Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #151
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't think of anything even begins to come close tbh.

As others have said, it's the "matchstick" aspect. They just aren't good. I think that must be a "creamy vs. chunky" peanut butter taste type thing.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #152
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you're a skinny fries person, I could see them at the top of some lists. It's not my preference but I could certainly see it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You people are nucking futs.

Skinny fries actually get, you know, DONE. Without being burned to a crisp to accomplish the task. Which avoids that feeling that you just took a bit out of a raw potato.

Now don't get me wrong, a perfectly fried crinkle cut is a-ok too but those are tough to come by.

What's next, some lunatic tries to claim that the nastyass "skin attached" crap that destroyed my interest in eating at Wendy's doesn't taste like you're eating dirt? Madness, utter f'n madness.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #154
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
McDonalds are the top fast food fries in my book. One of the only things I like eating from there.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #155
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Gotta go with Bojangles again on the fries. They have the tastiest taters.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #156
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
McDonalds are the top fast food fries in my book. One of the only things I like eating from there.

Agreed. I also like their Classic Grilled Chicken Sandwich (gotta scrape most of the mayo off though) and Egg McMuffins. Their chocolate chip cookies are good too.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think a lot of stuff at Mickey D's is "meh" but the fries are top notch for that sort of fry when hot.

SI

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #158
gstelmack
Pro Starter

McDonald's USED to have good fries. They've really killed their menu over the last decade.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #159
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have never eaten at a "Steak and Shake."

I really don't eat much fast food. I only ever eat it on road trips and even then pretty infrequently. That said, I haven't had "Five Guys" in ages and there are a few around me. Next time I am left solo for dinner by Lady H_B, I know where I am going.

Speaking of chains, there is a small (two stores) local chain called "Burgrz" that has a location in my town. I like it a lot. Good selection of burgers and toppings, waffle fries and they even serve beer.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #160
Dutch
"Dutch"

McD's at lunch....Southern Chicken and Fries is perfect for a quick meal.
For breakfast, I'll snag a McGriddle like once every other month....those things are pretty yum.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

Those do work okay with chicken, just not something I'd want with a burger. That's like two entirely different animals (no pun intended)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #162
britrock88
Pro Starter

Thinking I'll hit up Five Guys tomorrow to try to quell the Cookout craving I'm responsible for starting here.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #163
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Those do work okay with chicken, just not something I'd want with a burger. That's like two entirely different animals (no pun intended)

BoJangles is just too peppery for me-not from the South, so they were a new thing to me when I moved down here.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #164
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have never eaten at a "Steak and Shake."

Note, their burgers are really thin so I would go for at least a double. They're very OK.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #165
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Note, their burgers are really thin so I would go for at least a double. They're very OK.
My thoughts, too. Love their shakes, tho

SI

Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

+1 on that ... both in the content sense and in the "a triple ain't really all that much food either" sense.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #167
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
the nastyass "skin attached" crap that destroyed my interest in eating at Wendy's doesn't taste like you're eating dirt? Madness, utter f'n madness.

Wendy's went from possibly the best fast food French fries to fries so bad that I can't work up the urge to return. And I think their burgers are GREAT.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #168
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
+1 on that ... both in the content sense and in the "a triple ain't really all that much food either" sense.

But... but they're made of steak.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
But... but they're made of steak.

You ever actually watch 'em cook those "steakburgers"?

Neat little patty goes onto the grill, heats up for a few seconds and then ..
BLAM ! Cook slaps the bejeezus out of the patty, flattens it thinner than a Congressman's resolve. You can almost see through them suckers by the time they slap hell out of 'em with the spatula.

More than once I've thought to myself "damn, I'd hate to be dating HER !"
Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #170
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hey Ben - Over a decade and I remembered this thread. Came out of retirement just to post, too. Shows how memorable CFA can be....

What's Cooking with Kevin Gillespie | Chick-fil-A

Now you can make your own Chick-fil-a "esque" chicken sandwich on Sunday.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #171
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
As someone who just moved down South, oh my god where have Bojangles breakfast biscuits been all my life? Perfect hangover food, and the fries go great with them. Coming back up North & trying to choke down a Dunkin' Donuts sandwich with "egg" in it afterwards? Shudder. I don't understand why no places up in Mass can make a good breakfast sandwich with eggs that seem like eggs. Or hushpuppies.

I will disagree a little on the Cookout love. The prices and variety are awesome, and if I was back in college and getting high I would have LOVED that place, but the actual food is only so-so (fwiw I'm also not a Char-Grilled person). The floats are good though.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #172
tarcone
Coordinator

Steak and Shake sucks. Worst food ever.

Im a big Rallys fan though. Good cheap food.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting to go back thru the thread & see what has changed locally in 3.5 years.

Our Cookout has gone seriously downhill. Once they lost the start-up crew (which had numerous NC-transplants, temp training crew I guess) & ended up with all locals behind the counter & in the kitchen, the quality & service have both declined steadily. It's still a semi-regular stop due to convenience/price/ variety but the quality is in the tank severely.

We've added a SECOND Cookout location, maybe halfway between me & downtown/UGA campus. It's honeymoon period was shorter than the first location here, though the quality has stayed above the first one's bottom-end, the service got spotty pretty quickly.

Our SnS? What a mess. The original franchisee sold it off (apparently that's a thing with him, goes through opening phase & then around 18months he ditches it, rinse/repeat). Tanked immediately, service was atrocious, nickle & dimed everything (like making you beg for napkins & such, tiny to-go cups UNLESS you knew to specifically ask for normal ones, etc). Crowds thinned quickly, though apparently it's since been sold AGAIN and has recovered somewhat, the heyday is gone & seems unlikely to come back.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #174
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Steak and Shake depends very much upon the franchisee. A well run one is a pretty solid experience, the shakes are pretty darn good.

On a related but separate note, there is a Taco Bell near the Dayton Mall off of 741 that is atrocious. My family have gone there on multiple weekends for lunch and have walked out due to 15-20 minute waits to order, with only one or two people in line ahead of us.

Last edited by Warhammer : 04-25-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #175
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Steak and Shake depends very much upon the franchisee. A well run one is a pretty solid experience, the shakes are pretty darn good.

On a related but separate note, there is a Taco Bell near the Dayton Mall off of 741 that is atrocious. My family have gone there on multiple weekends for lunch and have walked out due to 15-20 minute waits to order, with only one or two people in line ahead of us.

The Taco Bell on Brown St. would like to challenge your Dayton Mall TB for worst run store in the region
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:22 AM   #176
Butter
Coordinator

I went to the 741 Taco Bell once, and they have one of those drive thru lines where it is a single lane, so getting out of it was not possible. I was there 35 minutes.

All of the fast food restaurants right outside the gates of the Dayton Mall are pretty terrible. Smash Burger has an all stoner cast. Steak n Shake, the drive thru line is glacial (though perhaps a chain-wide problem). McDonald's, it is 50/50 on getting your order right. Wendy's is usually slow as molasses. Burger King, they often act like they are surprised people ordered food, though the drive thru was never crowded... which is probably why they shut down.

The Skyline Chili near the mall often closes early "just because". It is a running joke that it's a nice day, so the Skyline is probably closed "so we can spend time with our families".

Last edited by Butter : 04-26-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #177
Easy Mac

Never go to a Zaxby's drive thru. The one by us has 1 way out if the line is long enough, but once you're past that spot, you're there forever. I think I've waited almost an hour with maybe 4 cars ahead of me because I couldn't get out.

Also, I only go to Steak and Shake for the chili, and our Cookouts have always been atrocious.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #178
MrBug708
Head Coach

Other than a couple of McDonald's, I have never seen a drivethru with more than one lane.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Other than a couple of McDonald's, I have never seen a drivethru with more than one lane.

That made me start thinking about this .. Checkers here is a double, our first Cookout is a double (with about two feet to clear the dumpster), at least one of our McDs.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #180
Easy Mac

Every Chickfila here has 2 ordering lanes that merge into one after the board. Of course, they also have people outside taking orders before you get to the board, then pay when you round a corner, then pick up your food at the window. I assume they think its faster, but it still takes the same amount of time as everywhere else.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #181
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Every Chickfila here has 2 ordering lanes that merge into one after the board. Of course, they also have people outside taking orders before you get to the board, then pay when you round a corner, then pick up your food at the window. I assume they think its faster, but it still takes the same amount of time as everywhere else.

I've always figured that was really about prep time for them (starting the orders faster). I think it's more about "keeps us from being slower than everybody else" than about being "faster than everybody else".
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #182
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The McDonald's near me does that too. An added feature of this format, at least for them, is they have to verbally confirm with me at the first window, where you pay, which order I made - since the cars don't necessarily take turns merging. And they're incorrect about 25% of the time.

Last edited by molson : 04-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #183
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

The Chick-Fil-A here started having someone take the order and possibly pay before the board about 6 months ago. I thought it was just this location. Didn't realize that was not only a company-wide thing, but maybe an industry-wide change. Interesting.

They also made a pseudo-2 lane ordering setup that kinda works. They usually get the orders right at the window because the people taking orders communicate and they send the cars into the single lane in order.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #184
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The drive to Sonic is 90% of the quality.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #185
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That made me start thinking about this .. Checkers here is a double, our first Cookout is a double (with about two feet to clear the dumpster), at least one of our McDs.

Rally's is Checkers, right? I love that place and wish there was one closer. I can get their fries in the frozen foods section but it's not the same.

Also I would go to the Chick Fil-a if the line wasn't so unreasonable. Good food, but it always looks like the line for space mountain.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #186
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Maybe it's intentionally redundant & maze-like...I once read an article about an airport architect who said they reduced complaints by lengthening the distance between gates and adding checkpoints, because someone who got to their gate quickly & spent 20 minutes waiting was more likely to complain than someone who spent 20 minutes getting to the gate but seemingly boarded their plane with less time waiting and staring at the wall.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #187
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I have one question.. What in the hell are Burger King's "nuggets" made of? 10 for 1.49 is an impossible price to meet for actual chicken. I feel like they will be the first place to start serving faux food without even trying to hide it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #188
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

A Chick-Fil-A opened near my office recently (they're a very recent import to the Seattle area) and after waiting a month or so for the lines to ease up from "insane" to merely "long" finally tried them out today.

Definitely a very good chicken sandwich, better than any other chain. Not so earth-shattering I'm going to make this a regular thing, but I can certainly see the appeal.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #189
Logan
Head Coach

I found their waffle fries to be very overrated.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #190
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's amusing to me as I find their waffle fries to be amazing and their chicken sandwiches to be very overrated...
Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #191
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's amusing to me as I find their waffle fries to be amazing and their chicken sandwiches to be very overrated...

I always liked their Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich, but the fried chicken sandwich never appealed to me at all. I agree about the fries too, no matter what I ordered, the fries were the best part of the meal.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #192
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I've heard enough people swear by them that I'm willing to chalk it up to bad luck in what I've received...think I've only actually eaten them from 3 or 4 locations across 3 states that I can think of.

And I love waffle fries, broadly speaking.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #193
rjolley
College Starter

The waffle fries can be underwhelming at times, but generally, they are fresh, hot, and salted well. Might've been a case of a bad/old batch.

The spicy chicken sandwich is better than the plan for me. And since I've been reducing carbs, the chicken strips are great for a fast food place.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #194
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Everything at CFA is overrated. Just horrible food even by fast food standards.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uhh... what? That's a ridiculous statement.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #196
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, gonna have to disagree there. Better chicken sandwich than any other national fast food chain.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #197
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd say it's ridiculous even though I vastly prefer the Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich to Chick-Fil-A's any day.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #198
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

The Chik-Fil-A by me is top flight, they've actually got cones they put out during fast times to basically add a loop of traffic to the drive thru line. They have the order takers get you by the front of the building, a guy takes a little stand with a register out by the drive thru order screen, and you end up getting your food in like 6 minutes, even if there were 20 cars in front of you.

Last edited by Simbo Klice : 09-14-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #199
cuervo72
Head Coach

We got CFA last night and they did the cone thing because their dining room was closed for renovation. It took longer than six minutes, and the fries were a little inconsistent (some crispy, some floppy). I didn't truly believe it was the girl who took our order's pleasure to serve us, either. Was uncharacteristic for them.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have had the waffle fries a couple times and have come away disappointed both times.

I don't know if maybe I am just comparing them to Carl's crisscut fries, which are excellent.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote