Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2023, 04:04 PM   #251
Swaggs
Coordinator

I hate it for the fan base, but I love following league expansion-type news. With Las Vegas out of the picture, it sounds like there is a pretty decent appetite for MLB expansion, although it is possible that the Rays may also be looking to move and the league needs the candidate cities available to try to leverage one another (and presumably Tampa/St. Pete).

There are exploratory groups formed in Nashville (called Music City Baseball that is headed by Dave Stewart, with Tony Larussa, Don Mattingly, Eddie George, and former AG Alberto Gonzalez involved), Portland (the Portland Diamond Project with a former Nike exec heading it and Russell Wilson and Ciara involved), Salt Lake City (Big League Utah with former Utah Jazz co-owner Gail Miller providing backing and Dale Murphy involved), Charlotte (not much info on organization, but they are seen as a favorite among markets), and Montreal (the Montreal Baseball Group headed by the son of former Expos' owner, an Ernst and Young exec, and has former Expo Warren Cromartie).

Nashville seems like the most likely to get a team from what I read and then probably Portland, although Manfried apparently really likes the idea of a team in Charlotte. Also some talk of going to four divisions of 4 teams once they get up to 32.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:13 PM   #252
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Having lived in the suburbs of portland for 3 years I think it is a terrible destination for a team.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:33 PM   #253
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Manfred has consistently said they were going to sort out Oakland and St. Pete before trying to expand. Why take away bidders when you can have existing teams extort cities for free and then have the "losers" from that bid against each other? EVEN MOAR MONEY!

Tampa seems to be on the road to sorting out their stadium situation so, unless something new and weird pops up (for instance, KC is going to come asking for a downtown stadium any time now, which is less than idea with another potential 100-loss team but I suspect whatever will pass). Then MLB will add 2 teams and probably will be stable at 32 for quite a while.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2023 at 04:33 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:11 PM   #254
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m about 2 more weeks away from believing in this Pirates team.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #255
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Drew Smyly has a perfect game going through 6, as the Cubs are blowing out the Dodgers.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #256
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Drew Smyly has a perfect game going through 6, as the Cubs are blowing out the Dodgers.

Boooooo

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #257
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Boooooo

What a way to lose it. Yan Gomes has to feel absolutely awful.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #258
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't see the other angles but would Smyly have gotten Peralta at first?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:22 PM   #259
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I still hate Marwin Gonzalez for breaking up Yu Darvish's perfect game with two outs in the 9th. That would have been a ticket stub that I framed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #260
miami_fan
Coordinator

This probably should go in the Sports Media thread but this feels much more like a baseball story than a media one.

Jeff Dooley called to majors after 25 years for weekend series

25 years calling minor league baseball and finally getting the call up to call a couple of games for the big league club.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #261
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

From the angle I saw he was going to safe fairly easily anyway.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:04 PM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Rangers city connect is straight trashcan juice. Other than the Peagle thing.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #263
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Rangers city connect is straight trashcan juice. Other than the Peagle thing.

I hate the pants. The cream color jerseys are super popular in travel ball and with kids right now.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:19 PM   #264
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

From what I could tell, it was dicey at best. Woulda needed an absolutely perfect throw to even have a chance.

Post game interview was awesome though. Team gave Gomes a football helmet to wear for his interview.
Old 04-22-2023, 08:22 PM   #265
JPhillips
General Manager

Another year and the Reds are out of it before April is over.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:39 PM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Another year and the Reds are out of it before April is over.

Yeah, that's a talent-deficient group right now.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Having lived in the suburbs of portland for 3 years I think it is a terrible destination for a team.

Yeah, that won't ever happen because the traffic would be awful. Nobody is taking the MAX to Beaverton to watch baseball. It'd be downtown, at the waterfront or possibly by the Rose Garden. Nowhere else (though SE Portland further out would be good for different reasons.)

But it'd take a visionary to get the local forces in place to make it ever work again, nothing like when the Expos were moving and it was way more possible than now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #268
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, I guess I should know this, but why, really, have the As always been so broke? Is it mainly because the stadium is crap and they can't make money off of it?

I ask because it seems like at least since 2000 owning a NFL, NBA, MLB, and even NHL franchise is basically a license to print money.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #269
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, I guess I should know this, but why, really, have the As always been so broke? Is it mainly because the stadium is crap and they can't make money off of it?

I ask because it seems like at least since 2000 owning a NFL, NBA, MLB, and even NHL franchise is basically a license to print money.

A combination of the cheapest of the billionaire owners in MLB and a bad stadium in a not so great neighborhood.

Fisher has an ultimatum to get a new stadium locked in somewhere by 2024 or MLB will stop revenue sharing with them. So the speculation I've seen is he's trying to get multiple options going (one in Oakland and one in Vegas) so that he can sell now that MLB is pressuring him to actually start spending money on the franchise.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:36 PM   #270
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Friends dont let friends bet on the A's.

Stay safe out there folks.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:08 AM   #271
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Pirates have signed Bryan Reynolds to an 8-year/$106.75M extension. That is the first time they have signed someone to a deal worth over $100M.

There are still three franchises that have never signed a free agent or signed an extension worth over $100M. Two of them are not surprising, but one was kind of surprising. Any guesses (without looking)?
Old 04-26-2023, 07:18 AM   #272
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Royals haven't. I'm pretty sure Alex Gordon's 4/$72M is the largest they've ever handed out

SI

Old 04-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #273
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The Pirates have signed Bryan Reynolds to an 8-year/$106.75M extension. That is the first time they have signed someone to a deal worth over $100M.

There are still three franchises that have never signed a free agent or signed an extension worth over $100M. Two of them are not surprising, but one was kind of surprising. Any guesses (without looking)?

Mariners?
Royals?
Tampa Bay?
Old 04-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Oakland?
Old 04-26-2023, 09:07 AM   #275
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

double dola- Mariners may have given Felix 100mil. Gun to my head I say Oakland, Tampa, anf KC, but no surprises in there. Dod KC give Hosmer 100 mil?
Old 04-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #276
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tampa gave Franco something like 200M.

I saw this list and the one team is shocking (like swags said)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #277
Swaggs
Coordinator

Royals and A's have not.

The surprising one is the White Sox.

Pirates previous was Jason Kendall at 6/$60M in 2000.

Quote:
Royals
FA contract: Alex Gordon, OF (4/$72M, 2016)
Extension: Salvador Perez (4/$82M, 2021)

Athletics
FA contract: Billy Butler, 1B/DH (3/$30M, 2015)
Extension: Eric Chavez, 3B (6/$66M, 2004)

White Sox
FA contract: Andrew Benintendi, OF (5/$75M, 2022)
Extension: Yoán Moncada, 3B (5/$70M, 2020)

Source: https://www.mlb.com/news/every-team-s-largest-contracts
Old 04-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #278
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ah. I forgot about Cano.

It is amazing how the majority of these haven't worked out.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #279
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
double dola- Mariners may have given Felix 100mil. Gun to my head I say Oakland, Tampa, anf KC, but no surprises in there. Dod KC give Hosmer 100 mil?

I think KC considered giving Hosmer over $100M but San Diego thankfully saved them from themselves

SI

Old 04-26-2023, 02:22 PM   #280
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
ah. I forgot about Cano.

It is amazing how the majority of these haven't worked out.

For real. Looking over the list, it has dialed back my excitement for Reynolds signing for 8-years at age 28, although he is surprisingly athletic. Hopefully, he can stay healthy.

The Chris Davis and Miguel Cabrera ones still blow my mind. Those two have generated quite a few pre-built challenges during my OOTP careers.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:37 PM   #281
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think KC considered giving Hosmer over $100M but San Diego thankfully saved them from themselves

SI

If you ever, ever feel bad about the Royals decision-making in player personnel, all you have to do is look at the WAR vs salaries for the mid-2010s guys that left for other teams in free agency. Between Billy Butler (12.5 WAR with the Royals in 8 years and then -0.6 in his last 3 with the A's and Yankees) , Hosmer (15.4 in first 7 years with the Royals and 3.9 in next 7), Moustakas (11.5 in first 8 years vs 1.2 in the next 6), and Lorenzo Cain (respectable, but 24.7 with the Royals in first 7 and then 13.9 the last 6 and made a ton higher salary). That was a really good young core, but they moved on from those guys at just the right time. Probably should have kept Cain over Gordon in hindsight, thought.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:19 PM   #282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If you ever, ever feel bad about the Royals decision-making in player personnel, all you have to do is look at the WAR vs salaries for the mid-2010s guys that left for other teams in free agency. Between Billy Butler (12.5 WAR with the Royals in 8 years and then -0.6 in his last 3 with the A's and Yankees) , Hosmer (15.4 in first 7 years with the Royals and 3.9 in next 7), Moustakas (11.5 in first 8 years vs 1.2 in the next 6), and Lorenzo Cain (respectable, but 24.7 with the Royals in first 7 and then 13.9 the last 6 and made a ton higher salary). That was a really good young core, but they moved on from those guys at just the right time. Probably should have kept Cain over Gordon in hindsight, thought.

