Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #901
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Surprised this didn't get talked about.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html

Since this seems to be the 2nd incident, I wonder when Rampage gets talked to from the higher ups. I can't imagine you want a guy going around and dry humping female reporters.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #902
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Since this seems to be the 2nd incident, I wonder when Rampage gets talked to from the higher ups. I can't imagine you want a guy going around and dry humping female reporters.

She used shenanigans in a sentence, my kind of woman.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #903
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Traina: Will you be at UFC 100 this weekend?
Nichols: I won't be. But I still want to do things with UFC and work with CagePotato.com and Break.com. It's been a good experience and I hope to continue working with both Web sites.

Where there ya go. If it was a big deal to her, she would ask for immediate reassignment to horseracing and golf. So I'm guessing it's a non-issue.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #904
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I actually saw this clip some time over the weekend, either on Spike or G4 or somewhere and wondered what in the hell it was supposed to be. But in the clip I saw I would have sworn they even joked about it after the camera stopped rolling (that was one of the reasons it stood out to me at the time, they showed some a little bit of footage after the segment was clearly ended) and I definitely didn't get the impression she wasn't in on the joke.
I was about half paying attention so maybe I got the wrong idea but she definitely didn't strike me as having any problem with it at all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-22-2009 at 12:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #905
Calis
College Starter

Agree with Jon. It sure didn't look to be an awkward situation from what I saw.

Seems like she is probably enjoying the extra attention this is bringing.

That said Rampage does have a history of this stuff. He usually gets away with it because he's so goofy and I think that stuff went over better in Japan. He's bound to get himself in trouble one of these days.

Don't think much of anything will come of this.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #906
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vitor vs Fedor confirmed. Vitor is gonna fight around 195 I'd assume since he had a 185 fight scheduled for 3 as it is. This is probably going to wind up as Affliction's last show if you ask me, too much damage to overcome.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #907
Calis
College Starter

This is when they would have hoped that Cro Cop hadn't signed with UFC.
As far as fights that mean almost nothing that one at least has some history. Although I guess here that's not a seller either.

Been nice if they could have moved Werdum up since it sounds like Overeem is out of their match.

Yeah I think this is probably it for Affliction. Vitor is in the UFC after this and it sure seems like Fedor will be also but you never know with his management.

Sucks about Barnett. Would have liked to see him at least do well and maybe get back to the UFC. I actually though Brock/Barnett is a pretty interesting matchup. Moreso than anyone else currently in the UFC at least.

I will probably still get Affliction because I'm very interested in Babalu/Mousasi, and I have a hard time missing a Fedor fight.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #908
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
This is when they would have hoped that Cro Cop hadn't signed with UFC.
As far as fights that mean almost nothing that one at least has some history. Although I guess here that's not a seller either.

Been nice if they could have moved Werdum up since it sounds like Overeem is out of their match.

Yeah I think this is probably it for Affliction. Vitor is in the UFC after this and it sure seems like Fedor will be also but you never know with his management.

Sucks about Barnett. Would have liked to see him at least do well and maybe get back to the UFC. I actually though Brock/Barnett is a pretty interesting matchup. Moreso than anyone else currently in the UFC at least.

I will probably still get Affliction because I'm very interested in Babalu/Mousasi, and I have a hard time missing a Fedor fight.

I agree, I'll be watching.

Barnett won't ever be in UFC I don't think because he is such a flake it's impossible to trust him with a big fight.

Overeem is officially out of the Strikeforce show also. Rumor is they might strip him of the title but who knows. I wish Rogers would take the fight, as his camp offered to fight Fedor but Fedor wouldn't have any of it, but he turned down the initial Strikeforce offer to fight Overeem.

Heavyweight divisions in MMA are all f'd up at this point with so much uncertainty after Fedor and Brock.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Heavyweight divisions in MMA are all f'd up at this point with so much uncertainty after Fedor and Brock.

I dunno, Hassan Fezzik is still pretty much money
Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #910
Travis
Pro Rookie

I know the current cry is for a Brock/Fedor match, but I *really* am hoping Carwin dispatches Velasquez so we get to see him fight Lesnar. That could be a freaking epic clash imho.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #911
PilotMan
Head Coach

After what Velasquez did to Kongo, I don't know. That was an impressive, well rounded, ass whipping. It's nice to be talking about relevant Heavyweights again though.

Affliction is sure to be done after this. A Fedor-Belfort fight really doesn't interest me at all. I know that Belfort is on his way back up, but coming up 3 classes, against Fedor? And Fedor has nothing to gain in this fight either. A loss here kills a potential huge payday, he'll get money, but not as much. A win here gains what? A win over a possible top ten middleweight? Oooooh.

Of course, if Belfort wins, then he gets a big kick. But that's it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #912
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
After what Velasquez did to Kongo, I don't know. That was an impressive, well rounded, ass whipping. It's nice to be talking about relevant Heavyweights again though.

Affliction is sure to be done after this. A Fedor-Belfort fight really doesn't interest me at all. I know that Belfort is on his way back up, but coming up 3 classes, against Fedor? And Fedor has nothing to gain in this fight either. A loss here kills a potential huge payday, he'll get money, but not as much. A win here gains what? A win over a possible top ten middleweight? Oooooh.

Of course, if Belfort wins, then he gets a big kick. But that's it.

Fair enough and if Velasquez handles Carwin then he's already proven that he can take down a fighter who is about as similar in stature to Brock as you'll get right now (that I can think of offhand anyway), so that'd set up a pretty nice tilt as well.

No matter what though, I really hope Fedor has to put up or shut up soon. Looking at his opponents over the last couple years, well, more than a bit underwhelming, especially considering he was taking a pretty decent beating from Arlovski until he decided to go for the highlight finish (full marks to Fedor for having that scouted out and using it to his advantage, but the bigger point is that this wasn't Arlovski at his prime).

It'll be a win/win for MMA fans as Fedor either backs up the legend that has been created or we see a new breed of HW step up and take over the division. This is of course assuming that the UFC can get him under contract.

That said, if, and I know it could be a big if, Fedor comes into the UFC and is every bit as good as advertised, takes the belt from Brock, then who is the weakest champion?

Fedor, Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn

Hell, if Brock beats Fedor and retains, I'm guessing you'd still have to see Penn as the weakest link there?

Last edited by Travis : 07-22-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #913
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that Fedor's a lot tougher than he gets credit for. He is a whole league better than Mir. He hits harder, takes more punishment, and can remain cool in the worst of predicaments. He not only hits hard, but is dangerous in subs as well. I really like Lesnar, but he would need a very solid gameplan against an MMA master like Fedor.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #914
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think that Fedor's a lot tougher than he gets credit for. He is a whole league better than Mir. He hits harder, takes more punishment, and can remain cool in the worst of predicaments. He not only hits hard, but is dangerous in subs as well. I really like Lesnar, but he would need a very solid gameplan against an MMA master like Fedor.

Fair enough, but recently, who's faced better competition (going since 2007 to keep it comparable)?

Brock has had Mir, Couture, Herring, Mir and Kim

Fedor has had Arlovski, Sylvia, Choi and Lindland (plus Hunt in very late '06)

Arlovski (in his prime which it'd be hard to argue he was by the time he faced Fedor) *maybe* being the only one you could even come close to comparing to Brock, but even then it'd be an awful stretch. Obviously Brock hasn't faced anybody of Fedor's ilk to this point either, but he certainly hasn't been cherry picking opponents so it's hard to fault him on that front.

Three things that could work in Brock's favor:

1: He's getting better every fight out
2: He's (arguably) been facing tougher competition over the last two years
3: He's gone deeper into fights (as Fedor hasn't been taken out of the first round since October of '06)

For Fedor?

1: Vastly more experienced
2: Not as much recent film for Brock to really study

Fedor has what, 8:42 worth of fight time (not including the '06 new years eve match) over his last 4 fights, so if you're Lesnar and trying to do advance scouting, there's just a very limited amount of tape to work from, especially given that not many matches featured how Fedor would react to being in a bad position. That said, in the 11:25ish Brock has fought he certainly hasn't been on the defensive all that often, so this might end up being a relatively moot point which could make the first round of any initial matchup between these two very interesting indeed.

At some point Fedor will be under rated because of all the talk about how he's facing second rate opponents, etc, etc, but also, at some point, going up against has beens or never weres is bound to cut into your edge. Against a guy like Brock, it may only take that bit of rust to be his undoing.

From the UFC's perspective though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing Brock take down Fedor, have Fedor win a rematch to build towards a third and final matchup between the two while some of the newer HW guys build a name for themselves. Lots of money in a back and forth fued there.

Personally, I just really enjoy discussing potential matchups like this, and pressed, I certainly wouldn't want to have to pick between them right now. I just really want to see the fight and watch it unfold.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #915
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Vitor vs Fedor confirmed. Vitor is gonna fight around 195 I'd assume since he had a 185 fight scheduled for 3 as it is. This is probably going to wind up as Affliction's last show if you ask me, too much damage to overcome.
Apparently, he's walking around at 205 right now and could be up to 215, if this fight happens.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #916
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Fair enough and if Velasquez handles Carwin then he's already proven that he can take down a fighter who is about as similar in stature to Brock as you'll get right now (that I can think of offhand anyway), so that'd set up a pretty nice tilt as well.

No matter what though, I really hope Fedor has to put up or shut up soon. Looking at his opponents over the last couple years, well, more than a bit underwhelming, especially considering he was taking a pretty decent beating from Arlovski until he decided to go for the highlight finish (full marks to Fedor for having that scouted out and using it to his advantage, but the bigger point is that this wasn't Arlovski at his prime).

It'll be a win/win for MMA fans as Fedor either backs up the legend that has been created or we see a new breed of HW step up and take over the division. This is of course assuming that the UFC can get him under contract.

That said, if, and I know it could be a big if, Fedor comes into the UFC and is every bit as good as advertised, takes the belt from Brock, then who is the weakest champion?

Fedor, Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn

Hell, if Brock beats Fedor and retains, I'm guessing you'd still have to see Penn as the weakest link there?

I'm agreeing it would be Penn, but damn thats hella impressive if he's the weakest link, since he has only 1 lightweight loss in his entire career.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #917
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Fair enough, but recently, who's faced better competition (going since 2007 to keep it comparable)?

Brock has had Mir, Couture, Herring, Mir and Kim

Fedor has had Arlovski, Sylvia, Choi and Lindland (plus Hunt in very late '06)

Arlovski (in his prime which it'd be hard to argue he was by the time he faced Fedor) *maybe* being the only one you could even come close to comparing to Brock, but even then it'd be an awful stretch. Obviously Brock hasn't faced anybody of Fedor's ilk to this point either, but he certainly hasn't been cherry picking opponents so it's hard to fault him on that front.

Three things that could work in Brock's favor:

1: He's getting better every fight out
2: He's (arguably) been facing tougher competition over the last two years
3: He's gone deeper into fights (as Fedor hasn't been taken out of the first round since October of '06)

For Fedor?

1: Vastly more experienced
2: Not as much recent film for Brock to really study

Fedor has what, 8:42 worth of fight time (not including the '06 new years eve match) over his last 4 fights, so if you're Lesnar and trying to do advance scouting, there's just a very limited amount of tape to work from, especially given that not many matches featured how Fedor would react to being in a bad position. That said, in the 11:25ish Brock has fought he certainly hasn't been on the defensive all that often, so this might end up being a relatively moot point which could make the first round of any initial matchup between these two very interesting indeed.

At some point Fedor will be under rated because of all the talk about how he's facing second rate opponents, etc, etc, but also, at some point, going up against has beens or never weres is bound to cut into your edge. Against a guy like Brock, it may only take that bit of rust to be his undoing.

From the UFC's perspective though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing Brock take down Fedor, have Fedor win a rematch to build towards a third and final matchup between the two while some of the newer HW guys build a name for themselves. Lots of money in a back and forth fued there.

Personally, I just really enjoy discussing potential matchups like this, and pressed, I certainly wouldn't want to have to pick between them right now. I just really want to see the fight and watch it unfold.

I like discussing this also. It's an interesting scenario if Fedor signs there. For starters if it's Fedor/Brock we have this whole reverse Rocky deal where the American is the mammoth bad guy, and the Russian is the good guy. That's the interesting thing from a marketing standpoint. I'm not sure how they push Fedor to the general UFC public. If anyone deserves an immediate title shot it's him, and I can't see them risking him in another fight, but they have to make sure they build him properly. I guess Brock is going to sell PPV's at this point regardless of the opponent so maybe they don't care. I'd sure like to see something like this get the hype it deserves. Remember Fedor vs. Cro Cop and the buildup to that? That was epic, and the one major fight I can remember where the buildup and excitement was like a huge boxing match. It was a long time in the making though, so not quite the same. If Randy had stayed winning, a Randy vs. Fedor match would have been perfect for this.

It's win/win for the UFC with the fight. If Fedor wins they continue building him as this unflinching, robotic, unbeatable champion..and if he loses, well Brock beat the best and I'm sure Dana would be giddy over that.

As for the fight itself, I couldn't decide. Fedor obviously has the more well-rounded game. Brock has the obvious advantage physically, and with wrestling. I really think it would come down to the standup. The thing Brock did so impressively against Mir was his patience. The time he let Mir up for instance. He wasn't going on the ground unless he was in side control. He was having nothing to do with Mir's guard. He could let Mir up there because he wasn't overly concerned with his standup. Fedor has some awkward standup and at times defends a bit poorly(i.e. Arlovski) but he has power unlike Mir or Couture did.

Mir has a tendency to panic when he gets hurt or in a bad position, and seems to lose his head. Fedor will not do that. I think Lesnar was at times open for sweeps and the like, but of course that's hard to try when someone that strong and big is on top of you and beating the piss out of you. I think Randy did some nice work on Brock in close, and I would think Fedor could do similiar things and possibly use his Sambo to good effect.

With that, can you imagine what Fedor would look like after this fight win or lose? The guy seems to look wrecked half the time when he barely gets touched. I've always been most concerned he'll lose via a cut or stoppage, and with the way Brock's opponents look I can only imagine.

I'd definitely pull for Fedor to win, but I sure as hell wouldn't put money on it. I really wanted to see this Fedor/Barnett fight to get a better feel for where he was right now, because that Arlovski fight raised some questions.

Now that it's Fedor/Vitor it's a risky one. If he loses, he'll lose a huge chunk of credibility. All the talk about lackluster opponents then rings very true. He doesn't gain anything by winning. It's like when he fought Lindland. No one thought any higher of him, and he got a lot of flack for grabbing the ropes, people saying he'd have been in trouble if not. There's nothing to gain.

Vitor is the exact opposite. He's going to the UFC middleweight division, and this is actually safer for him. He was fighting Jorge Santiago which he should have won, but was a high caliber opponent. Now a loss means nothing to him, it's up a couple weight classes against the best in the world. A win and he's skyrocketed to being the #2 middleweight in the world.

I remember he was asked to fight Mousasi at 205, but said he wouldn't move up from Middleweight. He wanted to stay at the division. He might have had a little more bulk if he'd gone that route.

Be interesting to see what happens to Affliction. It's certainly not looking good for them now. Hopefully they can call up Megadeth to save the show.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #918
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly, in a year or so, I think we might see an instance where Machida moves up to Heavyweight. He is just so good I have a hard time seeing him lose, even with how loaded 205 is. If Machida dispatches Shogun, which he will, then beats whoever is even next leading to Rampage (if he beats Rashad) and he handles Rampage, I can see Machida taking time off, gaining weight, and taking on Brock.

If Machida got up to 230 - 235, I think he could become the dominant HW in MMA.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #919
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Put me in the "Fedor is extremely overrated until he proves something recent" camp. As far as I see it, there is a generation of fighters that has debuted in the last five years (along with a few others that have developed) that have boldly surpassed the old generation of fighters.

As far as Fedor goes, going back the last five years since these guys have debuted, I have him holding victories over two credible opponents in Nogueira and Cro Cop.

First off, some might argue the Arlovski and Sylvia fights as further testament of his "strong" recent performances. Let's debunk the two glass chins.

Tim Sylvia, he of the 1-4 record in his last five fights, including a 0:09 loss to a 48 year old boxer, has zero credibility in my book. Only win in that span is against Vera when he held him against the cage the whole fight. Throw out the Arlovski fights and Sylvia has ZERO wins against decent competition in the last five years and his only single decent CAREER victory is over Ricco.

Let's not forget that Sylvia was probably an inch away from being knocked out by 43 year old Randy Couture IN 10 SECONDS! I don't think Randy's ever finished a bout by KO.

Credible wins in the last five years as far as Arlovski goes? I guess Werdum counts. Big Country and Ben Rothwell? What have they proved against anyone. And when you've got two losses to go against your win over Sylvia, that one doesn't count either. Fedor KO in just over three minutes? Impressive? What does that say about Brett Rogers then?

Now, let's take a look at how Fedor's two quality opponents, Nogueira and Cro Cop have done recently.

While he has the win over Sylvia (which we've already established doesn't really count) and the split with Barnett, Nogueira also has a win over Werdum but a loss to Mir. Decent, but hardly impressive.

Cro Cop has the win over Barnett (and on the subject of Barnett, he's another vastly overrated fighter who's proved nothing against the new generation). He also however has losses to Gabe Gonzaga and Cheik Kongo with no quality wins. Ask Gonzaga and Kongo what they think of Carwin and Velasquez respectively?

So I'm saying, not only does Fedor not have very few quality wins, his opponents that he's defeated have even fewer quality wins.

I'm not going to argue that Fedor was once the top heavyweight and pound for pound fighter in the world. However, he has not done a single thing to validate that since beating Cro Cop in 2005.

You know who else was considered the top pound for pound guys 4-5 years ago? Matt Hughes and Wanderlei Silva. If Matt Hughes had faced has beens and never-weres the past few years instead of facing the new generation such as GSP and Alves, would it be fair to still rank Hughes at the top of the welterweight division and the pound for pound rankings?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #920
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also, Dream 10 today was outstanding. Some BRUTAL KO's today and a huge upset. For sure check it out if you can.

Finally got to watch Dream.10. Zaromskis is awesome. From entering the ring to 'The Final Countdown' dressed as a Street Fighter character to doing backflips on grounded opponents. Paul Filho got his shit together and submitted the one dimensional but dangerous Melvin Manhoef. Pretty meh card all around though.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #921
Calis
College Starter

And now word is Fedor will be fighting....no one.

Multiple reports are saying the show is cancelled. This looks legit.

Goodbye Affliction.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #922
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Thank you, Babyfaced Assassin.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #923
Travis
Pro Rookie

So, out of curiosity, assuming this doesn't kill Affliction, how would this affect Fedor's contract? Does he still have to actually fight to fulfill it or will this count as finishing off the contract (I'm assuming he'll be compensated given that it wasn't his fault Barnett had to be removed)?

Obviously if Affliction folds then not a big deal, but if not and he still has to have an actual fight with them before his contract concludes, there's another how many months of waiting and wondering?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #924
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

AS per Yahoo, Affliction has now folded there fight division and is keeping the clothing line as a sponsor to UFC. so Fedor + others are basically free agents now.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #925
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola

hxxp://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AsSi0kTiZ5SFW5Cc1LM6iJc9Eo14?slug=ki-afflictiondone072409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #926
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yikes...well that didn't take long
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #927
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet from dana white 4 hours ago
I am going on espn 1100 in vegas at 6pm. I will be talking anything mma. Call in number is 702 364 1100! Oh yea and welcome back tito

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #928
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So a few things.

Someone on ESPNRadio told Dana how fans don't like the 103 Main Event and Dana agreed and said big things are coming.

Affliction is gonna sponsor UFC apparently.

At Strikeforce it'll be Diaz vs Hieron or Daley, and potentially Werdum vs Yzel or Rothwell.

And Dana's twitter also says Welcome Back TIto.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #929
BYU 14
Coordinator

Watched Dream 10 finally on HDnet last night and it was a very solid card. Marius Zaromskis has some sick kicks and reminds me a bit of Sakuraba with his unorthodox attacks, wouldn't mind seeing him move up a class and fight Jason Miller, that could turn into a crazy brawl.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #930
PilotMan
Head Coach

I post a question for you. Does this look like the baddest man on the planet?

Like Steam?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #931
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

No, but this guy does:

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-25-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #932
Calis
College Starter

As for the UFC 103 main event being beefed up, there's been a couple places reporting that the Henderson/Franklin fight might get canned. So this makes me wonder if one of those guys will be involved in the Main Event replacement.

Vitor vs. Henderson II possibly? That seems like a pretty solid matchup. I don't know how much of a PPV seller that would be, so I wonder if that's it. As for shaping up the division I think it's a much more interesting fight. I'd definitely be much more interested in that one.

If they could snap up Mousasi as well, having hiim fight Franklin at 205 is another fight that's actually interesting for the division.

The Affliction guys if they're available now and the fact that they've been training starts adding a fair amount of options.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #933
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
No, but this guy does:

To be honest though, I was surprised how much trouble Choi gave him in that fight. If Lesnar gets on Fedor like Choi did, he can cause some serious damage.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #934
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Strikeforce picks up Babalu vs. Mousasi. Yesh!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #935
Flasch186
Coordinator

gonna be a damn good show IMO

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #936
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
gonna be a damn good show IMO
Was going to be. Now with Alistair out, Joe Riggs out and reports that the Thompson/Melendez fight might be off, the card is just ok.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #937
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times

Quote:
A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.
The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #938
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm very curious to see how this turns out. Seemed like there was a lot of buzz that all the Pride guys would come in and just mop the floor with the existing UFC roster and while a few did well, it certainly wasn't to the extent that a lot of people were speculating.

Now I've heard/read reports that could have been due in large part to performance enhancers they were getting away with in Pride that they couldn't in the UFC, but as we've discussed, it'll be interesting to see how the opponents Fedor has been facing in the last two years prepares him for stepping in against a surging HW division in the UFC. Had he come over and taken out Sylvia (instead of Couture doing the deed) I think the timing would have been much more in his favor.

Now though, well, going to be a hell of a first match assuming they do put him in against Brock. I'll definitely be watching.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #939
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
As much as I'd like to see it, I'm going to take the same approach with the Fedor talk as with the Brett Favre saga. When Fedor gets into the cage with someone under the UFC banner, then I'll believe it.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #940
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

As I mentioned before, my dear friend Suicane put the first 100 UFC shows on an external drive for me. Just started watching them this past weekend and have made it through UFC 4. Some thoughts:

-omg
-wtf
-lol

It's pretty amazing how far the UFC has evolved. Everything was just terrible. The announcers were terrible, the fighters were terrible, and the rules (or lack thereof) were terrible. It's hard to watch at times. I don't know how they even got this thing off of the ground. Ball punching, kicks to grounded opponents, punches to the back of the head - the list of things goes on and on. On the positive, I can only see this making me appreciate the current state of MMA that much more. You watch these one-dimensional joe schmoes and you can't help but be amazed by guys like GSP and Anderson Silva.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #941
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Suicane wrote this UFC 1 review for some other website. It was enjoyable to read after I watched UFC 1. Might be fun to read if you have some extra time. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing... (spoiler tags to save thread space)

Spoiler

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-28-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #942
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, the first UFC is epic to watch. Wallace belching on air and getting the name of the organization wrong to start the show really told where it was at that point.

I recently started going back through the UFC's from the beginning again as well. I'd been reading Inside MMA by Jonathan Snowden to go along with it, and I highly recommend this book if you want a pretty great overview of MMA from Pancrase up to nearly present day. He also has some great behind the scenes stories, and the chapter on Ken Shamrock's idiocy and the Lion's Den in general is worth the price of the book.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #943
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A source close to Fedor Emelianenko's camp has confirmed exclusively to FiveKnuckles.com, rumors that UFC President Dana White will announce the signing of Emelianenko at a press conference scheduled for this Friday.

The information was first broken by the LA Times.

Our source tells us that a fight between Emelianenko and Brock Lesnar is in preliminary discussions for UFC 103, which is set for Dallas, TX on Sept. 19 and would be for Lesnar's UFC heavyweight title.

Emelianenko (30-1) is currently considered by most MMA insiders to be the world's greatest heavyweight fighter. The former PRIDE heavyweight champion is virtually unbeaten, his only loss coming via controversial TKO against Tsuyoshi Kohsaka in a fight that was later avenged in brutal fashion. He's defeated a who's who of MMA stars and champions including former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (2x), Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman. Emelianenko was originally scheduled to face his third former UFC heavyweight champion in a row at Affliction: "Trilogy", before opponent Josh Barnett tested positive for steroids which essentially canceled the fight, the show, and Affliction's promotion aspirations.

We'll have more word on the possible UFC 103 matchup as the situation progresses. Please keep in mind that the situation is fluid and fight contracts have yet to be signed.

In the mean time, click here to head over to our comprehensive events section for a peak at the entire UFC 103 fight card as it currently stands.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #944
dervack
College Prospect

A better venue would be somewhere in Vegas. If you're putting this thing together with Fedor vs Lesnar, why not the Super Bowl show, in Vegas at the Thomas and Mack center. Almost 20,000 can pack that place.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #945
TLK
Pro Starter

I'd like to see Fedor get a fight in the octagon before Brock. A fight against a can could headline 103 and I'd be fine with it. That would setup Brock/Fedor for the year-end show with 6 months of hype.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #946
Calis
College Starter

That's quick if true. I really thought they'd set it up for end of the year.

Do hate to see Fedor get so little time for adjusting to a cage. Almost no one has looked good in their first fight in the UFC after moving over as it is.

I'm still of the mind I'll believe in it when I see it. Curious what kind of concessions the UFC made to make it happen if it did.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #947
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

M-1, the folks behind Fedor are saying that there is no truth behind it.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/07/28/f...page_fanhouse2

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-29-2009 at 07:06 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #948
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I'd like to see Fedor get a fight in the octagon before Brock. A fight against a can could headline 103 and I'd be fine with it. That would setup Brock/Fedor for the year-end show with 6 months of hype.
I dunno if it's smart to feed Fedor a can if the asking price is a million a fight.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #949
Calis
College Starter

Yeah I think you have to do Fedor/Brock first. You can't risk anything else, and it works out either way for the UFC. I don't think a loss hurts either guy much and a win is huge.

I still doubt it happens though. Fedor's people are adamant in what they want and UFC won't go for that. Fedor can also make at least the same amount and probably more going elsewhere. He's obviously a bigger draw in Japan than here anyway.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we still see Fedor/Barnett in Japan.

Hope I'm wrong though and he does sign for the UFC but we've heard this too many times already.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #950
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post

I agree. You need more hype on Fedor-Brock, and Fedor also needs a "game speed" fight in the cage (AT LEAST ONE) before taking on Brock.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote