Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #8001
Edward64
Head Coach

I'd think many are positioning themselves for the VP slot (unless they get lucky) and/or positioning for 2028. My guess is Christie is also thinking a rehabilitation tour.

Ideally there is a strong and viable candidate to Trump but, right now, the more splintered the GOP the better. A dark horse may arise.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:46 PM   #8002
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Ideally there is a strong and viable candidate to Trump but, right now, the more splintered the GOP the better. A dark horse may arise.

...better for whom? Trump, presumably. He's already got around 35% of the party base on firm lockdown. In a 1:1 battle he might have some trouble, but if it's him against a clown car of aspirants each pulling a few votes here and there, that's great for him.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:56 PM   #8003
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

See 2015-16.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #8004
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think there is a guy that stands on a street corner and yells about being from planet Zebob that has a better chance of winning the nomination than Christie.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:46 PM   #8005
GrantDawg

If you were going to create a non-MAGA candidate to beat Trump, what would they look like? I just can't picture one at all.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:55 PM   #8006
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
If you were going to create a non-MAGA candidate to beat Trump, what would they look like? I just can't picture one at all.

A moderate evangelical that's willing to go toe to toe, highlight Trump's flaws, and call him out on his religious pandering. Like I said, it's threading the needle but doable.

Nearly anyone else needs to pull part of the MAGA base away from Trump and none of those candidates seem to understand not showing weakness is the top thing MAGA looks for. Own the libs is 2nd because if you're weak you're not going to own the libs hard enough. DeSantis doesn't get that and it's why Trump has been able to bury him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:55 PM   #8007
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Maybe a young military guy? That seems to be the go-to Republican candidate in TV shows when they want to portray him as widely popular.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #8008
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A moderate evangelical that's willing to go toe to toe, highlight Trump's flaws, and call him out on his religious pandering. Like I said, it's threading the needle but doable.

Nearly anyone else needs to pull part of the MAGA base away from Trump and none of those candidates seem to understand not showing weakness is the top thing MAGA looks for. Own the libs is 2nd because if you're weak you're not going to own the libs hard enough. DeSantis doesn't get that and it's why Trump has been able to bury him.
It is not "nearly anyone else", it is anyone. You cannot win the nomination without somehow pulling some MAGA support, period. It is too big a percentage of the party now. I would say a moderate has to somehow appeal to at least 10-15% of that base more than Trump or a Trump-lite. And to hope to win the general, they have then keep 70-80% of them on board and voting while pulling a majority of moderate independents. (All numbers pulled from my butt, yet I don't think far off)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #8009
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe a young military guy? That seems to be the go-to Republican candidate in TV shows when they want to portray him as widely popular.
What's his positions? How is going to thread the needle of getting at least some of the extremist support without losing more moderate support? I have a hard time imaging the platform. Pro-choice but banning late term abortions? How does he back off on the Anti-CRT, Anti-woke garbage, yet still sell him self to evangelicals? I think the financial part is easy. The classic GOP "I'm going to cut your taxes, reduce the deficit, and spend more money on defense than can possibily exist in the world" lie people will always buy.It is all the social issues that will be the mine-field.
I mean, really big charisma would make a huge difference. An ability to destroy Trump verbally while not breaking a sweat is a must as well.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:21 PM   #8010
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like it's almost time for the 2024 Republican Nomination Thread
Old 05-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #8011
Ksyrup

Quote:
What's his positions? How is going to thread the needle of getting at least some of the extremist support without losing more moderate support? I have a hard time imaging the platform. Pro-choice but banning late term abortions? How does he back off on the Anti-CRT, Anti-woke garbage, yet still sell him self to evangelicals? I think the financial part is easy. The classic GOP "I'm going to cut your taxes, reduce the deficit, and spend more money on defense than can possibily exist in the world" lie people will always buy.It is all the social issues that will be the mine-field.
I mean, really big charisma would make a huge difference. An ability to destroy Trump verbally while not breaking a sweat is a must as well.

My brother and I were just talking about this. His exact quote was, the GOP needs another Eisenhower.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-31-2023, 02:32 PM   #8012
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Sounds like it's almost time for the 2024 Republican Nomination Thread
Done.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:58 PM   #8013
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Straight Pete Buttigieg
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:12 PM   #8014
GrantDawg

The first vote dealing with the debt limit law. Typical political games.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:15 PM   #8015
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's going on there?
Old 05-31-2023, 03:18 PM   #8016
GrantDawg

Quote:
What's going on there?
Dems trying to force the GOP to have the majority of the vote. It is in protest of the whole process.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #8017
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dems trying to force the GOP to have the majority of the vote. It is in protest of the whole process.

Is there an actual point to this protest? It looks like silly nonsense from my perspective.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:28 PM   #8018
GrantDawg

Quote:
Is there an actual point to this protest? It looks like silly nonsense from my perspective.
It means something to them. It is the same performative stuff that goes on pretty regularly in the House. I predict as much earlier.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:36 PM   #8019
GrantDawg

To be fair, there is a reason that does make some sense. Minoroty Leader Jefferies told McCarthy that the bill must pass with at least a majority of the Republicans voting for it. If a huge number of Dems vote for it, it will allow the Republicans political cover to vote against it. That would protect them from primary attacks that they "caved to the WH".
Old 05-31-2023, 05:00 PM   #8020
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I really think some of these people, like Christie, think they can peel the non-maga GOP away and beat Trump.

Trump could always die too. Or have a massive stroke or something. Or be charged with a lot more stuff. Or murder and eat a baby. Who knows.

Last edited by molson : 05-31-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:02 PM   #8021
Ksyrup

Quote:
Trump could always die too. Or have a massive stroke or something. Or be charged with a lot more stuff. Or murder and eat a baby. Who knows.

The latter few would increase his support. The first, when it happens, will result in him being treated even more as a religious figure than he is already. Not to mention, the conspiracy theories will be OFF THE HOOK!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-31-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:27 PM   #8022
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The latter few would increase his support. The first, when it happens, will result in him being treated even more as a religious figure than he is already. Not to mention, the conspiracy theories will be OFF THE HOOK!

If Trump died while campaigning he'd be the GOP Tupac. There'd be so many conspiracies about him being alive and sightings, ect.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:28 PM   #8023
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

The more votes from the GOP the better for McCarthy.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:36 PM   #8024
GrantDawg

In the end, there were only 29 "nay" votes from the GOP. Only 52 Dems voted "yay."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2023, 07:39 PM   #8025
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
In the end, there were only 29 "nay" votes from the GOP. Only 52 Dems voted "yay."

29 is a terrible number. He is so weak.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:23 PM   #8026
GrantDawg

Tje vote on the actual bill is getting overwhelming support. 268-90 right now.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-31-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:25 PM   #8027
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
29 is a terrible number. He is so weak.

71 no's, now.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:25 PM   #8028
GrantDawg

The Dems actually outvoted the GOP by 20 in the final count.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:26 PM   #8029
GrantDawg

Bronconick, that was for the rule vote.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #8030
Edward64
Head Coach

Now off to the Senate.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:24 PM   #8031
Edward64
Head Coach

Good luck and more power to her. If one isn't happy in the US, take the initiative and remake your life somewhere else. Plenty of other immigrants willing to take her place.

But somehow I doubt she's thought through this well, and suspect she won't be happy in the long run. Assume she'll be able to return if she so chooses (dual citizenship and all that).

Tara Reade: Woman who accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993 defects to Russia | CNN
Quote:
A former staffer who accused Joe Biden of sexual assault has defected to Moscow, telling state media that she felt “safe” in Russia and would seek citizenship there.

Tara Reade, who drew headlines during the 2020 presidential race by accusing then-candidate Biden of sexually harassing and assaulting her, said she decided to go to Russia after receiving threats in the US.
Quote:
Reade said she decided to come to Russia following death threats she received this year after she reiterated her accusations regarding Biden and announced on Twitter that she was willing “to testify under oath in Congress if asked.”

“When I got off the plane in Moscow, for the first time in a very long time I felt safe, and I felt heard, and I felt respected. That has not happened in my own country,” Reade said.
:
Reade said that “this illusion of Russia as an enemy is propagated by a few Washington elites who are determined to cause problems.”
Old 06-01-2023, 06:25 AM   #8032
GrantDawg

Does sort of beg the question, why didn't the Republicans call her to testify in congress?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:18 AM   #8033
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I guess it isn't fully over yet, but the House's part of it is.

McCarthy took Biden from "we won't negotiate" to an intensely-negotiated deal. And he got his conference to pass it. And there does not appear that there will be a formal challenge to his Speakership--just a lot of hot air blown his way.

He deserves credit--this could have blown up in the GOPs face several times as they stepped on rakes (which is clearly what the White House was expecting/hoping for). And it didn't. He did pretty much what he said he was going to do the whole time.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #8034
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Does sort of beg the question, why didn't the Republicans call her to testify in congress?

‘Manipulative, deceitful, user’: Tara Reade left a trail of aggrieved acquaintances - POLITICO

Because even by republican standards she isn't remotely believable.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:13 PM   #8035
GrantDawg

Quote:
You know how easy that is to pass off as character assignation, though? "The Dems are just attacking the victim..." "Believe women!" etc. etc.
I can't help but wonder if there isn't a bigger smoking gun out there. One other than she doesn't come off as credible, because that has never stopped Republicans before.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:51 PM   #8036
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not a great look.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #8037
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

One fall for a guy his age can have a lot of bad consequences. He really needs to consider not running (no pun intended) in 2024.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #8038
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He tripped over a poorly placed sandbag, so of course the ghouls are pivoting to claiming he's blind.

Our country is irredeemable at this point.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #8039
GrantDawg

Dude is 80 and he bounced up like he was 25. That's the bigger story. I'm 54, and I fall probably once a week. I don't bounce up like that.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #8040
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Dude is 80 and he bounced up like he was 25. That's the bigger story. I'm 54, and I fall probably once a week. I don't bounce up like that.

This should be a thing at presidential debates. Every candidate gets shoved to the ground, and we can see how quickly they get back up. The shover could be a celebrity, like maybe the Rock.

Last edited by molson : 06-01-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #8041
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This should be a thing at presidential debates. Every candidate gets shoved to the ground, and we can see how quickly they get back up. The shover could be a celebrity, like maybe the Rock.

How is this not a thing yet?
Old 06-01-2023, 06:53 PM   #8042
GrantDawg

I would buy that on PPV even.
Meanwhile, Senate has the debt ceiling bill up fir vote. They expect it won't officially pass until midnight because they have to slap down 11 amendments first.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #8043
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Presidential combine
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #8044
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"I voted for Wilbur, his policies are garbage now, but his short-shuttle was off the charts!"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #8045
Kodos
Resident Alien

Presidential burpee contests!
Old 06-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #8046
Edward64
Head Coach

Presidential Olympic Games ... running, cycling, swimming, and definitely boxing & Greco Roman wrestling.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #8047
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I've no doubt Biden is in better physical shape than Trump. He should actually challenge him to some series of physical events. A triathlon or something. Trump says no he looks like a coward. Says yes and he gets embarrassed.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #8048
Ksyrup

Karaoke contest. Not singing, but the warmup exercise.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #8049
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Trump would get a bone spurs waiver.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:07 PM   #8050
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good luck trying to shove Christie to the ground.