Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #3101
molson
General Manager

1.1 Million buys for UFC 168. (And that's just North America.)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #3102
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, either this is a prelude to Rhonda Rousey putting an armbar on this chauvinist, breaking his arm, and everyone laughs (which I'd prefer), or there's a UFC fighter whose about to get berated by Dana White..

UFC’s Matt Brown: Women in MMA Should Fight*Topless | Extra Mustard - SI.com

Wow, just ridiculous and stupid. Hopefully White takes him to task for it.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #3103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If he's not out on his ass after that UFC is gonna have an issue.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #3104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Brown's not going anywhere. He's the #10 welterweight per Sherdog and has been winning his fights in dominating fashion of late (admittedly usually against some questionable opponents). With GSP out, this weight class is up for grabs and he is one of the more exciting fighters to watch in it. Dana's not going to kick him to the curb right now.

I'm guessing he will fine him heavily and call him out publically for making stupid comments.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-09-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #3105
thesloppy
Pro Starter

DYNAMIC
FASTENER
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #3106
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
DYNAMIC
FASTENER

So what is a Dynamic Fastener, and why is it suddenly all over UFC broadcasts?

Cool story.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #3107
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Just realized recently that UFC Fight Pass is free until the end of February. I downloaded it and took it for a spin. As of right now I plan on canceling my subscription, but that could change. I've watched a few random PRIDE fights, as well UFC 1-4 so far.

Pros:

1. Streaming quality for me has been exceptional. I'm getting 720p HD with no stuttering/buffering.

2. I guess they plan on airing alot of exclusive content and live events monthly. I haven't caught any of that yet, but I would be interested in streaming live content that I can't get any other way. I'm on Comcast and don't have Fox Sports 2, for example. There are also UFC events that apparently don't even air in the US that will be on this service.

3. It is currently free. I just watched a Dana White interview that said the UFC will continue to add all the content until it becomes a paid service. He implied that it would all be there by the end of February, that they are working 24/7 on adding content to get it there by the time it goes paid. I just wish I could trust that man.

Cons:

1. Extremely limited content. This was supposed to include everything. So far for events you have UFC 1-18, UFC Events from 2013, The Ultimate Fighter Series, and random fights. I want to watch the UFC events. Give me more than 1-18, I want every numbered event ever. Give me the rest too, but I'm most worried about the numbered events. Dana White said they ALL would be on there. You said PRIDE would be on there too, yet all you have are the stupid best of PRIDE Spike TV Specials that you used to air. You said all Zuffa owned content would be on this service. You haven't delivered it. It would be like the NFL offering a streaming service that included "every NFL game ever." Then they deliver 1967-1970 and 2013 with a few random games from other seasons thrown in.

2. But it has tons of fights from that shows it doesn't have included. Right? Well, technically that would be correct, but it is a complete mess to search. At best I would say the search function knows what I am really searching for occasionally. Definitely not more often than not. Don't ever search by "UFC 1" or "UFC 22." The search function will include fights from every UFC show has included the number 1 in it's title for the former, and the number 2 for the latter.

3. The preset fight bunches are stupid. Without using the stupid/broken search function, I get access to categories such as Forrest Griffin's all time favorite fights. Really?

4. No easily accessible app. I can stream this from my PC to my TV, but I don't want to. I want an app, with a GOOD search function, on either my PS4 or my XBox 360. I'd really like it on my PS4, but I will take either.

All in all it has potential, but the broken search function, lack of accessible app, and massive amounts of missing content keep it from being what it could be.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #3108
PilotMan
Head Coach

holyfuckingshit

if you missed tonights ppv opener I am sooooooo sorry

damn what a fucking fight

fight of the night is decided I guess

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-01-2014 at 09:27 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #3109
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mir has no business in the cage.

I'm pretty sure I've said that before.

To Overeem's credit, this was the very best that he as looked. Paced, defensive, smart, damaging. It was the kind of fight he had to show to be even considered to face Cain. I'd say he needs 2 more fights at this level to set it up. He didn't even look tired by the end.

Like Steam?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #3110
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

A prior social commitment kept me from watching. From those who did how bad did Faber look?

Is he done at this point?

Really liked hating him early on in WEC....now he isnt even good enough to dislike..

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #3111
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't even think it's debatable, that WAS an early stoppage. Still don't wanna see them fight again. Faber just isn't winning against the elite.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #3112
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, it was a rare Herb fuck up. Faber had been knocked down 3 times by this point but every single one of those hammerfists was on the glove. Faber's thumb is up that he was ok. He had looked like an absolute animal in all the 2013 fights, and this was really disappointing. The UFC guys all had glum looks on their faces too.

What's surprising is that Herb is ususally one of the last guys to do this. He let Carwin batter the shit out of Lesnar. Lesnar kept moving but Faber was all tied up with Barao and couldn't. I think he could have recovered pretty well given everything.

Then this comes out this morning:

Urijah Faber Says He Fought at UFC 169 with Torn Hamstring, Bruised Patella Tendon | MMAWeekly.com

sooooo....

Like Steam?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #3113
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thiago Silva is rumored to be the guy in the standoff with police. Suspect was later taken into custody.

Armed Suspect Threatened People at Jiu Jitsu School: BSO | NBC 6 South Florida

Like Steam?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #3114
molson
General Manager

One thing I've learned watching MMA is that you should never try to communicate with the referee unless you're trying to submit. I remember Herb Dean was reffing a fight once and a guy in some type of submission hold was yelling to Dean, "I'm fine, I'm fine!", and Dean called the fight. Afterwards, Dean actually explained to him, when you're yelling something, it sounds like a verbal submission and I have to err on the side of that. I'm not sure what that is - maybe refs are trained to interpret you begging to keep a fight going as a sign that you're in trouble, or if its so loud that the communications aren't clear, but, I've seen that happen more than once.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #3115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I felt Urijah didn't do enough to actually move or get out of the position he was in, and that Herb Dean was in the right to call it. I counted Barao's strikes to Faber's head/fist and it was 2-3 at the start where Faber was trying to get his fist over his ear, and then 10-11 just holding his hand there (when he did the thumbs up).

I'm sorry, you have to do more, try to shake him off, show some kind of movement besides a thumbs up. IMO, while I coukld have seen Dean letting things go further for a bit, I can't really blame him for stopping it there either.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #3116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thiago Silva released by UFC after arrest on battery charge - ESPN
Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #3117
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Big news today - Cyborg announces that she's hiring a doctor to help her cut to 135 so she can challenge Rousey in December.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/2/21/54...ina-carano-mma

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-21-2014 at 11:27 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #3118
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wonder how much money UFC put on the table to get her to move. The biggest problem the UFC has with Rousey is that they have literally nobody they can throw at her. No built up fighters, no even second tier starts.

Take tonight's fight. Sara McMann is really a good 2 years of MMA training away from being at this spot. However, how can you dismiss Olympian v. Olympian at the end of the Winter Olympics?

Rousey is going to walk through this fight. Cyborg is really the only person out there that they can make money with and help keep Rousey from getting stale.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-22-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #3119
PilotMan
Head Coach

Really like Dan Cormier at 205. He was in there with a nobody tonight and barely broke a sweat. This card sucks.

Like Steam?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #3120
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Rousey McMahan Needs To Save This Card.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #3121
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Rousey McMahan Needs To Save This Card.

Like Steam?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #3122
BYU 14
Coordinator

As much as I don't like her demeanor, Rousey has improved her standup immensely and is definitely a complete fighter now.

I imagine Zingano, if healthy is next. Then Cyborg if the news about her cutting to 135 is accurate. If she gets through those two fights, nothing much left for her to prove in MMA.

Edit: And PM hit it right on the head. McMann is tough, but was not ready for this.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #3123
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Probably the worst card overall Ive bought in 3 years...at least.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #3124
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'd really like to see Holly Holm versus Rousey, but it doesn't look like that signing's happening anytime soon.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #3125
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
As much as I don't like her demeanor, Rousey has improved her standup immensely and is definitely a complete fighter now.

I imagine Zingano, if healthy is next. Then Cyborg if the news about her cutting to 135 is accurate. If she gets through those two fights, nothing much left for her to prove in MMA.

Edit: And PM hit it right on the head. McMann is tough, but was not ready for this.

Not only that, her Jiu-Jitsu has gotten absolutely dangerous. Her grappling was always good, but she has really taken to that particular aspect of it. You are right, she is exceptionally well rounded at this point. A fantastic athlete and will dominate this division for many years to come. She is like Anderson Silva of her own time.

I wonder how long she will keep fighting though. You have to think that without her, the UFC women's division just kind of suffers. But from her perspective, with her pretty face and attitude, and that she is already set for Expendables 3, a movie career would be far more lucrative.

Like Steam?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #3126
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Not only that, her Jiu-Jitsu has gotten absolutely dangerous. Her grappling was always good, but she has really taken to that particular aspect of it. You are right, she is exceptionally well rounded at this point. A fantastic athlete and will dominate this division for many years to come. She is like Anderson Silva of her own time.

I wonder how long she will keep fighting though. You have to think that without her, the UFC women's division just kind of suffers. But from her perspective, with her pretty face and attitude, and that she is already set for Expendables 3, a movie career would be far more lucrative.

I'm a huge Rousey fan...and she is not an unattractive lady (Rocking body fo sho)..but "pretty face"..wow.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #3127
PilotMan
Head Coach

You'd call her a butter face?

Personally I don't find her all that attractive. Her demeanor is more than enough to put me off, however I think she would generally be considered above average on the attractiveness level. Especially when you add the layers of editing and makeup that she gets for magazine covers.

Like Steam?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #3128
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty face when makeup is involved.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #3129
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Compare:

Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #3130
PilotMan
Head Coach

Its about fuckin time!

NSAC bans testosterone-replacement therapy in combat sports - ESPN

Quote:
LAS VEGAS -- In a monumental move, the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT) from combat sports -- including boxing and mixed martial arts -- on Thursday.
The ruling, which passed by a unanimous vote, eliminates future applications for a therapeutic use exemption for TRT. It also denies the use of TRT to any fighter who had previously received permission for its use from the state.

Like Steam?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #3131
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sweet! As a result of the above:

Machida to fight Weidman in main event at UFC 173 | UFC &reg - News

Quote:
Las Vegas, Nev. – The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced tonight that former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida will face off against UFC middleweight championChris Weidman in the main event of UFC 173 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 24.

Money's on Machida in this one. If Weidman can get past him he will have earned more from me. And if I know Weidman, I know that's the most important thing on his mind right now.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #3132
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I've heard of a spinning backfist before, but never a spinning back elbow before.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #3133
molson
General Manager

Behold, the technical magistry of mixed martial arts!

Last edited by molson : 03-08-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #3134
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Neighbors kid turns 5 today, big inflatable castle for the birthday party.

Pretty sure I seen this fight already this afternoon.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #3135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What do you get when you make MMA a team sport and cross it with American Gladiators? You get "Hip Show", which a best-of show will air on AXS TV Friday Night.

American Gladiators Meets MMA in 'Hip Show: Arena Combat' on AXS TV | Bleacher Report

It's two on two MMA, with points scored by strikes, takedowns, ground and pound, holding one of the arena's features for 10 or more seconds (king of the mountain style) and knocking out or submitting your opponent)

And yes, if you submit or KO one of your opponents it becomes two on one. which quickly becomes your typical barfight.

(deadpan snarker mode on) You know, I'm really glad they're wearing gloves and helmets. For safety, you know. (deadpan snarker mode off)

Apparently they also have three on three fights.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #3136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Woah, Hendricks hasn't made weight. He needs to drop another 1.5 pounds or we won't have a title fight tomorrow. Or maybe Dana does something crazy and makes Condit-Woodley for the belt.

Okay, that won't happen.

Well, except Dana can be crazy sometimes.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #3137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Disaster avoided. He made weight.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #3138
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally got to watch last night's Bellator. Pat Curran and Daniel Strauss put on a FOY candidate fight. That was a fun fight. These guys were so evenly matched and just went full bore.

Strauss had the fight won 3-1 and was ahead in the 5th when Curran scored a takedown and fought incredibly to finish a rear naked with about 14 seconds left in the fight.

Bellator may not have the best fighters in the world, but they have some of the best fights.

Like Steam?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #3139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fuck. Condit blows his knee out. That was a good fight too.

Like Steam?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #3140
PilotMan
Head Coach

A big bunch of meh in that fight. Lawler is going to kick himself when he looks at how close he was to finishing Hendricks in round 3.

Like Steam?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #3141
BYU 14
Coordinator

Tough break for Condit, that was shaping up nicely. I actually liked the main and agree, Lawler was one clean shot away from strapping on the belt. Either a rematch with Lawlor or a fight with Woodley would be entertaining for Hendricks' first defense.

Sick choke by St Preaux on the undercard.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #3142
PilotMan
Head Coach

No I was wrong, it was a good fight. I think I was being overly critical because of Condit. Both guys really gave it all they had. Hendricks digging down deep in the 5th was good in a close fight that was anyone's to win.

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #3143
molson
General Manager

Spoiler from today's Abu Dhabi show.

Spoiler
Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #3144
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Millville gets some representation in the house! Williams trains with one of my friend's sons.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #3145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Went to my first UFC event last night. Never been a fan but I really enjoyed it. Matt brown fought some Brazilian dude and beat his ass. It was impressive.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #3146
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That would've been a good first card to go to. Lots of good fights and a super hot crowd.

Before last night I would've said that Silva was easily one of my top young dudes on the rise, whereas Matt Brown's been playing above his head for way too long. Shows what I know.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #3147
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So who is in for the card tonight?

Will Weidmann continue his impressive run? Can Rousey stay undefeated....

Rousey is clearly more talented but I fear she may be distracted ....

Really interested to watch Wiedman

Plus no kids for the weekend and the wife and I are chilling in a bar to watch instead of at home.... fun night either way

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-05-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #3148
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thinking of getting it tonight, good card. Watching the undercard now.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #3149
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bitter sweet to watch Faber fight. He is way to experienced for the chump they fed hon tonight...but for those that followed him up through WEC he is clearly a shell of what he was.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #3150
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Bitter sweet to watch Faber fight. He is way to experienced for the chump they fed hon tonight...but for those that followed him up through WEC he is clearly a shell of what he was.

Not what he used to be. Still good but I wouldn't say great. Sad when he tried to convince everyone that he wasn't thrown a bone for this fight.