at the nazi compound.

Yeah. It would all go to the government, unless Jack really did hide it somewhere super secret like he seemed to imply at the end there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I thought about that a little bit, I guess it depends on what Jack did with it. The whole attempt to tell Walt where it was might have sorta implied it wasn't on site.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #767
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The whole attempt to tell Walt where it was implied he didn't want to get shot in the head.

And if sitting on $70M for 6 months only gets you a new Barcalounger, you're doing it wrong.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #768
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

My only problem with the ending was Walt arriving at the compound. If you are going to waste the guy, do you really need to let him in and have a conversation first? Why not just shoot him at the gate?

Overall I thought the episode was good, and obviously things need to happen for the story to work. But when he arrived at the gate, I just assumed the showdown would happen there.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #769
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
My only problem with the ending was Walt arriving at the compound. If you are going to waste the guy, do you really need to let him in and have a conversation first? Why not just shoot him at the gate?

And Uncle Jack bringing out Jesse just to prove his integrity to a man he's about to kill was a bit of a stretch.....I don't care though. The last episode wasn't the best of the season, but the whole season package together was still an A+.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #770
Logan
Head Coach

I know that has been picked on a good amount, but for me they kind of get a pass there. The only reason Walt needed that time for Jesse to be brought out was because the guy took his car keys off him when he was searched, and if you want to play the reality game, you could argue that they would have had no reason not to hand him his keys back. So the stall tactic was needed because the writers chose to separate Walt from his keys. If he has his keys, he can turn on the gun as soon as he gets in there.

Last edited by Logan : 09-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #771
nol
Banned

When I think of the enormous list of things Breaking Bad glossed over that would have been awesome episodes on their own, the story of the most wanted man in America somehow driving all the way across the country and keeping law enforcement off his tail while also arranging everything with Badger, Skinny Pete, the machine gun, the ricin, etc., etc. has to be the clear-cut number one.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #772
Radii
Head Coach

I liked the close to The Colbert Report after his interview with Vince Gilligan last night.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #773
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
pretty good finale. couldve used more jesse. cant complain though

That's not the point. When Walt admitted he had done everything for himself and not his family, the $70M wasn't a factor any more. He redeemed himself throughout the episode and left his family enough to survive him on. The other $70M represented his greed, which he threw aside when he admitted he did it for himself and he got one last look at his daughter.

I can't remember if it was IGN's review or if it was Talking Bad, but they said that Walt was universal. He represented most of us who had a chance at greatness and for some reason threw it away. When presented a second chance, he went full throttle and grabbed the brass ring.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #774
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I liked the close to The Colbert Report after his interview with Vince Gilligan last night.

Keep typing BITCH!!! LMAO
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #775
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Enjoyed the finale very much. However, thought it was tied up too neatly.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #776
Pyser
Pro Rookie

having a few days to think about it, im getting a bit less happy with the last season.

i know it was walts story all along, but jesse was a borderline afterthought in the final few episodes, and as much as we didnt care about skylar and walt jr for much of the show, their final fall out with walt was weak, too.

its tough to rate it, considering how amazing the 3rd to last episode was, but i think way too much went right for walt in that last episode. it almost didnt feel like a breaking bad episode with how it played out. more like an action movie.

just as i was typing this, i found an la times article from today spilling other alternate endings, and its a pretty easy call that they are all worse than the one aired:

'Breaking Bad' finale: Vince Gilligan shares alternative endings - latimes.com
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #777
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
having a few days to think about it, im getting a bit less happy with the last season.

i know it was walts story all along, but jesse was a borderline afterthought in the final few episodes, and as much as we didnt care about skylar and walt jr for much of the show, their final fall out with walt was weak, too.

There was too much to have a perfect final episode. The material covered was easily three episodes' worth. I see it more as a postscript to the story that essentially ended with Walt reaching the cabin in New Hampshire.

I think Jesse's story ended with the money going out the window. He might blame Walt for everything that happened around him, but he was merely the portrait to Heisenberg's Dorian Gray. His outcome was never all that important to the story. He became a minor character this season, simply a mechanism to give Walt a more heroic ending. His story was told. If we see him 20 years from now with a wife and family, it's an uncomfortable distraction.

I could see Jesse going out like that guy with cancer on The Sopranos who offed the bad guy, then crashed his car into a pole while coughing up blood (an homage like that to The Sopranos would have been great). But that ending for Jesse would have been more appropriate with the money out the window subplot. Gilligan chose instead to use it to set up Hank's death and the need for revenge finale against Jack/Todd. We couldn't have Jesse die in the finale because it's Walt's story.

As for Skyler, I think she was redeemed this season. That was her role this season. She accepted Walt's actions for what they were. That cost him her love - which is understandable considering the risk he exposed his family to (ultimately resulting in Hank's death) and ostensibly shown with Todd holding Holly hostage temporarily. She remained loyal to the family, a test Jesse failed. Because her motivation is Junior and Holly. She might have been a more minor character this season, but I think her story was well told. Junior is still just a kid. His role was always ornamental.

The genius of the final episode wasn't in the machine gun. It was in Walt's ability to both avenge his mistreatment by Gretchen/Elliott without violence, and, at the same time, figure out how to get the money to his family without anyone knowing how.

"If we're going to go that way, you're going to need a bigger knife."

There wasn't a better line in the entire series, and it perfectly encapsulated Walt's growth over the past two years.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #778
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
its tough to rate it, considering how amazing the 3rd to last episode was, but i think way too much went right for walt in that last episode. it almost didnt feel like a breaking bad episode with how it played out. more like an action movie.

The comments/reviews I've seen lamenting the fact that everything goes right for Walt in the last episode are valid I think, but I don't think I really care about it that much. Ozymandias is the clear high point of the series, there is no possible thing they could have done in the finale to match that. The next to last episode, Granite State, showed the further fallout from that. The finale is just the last effort by Walt for resolution. I'm not quite sure it matters to me how it ended after the previous two episodes, I just needed to see as much stuff resolved as possible.

Walt has had a lot of insane plans go right, so that by itself isn't a problem for me. I think the comment from Dan Fienberg was "none of these things make sense in the real world, of course, but they make sense in the Breaking Bad universe, so its ok" in regards to the ridiculous amount of things that could have/should have gone wrong for Walt in the last episode.

After Ozymandias, I was prepared for literally anything. I actually *predicted* a Marie suicide. I was prepared for a Walt, Jr or Baby Holly death. As awful as things were for Jesse in the last two episodes, I imagined that something even worse would happen in the finale. But it turns out that the last two episodes (and most of the last season) were all about the destruction, and instead the finale was about a small bit of redemption once Walt is finally honest with everyone around him for the first time in 2 years/6 seasons. I'm fine with that.

I do get the discomfort with how neatly everything ended, totally. It just doesn't bother me personally.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #779
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think jesse couldve died in the desert, or gotten away right then somehow and never been heard from again, and somehow that wouldve been more of an impactful ending than being imprisoned by nazi's for 2 episodes (and a few months, obviously). jesse's killing todd at the end was fine, but we didnt spend 60 episodes hoping he'd kill a nazi. we wanted it to be between him and walt.

or at least i did.

again, we are splitting hairs here over what is clearly a top 5 ever drama, but i think jesse was mishandled in the end.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #780
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its also very interesting to read that the nazi gang became the bad guys in the last season because the writers showed walt buying a machine gun in a flash forward, and then they decided it needed to be used on a group, not just one person
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #781
tarcone
Coordinator

What about the flash forward when the 2 guys were at the cafe and they went in the bathroom and the one cleaned the blood off his shoe. Maybe I missed something or forgot. But what did that tie into too?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #782
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What about the flash forward when the 2 guys were at the cafe and they went in the bathroom and the one cleaned the blood off his shoe. Maybe I missed something or forgot. But what did that tie into too?

That wasn't a flash forward. It was after the previous episode's conclusion where the Nazis wiped out Declan's crew.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #783
Groundhog
Coordinator

Really, the ending was pretty clear from basically the first episode of season 5. This was about the journey more than the destination - that we got an actual conclusivefinale that tied up loose threads and was satisfying is fine in my books. I like that Walt didn't repent, and the fact that he died by his own hands rather than the DEA or anyone else was in line with what happened throughout the show - he's the best at what he did.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #784
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

IIRC that was more about re-introducing the Nazis after a few episodes away. It might have also been a bit of an homage to Tarantino style dialogue, with Todd giving an incredibly entertaining recount of the train robbery while the poor waitress serves the guys with swastika tattoos.

I believe it was important for two other reasons... 1) It showed how much respect Todd had for "Mister White" which became critical later on, and it ended up leading to an interesting moment with Jesse's confession video later. Todd leaves out the part of the story where he shot the kid, even though he is clearly a sociopath and had no issues with doing that. The rest of the Nazis find out about that from Jesse's confession, leading to another super creepy Todd scene where he is clearly proud of everything he's done as Jesse recounts it.

The blood on the shoe I don't think had any major point, except maybe to set the timeline (that lets us know it was right after the shootout where the nazis take out Declan's meth operation.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #785
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
i think jesse couldve died in the desert, or gotten away right then somehow and never been heard from again, and somehow that wouldve been more of an impactful ending than being imprisoned by nazi's for 2 episodes (and a few months, obviously). jesse's killing todd at the end was fine, but we didnt spend 60 episodes hoping he'd kill a nazi. we wanted it to be between him and walt.

or at least i did.

again, we are splitting hairs here over what is clearly a top 5 ever drama, but i think jesse was mishandled in the end.

Many seem to think and I am in that group that Walt went into the Nazi camp with the intent to kill Jack's group but also Jesse. He was felt it was a slap to his empire that Jesse was cooking for them, hence the partnership insinuation. When he saw the situation Jesse was in and the pain he had endured that brought back that fatherly instinct.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #786
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

or at least i did.

It was between Walt and Jesse in the end. It was maybe briefer than you wanted it to be, but I respect that moreso than dragging it out over an unnecessary half hour. Jesse got out from under Heisenberg and got away. They even shared a brief moment of mutual understanding, if not friendship.

I agree that it seemed like everybody else kinda got the short end of the stick, story-wise. But I also feel like the last season especially felt like it was at a breakneck pace, and honestly that is part of the reason people love it. If the goal was ultimately to tell Walt's story and keep it interesting, I don't think you could spend another 6 episodes on everyone else's fallout and still keep that same intensity.

I think they did as good a job as they could, and maybe while not perfect... I think the final episode ranks up there with the greatest episodes of the show. The scene with Gretchen and Elliot... the scene where Walt FINALLY admits that he did it all for himself... and the very last shot of Walt, with the call back to the "Crawl Space" scene and the music... two things the show was really known for: some great musical choices and unbelievable direction.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #787
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Jesse got out from under Heisenberg and got away. They even shared a brief moment of mutual understanding, if not friendship.

this in the end, i think, is the part that bothers me.

first off, i dont see how jesse just walks away. the dea knows everything. even even the nazi's intercepted jesse's confession, marie knows everything too. and i could be wrong, but i dont know that jesse left this with any money at all. it's not a happy ending for him, i dont think, if you look past his liberation.

also, this moment of friendship at the end is a giant leap from the last time we saw walt and jesse together, where walt says he watched jane die...no matter how much torture jesse endured since then (which, by the way, was also walt's fault).

again, i loved the show, really enjoyed the last episode, but getting just a little bit of distance from it, i dont think it stayed very true to the rest of the show.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #788
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
this in the end, i think, is the part that bothers me.

first off, i dont see how jesse just walks away. the dea knows everything. even even the nazi's intercepted jesse's confession, marie knows everything too. and i could be wrong, but i dont know that jesse left this with any money at all. it's not a happy ending for him, i dont think, if you look past his liberation.

also, this moment of friendship at the end is a giant leap from the last time we saw walt and jesse together, where walt says he watched jane die...no matter how much torture jesse endured since then (which, by the way, was also walt's fault).

again, i loved the show, really enjoyed the last episode, but getting just a little bit of distance from it, i dont think it stayed very true to the rest of the show.

Hank and the other guy were working off the books at the time so I don't think the DEA knows. The Nazi's stole Jessie's confession from Hank's house so I would assume has been destroyed. And Marie has probably got other things on her plate especially since Jessie was on their side so I doubt she would go after Jessie either.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #789
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Jesse got full closure at the end. Walt wanted to use him for one more thing, wring some more usefulness out of him, and Jesse told him to fuck off.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #790
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Hank and the other guy were working off the books at the time so I don't think the DEA knows. The Nazi's stole Jessie's confession from Hank's house so I would assume has been destroyed. And Marie has probably got other things on her plate especially since Jessie was on their side so I doubt she would go after Jessie either.

Though it's very possible that during the search of the Nazi's compound that the DEA or police would find the DVD with Jesse's confession. Unless, of course, the Nazis destroyed it after watching it. It's possible they did that, since they - or at the very least Todd by name - were implicated by it.

Personally, I like to think Jesse got away and was never arrested. The guy suffered enough. He was burnt out and broken.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #791
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Hank and the other guy were working off the books at the time so I don't think the DEA knows.

i mean, walt seemed to be on the most wanted list nationwide. pretty sure hank working off book doesnt matter anymore.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #792
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Ok, how does the DEA know anything about Jesse then?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #793
Pyser
Pro Rookie

marie, for starters, who wanted justice from minute one

secondly, its a massive, months long, nationwide drug investigation. months had passed before walt came back to town. its a stretch to assume jesse would not come up in the investigation.

finally, jesse pointed a gun at walt in the final shoot out, dropped it, and left, and we see cops show up. there's finger prints there.

there's a million ways for the dea to know about jesse.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #794
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
marie, for starters, who wanted justice from minute one

secondly, its a massive, months long, nationwide drug investigation. months had passed before walt came back to town. its a stretch to assume jesse would not come up in the investigation.

finally, jesse pointed a gun at walt in the final shoot out, dropped it, and left, and we see cops show up. there's finger prints there.

there's a million ways for the dea to know about jesse.

This is all absolutely correct IMO. Jesse is completely doomed.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #795
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
This is all absolutely correct IMO. Jesse is completely doomed.

In all truth, Jesse was doomed before the first episode ever aired.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #796
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Started watching again from the beginning to try and catch all the "little things" I missed. I forgot about some of the things mentioned in this thread....

I know the show would have sucked, had he done this..... But Why didn't Walt just take Gretchen and Elliot up on their offer to pay for all his treatments? He wasn't really "Heisenberg" yet, so he wasn't in "love" with his new identity...

Was it only Pride? or did I miss something else? it seems like they made the offer willingly, even mentioning that he "deserved" the money because of his contribution to the company. I just watched that episode and agree with his family that he was being "selfish" not to consider it.....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #797
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Combination of pride, already given himself up for dead and confidence that if he wants to "waste" money on treatment he could so himself.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #798
molson
General Manager

It wasn't necessary to do so, but it was never quite explained how he went from brilliant co-founder of a company to underpaid high school teacher. I get he left Gray Matter due to some kind of personal issue with Gretchen, but surely there could be some middle ground, and I think there was some reference to Walt working at some other company in between.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #799
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Combination of pride, already given himself up for dead and confidence that if he wants to "waste" money on treatment he could so himself.

But it was mainly pride. Pride was Walter White's tragic flaw.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #800
Landshark44
High School Varsity

yes, I thought they could have explained along the way....

why Walt "left/was asked to leave" Grey Matter
why he was so bitter that he wouldn't take them up on their offer to help

just a minor thing, I know. I just bought it up in case I missed something that was obvious to everyone else....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote