Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2023, 05:03 PM   #351
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
This offseason should be viewed as a building one for the Bears. Fields showed enough to be given a shot at being the guy going forward. They needed to utilize the #1 pick to surround him with talent and to hedge their bets in case Fields isn't the guy and they need to draft a QB next season.

Getting Moore and staying in the top 10 and getting a 2nd round pick helps build that roster. Getting a 1st next year hedges their bet and allows them to pursue another QB if they need to next year. If Fields is the guy, you have 2 1st rounders to add to the roster to hopefully help them contend for the near future.

With the #9, are the Bears going after one of the OTs? If they sign Brown and another OL in free agency, does that change and they're more open to trading back again?

At 9 I don't think they're locked into anything. They have the cap space to address quite a bit in FA. If one of the edge guys slips he'd have to be considered. I think Skoronski is more of a guard than a tackle but the Bears had a lot of issues with the interior line. I'm not sure there's a sure fire LT in this draft, but fortunately this is a deep FA class along the line.

You could make a case for Christian Gonzalez or Devon Witherspoon too. Outside of Johnson they're hurting at corner and even Johnson isn't really a #1 but instead more of a high end 2.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:57 AM   #352
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This could be fun:

Panthers Could Make Second Trade With No. 1 Pick, per Reports
Old 03-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #353
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Buccaneers reportedly targeting Baker Mayfield once free agency opens. I'm really intrigued to see what he can do with an opportunity somewhere, I just wish it wasn't with a team in the Falcon's conference.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dolphins get Jalen Ramsey for a 3rd and a TE
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #355
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Odell Beckham is reportedly seeking $20 million/year.

Who the hell is going to pay him that? Or even close to that?

I understand coming out high to start negotiations and then coming down to meet a team in the middle. But that number seems so absurd that it would do more to turn teams off then get them to the table.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:34 AM   #356
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Buccaneers reportedly targeting Baker Mayfield once free agency opens. I'm really intrigued to see what he can do with an opportunity somewhere, I just wish it wasn't with a team in the Falcon's conference.

If there was ever a below average QB that gets numerous opportunities, it is Baker Mayfield. If he were a 3rd round pick, he would be fighting for a roster spot every year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:35 AM   #357
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The Bears, acting competent in the front office? What's next, cats & dogs living in harmony together? Porcine aviation?

My thoughts as well. I can't remember the last time I thought the Bears made a good trade.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #358
QuikSand
lolzcat

OBJ on an incentive-laden deal that triggers real money for real results, and potentially locks in as a decent value for a couple more years based on that ... might be appetizing for a team feeling frisky (Cowboys? Chargers?).

But it seems hard to fathom who would end up paying 3/48 for him or the like in any conventional way (where you'd end up paying $28m or so for one mediocre year if that is all he has left).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:39 AM   #359
QuikSand
lolzcat

Austin Ekeler floating he'd like a trade out of LAC. Hmmm...
Old 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #360
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Austin Ekeler floating he'd like a trade out of LAC. Hmmm...

Would anyone actually bite on that?

Maybe a late round pick, but he seems like he's breaking down.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:28 PM   #361
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Garoppolo to Raiders on a 3-year deal. Is that an upgrade from Carr? Maybe a change of scenery will help both guys, but Jimmy G gets hurt a lot.

Also McGlinchey to Broncos; Jawann Taylor to the Chiefs; Hargrave to the 49ers. Now the Bears will have to overpay for where they are the weakest. But yeah, let's trade for a WR.

Last edited by weegeebored : 03-13-2023 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added info
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #362
GrantDawg

Trey Wingo says Rodgers to the Jets is done.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-13-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #363
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Garoppolo to Raiders on a 3-year deal. Is that an upgrade from Carr? Maybe a change of scenery will help both guys, but Jimmy G gets hurt a lot.

They save at least $15m/y on the move, so… does it have to pass the test of being “an upgrade” to pass the smell test?

I get that we might second guess whether the Raiders ought to be in “play to win now” mode, but asstthey are this doesn’t seem awful.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #364
Danny
Head Coach

Jimmy g is not better than Carr but he is tougher and is a better fit with McDaniels in raiders offense. And comes in a little over half the cost. Still want a young guy to develop. Richardson would be perfect to sit for a year or two
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:31 PM   #365
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Case Keenum to the Texans.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:42 PM   #366
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Garoppolo at 3 for $72.75m, $45m guaranteed (I've seen it reported differently). I've looked at his injury list - it could be bad luck. Where are you going to find a quarterback with a 43-18 career record and an ANY/A of 7.20? Those are both elite rates.

If he isn't injury-prone, this could be quite a steal for the Raiders.

Three primary backups have signed (White got $16m/2 from Miami, which is surprising). It's already quite thin out there. If the Jets don't land Rodgers, not sure what they can do. Andy Dalton might not be a bad option at that point. I'm not a Wentz fan, but he could get another chance to start.

I'm also assuming Mayfield to Tampa Bay, which is at least intriguing. Of all the failures last season, Mayfield's was the most surprising.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:55 PM   #367
RainMaker
General Manager

Not really sure what the Bears are doing. Like the Nate Davis signing but investing a fortune in linebackers when you have no offensive or defensive line seems risky.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:05 PM   #368
bhlloy
Coordinator

When Brock Purdy has an ANY/A of 7.57 and a record of 5-0 as a rookie who was the last pick of the draft, I’m going to suggest it’s not Jimmy that is elite. But it will be fun to find out who’s right.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:09 PM   #369
GrantDawg

I like the Falcons moves so far. Getting Bates from the Bengals was big.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-13-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:18 PM   #370
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
When Brock Purdy has an ANY/A of 7.57 and a record of 5-0 as a rookie who was the last pick of the draft, I’m going to suggest it’s not Jimmy that is elite. But it will be fun to find out who’s right.

Who says he's elite? He's mediocre but he knows McDaniels system and will be a better fit than Carr. K don't see him as the long term answer but defijrielg gives more time if the raiders get a Richardson of Levis to let them learn
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:32 PM   #371
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Jimmy G is great value for the Raiders.

The tackle market exploded. Not shocked the bears have stayed out of it. Unless they can get a bargain on someone like McGary it's probably best to get one on a rookie deal. They do need to land a 3 tech DT though.

Edwards is a great value signing at LB and Edmunds is getting what they offered Roquan except Edmunds is a better player.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #372
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Patrick Peterson is washed, right?

Last edited by stevew : 03-13-2023 at 05:19 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #373
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think Jimmy G is great value for the Raiders.

The tackle market exploded. Not shocked the bears have stayed out of it. Unless they can get a bargain on someone like McGary it's probably best to get one on a rookie deal. They do need to land a 3 tech DT though.

Edwards is a great value signing at LB and Edmunds is getting what they offered Roquan except Edmunds is a better player.

I like the Edwards signing but that's a lot of money for an off the ball linebacker. Especially when your defensive line is filled with practice squad level players. At some point you have to address the line.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:46 PM   #374
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Who says he's elite? He's mediocre but he knows McDaniels system and will be a better fit than Carr. K don't see him as the long term answer but defijrielg gives more time if the raiders get a Richardson of Levis to let them learn

The person a few posts before you who happens to know a bit about the sport I think…

(And yes to be fair Jim said some of his underlying stats are elite not that he is, but I’d still argue he’s firmly the outlier rather than anything other than mediocre)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:14 PM   #375
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I'd argue against the mediocre assessment. But it is an interesting offshoot of the Brady or Belicheck question.

So, Purdy? The question there is what you can conclude after 233 career passing attempts (Garoppolo has 1850). He's up there with just about anyone you can name as far as first 233 passing attempts goes. I don't necessarily buy the idea that he was severely limited in what he was doing. But defenses have to adjust to what's on film, what they know they'll face in games. So there's a lot to think about there and the argument that Shanahan (with various different supporting staff) can work magic with game plans.

The question with Garoppolo is why he doesn't get elite money, which means he's not considered elite (even with elite statistics). No one offered him nearly as much as Daniel Jones was offered, and Jones has produced thoroughly mediocre statistics and a 22-32-1 career record. Is it durability? Is it Shanahan magic? I was far more tuned into the Patriots when Garoppolo was drafted. Belichick said he was legit. He looked legit, briefly, when Brady was being inflated by the league. Then... durability.

That's why I've looked over that injury list several times. I've watched the broken foot play a few times. I don't know. Is there a problem there? The injuries aren't soft, by any means. No one would play through them, I think. But he has missed enormous amounts of playing time - not to mention not playing while Brady obviously had a lot left in his career. The 49ers Paid him (I always use the capitalized Paid for that first big post-rookie contract that indicates a player is considered a prime starter). And now they won't, and it's not just because of Lance.

This is why the NFL is a lot more fun than baseball. So much to consider, so many ways of looking at things.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:52 PM   #376
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not really sure what the Bears are doing. Like the Nate Davis signing but investing a fortune in linebackers when you have no offensive or defensive line seems risky.

The LB corps outside of Sanborn were awful as well. Just likely means they're going to go for tier 2 D-line, which is still fine.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #377
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
The LB corps outside of Sanborn were awful as well. Just likely means they're going to go for tier 2 D-line, which is still fine.

They had $100 million in cap space. They can afford tier 1 lineman!
Old 03-13-2023, 06:24 PM   #378
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Roquan at $20 mil

or

Edwards and Edmunds at $24.5 mil plus a 2nd

That's basically what it came down to and Edmunds has been the player Bears fans have desperately wanted Roquan to be plus he's as year younger. Both are good in pass coverage, which helps enormously.

The D line definitely needs help so I'm curious to see what Poles does, but Hargrave at 30 doesn't make sense. Dremont Jones is too small for what the Bears need. I don't think Tomlinson is a good scheme fit. They may be looking for a bargain stopgap guy (Rankins?).

Tackle seems to be the best position to upgrade in the draft unless Jones' asking price comes down a lot. There are several graded around where the Bears are drafting in the 1st now.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #379
RainMaker
General Manager

I like Edmunds and think he's a better fit than Roquan. I just don't know about spending that much on an off-the-ball linebacker. Someone needs to get pressure on the QB and someone needs to block for Fields. Those would be my priorities.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #380
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I like Edmunds and think he's a better fit than Roquan. I just don't know about spending that much on an off-the-ball linebacker. Someone needs to get pressure on the QB and someone needs to block for Fields. Those would be my priorities.

I agree on both. It's just not easy to address this offseason without overpaying massively, which Poles seems to be trying to avoid.

The remaining work to be done is the defensive front and Oline tweaks. A tackle and a center that's more effective than a traffic cone would be nice.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:10 PM   #381
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Teams are channeling the savings from the cost-controlled salaries for young players and the huge increases in the cap right into eight-digit salaries for starters. Atlanta just gave their own interior lineman $20 million per year on an extension. Granted, he's really good, but that's just where we are right now.

Meanwhile, and I'm looking at this a lot lately, veterans who won't start get the minimum, and many are pushed out of the league for younger players making the minimum, since their minimum is lower - even accounting for cap rule relief.

Many teams don't need to be that picky, but they want the flexibility to offer a lot in case something comes up. Then renegotiate it away at the beginning of the next league year (Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott just got some cash for it yesterday or today). Hopefully, they'll put it in a stable bank, or buy an island, or pay China to make one for them.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:37 PM   #382
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big first free agency day for my beloved Cards so far-they resigned 4th? string WR Greg Dortsch

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-13-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:42 PM   #383
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The thing about Edwards is that he doesn't need to leave the field for situational play. Defensive linemen need time off because it's the most exhausting position in the game. Linebackers are often liabilities against the pass. You need guys like Edwards, and some safeties play this role as well, who don't require high-quality backup. Otherwise the numbers kill you on defense and hurry-up can get you in deep trouble as well.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:49 PM   #384
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Big first free agency day for my beloved Cards so far-they resigned 4th? string WR Greg Dortsch

A few years out, the winners of FA always seem to be the teams that didn't make big first day splashes.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:02 PM   #385
JPhillips
General Manager

I expected the Bengals to lose Bates, but I was surprised they lost Bell. They now have Dax Hill and Tycen Anderson, who was on IR last year as their safeties.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:34 PM   #386
GrantDawg

Really looks like much of the Saints defense is getting scattered. The Falcons got a couple of them.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:36 PM   #387
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Really looks like much of the Saints defense is getting scattered. The Falcons got a couple of them.

This was the biggest loss by far: Saints-Falcons, never forget: Shy Tuttle's stiff arm of Matt Ryan, in German! - YouTube

Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 PM   #388
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the thing I want most out of free agency season is for the Jets to trade for Rodgers and for Zach Wilson to give a press conference saying that as far as he's concerned he's still the starter, but he's happy to have a good veteran backup
Old 03-13-2023, 09:45 PM   #389
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears start work on the D-line now. 2 year deal for DeMarcus Walker.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:46 PM   #390
Swaggs
Coordinator

David Long Jr. to the Dolphins is a great deal at that price. I was really hoping the Steelers would end up with him or Edmunds to help them up the middle, so they could use their early picks elsewhere. If Robert Spillane ends up costing more than Long Jr., I am going to real disappointed.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:00 AM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that the thing I want most out of free agency season is for the Jets to trade for Rodgers and for Zach Wilson to give a press conference saying that as far as he's concerned he's still the starter, but he's happy to have a good veteran backup

The mere fact that this is a possibility would be the reason that the Jets needs to send him to a deserted island with the threat of cutting him if he answered any communication from the media.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:16 AM   #392
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Much less than I thought. WRs got bank last offseason. And the draft and FA classes are pretty shallow this year.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:51 AM   #393
GrantDawg

Looks like Lamar finally spoke out on what the Ravens offered him. 3 years/$133 million guaranteed. Slams all the reports they had offered $200 million guaranteed or $250 million guaranteed. May be misrepresenting what the offer was, but if not that is a pretty low-ball guaranteed money.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-14-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:51 PM   #394
Izulde
Head Coach

It's so nice to see the Dolphins be smart financially in their FA pickups rather than the splashy signings of Wallace and Suh, both of which I hated. And they got Ramsay at a steal of a price thanks to the Rams cap-dumping. Don't know about Mike White, but hard to imagine he'd be worse than Bridgewater/Thompson last year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #395
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mike Thomas one year deal with Saints.

If healthy, he's a top WR.

Big if, but I'm glad he's staying. No other player was going to give the Saints that upside.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:18 PM   #396
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Lamar finally spoke out on what the Ravens offered him. 3 years/$133 million guaranteed. Slams all the reports they had offered $200 million guaranteed or $250 million guaranteed. May be misrepresenting what the offer was, but if not that is a pretty low-ball guaranteed money.

That's not too shabby for an injury prone player. I wonder what the non-guaruntee money was on top of that (assuming there was any).

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-14-2023 at 01:19 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #397
Atocep
Coordinator

As of this morning the Bears were still sitting on about 50 mil in cap space, which still leads the NFL. It's a nice change from the Ryan Pace days. He would have blown through 100 mil within a couple hours.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #398
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
That's not too shabby for an injury prone player. I wonder what the non-guaruntee money was on top of that (assuming there was any).
So you are saying he is not worth Kyler Murray money?
Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #399
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As of this morning the Bears were still sitting on about 50 mil in cap space, which still leads the NFL. It's a nice change from the Ryan Pace days. He would have blown through 100 mil within a couple hours.

Not to mention Pace would have probably traded half his draft picks by now, and probably the next year's first.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #400
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The reports were that it was $133 million due at signing, but additional guarantees that would be paid later (totaling $200 million).

The 3 years/$133 million kind of makes sense though because that's Watson money per year, just for 3 years instead of 5. But maybe there were some kind of mechanics/cap tomfoolery/options whatever for years 4 and 5 which aren't easily tweetable.

Last edited by molson : 03-14-2023 at 02:37 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote