Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #101
miked
College Starter

When they opened a Sonic in New Jersey, my brother went to eat at it and said there were hour long lines for service/food. He even was on a road trip once and went 30 minutes out of his way (each way) to eat at Sonic. Gross.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #102
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #103
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

You guys don't have a Bojangles down there? They make a killing on Sundays here.. They're also my favorite fast food place.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #104
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was in Los Angeles for the first time in 34 years over the weekend. I had never had an "In and Out" burger before. I ended up grabbing a cheese burger and fries at one near LAX while waiting for my brother-in-law and his wife to arrive.

I have to say, I started off not being very impressed, then I enjoyed it more and more as I ate it and by the time it was done I missed it dearly and wanted another.

We were staying at out in Costa Mesa and drove by not one, but two locations where there was both a CFA and "In and Out Burger" within a few hundred yards of each other. There's only one CFA in Michigan and it's not that close and I very rarely eat fast food. I never got a chance to go back to "In and Out" or CFA, but if I lived there...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #105
Dutch
"Dutch"

In n Out Burger, home of the original long assed line.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #106
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We had a CFA open in our town recently -- nothing really special, in my view, just another strip of suburbia moving incrementally closer to looking identical to every other such strip. Anyway, there were about 30 tents full of people sleeping over for a night (in the rain) in advance of the "grand opening." I'm told it's a thing. Weirdos.

They are building a brand spankin new CFA a couple blocks from my house. My question is: since they are pouring the foundation this week, should I start camping out now, or wait until the parking lot is paved? Also: will the construction crew take my pre-order?

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 10-16-2013 at 12:24 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #107
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Fun thread.

We had a CFA open in our town recently -- nothing really special, in my view, just another strip of suburbia moving incrementally closer to looking identical to every other such strip. Anyway, there were about 30 tents full of people sleeping over for a night (in the rain) in advance of the "grand opening." I'm told it's a thing. Weirdos.

Same thing happened our suburb when the CFA opened a couple years ago.

Of course, the first however many people got some crazy deal - free sandwiches for a year or something similar.

Now that we DO have a Chick-Fil-A in our backyard, however. OPEN THE FUCKING PLACE ON SUNDAYS.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #108
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Same thing happened our suburb when the CFA opened a couple years ago.

Of course, the first however many people got some crazy deal - free sandwiches for a year or something similar.

Now that we DO have a Chick-Fil-A in our backyard, however. OPEN THE FUCKING PLACE ON SUNDAYS.

That's a huge part of their "theme" that makes them ultra-popular, I'd suggest against it from a money-making angle.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #109
PilotMan
Head Coach

I usually prefer my food without a morality lesson.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #110
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Found out when my wife was pregnant with our first kid that she has a secret craving for Chick-Fil-A. This is notable, because she's been a vegetarian for ~15 years. It was a strong enough craving that one night she actually looked up where the closest one was (Boise, ID), and contemplated making a road trip to get one (7.5 hours each way).

Of course all the recent hullabaloo over their religious policies has probably killed any remaining desire on her part to get one, if there was any left post pregnancy food urges.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #111
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Do the combo's at Chick Fil A come with something I am missing?
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #112
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
Do the combo's at Chick Fil A come with something I am missing?

Deep fried Jesus. Delicious, delicious, deep fried Jesus.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #113
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hey look!! An ancient resurrected thread where I don't come off as an asshole!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #114
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

That's probably a good reason not to have the joints open on Sunday, actually.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Hey look!! An ancient resurrected thread where I don't come off as an asshole!!!

Never fear. You still have time!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #116
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
When they opened a Sonic in New Jersey, my brother went to eat at it and said there were hour long lines for service/food. He even was on a road trip once and went 30 minutes out of his way (each way) to eat at Sonic. Gross.
Yeah, there was a Sonic opening near Boston (first one north of NYC/CT?) that people made into a fairly big deal. Although I think part of that was the omnipresent Sonic TV commercials in this area when the closest branch was 3 states away.

There was one opening that topped it though, some Guatemalan chicken place that seemingly every Central American from New England showed up to Diners flock to new Guatemala fast food franchise in Chelsea - The Boston Globe
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #117
RainMaker
General Manager

We had one open near me and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Felt it was built up for years by my brother who lived down South and others. It's a decent fast food chicken sandwich, but not in the same ballpark as Wendy's Spicy Chicken.

Also had a 5 Guys open up that I was excited to try. Good burger but nothing I can't get from a dozen other burger joints in the area.

I guess my point is that I'd appreciate it if all you folks with some cool regional fast food joint stop building your stuff up so that I am disappointed by the actual results when it gets here.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #118
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
You guys don't have a Bojangles down there? They make a killing on Sundays here.. They're also my favorite fast food place.

I miss the Bo. But do you guys have Cookout up in your part of the state?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #119
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

i like this quote coming a few posts after people saying how great in n out is

in n out is very christian too. i believe there are bible quotes on the bottom of their drink cups. but they are open on sundays, so no one associates it, i guess.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #120
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

God I miss Cookout, hands down the best fast food burger joint in the world. I am excited though because Myrtle Beach is getting two of them so next summer when we're there I'll be enjoying a burger and one of their shakes.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #121
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
God I miss Cookout, hands down the best fast food burger joint in the world. I am excited though because Myrtle Beach is getting two of them so next summer when we're there I'll be enjoying a burger and one of their shakes.

We are? what is this Cookout you talk about?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #122
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
We are? what is this Cookout you talk about?

Hey Thomkal, here's a link: Cook-Out® Restaurant - "Cooked Outdoors Style"

The food is really good for fast food, it's what BK should be given the fact that they are "flame broiled." My wife craves this place and we literally plan our drive down to Myrtle around stopping in a town that has one.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #123
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
We had one open near me and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Felt it was built up for years by my brother who lived down South and others. It's a decent fast food chicken sandwich, but not in the same ballpark as Wendy's Spicy Chicken.

Odd. I thought it was quite a bit better than Wendy's Spicy Chicken (which is pretty much the only thing I get from Wendy's).
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #124
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

The food is really good for fast food, it's what BK should be given the fact that they are "flame broiled." My wife craves this place and we literally plan our drive down to Myrtle around stopping in a town that has one.

Thanks for the info-had never heard of the restaurant before which is surprising given how many are in SC. This one is in Conway, which is away from the beach and not an area I go to often these days. Not sure where the other one will be other than Myrtle Beach somewhere. I will have to go check it out.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #125
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Thomkal, one of them is going by the K&W in South Myrtle and the other, I believe, is going on the north side.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #126
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
God I miss Cookout, hands down the best fast food burger joint in the world.

I dunno about that... but I do love Cookout. Greasy, disgusting in a great way, and insanely cheap. Also, any place where you can order a burger with a corn dog as your side is A+ in my book.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #127
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I dunno about that... but I do love Cookout. Greasy, disgusting in a great way, and insanely cheap. Also, any place where you can order a burger with a corn dog as your side is A+ in my book.

Yeah, the trays are just silly. Get a burger and two sides from, what, fries/onion rings/chicken nuggets/corn dogs/chicken wraps/hush puppies? And then finish it off with a Cheerwine or a milkshake? Man.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #128
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, there was a Sonic opening near Boston (first one north of NYC/CT?) that people made into a fairly big deal. Although I think part of that was the omnipresent Sonic TV commercials in this area when the closest branch was 3 states away.

There was one opening that topped it though, some Guatemalan chicken place that seemingly every Central American from New England showed up to Diners flock to new Guatemala fast food franchise in Chelsea - The Boston Globe

There's a Sonic in Newburgh.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

OMG, I cannot believe you said this ... I just had Cook-Out for the 3rd time in two weeks, only the second location in Georgia just opened down the street from me about that time.

Amazing quality when you consider the lowest combo meal price (for an actual decent amount of food) I've seen in ages. HUGE favorite right now, and the variety of entrees means you can actually do it several times a week if need be without feeling like you're in a rut.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #130
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey Thomkal, one of them is going by the K&W in South Myrtle and the other, I believe, is going on the north side.

Ah much better, I'm 5-10 mins from the one in Surfside (S. Myrtle).
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #131
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Dude. Cookout. They have one in Asheville, I wish there was one closer to me. They took what Backyard Burger was doing and improved on it.

FUCK EA
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #132
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I've never understood the lack of actual grilled burgers when going out to eat and figured it was an easy way to separate a burger place from the others. I keep being surprised how many places known for burgers I can out cook due to using a grill or understanding you aren't suppose to smash all of the juices out of one. We got a Halo burger restaurant that came in recently and for the price, I was disappointed.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #133
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

There's another hidden gem in Asheville, at the mall. A greek place called Baba Ghannouj. (I think thats how its spelled anyway) Most amazing mall food I have ever had.

FUCK EA
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #134
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dude. Cookout. They have one in Asheville, I wish there was one closer to me. They took what Backyard Burger was doing and improved on it.

Quote:
There's another hidden gem in Asheville, at the mall. A greek place called Baba Ghannouj. (I think thats how its spelled anyway) Most amazing mall food I have ever had.

Ugh. I asked because I'll be in Franklin for a wedding part of next weekend. Need a way to make it quicker to get to Asheville.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #135
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i like this quote coming a few posts after people saying how great in n out is

in n out is very christian too. i believe there are bible quotes on the bottom of their drink cups. but they are open on sundays, so no one associates it, i guess.
I think it has to do with the fact that while Chick-fil-A got themselves in the middle of the same sex marriage debate, while I can't recall hearing In-N-Out doing anything similarly controversial.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
OMG, I cannot believe you said this ... I just had Cook-Out for the 3rd time in two weeks, only the second location in Georgia just opened down the street from me about that time.

Jon as a valley girl. Who knew

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #137
Dutch
"Dutch"

haha...I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #138
BYU 14
Coordinator

The CFA where I live is rarely busy and closest thing to food-mania we have had in Surprise is when the 5 Guys opened. There was a line outside that wrapped around the building, that includes 3 other places of business. I waited over a month to finally go because I had no intention of waiting for a Burger like it was a black Friday sale.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #139
Butter
Coordinator

I'll fifth or sixth the Cookout recommendation. A combo with a shake comes in at something like $6. My boys enjoy getting the chicken nuggets with a side of corn dog and bacon wrap. And it's pretty much delicious.

We hit Bojangles, Cookout, and Zaxby's on a rotating basis on our trips down to Greenville and Clemson. Sadly, the Cookout in Greenville is a bit out of the way near Furman (since their thing seems to be locating near college campuses), but there is one smack in the middle of Clemson.

I crave Bo Rounds pretty regularly. Sadly none of these restaurants will never be coming north.

Last edited by Butter : 10-17-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #140
Dutch
"Dutch"

Five Guys is off the chain. Just don't eat it when you have to think in the afternoon.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #141
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Five Guys is off the chain. Just don't eat it when you have to think in the afternoon.

I do endorse his feelings
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
There was a line outside that wrapped around the building, that includes 3 other places of business. I waited over a month to finally go because I had no intention of waiting for a Burger like it was a black Friday sale.

Welcome to pretty much every counter-service restaurant that opens in Athens, GA.

The long-awaited arrival of a Steak 'n Shake had lines outside the building for literally months before it calmed down.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #143
Dutch
"Dutch"

And suddenly I'm concerned for Athens, Georgia...desperate for a Steak n Shake? Really, Athens? Really???
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
And suddenly I'm concerned for Athens, Georgia...desperate for a Steak n Shake? Really, Athens? Really???

That's probably the biggest opening here in years, but there is at least a bit of backstory to that.

Although they're all over the Atlanta suburbs the nearest one to Athens was almost an hour away, down in Gwinnett County where there are 4-5 of them. Three guesses which county sends the most students to UGA.

So you've got a built-in loyal audience in the student body combined with a series of rumors & false starts that had the whole town expecting one to open going back at least 3-4 years & probably more (I heard rumors not long after we arrived & that was about 8 years ago).

So you've got an audience, you've got anticipation ... and we're talking about the best fries in the business today. Then you put the small'ish model of the store on a lot the size of a postage stamp and you end up with literally months of wall to wall people & a traffic situation that required at least two people directing traffic in/out of the lot at all times. It finally cooled down after a couple of semesters but it was truly insane with waits of 30-90 minutes pretty much the whole time prior to that.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #145
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
... and we're talking about the best fries in the business today.

I'm going to have to call nope on this.

Last edited by Butter : 10-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #146
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I think the few we have here in SoCal are open on Sundays.

No they aren't.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm going to have to call nope on this.

I can't think of anything even begins to come close tbh.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #148
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I can't stand the skinnier fries so Steak and Shake's fries don't really appeal to me. 5 Guys was decent, but I need to go again.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #149
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hate skinny fries too.

5 Guys is pretty good. Burgers are really good.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Agreed with the nope on SnS fries. They are way down there for me.