Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2023, 10:40 AM   #351
bob
College Starter

Post-script on my travel to Iceland.

Departure -
ATL -> JFK on JetBlue, no issue. JFK -> Iceland on Icelandair, no issue.

Return -
As a reminder, originally it was Iceland -> BOS, then BOS -> ATL. BOS -> ATL was cancelled without notification, and it took a while to get rescheduled and then eventually did, but requiring a night stay in Boston.

Well, when they rebooked us for that BOS -> ATL flight, they screwed up the class of ticket and put us in some class that doesn't allow carry-ons. Which we didn't find out until checking in via the app the day of. So I spent about 2 hours on the phone dealing with this. Their solution was to un-check us in, fix the class of ticket, but then we needed to check in in person at the airport. Fine. So we get there and now they have lost our seat assignments (which we of course previously had to pay for). After 30 minutes at the check in line, they finally just say screw it and give us the exit row seats.

So I guess it worked out, but needless to say I wasted a lot of time and don't really want to fly again soon.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:44 AM   #352
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ugh. My son flies out of Atlanta at 6am tomorrow. Atlanta to Toronto, 6 hour layover, then Toronto to Tokyo, all on Air Canada. The, a local carrier Tokyo to Kyoto. He is just now getting nervous.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:03 AM   #353
Edward64
Head Coach

Tell him to not worry about the small stuff and enjoy the experience!

Toronto Parsons is a nice airport even for a 6 hour layover. Tokyo was nice also, lots of stores and food. Airport was a little warm, but that’s because we like our air conditioning
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #354
molson
General Manager

Long layovers on a trip like that are great. One less thing to worry about.

Last edited by molson : 01-08-2023 at 04:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #355
miked
College Starter

Air Canada sucks. That is all.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:37 AM   #356
bronconick
College Starter

The FAA downed all US flights because of a system outage. The Notice to Air Mission" system.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:09 AM   #357
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Glad I'm not flying today.

This is going to be a shitty day or two for every airline, but can you imagine Southwest dealing with this after what they just put themselves through? I bedt their passengers won't be as forgiving as the other airlines', although it seems pretty clear this is out of their control.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #358
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The FAA downed all US flights because of a system outage. The Notice to Air Mission" system.

Thanks Mayor Pete
Old 01-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #359
bhlloy
Coordinator

From what I know about IT for major airlines and the industry including the FAA, which admittedly is mostly hearsay and industry anecdotes, I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 AM   #360
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I’m flying today. Ugh.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #361
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

"Not a cyber attack."

Translation: It was a cyber attack.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #362
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I’m flying today. Ugh.

Unlikely.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #363
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Not gonna jinx anything, but I’m sitting on a plane (not my original, but whatever), and I’m scheduled to land less than a hour after my original time.

I know it’s trendy to bag on Mayor Pete, but considering how it looked this morning, I’m happy there are competent people in charge.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:25 PM   #364
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW I remember being nervous flying on Dec 30, 1999. I contributed to Y2K with my shitty COBOL code (especially handling leap years)

I am surprised (but grateful) there wasn’t any big incidents with airlines when the clock flipped
Old 01-11-2023, 04:42 PM   #365
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
"Not a cyber attack."

Translation: It was a cyber attack.

I can see this
Old 01-11-2023, 04:43 PM   #366
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Between the Biden docks and this right wing media is in quite the feeding frenzy today. The outrage machine is ramped up to 11.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:11 PM   #367
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Remind me not to fly Air India.

The pee'er was bad enough but Air India was absolutely horrible.

Shankar Mishra arrested for 'peeing on Air India passenger'

Make that any Indian airlines

Quote:
A group of passengers at India's Bengaluru airport experienced a particular kind of flight envy as they watched their own plane take off without them.

The 55 passengers were still on a shuttle bus out to the plane, boarding passes in hand, when the Go First flight to New Delhi departed.

In a statement to CNN, Go First acknowledged the incident, which took place on January 9.
Yeah, no shit. There was a breakdown somewhere. I'm thinking its got to be ultimately aircrew right? They count the occupied seats, check it against some sort of roster, and (generally) shouldn't be taking off with checked bags without their owners.

Quote:
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation, India's national aviation regulator, has confirmed it is investigating the incident, which it called a "dereliction of their regulatory obligations," according to CNN affiliate News18.

According to Go First's spokesperson, "all concerned staff" have been taken off of the work rota, and the airline has issued a notice to Bengaluru airport's ground handling agency.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #368
Ksyrup

We Go First, apparently.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-11-2023, 05:28 PM   #369
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
FWIW I remember being nervous flying on Dec 30, 1999. I contributed to Y2K with my shitty COBOL code (especially handling leap years)

I am surprised (but grateful) there wasn’t any big incidents with airlines when the clock flipped

I never understood the Y2K issue. I remember assuring people it would be a big nothing-burger - that all the code that stored year as two digits didn't amount to that much. Every bank had years to work it out, so the most we could expect is possibly an automated bill from somewhere that didn't make sense and could easily be resolved.

I told people it was code when the UNIX-based time structure (long since replaced at this point) wraps around sometime on January 19, 2038 that we had to worry about, and by then, it won't be much of an issue, either.

The non-leap year in 2100, however... that will screw people up.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:34 PM   #370
Ksyrup

Apparently Canada's system also temporarily went down today.

Corrupt file, my ass.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:37 PM   #371
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I never understood the Y2K issue. I remember assuring people it would be a big nothing-burger - that all the code that stored year as two digits didn't amount to that much. Every bank had years to work it out, so the most we could expect is possibly an automated bill from somewhere that didn't make sense and could easily be resolved.

I told people it was code when the UNIX-based time structure (long since replaced at this point) wraps around sometime on January 19, 2038 that we had to worry about, and by then, it won't be much of an issue, either.

The non-leap year in 2100, however... that will screw people up.

My concern regarding non-airline systems were a bunch of old COBOL programmers brought back into the fold (COBOL was far along on being ancient) to fix 2 digit years etc. At that time, I heard concerns about financial reports being mis-reported, payroll being wrong (big, big thing) and like.

Regarding airline systems, I assume most reservations were from the old SABRE code which I think was in the Assembly language. But the big one was the Air Traffic Control which I assume is also written in a low level language (e.g. not COBOL). I have to believe "time/duration calculations" are integral to those systems, and hence the concern for Y2K.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:39 PM   #372
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Thanks Mayor Pete

Thanks Obama

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:41 PM   #373
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Apparently Canada's system also temporarily went down today.

Corrupt file, my ass.

I blame them for this. They've declared war on us ever since they took down the US electrical grid

We should take them over, make them our 51st state, and viola ... our energy issues will be resolved (e.g. lots of shale oil up there).

Actually, too cold up there. I vote Venezuela which does have heavy crude and temps are better.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-11-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:42 PM   #374
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Not gonna jinx anything, but I’m sitting on a plane (not my original, but whatever), and I’m scheduled to land less than a hour after my original time.

I know it’s trendy to bag on Mayor Pete, but considering how it looked this morning, I’m happy there are competent people in charge.

I love how this is entirely up to Pete, but trump had nothing to do with anything that has ever gone wrong, because it's always been someone else's fault and he had no clue about it. Even Jan 6, or the phone call, but again, this is totally the fault of the head of the DOT, because he's the boss and ultimately it's his responsibility?

Like Steam?

Old 01-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #375
Ksyrup

Quote:
I blame them for this. They've declared war on us ever since they took down the US electrical grid

We should take them over, make them our 51st state, and viola ... our energy issues will be resolved (e.g. lots of shale oil up there).

Actually, too cold up there. I vote Venezuela which does have heavy crude and temps are better.

You just made me remember the movie Canadian Bacon.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-11-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #376
Edward64
Head Coach

I didn't now about this film. Googled it and will have to find it somewhere
Old 01-11-2023, 06:10 PM   #377
Ksyrup

If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the final movies John Candy appeared in before his death.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:05 PM   #378
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
An engineer “replaced one file with another,” the official said, not realizing the mistake was being made. As the systems began showing problems and ultimately failed, FAA staff feverishly tried to figure out what had gone wrong. The engineer who made the error did not realize what had happened.

“It was an honest mistake that cost the country millions,” the official said.

It was Antifa all along.

Like Steam?

Old 01-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #379
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I didn't now about this film. Googled it and will have to find it somewhere

"Surrender pronto, or we'll level Toronto"

Worth a watch. Directed by Michael Moore in his comedy phase. And ya, John Candy's last movie, released after his death (he died while filming Wagon's East, but, this one came out later)

Last edited by molson : 01-11-2023 at 09:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #380
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Such an underrated movie. That and strange Brew...
Old 01-12-2023, 08:09 AM   #381
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

Man does their beer suck.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:15 AM   #382
Kodos
Resident Alien

Strange Brew was funny as a kid, but I imagine it would be unbearable to watch now. Kinda like Spaceballs.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #383
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Strange Brew was funny as a kid, but I imagine it would be unbearable to watch now. Kinda like Spaceballs.

I suspect you're correct.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #384
PilotMan
Head Coach

Spaceballs still gets regular play in my house.

Like Steam?

Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #385
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I still do the "All I got's two 5's!" and hold up my fists whenever my kids ask for money. It never gets old - to me.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:48 AM   #386
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Post-script on my travel to Iceland.

Departure -
ATL -> JFK on JetBlue, no issue. JFK -> Iceland on Icelandair, no issue.

Return -
As a reminder, originally it was Iceland -> BOS, then BOS -> ATL. BOS -> ATL was cancelled without notification, and it took a while to get rescheduled and then eventually did, but requiring a night stay in Boston.

Well, when they rebooked us for that BOS -> ATL flight, they screwed up the class of ticket and put us in some class that doesn't allow carry-ons. Which we didn't find out until checking in via the app the day of. So I spent about 2 hours on the phone dealing with this. Their solution was to un-check us in, fix the class of ticket, but then we needed to check in in person at the airport. Fine. So we get there and now they have lost our seat assignments (which we of course previously had to pay for). After 30 minutes at the check in line, they finally just say screw it and give us the exit row seats.

So I guess it worked out, but needless to say I wasted a lot of time and don't really want to fly again soon.

Forgot to mention that when this mess all went down and I was forced to take an overnight stay in Boston, I was told to hang onto my receipts as the hotel and food should be reimbursed. I've now submitted my reimbursement request. I'm guessing less than 5% chance they actually pay.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #387
Edward64
Head Coach

I know that flying is safer than driving but stories like this always gives me the heebie jeebies (since I used to fly a lot).

Quote:
The loss of a plane carrying 72 people in Nepal has highlighted the dangers of air travel in a country often referred to as one of the world’s riskiest places to fly.

Sunday’s crash left at least 68 people dead, making it the worst airplane accident in the Himalayan nation in 30 years. It was also the third-worst aviation accident in the country’s history, according to data from the Aviation Safety Network.

Kathmandu was in a lower tier of places I'd like to visit (and maybe become Dr. Strange in a multiverse). Still want to visit it but may go by train instead

Quote:
The capital of Kathmandu is Nepal’s primary transit hub, from where many of these small flights leave.

The airport in the town of Lukla, in northeastern Nepal, is often referred to as the world’s most dangerous airport. Known as the gateway to Everest, the airport’s runway is laid out on a cliffside between mountains, dropping straight into an abyss at the end.

A lack of investment in aging aircraft only adds to the flying risks.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:48 PM   #388
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I suspect its because we believe we have more control over whether or not we get in a car accident, which statistically may or may not be true.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #389
Ksyrup

Quote:
I know that flying is safer than driving but stories like this always gives me the heebie jeebies (since I used to fly a lot).

Kathmandu was in a lower tier of places I'd like to visit (and maybe become Dr. Strange in a multiverse). Still want to visit it but may go by train instead

There was a short-lived reality show about first responders who were based out of that area. The footage of planes and helicopters flying in and out of that airport was crazy.

Here's a clip:

Old 01-23-2023, 03:59 PM   #390
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Forgot to mention that when this mess all went down and I was forced to take an overnight stay in Boston, I was told to hang onto my receipts as the hotel and food should be reimbursed. I've now submitted my reimbursement request. I'm guessing less than 5% chance they actually pay.

Unsurprising, JetBlue told me to screw myself despite their changes.

Unrelated for those that take international flights a bunch. What's the minimum time I should be ok with for a layover (US -> Country A, layover, Country A - > B)?
Old 01-23-2023, 04:26 PM   #391
PilotMan
Head Coach

3 hours absolute minimum imo

Like Steam?

Old 01-23-2023, 04:39 PM   #392
Edward64
Head Coach

On my current trip it was ATL —> Toronto —> Vancouver —> Bangkok. Toronto was a little over 2 hours, Vancouver was over 4 hours. I had to go thru customs in Toronto which was relatively painless (they have kiosks before you see the customs folks) and I was at the back of the plane.

I’d say 2 hours absolute min but agree 3 hours is good insurance (eg in case flight is delayed some, bad weather etc). But I’ve found that international flights seem to be less delayed, given higher priority than domestic ones.

I’d also suggest go with same airline or alliance for the entire trip. So if one leg is significantly delayed you have support for the remaining (eg rebooking, hotel).

Where you headed next?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-23-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:51 PM   #393
bob
College Starter

Sweden in a few weeks. Right now via Amsterdam with only 2 hours on way there and 1.5 hours on way back (less concerned about this one).
Old 01-24-2023, 10:30 PM   #394
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yeah, that's likely what happened. I don't know if the plane had just taxied in and parked, but that's the most likely place for it to happen. Generally, once the parking brake is set, the engines are cut off, as long as the plane has a working APU (Aux Power Unit). If it doesn't then the plane leaves an engine running until the ground power can be plugged in. If both the ground power and the APU are broken then you can leave an engine running, but it means multiple extra safety layers are put in place as a result.

Visually, the airplane leaves the beacon (the red flasher at the top and bottom) on to signal either an engine is running or about to be run and it's a signal to the ramp to not approach the plane. But things happen, and signals get missed, and people have expectations bias for what they expect to happen and then accidents happen.

The main tires are also chocked to prevent the plane from moving on the ground as well, so if someone approached the plane and assumed something that didn't happen they could have, but even then, you approach from behind the wing.

The engines, at idle, have a 6 ft danger zone in front where people can be sucked in just walking past. So it's no shit scary if they are running. I can't imagine how bad this was. It was complete and total chaos and fear I'm sure.

Airport Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine Was Repeatedly Warned to Stand Back

Quote:
the Embraer’s auxiliary power unit (APU) was inoperative during the flight.

Quote:
“The ground crew reported that a safety briefing was held about 10 minutes before the airplane arrived at the gate. A second safety “huddle” was held shortly before the airplane arrived at the gate, to reiterate that the engines would remain running until ground power was connected. It was also discussed that the airplane should not be approached, and the diamond of safety cones should not be set until the engines were off, spooled down, and the airplane’s rotating beacon light had been extinguished by the flight crew.”

The rest is rather gruesome.

Like Steam?

Old 01-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #395
Ksyrup

Sheesh. All I'll say is that it's somewhat comforting to know that it was more an act of stupidity/obstinance rather than some sort of safety breakdown. I feel for the family, but this dude appears to not have taken it as seriously as he should have (assuming this is a true account of what happened).
Old 01-25-2023, 10:03 AM   #396
PilotMan
Head Coach

Except it wasn't a dude, it was a mother of 3.

Like Steam?

Old 01-25-2023, 11:00 AM   #397
Ksyrup

Ouch. That sucks. But seems like she was beyond negligent.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:49 AM   #398
Edward64
Head Coach

Hmmm, always thought seats in middle by wing section was safest. I actually don’t mind the rear especially if I don’t have status, I think it maximizes chance to store luggage in overhead compartment with least hassle.

Seat by seat, scientists reveal your risk of dying on an airplane if it crashes | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-09-2023, 03:13 AM   #399
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn’t know these bags existed.

Four Hospitalized After Battery Pack Caught Fire on United Airlines Flight
Quote:
A United Airlines spokesperson said an external battery caught on fire inside a seat back pocket of first class, and the flight crew prevented the fire from spreading through the cabin by placing the battery into a thermal containment bag or fire bag, per ABC News.
Okay, I guess I won’t roll my eyes when asked (for the umpteenth) if I have any lithium batteries in my checked luggage.

However, I did roll my eyes when I was asked to put my electric shaver running on AA batteries into my carryon.

Quote:
There were a total of 57 lithium battery incidents involving smoke, fire or extreme heat last year, according to the FAA's website.
Quote:
In recent years, the number of lithium battery incidents has gone up, with the FAA reporting on average of 40-60 happening in recent years, compared to reports in 2014-2015, which saw fewer than 20 lithium battery incidents.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #400
bhlloy
Coordinator

Back in the US for the first time in 7 months and immediately my connecting flight is delayed 4 hours and slipping all the time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote