Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #7651
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
IMO The Running Man is the greatest movie based off of a Stephen King novel.

Shawshank
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #7652
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Technically Shawshank was a short story, but yeah. The Dead Zone was pretty damn good too. Most movie adaptations of his writings aren't that good. I think many people would give Stand By Me a big thumbs up too.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #7653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Technically Shawshank was a short story, but yeah. The Dead Zone was pretty damn good too. Most movie adaptations of his writings aren't that good. I think many people would give Stand By Me a big thumbs up too.

Shawshank was 128 pages. The body was 192.

I wish HBO would do a Game of Thrones type series of Eyes of the Dragon. I think that would be amazing
Old 04-03-2023, 06:34 PM   #7654
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Shawshank

Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 PM   #7655
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
be sure to look up the freaks and geeks reunion ad for it that has the 3 geeks playing a game of D&D.

finally found it on youtube

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:07 PM   #7656
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I couldn't bare a Dragonlance movie. I think I'm the only one that thinks it's just overmelodramatic fanfiction crap.

Forgotten Realms even worse.

Ravenloft hell yeah! Strahd all the way. Throw in a mind flayer and a rakshasa and you've got yourself a series.

Also a greyhawk series would be rad.

+1 to whoever sais Planescape. omg yeah

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-04-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #7657
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post

+1 for Lawnmower man #jefffaheyisanunderratedgod
Old 04-04-2023, 09:12 PM   #7658
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have been playing D&D for probably close to 40 years solid, I think I got a red box in Christmas of 1983. All of which is to say: I have never played even a second within any of the 'official' settings, for better or worse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:04 PM   #7659
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Shawshank was 128 pages. The body was 192.
You got me. Novellas then.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:40 PM   #7660
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a good sign when I watch the new Indiana Jones trailer on YT and come away unimpressed. I'm thinking Indy's time has passed. But probably just me.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:56 PM   #7661
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I thought Indy's time passed after the first one.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:02 PM   #7662
Edward64
Head Coach

#1 is definitely the best. I thought #2 was okay.

But yeah, #3 & #4 sucked big time.

On a personal note, it was my mom that really wanted to watch #1, we were in San Francisco. Fond memories there.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:10 PM   #7663
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I personally enjoyed The Last Crusade the most followed by Raiders. Temple of Doom certainly has its moments (ie the bridge scene and that scene with Dan Akroyd) but is overall uneven. I need to watch the Indy 4 again to get a better opinion.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-08-2023 at 10:11 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:58 PM   #7664
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Dan Akroyd was in Temple of Doom? what? who was he? one of the centipedes?
Old 04-08-2023, 10:59 PM   #7665
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Dan Akroyd was in Temple of Doom? what? who was he? one of the centipedes?

Old 04-09-2023, 08:21 AM   #7666
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I love the first Indy movie so much as a kid. There was a TTRPG made for Indy that me and friend played. It was a great setting for it. Loads of fun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #7667
Kodos
Resident Alien

Raiders and Last Crusade were great, Temple of Doom was okay, Crystal Skull sucked. Really looking forward to 5.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #7668
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm with Kodos, except I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to #5 or not.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #7669
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I FINALLY watched Cabin in the Woods. Really fun and original although I really really wished they had picked another object to give some other monster

Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins steal the movie as does the surprise cameo at the end.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #7670
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Mario Brothers Movie

Mar10/10

Ok, maybe not that high. but it was a fun movie to watch. It definitely was made for kids. It had quicker pacing than I would've liked but on the other hand it didn't overstay its welcome, as I find movie tend to do these days.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-15-2023 at 05:27 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #7671
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watched The Menu 8.5/10. It was just an enjoyable film. Listed as horror but it played more like a dark comedy. It hit every note of the pretentious foodie culture that exists in America. Like, yes it's impressive, but I just want to eat.

Hell, on our vacation I ordered a main course that ended up being a 2 ounce duck breast with 3 thin slices of a Lyonnaise potato, 2 thick green beans and a drizzle of some sort of sauce. If it wasn't all-inclusive it probably would have been $100. So what did I do? I ate it then went to the buffet and gorged on chicken wings and pork.

Oh, and I watch The Core from like 2002. 2/10. It was a terrible movie with terrible CGI. Aaron Eckhart and Delroy Lindo acted the shit out of that movie tho. It does make me wish they would remake terrible disaster movies every 20 years or so with the latest technical innovations. Same script, new actors, new effects. It's a shame such terrible movies sometimes get wasted with effects that are still beneath them.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:04 PM   #7672
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Took the kids to see Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Fantastic. The girl that played Margaret was phenomenal. McAdams and Bates were also amazing. Wife and 10 year old daughter really liked it. 13 year old son hated it.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #7673
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Watched The Menu 8.5/10. It was just an enjoyable film. Listed as horror but it played more like a dark comedy. It hit every note of the pretentious foodie culture that exists in America. Like, yes it's impressive, but I just want to eat.

Hell, on our vacation I ordered a main course that ended up being a 2 ounce duck breast with 3 thin slices of a Lyonnaise potato, 2 thick green beans and a drizzle of some sort of sauce. If it wasn't all-inclusive it probably would have been $100. So what did I do? I ate it then went to the buffet and gorged on chicken wings and pork.

Oh man I am completely the on the other end of the spectrum on The Menu. I wish I could get the time back that I spent watching that one. I liked the acting but the story was rough in my mind. Maybe I just expected too much based on the hype. Who knows.

The Core I do agree with you on for sure.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:12 AM   #7674
Edward64
Head Coach

The Purge: Anarchy - 7.5/10

Re-watched it and the first is the best of the series. Frank Grillo starred in the movie vs his typical supporting/ensemble role and he was pretty good (seriously).

Coincidently, movie was based in 2023.

Maybe we need to setup a nice island (is Alcatraz big enough?) where there is a semi/annual, no holds barred Purge-like event. Let all the crazies shoot each other up. Not sure what to do with the winner though.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #7675
Edward64
Head Coach

Cocaine Bear - 6/10

I love the special effects for the bear & cubs. The other campy (?) special effects were okay. I thought the acting was decent also.

But the plot & dialog were lacking, just seem to drag for me.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:58 AM   #7676
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I don't really want to give Guardians of the Galaxy 3 a number. It was fine, probably the best of the post-Endgame Marvel movies. Probably the most terrifying Marvel movie... more the semi-body horror visuals. Solid emotional beats for the CGI raccoon.

It really felt like Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana were only there because their contracts said they had to be. Seriously, Chris Pratt's acting was unbelievably bad. I didn't buy anything he said about his friendship with the squirrel.

Interested to see how James Gunn tries to wrap the new DC Universe around his brother as Superman. The new whistle guy-space dog side plot was dumb even for a dumb Marvel movie.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:26 PM   #7677
molson
General Manager

Sisu was a lot of fun - its basically a gory horror/revenge movie where the Nazis are the victims, and the protagonist is a elderly gold prospector who is also a legendary Finnish one-man death squad.

I wish I saw it with everybody who saw it as the Regal Monday Mystery Movie - knowing nothing going in, and with a big crowd. That was NOT what they were expecting and I hear the crowds went wild. It was a little less exciting having seen the trailer, which includes a lot of best stuff.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:34 AM   #7678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm an unlikely entrant in this thread since I literally couldn't tell you the last movie I watched ... but the offspring is home & it gets random a.f. down here sometimes.

So I've now seen Bullet Train, which (for what it is) I'd give a nice neat 8/10.

Cross Tarantino with Deadpool and you get a movie that moves right along.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:13 AM   #7679
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty decent movie. I had to watch it twice to get a better understanding of wtf was going on. Good description of Tarantino and Deadpool. Also enjoyed the music
Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 PM   #7680
Edward64
Head Coach

65 - 6.5/10

Sci-fi movie with Adam Driver & dinosaurs. Good special effects, nice dinos. Although interesting, the plot was pretty weak. Driver's acting was okay, not his best. The girl actress was pretty decent. I kinda put it on par with Will Smith's After Earth.

Overall an entertaining movie but good for one watch, not one I'll rewatch anytime soon.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:03 PM   #7681
Edward64
Head Coach

D&D - 7.5/10

Not as good as I had hoped but good enough, clearly superior to all the other D&D movies that's come out. Lots to love for a D&D genre fan.

I love the sometimes irreverent back-and-forth; true to life oopsies (guy on the bridge); love the little touches like the treasure chests in the maze; the paladin guy and the lawful good persona; barbarian woman; red wizard etc. Also, the back and forth conversations to figure out something like the mirror

Could've been better ...
  • WTF on the fat dragon? Don't remember that in any of my gaming days. The other dragon helped but the fat one was very distracting to me
  • Better with more Orcs. And Goblins were missing
  • Never had a Paladin that made killing multiple enemies look so easy
  • Chris Pine should have picked some locks

Overall, a fun & entertaining movie. Will add to my 4k collection during BF, want to see the specials.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-23-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:17 PM   #7682
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
[list][*]WTF on the fat dragon? Don't remember that in any of my gaming days. The other dragon helped but the fat one was very distracting to me

The fat dragon is actual Forgotten Realms canon.

https://www.polygon.com/23665260/dnd...s-themberchaud

Last edited by Atocep : 05-23-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:57 AM   #7683
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks for the link. His in-depth analysis on the fat dragon canon is only something a D&D nerd would do.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #7684
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm an unlikely entrant in this thread since I literally couldn't tell you the last movie I watched ... but the offspring is home & it gets random a.f. down here sometimes.

So I've now seen Bullet Train, which (for what it is) I'd give a nice neat 8/10.

Cross Tarantino with Deadpool and you get a movie that moves right along.

I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Went in expecting nothing but style and while that's what it was, it was really well done style. Also made me want to see more from Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Lemon... or was he Tangerine?)

Also, D&D was fun and dumb. I have no history with D&D but it's enjoyable as a midevil wizardry movie.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:13 PM   #7685
Edward64
Head Coach

Three Thousand Years of Longing - 8/10

A slow paced but beautiful story, well acted.

Not a typical movie I'd enjoy (action, sci-fi & fantasy, zombies) but this one caught me by surprise. Loved it.

Makes me wonder the 3 wishes I would ask for.

I know the first one would be somehow have or be able to make alot of money (which will provide me opportunities to realize my many other "wishes" outside of the 2 remaining ones). Yes, money can buy happiness for me and others. But other than for the first wish, I'd have to put a lot more thought into it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-25-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:21 AM   #7686
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Went in expecting nothing but style and while that's what it was, it was really well done style. Also made me want to see more from Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Lemon... or was he Tangerine?)

Also, D&D was fun and dumb. I have no history with D&D but it's enjoyable as a midevil wizardry movie.

Yeah, a Tangerine and Lemon prequel movie would be nice.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:40 PM   #7687
QuikSand
lolzcat

Feeling very ill today, finally sat still long enough to watch RRR.

It’s a three hour action epic taking place in 1920s India, done Baliwood style. Okay, most of you took an off-ramp there. For those who haven’t yet… oh wow was this movie fun.

9/10
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:50 PM   #7688
Atocep
Coordinator

Missing - 8/10 - A netflix thriller that was surprisingly good with an interesting concept. A girl's mom goes missing while on vacation with her boyfriend and the girl uses social media and tech to help figure out what happened.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #7689
Edward64
Head Coach

Violent Night - 7/10

Not great, not bad. Had some pretty good scenes but others dragged on. Liked the homage to Home Alone (wished there were more traps).

Worth the look if you like some violence in your Christmas movies.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #7690
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Feeling very ill today, finally sat still long enough to watch RRR.

It’s a three hour action epic taking place in 1920s India, done Baliwood style. Okay, most of you took an off-ramp there. For those who haven’t yet… oh wow was this movie fun.

9/10

OK, I just watched that trailer and that's the most fun trailer since Mad Max Fury Road.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:06 PM   #7691
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I gave RRR a shot a few months ago and just can’t swing it. The song was kinda cool though.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #7692
Edward64
Head Coach

The Land - 7.5/10

After death of husband and child, a woman moves off-grid to Wyoming to grieve. Meets up with a local that helps her become independent.

Not as detailed as I would have like but still a nice slow paced, tear jerker movie. Worth a watch.

Stars Robin Wright, didn't really know who she was ... Jenny in Forrest Gump, Amazon warrior in Wonder Woman, Clare Underwood in House of Cards, and Mrs. Sean Penn.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:42 PM   #7693
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I saw Across The Spiderverse Yesterday

The movie itself was alright. There was certainly some style and some creative ideas but..
Spoiler
Old 06-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #7694
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Land - 7.5/10

Stars Robin Wright, didn't really know who she was ... Jenny in Forrest Gump, Amazon warrior in Wonder Woman, Clare Underwood in House of Cards, and Mrs. Sean Penn.

Princess Buttercup baby!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #7695
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Princess Buttercup baby!

Seriously! THIS!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:58 PM   #7696
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Seriously! THIS!

Yeah, I'm quite disappointed in our dear Edward64 on this one.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #7697
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I saw Across The Spiderverse Yesterday

The movie itself was alright. There was certainly some style and some creative ideas but..
Spoiler

9.5/10 - I don't usually like long movies but this one had me enthralled from the jump. I had no idea how much time had passed and could have sat there for another 2 hours no problem.

I'm with you on the spoiler'd part,
Spoiler
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #7698
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry folks.

Never saw Princess Bride. I've caught bits and piece through flipping channels (e.g. Andre the Giant) but wasn't compelled to watch it all.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #7699
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Filth! Slime!! Putrescence!!!

Do it. Do it today. It's one of the classics.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-05-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #7700
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry folks.

Never saw Princess Bride.

Inconceivable!