Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I disagree with Trumpism, but I don't wish its adherents dead. This is inexcusable.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #52
Ben E Lou

Put simply, as my mama used to say "Two wrongs don't make a right."
Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #53
molson
General Manager

I don't remember anyone wishing him dead, or acting to bring about his death. They're just happy it happened.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Osama Bin Laden was a murderer and an enemy of this country. I celebrated his death.

Rush Limbaugh espoused some political opinions I disagreed with. Condolences to his family and friends.

Many of y'all need to check yourselves.

You don't think Rush used his words to spurn people to commit acts that resulted in deaths?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #55
PilotMan
Head Coach

I Don't Even Want To Be Alive Anymore - By: Rush Limbaugh

The Onion 2010

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-18-2021 at 10:51 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

He preached that COVID was fake, and that smoking doesn't cause cancer (oops). It's impossible to quantify, but he certainly caused some number of people to die just from those two things (there's many others). He was incredibly influential and people relied upon him as their news source. Once it became clear that that could make one rich, others peddled lies in the same way, resulting in more death.

Last edited by molson : 02-18-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #57
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't think you get to have the privilege of NOT being talked about unfavorably after your death, when you literally spent your entire life talking shit about other people and groups, and did so in a way that was in no way nice, polite, or something that anyone's grandma would approve of.

Like Steam?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #58
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Osama Bin Laden was a murderer and an enemy of this country. I celebrated his death.

Rush Limbaugh espoused some political opinions I disagreed with. Condolences to his family and friends.

Many of y'all need to check yourselves.

He considered you subhuman because of the color of your skin.

I get turning the other cheek. I've seen family members of murder victims forgive. But his "political disagreements" weren't about the tax code.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #59
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I get turning the other cheek. I've seen family members of murder victims forgive. But his "political disagreements" weren't about the tax code.

Don't forget his quote about Eric Garner. "I'm still able to breath because I follow the law". That's not politics either, that's straight up, unadulterated racism.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #60
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Personally, I think there is a pretty clear & obvious dividing line between criticizing a person directly in public & criticizing a public figure in front of other people.

It's hard to see people pretending that line is blurry in order to directly criticize other people's morals AND take the high road at the same time as anything other than hypocritical,
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #61
Ben E Lou

I don't care what he said or did. Celebrating a man's death is wrong. Period. Public figure or private individual.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #62
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Quote:
Celebrating a man's death is wrong. Period. Public figure or private individual.

It's just a matter of where your line is, I guess. But you have a line too. I think many people in this thread would put the negative impact of those two people as closer than you would.

Last edited by molson : 02-18-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #63
Ben E Lou

Uh, I was wrong to celebrate Bin Laden's death. I shouldn't have. That should have been clear. (But I stand by the assertion that he's nowhere near Bin Laden.)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #64
Scarecrow
College Prospect

"You can greatly dislike someone without mocking them for losing their life to the horror that is cancer. Social media is the worst following the death of a polarizing figure. I mean this sincerely: try to be better than those who follow their worst impulses in these moments."

I've never 'celebrated' anyone's death, and I never will.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #65
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

This isn't even a case of turning the other cheek or forgiveness, per se. It's basic decorum and human decency.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #66
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's basic decorum and human decency.

It's much harder to turn away to his 'accomplishments" when he had so little of these things he was willing to give. I am willing to give decorum and decency at his funeral, to his family, and those who love him. However, in the meantime, it's completely right to speak to the things that he espoused so strongly and those who he hurt directly and indirectly all in the name of money and fame. There's a whole list of people who don't deserve decorum and human decency, murders, rapists, abusers, con men to steal the money from whoever they can. Let them be loved by those who love them, and that is it. Let those people remember them for the way they want to, let the rest of us remember them for how we do.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-18-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #67
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
This isn't even a case of turning the other cheek or forgiveness, per se. It's basic decorum and human decency.

This, you can hate what a man stands for, without the need to dance on his grave. The old adage, about saying nothing at all.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This, you can hate what a man stands for, without the need to dance on his grave. The old adage, about saying nothing at all.

This is a man who spent much of his life doing the exact opposite of that old adage and gleefully and quite publicly danced on the graves of many, many poor vulnerable people who died of AIDS just because he hated their sexuality. You reap what you sow. Play foolish games win foolish prizes.

I will not ignore all of the pain, fear and hatred this man sowed over his lifetime. Fuck him. As I said before, the world is a much better place with him gone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #69
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This is a man who spent much of his life doing the exact opposite of that old adage and gleefully and quite publicly danced on the graves of many, many poor vulnerable people who died of AIDS just because he hated their sexuality. You reap what you sow. Play foolish games win foolish prizes.

I will not ignore all of the pain, fear and hatred this man sowed over his lifetime. Fuck him. As I said before, the world is a much better place with him gone.

So you hate what he stood for? Me too, thanks.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ben, you are just wrong on this one and are minimizing his terrible, horrible hatred for reasons I can't fathom. When I was talking about struggling, I immediately thought of my feelings when Bin Laden was killed. And I don't think Limbaugh is a much better person than Bin Laden. I have no doubt that if 1/6 succeeded, he'd be advocating summary executions of political opponents.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Uh, I was wrong to celebrate Bin Laden's death. I shouldn't have. That should have been clear. (But I stand by the assertion that he's nowhere near Bin Laden.)

This really comes across as do as I say, not as I do.

This man literally celebrated the deaths of gay people from AIDS (with horns!). He deliberately minimized COVID. Tens of thousands, if not hundred of thousands of deaths could have been prevented if Limbaugh, FOX, and Trump hadn’t minimized the disease. That’s, btw, FAR more deaths than bin Laden was responsible for. We puff up 9/11 so much bigger than it was that crises that have caused a magnitude higher of deaths and economic devestation are considered to be less of an issue. It baffles my mind.

Now I didn’t celebrate Limbaugh’s death and I didn’t celebrated bin Laden’s death. But I understand those that did both (hence the struggle I have).
Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #72
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't care what he said or did. Celebrating a man's death is wrong. Period. Public figure or private individual.

Shit, I've already opened the champagne...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #73
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Why does he deserve decorum and human decency when he showed neither while living?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #74
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I don't celebrate anyone's death, but I completely understand those who do this one. He mocked peoples death, so I get why people would mock his.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #75
Ben E Lou

I certainly get *why* people do it; I just believe it's wrong. (See aforementioned wisdom from Mama, posted earlier in this thread.) Lathum's post made me realize that arguing over it is fruitless, though. At my core, I believe that anyone's lack of adherence to decorum and human decency is completely immaterial to whether *I* should extend it. Seems like others believe otherwise. They think I'm wrong. I think they're wrong. *shurg*
Old 02-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #76
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't celebrate his death. Didn't wish for him to die. But am neutral with him dying and not going to shed any tears.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #77
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou
I believe that anyone's lack of adherence to decorum and human decency is completely immaterial to whether *I* should extend it. Seems like others believe otherwise. They think I'm wrong. I think they're wrong.

Unrelated to what I said earlier in the thread, but this is me 100%. It's about being the kind of person who is decent, not whether people deserve it - the latter causing all kinds of issues including our limited knowledge of what they deserve.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #78
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Unrelated to what I said earlier in the thread, but this is me 100%. It's about being the kind of person who is decent, not whether people deserve it - the latter causing all kinds of issues including our limited knowledge of what they deserve.

It doesn't make you indecent to be happy that someone who was a cancer on society isn't around anymore. Does it make you flawed, probably, but we are all flawed if one way or another.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #79
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Florida representative calling for flags to fly at half-staff in honor of Rush Limbaugh

Apparently this is going to happen. We are so fucked as a nation
Old 02-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #80
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

He is a Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient after all
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post

further proof how fucked we are...
Old 02-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #82
korme
Go Reds

How could you know anything about Rush Limbaugh and then tell others its inexcusable to be happy about his death? The guy actively stoked racism and in the process made many people's live worse for it. If you like Rush, you laugh at this stuff, and you accept that you can act this way around your buddies too.

Fuckk Rush Limbaugh. Peace bitch.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #83
BYU 14
Coordinator

I honestly think this thread as already giving him more attention then he deserves. The fucking guy did this in life and now even in death he is dividing people.

And I don't think anyone is saying that someone is a bad person if they celebrate his death, just offering views on why they don't feel it is appropriate or decent in their view of the world. Just like I don't think anyone is condemning those who choose not to celebrate his death.

He was an absolutely vile human being, which is why it is just better to let his memory fade instead of allowing it to become a point of contention.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #84
molson
General Manager

Or maybe evil should be remembered. So we can learn how to stamp it out better. So we can recognize the warning signs of its rise. Isn't that what we say about the Nazis?
Old 02-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #85
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Or maybe evil should be remembered. So we can learn how to stamp it out better. So we can recognize the warning signs of its rise. Isn't that what we say about the Nazis?

You can easily remember and learn from the evil without prolonging the presence of the individual, that should just be common sense.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #86
molson
General Manager

I feel like a couple of pages of posts on a message board the two days after he dies about how much he sucks are OK. Nobody has to come into the thread if they're bothered by that.

Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the line of "prolonging his presence" or what you're saying we shouldn't be doing here. Talking about how much he sucks is OK, but talking about how we're happy he's gone is not? The latter "prolongs his presence" but the former doesn't?

Edit: I can understand why someone wouldn't want to be as overt in their glee as others, that's just a personality trait. I just think that's a weird hill to die on. Being stoic oneself should be enough if that's who one is. Let everyone else be happy for a bit, it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #87
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am not saying anyone should or shouldn't do anything, free choice how people respond to things like this. I just don't understand the need to make it a point of contention, or why anyone would want to waste energy on that POS, which obviously I have done too much of now.

I am not dying on any hill related to this and as I said people can do whatever makes them happy, doesn't affect me, just not sure why I have to go to such lengths to defend, what to me is a pretty moderate and innocuous opinion.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-19-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #88
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

His death reminds me of Matt Taibbi's "eulogy" for Roger Ailes:
Taibbi: Roger Ailes Was One of the Worst Americans Ever - Rolling Stone

Quote:
The extent to which we hate and fear each other now – that’s not any one person’s fault. But no one person was more at fault than Roger Ailes. He never had a soul to sell, so he sold ours. It may take 50 years or a century for us to recover. Even dictators rarely have that kind of impact. Enjoy the next life, you monster.

Rush's name is right up there with Ailes for this.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post

So is Bill Cosby
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote