Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #701
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Nit picking a little on the cabin situation since I realize it was meant to set-up Walt's demise due to unabomber-like cabin conditions but I would think a guy that hides fugitives for a living could locate an illegal satalite dish and a big screen TV for someone with millions of dollars of cash. They tried to explain it on why Walt couldn't have a legal hookup but it was a bit of stretch that he had to wait for a month at a time to get updates on his case and family. Doesn't really ruin the show at all for me and certainly shows like Walking Dead, Homeland etc take far bigger leaps out of reality just seemed like Breaking Bad always nails it with covering every angle and this one seemed a bit weak.

Last edited by panerd : 09-25-2013 at 09:06 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #702
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its also a bit of stretch that after months he randomly goes into a bar that randomly has a tv on that randomly changes the channels that randomly lands on an interview discussing walter white. but what are you gonna do?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #703
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, that's one of those "movie magic" moments that the show has actually done pretty well to avoid up until now.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #704
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Nit picking a little on the cabin situation since I realize it was meant to set-up Walt's demise due to unabomber-like cabin conditions but I would think a guy that hides fugitives for a living could locate an illegal satalite dish and a big screen TV for someone with millions of dollars of cash. They tried to explain it on why Walt couldn't have a legal hookup but it was a bit of stretch that he had to wait for a month at a time to get updates on his case and family. Doesn't really ruin the show at all for me and certainly shows like Walking Dead, Homeland etc take far bigger leaps out of reality just seemed like Breaking Bad always nails it with covering every angle and this one seemed a bit weak.

I thought the guy explained that getting satellite TV wouldn't work because the trees blocked reception. I've heard of places like that before.

Also, I don't think he'd want to risk some satellite guy going out to the cabin to hook up a satellite while Walt was there because of the risk that Walt could be ID'd.

Finally, I don't think he wanted Walt to be following the investigation or any news on him in "real time" to avoid potential situations like the one he ran across at the bar.

I had no problem with this at all. It didn't feel all that forced or that big of a leap.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #705
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Stating there's been no "movie magic" in Breaking Bad thus far is pretty willful misremembering.

Gus Fring, character. Gus Fring's death. Walt poisoning Brock, somehow. The Shootout in the desert. The Train Heist. Hell, Walt being on Hank's ride along that starts the whole thing.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #706
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
its also a bit of stretch that after months he randomly goes into a bar that randomly has a tv on that randomly changes the channels that randomly lands on an interview discussing walter white. but what are you gonna do?

I think you've got two too many "randomlies" there. First, he didn't randomly go into a bar. He purposefully went into a bar to make the phone call to Flynn. He went to a bar because his plan was to have a woman impersonate Marie. I guess he could have gone to some other establishment, but what other establishments would have a payphone? (Perhaps the very existence of a payphone is a bigger leap than any of this, though I've never been to BFE New Hampshire before).

Second, it's pretty rare to find a bar without a TV. Odds are if there is a TV at a bar it's on. They were watching hockey.

That the Grey Matter people happened to be being interviewed at that time and the guy flipped off the hockey - one must presume the game was over or a blowout because, well, hockey! - and flipped past that interview was pretty random, but no more random than, say, Walt stopping at a random bar and sharing a drink with Jane's father, or Hank sitting down to take a crap at Walt's place and just happening to decide to open up a book of Walt Whitman poetry, or various other "random" events that have taken place multiple times during this show. Weird things happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #707
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Stating there's been no "movie magic" in Breaking Bad thus far is pretty willful misremembering.

Gus Fring, character. Gus Fring's death. Walt poisoning Brock, somehow. The Shootout in the desert. The Train Heist. Hell, Walt being on Hank's ride along that starts the whole thing.

I agree. The show has been chock-full of them, but I've enjoyed it throughout. It's a television show, not real life. These things are going to happen to ramp up the intensity and action. Perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #708
cuervo72
Head Coach

"Chalk" full?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #709
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think you've got two too many "randomlies" there. First, he didn't randomly go into a bar. He purposefully went into a bar to make the phone call to Flynn. He went to a bar because his plan was to have a woman impersonate Marie. I guess he could have gone to some other establishment, but what other establishments would have a payphone? (Perhaps the very existence of a payphone is a bigger leap than any of this, though I've never been to BFE New Hampshire before).

Second, it's pretty rare to find a bar without a TV. Odds are if there is a TV at a bar it's on. They were watching hockey.

That the Grey Matter people happened to be being interviewed at that time and the guy flipped off the hockey - one must presume the game was over or a blowout because, well, hockey! - and flipped past that interview was pretty random, but no more random than, say, Walt stopping at a random bar and sharing a drink with Jane's father, or Hank sitting down to take a crap at Walt's place and just happening to decide to open up a book of Walt Whitman poetry, or various other "random" events that have taken place multiple times during this show. Weird things happen.

lets just start with the fact that he'd been holed up months and went a bar on that day. but sure, yes, bars have tv's.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #710
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

On the hockey game.

Last Night's Breaking Bad Featured a Denver-Wisconsin College Hockey Game from 1998 | Extra Mustard - SI.com

Quote:
Here are the telling details. Wisconsin and Denver only played twice that year at the Dane County Coliseum (which the Badgers would leave next season), once on February 13, 1998 and again on the following day. In the second game, the score was 2-1 in Wisconsin’s favor in the second period, eliminating it as a possibility.

The Feb. 13 game, however, fits: Denver lead 2-1 in the second period and Rycroft had scored a goal, in keeping with the announcer’s earlier comment. Amazingly, the home team came back to score 6 goals in the third period, making it an all-time classic Badgers win:

The amazing comeback, one of eleven that season, was commemorated in the team’s media guide the next year:

Is Vince Gilligan giving us a clue? Is Walter White about to score 6 goals in the 3rd period (so to speak)?

Last edited by mckerney : 09-25-2013 at 01:33 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #711
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"Chalk" full?

Chock-full.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #712
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree. The show has been chock-full of them, but I've enjoyed it throughout. It's a television show, not real life. These things are going to happen to ramp up the intensity and action. Perfectly acceptable.

Meaning moments that take you out of the show and say "that would never happen". They've done a good job at keeping the coincidences within the realm of the believable, at least for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #713
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, that's one of those "movie magic" moments that the show has actually done pretty well to avoid up until now.

I saw some interview where the creator of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium said he was no longer able to suspend his disbelief because 2 DVD copies of the film is "2 more than is allowed in his home."
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #714
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Meaning moments that take you out of the show and say "that would never happen". They've done a good job at keeping the coincidences within the realm of the believable, at least for me.

I have no complaints with this show on this front. Then again, as Draft Dodger pointed out in another thread, when it comes to stuff like this in TV shows I tend to be quite generous in giving the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #715
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It wasn't much more than a month he was at the bar and by the looks of all of the clippings he had collected plus the fact that (according to the Robert Forster) he was the most wanted man in America, subject of a nationwide manhunt, and likely the biggest news story in the country (HS chem teacher becomes meth kingpin leaving a trail of bodies in his wake including his DEA brother-in-law) it is VERY easy to imagine he's the topic of conversation on just about every news and interview program on television. That it's taken them a month to run out of interesting people to talk to before they get to those Gray Matter people makes perfect sense and at the very least is well within the realm of likelyhood.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #716
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

How do you know it was only a month he was at the bar? I think it was longer.

His 51st birthday was a few months before the events in Ozymandias. His 52nd birthday is right when he buys the guns.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 09-26-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #717
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Plus, they just didn't have those Gray Matter people on because of the tenuous connection to Walt - they had recently donated a giant wad of cash to some school and the news story was they did it for PR reasons.

Suffice to say, it was a *perfectly reasonable* expectation that they were on national television
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #718
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
How do you know it was only a month he was at the bar? I think it was longer.

His 51st birthday was a few months before the events in Ozymandias. His 52nd birthday is right when he buys the guns.

Wasn't Walt Jr. a senior in high school? He didn't start driving until well after 16 because of his CP, so if we're talking over a year after Ozymandius he'd have been out of HS

Last edited by Toddzilla : 09-26-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #719
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

We're talking somewhere around 8 or 9 months after Ozymandias. Unless he's faking the 52 at Denny's.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #720
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Assuming Robert Forster comes every month, he's been there at least two months as we know Forster came at a minimum twice.

Reddit Discussion on this issue

So maybe the 52 is wrong? Or maybe the details are being fudged?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 09-26-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #721
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Many people say Gilligan confirmed on a podcast that he was at the cabin between 4 and 6 months but I can't find the source.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #722
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Assuming Robert Forster comes every month, he's been there at least two months as we know Forster came at a minimum twice.

Reddit Discussion on this issue

So maybe the 52 is wrong? Or maybe the details are being fudged?

I think all we know is it's Mr. Lambert's 52nd birthday.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #723
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is it really a big deal as to whether its Walt's 52nd birthday or Mr. Lambert's 52nd birthday?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #724
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Is it really a big deal as to whether its Walt's 52nd birthday or Mr. Lambert's 52nd birthday?

Hey pal, this is the internet. Of course it is!!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #725
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Well if you are interested in the timeline, of course it is. You don't have to read it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #726
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I think all we know is it's Mr. Lambert's 52nd birthday.

Not sure that's true, honestly. If that's true that means that Walt makes the 52 symbolically on a day that really means nothing to him. Just seems a lot more likely that it is in fact his.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #727
hoopsguy
General Manager

Almost fell of the first page ...

Onion's take on the Walter White Experience -
http://www.theonion.com/video/the-on...st=recent-news

Last edited by hoopsguy : 09-29-2013 at 08:15 PM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #728
Bad-example
College Starter

Thumbs up

Touchdown.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #729
tarcone
Coordinator

Great ending. Well done.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whew.

Just damned whew.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #731
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Tied up everything very well, a fantastic ending to a great series.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #732
Logan
Head Coach

It was beautiful.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #733
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I still don't think I've recovered. Spent way too many minutes holding my breath through scene after scene.

And Talking Bad helped a little bit I think. We didn't want them to go away, so it was like a gentler way to say farewell.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #734
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't do it much better.

I'm also blown away by how many little things they put in. Like the watch Jesse gave him being left on top of the phone. Totally forgot Jesse had bought him that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #735
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I still don't think I've recovered. Spent way too many minutes holding my breath through scene after scene.

And Talking Bad helped a little bit I think. We didn't want them to go away, so it was like a gentler way to say farewell.

Yep on both accounts. I thought Hardwick did a good job with Talking Bad this season, it was a nice thing to be able to wind down after each episode (or the next day in my case frequently).

More detailed comments:

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #736
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Todd's ringtone is probably best known (unless I've missed something) to many viewers (still living) as a song that Klinger sang a bit of occasionally on M*A*S*H
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #737
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

All wrapped up, and nicely done at that.

A very rare thing these days.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #738
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yep on both accounts. I thought Hardwick did a good job with Talking Bad this season, it was a nice thing to be able to wind down after each episode (or the next day in my case frequently).

More detailed comments:

Spoiler

Perfect song for the ending too.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #739
Johnny93g
College Starter

Satisfying!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #740
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #741
mckerney
Coordinator

Story Of Small Businessman Struggling Under Obama Administration Draws To Close
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #742
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #743
mckerney
Coordinator

Only disappointment is that I was hoping to hear Big Iron when I saw the Marty Robbins tape.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #744
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was a pretty good point from the Washington Post recap of the finale

Quote:
In a hyper-media era in which so much is derivative of something else, we sometimes lose sight of the value of the completely original epic. “Breaking Bad” may have drawn from the greatest tools of dramatic tragedy, but it was not based on or adapted from anything that came before. This is a common thread among our finest TV shows: They are wholly new, sui generis (to get fancy about it).

“Breaking Bad” was born of Gilligan’s initial and almost reductive desire to tell a story about a good man who turns bad. It was not a remake of something that came before it. It was not a Shakespearean update. It was not an imported vehicle, not previously a hit series from Britain or Sweden or Denmark. It was not optioned from a string of crime novels or a fancy comic book.

“Breaking Bad” was not trying to evoke something that it admired from before. It wasn’t reaching for an era or a particular strain of nostalgia. Thanks to its sick sense of irony and the driest humor possible, it did not neatly fit into any one genre of modern drama. (Gilligan has said before that he considered it a “western.”) And by setting its story in Albuquerque — by filming it there and inhabiting the city’s character so fully — “Breaking Bad” deliberately chose uncharted territory, a “Land of Enchantment” in which the enchantment was entirely ours and not Walter’s. Literally and figuratively, “Breaking Bad’ went to a place hardly anyone ever goes.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #745
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Nicely done. Bravo, Mr. Gilligan, wherever you are.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #746
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show - now bring on the zombies!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #747
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah, that was really great.

I'll definitely miss it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #748
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Incredible. Can't do it much better than that.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #749
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

OK, now I want the REAL sequel to the show - Holly White and Kaylee Ehrmentraut doing a Person of Interest / CSI kind of show.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #750
gi
College Prospect

I'm looking forward to getting the barrel with all the goodies in it. Should be a good thing to have in the house.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote