Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2023, 10:38 PM   #501
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
There were plenty of BLM supporters that were saying "Looting is just a form of reparations"

Black Lives Matter Chicago activist looting as reparations comments

Aside from the obvious nonsense of equating BLM with "the left," that isn't "plenty of people." That's one person who the article spends most of its time demonstrating that that view is too radical for everyone else.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:18 PM   #502
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why aren't they "the left"?

It's an incredibly small contingent of people with no political power at all.

The difference here is that extremists on the left have no political power. There are almost no major politicians calling for rioting from what I've seen. Heck, the farthest federally elected officials on the left in this country would be moderates throughout most of Europe.

On the other hand, most Republicans do not support democratic elections anymore. Most support January 6th terrorists and have called for their release or referred to them as political prisoners.

You are comparing a few fringe characters on one side with no political power to a position held by over 30% of all Americans. A group that holds immense power over states, federal government, and the courts.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-30-2023 at 11:19 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:08 PM   #503
RainMaker
General Manager

When people talk about rioting and looting that took place during some of the protests, they often don't mention the violence committed by law enforcement. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of videos of crimes being committed by officers during those protests. Many of which were violent as opposed to property damage. And I think we know which side most officers fall on politically.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:27 PM   #504
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
When people talk about rioting and looting that took place during some of the protests, they often don't mention the violence committed by law enforcement. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of videos of crimes being committed by officers during those protests. Many of which were violent as opposed to property damage. And I think we know which side most officers fall on politically.

I'm just as opposed to calling the police "the right" as I am calling the protestors "the left," but the effect cancels here making the point stand.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #505
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My Twitter experience is still largely unchanged, but one thing I've noticed the past several weeks is at least once a day, I get a push notification from a Twitter Blue right winger usually expressing outrage over the latest culture war issue. Today's had something to do with Ben and Jerrys. Before, I would only get notifications of people I followed. Now, it's mostly force-feeding me tweets from the right wing social media outrage machine.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #506
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hold up, a right-winger is upset over some presumably woke thing Ben & Jerry's did? Are they unaware of the history of that particular ice cream purveyor?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:37 PM   #507
Ksyrup

I just looked it up - they have announced they are ending paid advertising on Twitter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-03-2023, 01:40 PM   #508
Ksyrup

And yeah, this is along the lines of the right wingers who went off on Tom Morello for being woke a little while back. "I'm never listening to Rage Against the Machine again!"

How do you just hear RATM over and over and not even listen to a single a word?
Old 06-03-2023, 07:58 PM   #509
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, if you subscribe to a world view that makes being incurious and ignorant virtues, I can see how it would happen....
Old 06-03-2023, 09:49 PM   #510
RainMaker
General Manager

The people upset with RATM are funny but I still find the politicians playing Born in the USA at rallies to be the funniest.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:55 PM   #511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
How do you just hear RATM over and over and not even listen to a single a word?

Yeah, that was a headscratcher. You pretty much have to be only hearing them at random to not know that they're vermin. It's not exactly something they've ever hidden.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:01 AM   #512
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, that was a headscratcher. You pretty much have to be only hearing them at random to not know that they're vermin. It's not exactly something they've ever hidden.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:31 AM   #513
Ksyrup

In fairness to the racists, you could totally flip the lyrics to Killing In the Name Of and read them as being some sort of pro-KKK/law enforcement stance.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:38 AM   #514
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Nah, let's not be fair to the racists.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #515
Atocep
Coordinator

In general, the songs the right use are hilarious. Katie Hobbs walked out for a speech to "American Woman" recently.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:34 PM   #516
Mota
College Benchwarmer

In Elon news, my dad (76) visited this weekend and was all excited about this Elon Musk trading AI that could double $250 in just hours. A super-quantum computer that can out-think any human. First of all, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to promise specific returns on trading. And after looking into it, it's a scam. Thankfully he just happened to be visiting me at the same time as he was hearing about this scam.
I'm sure it goes like this. You deposit $250, the app tells you that you made $500 in a few days. So please deposit more money, this is easy! And at some point, you want to withdraw your money and you never can.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:53 PM   #517
Ksyrup

It's impossible to quit Twitter when you get content like this:

Old 06-06-2023, 01:21 AM   #518
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
One side literally stormed the Capitol building, attempting to overthrow an election with violent force while the other *checks notes* wants people to stop banning books in schools. Totally the same.

Says the crypto-bro.

To be fair I have said crypto projects are 99% scams. I think as humans we tend to put the blinkers on. Living in a left wing echo chamber like this one where seeing the perspective of the other 50% of the country is genuinely alien. Watching that comfortable news channel, or reading that website, which aligns with your political views. Or living in a comfortable western country where "crypto" seems like a joke.

For me it's a money making tool, I just find it easier to read than the stock market. I don't see how that is a crime. That said I am only in for around 3% of my net worth, for sure it is a high risk asset.

Inflation Rate by Country 2023

You live in countries where your currency is debasing by 50% or even 300% a year you may take Bitcoin more seriously. There is a set supply, none of this printing out of thin air which leads to these horrific inflation figures. You legally can not own a stable (ish) currency like the dollar. Numerous countries which have frozen the bank accounts of their citizens without warning due to the financial chaos that they themselves are responsible for.

The left prides themselves in empathy towards others and minority groups. Yet in truth protectecting the dollar seems to come first in this case. Although the irony is that they are well on the way to destroying it themselves as they have made it a weapon. That factor alone is turning much of the world against it.

Whether it Bitcoin or politics I think it's important we don't get trapped in a mindset. Most often if we see others with a different viewpoint as fools, or with devious attitudes or low morals, the issue is ourselves. Our lack of understanding and empathy is on us.

Last edited by Hammer : 06-06-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:24 AM   #519
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(looks at JoninMiddleGA, and a couple others)

Left Wing Echo Chamber? 0_o
Old 06-06-2023, 02:09 AM   #520
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
(looks at JoninMiddleGA, and a couple others)

Left Wing Echo Chamber? 0_o

Don't take it as a dig, I lean left myself. But yeah, I imagine if someone put a poll up the board is way more skewed left. Fairly extreme no time for anything even slightly right, kind of left. Or are they just the more vocal ones?

Last edited by Hammer : 06-06-2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:23 AM   #521
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah it definitely is. There are rare exceptions like Jon but for every one of those there are many on the left.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:14 AM   #522
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that this board skews left. I don’t think that there are a lot of extremists here on either side (relative to other online platforms), but in terms of raw numbers, I think there’s a pretty heavy leftward tilt.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:24 AM   #523
MJ4H
Coordinator

I doubt anyone here is in a leftist echo chamber. I'd be extremely surprised if this board were the only interaction any of us have with others. For me, personally, I'm very heavily involved in other sites (one of the main reasons I haven't been here regularly in years), none of which could be described that way.

This site does have a left lean, which is one of the reasons I've come back. It's kind of nice to have some sanity around me for once.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-06-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:38 PM   #524
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the overton window has moved so much for some people that not being an outright fascist constitutes being a leftist extremist to them.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:40 PM   #525
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
The left prides themselves in empathy towards others and minority groups. Yet in truth protectecting the dollar seems to come first in this case. Although the irony is that they are well on the way to destroying it themselves as they have made it a weapon. That factor alone is turning much of the world against it.

Genuinely curious how the left is destroying the dollar. I don't think they've controlled monetary policy in over 100 years.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #526
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You live in countries where your currency is debasing by 50% or even 300% a year you may take Bitcoin more seriously. There is a set supply, none of this printing out of thin air which leads to these horrific inflation figures. You legally can not own a stable (ish) currency like the dollar. Numerous countries which have frozen the bank accounts of their citizens without warning due to the financial chaos that they themselves are responsible for.

If I was living in a Venezuela or Lebanon, and I couldn't easily change my local currency for USD, I can see myself investing into Bitcoin.

I can't imagine my paycheck & life savings being eroded with horrendous inflation.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:45 AM   #527
whomario
Pro Starter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyA0beTW...jpg&name=small

Cool and normal stuff this crusade of his (and 110% this is all about him being unable to deal with his childs decisions and blaming everybody but himself for one of those being to sever all contact to him).

"BuT ITs jUSt a mEmE!"
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:13 PM   #528
whomario
Pro Starter

Holy platitude salad, Batman. (From the new CEO)

https://twitter.com/lindayacc/status...00211591188480
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-12-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #529
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer

That's fine if and only if you can buy things directly with Bitcoin. I.e., it actually becomes a functional currency. Otherwhise it does no good. The likelihood of that happening in countries run that poorly on the financial side is ... not high, to be kind about it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-12-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:48 AM   #530
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In the long run, I think Elon constantly showing his whole ass will be bad for him and his businesses.

But there are some real short and medium term upsides to going all-in on one side of the political spectrum. I doubt that Tesla gets this exception if Elon isn't out there as a right wing hero.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #531
RainMaker
General Manager

Twitter is bankrupt and a lost cause. If he can leverage it for help with his other companies, it's probably smart. He's set himself up for even more government handouts if a Republican wins the Presidency.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #532
RainMaker
General Manager

Elon's "free speech" isn't exactly looking great.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/15/elon...la-critic.html

Twitter Blocks Video Over ‘Abortion Advocacy’ | HuffPost Latest News

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-15-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #533
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Conservative Twitter: democrats are evil pedophiles.

Also Conservative Twitter: look, maybe pedophilia is OK.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #534
BYU 14
Coordinator

My goodness, Jerry Sandusky was many things, wrongfully convicted was NOT one of them
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:40 AM   #535
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Yeah, I know Penn State fans are still salty about it, but I didn't realize there was an entire Sandusky is innocent society.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:09 PM   #536
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Let's not forget about the real victim:

Old 06-16-2023, 07:13 PM   #537
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Yeah, I know Penn State fans are still salty about it, but I didn't realize there was an entire Sandusky is innocent society.

Same. I thought it was mostly people upset about JoePa. Never heard anyone claim the Sandusky stuff wasn't true. I mean there was a fucking eyewitness.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:15 PM   #538
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
My goodness, Jerry Sandusky was many things, wrongfully convicted was NOT one of them

It's all projection from these people. Guessing a good chunk are deeply in the closet too.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:35 PM   #539
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You have to remember there is a huge number of people that constantly watch a "news" channel that had told them don't believe what you see with your own eyes or hear with your own ears.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:47 AM   #540
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I doubt anyone here is in a leftist echo chamber. I'd be extremely surprised if this board were the only interaction any of us have with others. For me, personally, I'm very heavily involved in other sites (one of the main reasons I haven't been here regularly in years), none of which could be described that way.

This site does have a left lean, which is one of the reasons I've come back. It's kind of nice to have some sanity around me for once.

I bet there are a fair few here on this board who work in tech. Many tech companies lean left. Well educated people, the colleges and universities lean left. Not sure if university is just an English term, where you guys get your degrees I mean. You end up with mainly left friends and post on a left board. Your wife is more likely to be left. That sort of echo chamber is pretty common I bet.

Again, not taking shots at the left. It just strikes me there are a lot of folk here with very similar opinions. Certainly not all, just something I have noticed. Doesn't seem to be many Trump supporters.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:56 AM   #541
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That's fine if and only if you can buy things directly with Bitcoin. I.e., it actually becomes a functional currency. Otherwhise it does no good. The likelihood of that happening in countries run that poorly on the financial side is ... not high, to be kind about it.

I would disagree. You would be amazed how many millions out there have no access to a bank. Inflation is one problem, freezing accounts is another. Although they don't have banks, they do have smart phones. These people may be smart but they are not dumb. They control their private keys so none of this platform worry (FTX, Binance etc).

I don't see Bitcoin as a currency. It could be used as one but there are plenty of cryptos which perform better as a currency as they are cheaper and faster. I could send you a million dollars for less than a penny in under 2 seconds using something like Solana. If I used Bitcoin it would cost several dollars and it would land in around 40 mins.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:06 AM   #542
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Genuinely curious how the left is destroying the dollar. I don't think they've controlled monetary policy in over 100 years.

I think the sanctions on Russia woke up a whole bunch of nations. They weaponised the dollar. Huge mistake. Now everyone knows if they cross the U.S. they could be financially punished. That is why so many countries are moving away from the dollar in the last few months.

I am not against trying to make life hard for Russia bit just a flat out dumb move IMO. This lit a fire under the ass of many nations who are at odds with the U.S. No idea what direction they take, it could be the Yuan or Bitcoin. My guess something new. But they know they need to get away from the dollar ASAP now.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:30 AM   #543
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We’ve been using economic sanctions since forever.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:11 AM   #544
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I bet there are a fair few here on this board who work in tech. Many tech companies lean left. Well educated people, the colleges and universities lean left. Not sure if university is just an English term, where you guys get your degrees I mean. You end up with mainly left friends and post on a left board. Your wife is more likely to be left. That sort of echo chamber is pretty common I bet.

Again, not taking shots at the left. It just strikes me there are a lot of folk here with very similar opinions. Certainly not all, just something I have noticed. Doesn't seem to be many Trump supporters.

This didn't address what I said at all. Very few people only interact with one set of people in their lives these days. You listing the people they interact with in one aspect of their lives doesn't change that.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #545
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

If there is a question in there you answered it yourself.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #546
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ironically, this board is absolutely the number one source for shitty libertarian opinions in my bubble.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-17-2023 at 09:49 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 10:28 AM   #547
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I find it amusing that "woke" is a negative term because it means you're awake, does that mean all the Trumpies want to stay asleep?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 10:42 AM   #548
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

You are right. Most educated people aren't Trump supporters.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #549
JPhillips
General Manager

This board is smaller than in the past, but it has always had a strong conservative and libertarian contingent. Many of those that stayed active have given up on both the GOP and the Libertarian party because of the candidates and policies they have embraced. I think a fair number of folks are still moderate to moderate/right, but there aren't really any active posters that are MAGA.

IMO that says more about MAGA than it does this board.

edit: I'm sure there are plenty of votes here for a theoretical Larry Hogan GOP nominee.

Last edited by JPhillips : 06-17-2023 at 11:11 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The problem with even a "normal" GOP candidate the party absolutely can not be trusted.

You can't tell me guys like Rubio, McConnell. Cruz, etc...don't hate Trump and know how toxic he is for the party. Yet they had their chance to get rid of him and every one of them were to afraid of his base to do it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote