Old 05-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #251
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Top-drawer stuff, SirFozzie!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:20 PM   #252
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah I can't say that I had the Heat in the ECF again this year. Julius Randle and RJ Barrett....woof.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:54 PM   #253
JPhillips
General Manager

Other than Brunson, the whole team was awful shooting the ball.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #254
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ja Moron-t.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:12 AM   #255
JPhillips
General Manager

I still don't understand how this is a problem when open carry is a thing all over the country.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:06 PM   #256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ja Moron-t.

Yeah. This poor bastard couldn't get a clue if he bought all the vowels.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:29 PM   #257
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I still don't understand how this is a problem when open carry is a thing all over the country.

I was wondering the same thing. Where's the NRA when you need them?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Umm, I left our Mother's Day meal at halftime of the Celtics vs Sixers game.

Wha' happened?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-14-2023, 05:03 PM   #259
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
After tonight I don't think you can give Tatum the max deal. Maybe they win despite him but pretty bad performance in a must win.

Freezing Cold Takes

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:20 PM   #260
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Wait a minute. 🤔

I mean that does seem to be a pretty popular and successful defense strategy nowadays.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:25 PM   #261
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So tempted to go running amok in the Celtics reddit forum, everyone who said Tatum was "mentally weak" and "garbage", even after his key stretch in Game 6, and then well.. all of game 7, would be getting a receipt.

I will stand by my comparison of Embiid to Wilt Chamberlain. MVP calibre year in and year out. Someone that if you don't have top players playing out of their mind on defense, he will put up big numbers against you. And categorically unable to beat the Boston Celtics in the playoffs.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:27 PM   #262
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So tempted to go running amok in the Celtics reddit forum, everyone who said Tatum was "mentally weak" and "garbage", even after his key stretch in Game 6, and then well.. all of game 7, would be getting a receipt.

I will stand by my comparison of Embiid to Wilt Chamberlain. MVP calibre year in and year out. Someone that if you don't have top players playing out of their mind on defense, he will put up big numbers against you. And categorically unable to beat the Boston Celtics in the playoffs.

Tatum really brought it today. He was everywhere. He played great defense, rebounded passed, got the crowd going etc. This series by the end makes me think JB and JT have figured who is #1 and who is #2. I feel a little bad for Doc and Joel Embid. They are good guys and don’t deserve selfish guys like Harden.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-14-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:27 PM   #263
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
He really brought. He was everywhere. He played great defense, rebounds , passes, getting the crowd going etc. This series by the end makes me think JB and JT have figured who is #1 and who is #2. I feel. Ad for Doc and Joel Embid. They are good guys and don’t deserve selfish guys like Harden.

Harden was one of the reasons they GOT to game 7, he basically won two for them
Old 05-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #264
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Harden was one of the reasons they GOT to game 7, he basically won two for them

He also lost them the other 4 games. He is trash.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #265
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I mean, if they're fine for Christmas cards and political ads, they're fine for social media posts, right? Unless there's some other objection. But I can't imagine what it could be.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:36 PM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fair or unfair this one falls on Embiid for me. I lean slightly to it being fair. Especially given all the MVP talk from this year. He is not the only player to promote himself for MVP and he deserved to get it this year IMO. But if you are going to be that guy, you can't be the dude going 5-for-18 in game 7. You can't be the guy who once again seems to fade late in big playoff games. I know he was hurt but well that is a problem as well. Embiid with 8 for 19 in the 4th quarter and overtime in this series. 6 games, 8 made on 19 shots. While I am inclined to give the big man the benefit of the doubt because the little guys have to give him the ball, Embiid fancies himself to be an threat at the three point line as well. Today was even worse. In the decisive 3rd quarter, Embiid took four shots. Two three point misses and two twelve footer that Al Horford blocked. Harden is clearly diminished from his MVP years and Maxey was not ready to make the step up. However, Embiid still has not shown he has enough to carry his team in the playoffs in the way we have seen from others do.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:57 PM   #267
molson
General Manager

And that's not even mentioning his defense. He was the weak spot exploited by the Celtics with Tatum.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:45 PM   #268
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Morant will get half a season. All these owners ditching coaches who won them titles, isn't surprising but also funny. 76ers seemed a bit doomed. Nothing seems to work, but also why did they hire Doc Rivers?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #269
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
76ers seemed a bit doomed. Nothing seems to work, but also why did they hire Doc Rivers?

Because they realized that picking Brett Brown and Tobias Harris over no Brett Brown and Jimmy Butler was a dumb move.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:13 PM   #270
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wait a minute. 🤔

I mean that does seem to be a pretty popular and successful defense strategy nowadays.

Your Honor, we offer exhibit X into evidence at this time.

Will Cain: ‘Does Ja Morant not have 2A rights?’

Quote:
“Explain to me something,” Cain said on Twitter. “Does Ja Morant not have 2A rights? Can he not do what he wants outside of his work environment if it’s still legal? It may be stupid, but I don’t know what he’s done to be suspended.”

Cain said his disagreeing with the suspension was not an endorsement of Morant’s lack of responsibility, but added, “Employment has become too big of a mechanism for behavior control.”
Old 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree somewhat with Cain. Assuming the firearm was legally owned whats the issue here other than one of perception.

IMO the league shouldn't be able to suspend him. Memphis suspending him is a little trickier. Obviously that isn't what they want as the face of their franchise, and maybe there is a personal conduct policy, but I am sure the players association would get involved if they suspend him for a perfectly legal, all be it, stupid actively.

Would Joey Bosa be suspended if he put himself on instagram target shooting? I doubt it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:50 PM   #272
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I agree somewhat with Cain. Assuming the firearm was legally owned whats the issue here other than one of perception.

IMO the league shouldn't be able to suspend him. Memphis suspending him is a little trickier. Obviously that isn't what they want as the face of their franchise, and maybe there is a personal conduct policy, but I am sure the players association would get involved if they suspend him for a perfectly legal, all be it, stupid actively.

Would Joey Bosa be suspended if he put himself on instagram target shooting? I doubt it.

I just listened to a podcast that described the issue better than me typing out a long post.

Ja Morant is driving around in the passenger seat of a vehicle. He is waving a gun during the drive. They pull up to a traffic light. A police car or quite honestly anyone driving around Memphis with a gun in the car pulls up next to the car while Ja is waving a gun around. Choose your own adventure for the end of that story. How many of those end well for Ja?

I hear your example about Bosa. I am 99% sure that someone in Ja's life has told him he can't do what his little friends can do for reason that are obvious to see.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #273
JPhillips
General Manager

The Memphis PD describes TN law as:

Quote:
On July 1, 2021, Tennessee law will permit a large majority of citizens to carry a loaded handgun on their person, openly or concealed, without having to possess a permit. This new law does NOT affect the carrying of rifles or shotguns, ONLY handguns.

Again, what did Morant do wrong? This is the current gun culture.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:47 PM   #274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am 99% sure that someone in Ja's life has told him he can't do what his little friends can do for reason that are obvious to see.

And I'm 99.9% sure Morant is too fucking stupid to embrace that concept.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Portland is going to win the lottery tonight.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:41 PM   #276
miami_fan
Coordinator

As expected. the Sixers fired Doc. They are going to bring in D'Antoni, aren't they?
Old 05-16-2023, 05:43 PM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The term "once in a generation" is used way too much. They were saying the same about Zion a couple years ago.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:26 PM   #278
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Booking on the league is way too predictable
Old 05-16-2023, 07:32 PM   #279
bob
College Starter

So so tough being a Detroit sports fan
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #280
JPhillips
General Manager

Spurs winning the lottery sure smells rigged.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #281
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Spurs winning the lottery sure smells rigged.

I approve. I don't want to just allow that sort of talent to go to any ole team. Only the Spurs and the Lakers know how to win championships with their overall #1 picks.* They got their guys to the HOF to boot. Now we just gotta make sure Pop and RC Buford hang out through his first contract to help him build his foundation. In Pop I Trust.

*Yes, the Cavs won with Lebron and Kyrie but then they did that whole Anthony Bennett/ Andrew Wiggins back to back. The lose the benefit of the doubt after that.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #282
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-17-2023, 11:40 AM   #283
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So so tough being a Detroit sports fan

It's true
Old 05-17-2023, 09:38 PM   #284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kyle Lowry is just straight pain to watch.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:10 PM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Denver really does some dumb shit with clock management.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:34 PM   #286
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

There's a difference between what's ok to do as an average person and what's going to cause problems for you when huge amounts of money rest on you representing a business with a specific image. It's the same as whole 'free speech doesn't mean you can't get fired for speech which embarasses your employer' thing.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:45 PM   #287
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There's a difference between what's ok to do as an average person and what's going to cause problems for you when huge amounts of money rest on you representing a business with a specific image. It's the same as whole 'free speech doesn't mean you can't get fired for speech which embarasses your employer' thing.

I can't imagine GOP judges would be okay with a rule that says you can't be seen with a gun in your off hours.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:34 PM   #288
miami_fan
Coordinator

I appreciate the Heat being up 2-0 with both wins coming on the road and I really do hope they win the series. However Joe Mazzulla's in game management is offensive to me. Even if I was not a fan of the Heat, I would be rooting for them to get this guy out of the playoffs. He may be a good head coach at some point but that is not right now.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:38 AM   #289
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wondering how much Adam Silver gets in the refs ears the next 2 weeks. Denver-Miami has to be a ratings nightmare for the NBA.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #290
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Wondering how much Adam Silver gets in the refs ears the next 2 weeks. Denver-Miami has to be a ratings nightmare for the NBA.

Lakers are already getting to the line. Probably be time better spent if he told Lebron to stop shooting 3's.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:51 AM   #291
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jimmy Butler has to rate pretty high on the all-time free agent signing pyramid. I think LeBron has the top 3 spots on that list. Shaq in LA. Don’t know if Durant counts really since they’d win a title. Ben Wallace in DET maybe.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #292
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can't imagine GOP judges would be okay with a rule that says you can't be seen with a gun in your off hours.

I'm sure they wouldn't, but it also really seems to me like you're missing the point. This isn't about what's legal.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-21-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:55 PM   #293
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The refs need to get control of this game. They’re pretty bad.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:04 PM   #294
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Celts are going to fire this coach before game 4?
Old 05-21-2023, 09:09 PM   #295
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm sure they wouldn't, but it also really seems to me like you're missing the point. This isn't about what's legal.

But it is given the current state of U.S. gun laws. I am absolutely sure SCOTUS would not let any business take away gun rights after working hours and not on company property.

I mean we live in a world where the TN GOP members send out Christmas cards with their families adorned with military-grade weaponry. I still think this is an opportunity for the NRA, but for some reason (wink wink) hey won't get involved.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:59 PM   #296
bronconick
College Starter

Eh, SCOTUS likes ruling in favor of corporations more than in favor of guns.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:16 AM   #297
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips
But it is given the current state of U.S. gun laws. I am absolutely sure SCOTUS would not let any business take away gun rights after working hours and not on company property.

Nothing SCOTUS has ruled that I'm aware of comes even remotely close to this claim. The current state of gun laws is irrelevant. At this point I don't understand what point you are trying to make. By definition a business can't take away gun rights, or grant them, or do anything else to them. All manner of people are fired, fined, and have many other things consequences from their employers as a result of their behavior. If people can be 'deplatformed' as a result of them spreading opinions we don't like - and they can be and are - and many other similar consequences, then I see no reason to see the Morant situation as anything other than that.

Quote:
I mean we live in a world where the TN GOP members send out Christmas cards with their families adorned with military-grade weaponry.

And ... ? Those politicians are only answerable to their constituents. They aren't answerable to a large corporation that can fine/suspend/etc. and which needs to protect it's image with the general public, advertisers, and so on. It's not a remotely comparable situation.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-22-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:17 AM   #298
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When the conference finals started, I thought to myself that there was no way in heck the NBA was going to miss out on a Lakers-Celtics finals featuring LeBron.

We are two games away from what may be the most shocking NBA conspiracy theory in my lifetime – that the games are actually fairly officiated and not controlled by the front office.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #299
Ksyrup

The league can't raise LeBron's 8.3% 3 point shooting in the 4th quarter by itself.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-22-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:19 PM   #300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Exceptional defense by Murray there at the end.