Sure, FB fans have complained about it, but most of us know that moving on in 2017 was the right answer. A lot of people advocated for blowing it up after the 2015 World Series but I think it's Monday morning QB'ing with the benefit of hindsight. The Royals made a go at it in 2016 and 2017 but didn't make the playoffs. At the trade deadline in 2017, they were in WC1 position but they were running on fumes for pitching, the trades they made didn't work out, and they faltered down the stretch.

I loved LoCain - he was probably my favorite during the playoff run. And it's awesome that he signed a one day contract and is going to retire with the Royals in a couple of weeks.

However, there was value to locking up Gordon. He's retired as a career Royal, is going to be a first ballot team HOF, and is almost certainly going to get a statue outside whatever new stadium they build immortalizing his HR in game 1 of the 2015 World Series.

SI

Old 04-28-2023, 09:04 PM   #283
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mariners city connect is also trash. What’s with all the black pants? I shutter at what trash they will come up with for the Pirates.

Last edited by stevew : 04-29-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:39 AM   #284
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like the Trident but yellow is so hard to not look crappy

SI

Old 04-29-2023, 05:54 PM   #285
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DeGrom to the DL. I wish nothing but the best for him, but this has the potential to be an all time bad deal.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:00 AM   #286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We need every game in Mexico City.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:54 AM   #287
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize there was a game there until the stories today about how it went yesterday. I wish they had made a bigger deal about it

SI

Old 05-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #288
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Sometimes I just wander around Barry Bonds baseball reference page... just because.

In 2004, he got on base 376 times by hit/walk/HBP. He had 373 official at bats.

From 2001-2004, even if you take away the home runs, he still averaged getting on base over 2 times a game.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Baseball is so weird. Mets haven't been swept in 25 straight double headers. Got swept by the Tigers today with a hall of fame pitcher throwing the second game.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:00 PM   #290
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Sometimes I just wander around Barry Bonds baseball reference page... just because.

In 2004, he got on base 376 times by hit/walk/HBP. He had 373 official at bats.

From 2001-2004, even if you take away the home runs, he still averaged getting on base over 2 times a game.

The guy had 232 walks in a season. That was over 100 more than the second place guy in the NL that season. The highest non-Barry Bonds total is Babe Ruth with 170.

I wonder how much longer he could have gone. He still had 28 home runs, a .480 OBP, and 1.045 OPS at age 42, when baseball decided they were done with him.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #291
JPhillips
General Manager

I'd never seen this before.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #292
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd never seen this before.

Me neither. Fascinating to watch.

As much as has changed about hitting and what's taught now, it's interesting that Ted caught something just watching a few swings and it's a thing that still taught and kids (and young pro's) struggle with today.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:03 PM   #293
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It's this happened in baseball it would be the greatest catch of all time.

Blinder! Lalit Yadav pulls off a spectacular one-handed caught and bowled
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:47 PM   #294
JPhillips
General Manager

The Reds have some terrible defense.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #295
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, at least he's in the same ballpark as the ball.

...I'll see myself out....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #296
PilotMan
Head Coach

If the Reds were an English soccer team the town would boycott the team until its sold.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:20 PM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Misplayed balls in the OF should be errors. Like the one Jaren Durran turned into a grand slam last year.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #298
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Co-signed by my daughter/pitcher.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:16 AM   #299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nats are such a terrible franchise when it comes to delays. Cancel after a 4 hour delay when it hadn't rained in 90 minutes. Then they reschedule it for a split double header on MOTHERS DAY! The first game will also start in the 3rd inning so with a pitch clock people will get what, maybe 90 minutes, if they show up at all. This is after last night paying for parking, gas, concessions, etc...it is an absolutely dreadful way to treat your fans.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #300
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with them. That is a poor decision by all parties involved.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote