Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #1801
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That wreck in Fort Worth was a couple of miles from my parents house.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #1802
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Ice storm here. Power has been out since around 7:30am in most of my immediate area. There were only three generators left at my nearby Home Depot when I showed up. Finally decided to pull the trigger on getting one, and I must say that it's nice to have. Fridge, all computer/wifi stuff, and two space heaters are running on it now.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #1803
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Ice storm here. Power has been out since around 7:30am in most of my immediate area. There were only three generators left at my nearby Home Depot when I showed up. Finally decided to pull the trigger on getting one, and I must say that it's nice to have. Fridge, all computer/wifi stuff, and two space heaters are running on it now.

How much did it run you? And did you hook it into your system or just plug things directly into it?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #1804
JPhillips
General Manager

I remember how much of a pain in the ass a generator was when I was a kid, but I'm so damned happy the prior homeowners left us the generator. We've oy used it two or three times, but keeping the heat on and not losing frozen food is great.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #1805
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How much did it run you? And did you hook it into your system or just plug things directly into it?

SI
I got the kind that you plug stuff into. It was $800 retail. Including a space heater, pricey surge protector with a dozen outlets/four USB charging stations, a gas can large enough to fill this sucker up (it holds 6 gallons,) and tax, the whole purchase was right at a thousand. I already had three very good extension cords, which you'd need as well.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #1806
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's something we've strongly considered in the event of hurricanes but never pulled the trigger on

SI

Old 02-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #1807
JPhillips
General Manager

Ours plugs in outside and has a panel inside where we can throw individual breakers to the generator.

We're at the end of a power line and the previous owners put it all in after a tree fell and they were out of power for 2 weeks.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #1808
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's something we've strongly considered in the event of hurricanes but never pulled the trigger on

SI
We've gone back and forth over whether to get one just about every winter we've been here. (This is our 7th.) One year we even bought one in anticipation of the power going out for a specific storm, and then returned it since we never took it out of the box when we never lost power. Psychologically, it felt better to finally pull the trigger on this one because the power was already out, seemed that it was gonna be a while (8+ hours and counting as of this writing, and it's still hovering around freezing and raining) and because we're getting a stimulus-check-fueled tax refund of about a grand, so it'll feel like a wash. (The company I work for didn't pay out bonuses in 2020, thus reducing my income from 2019, and sure enough, there IS a tax credit for that.)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-13-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #1809
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

it's going to be freezing temp here for at least a week
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #1810
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
it's going to be freezing temp here for at least a week

For us a little further south, we've had 10 inches of snow in the last week and another 10 or more expected the next couple of days, and then more possibly by the end of the week. Cold is not the going concern in NKY right now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:30 AM   #1811
Ben E Lou

Duke Power sent out a message early yesterday afternoon saying that our area would be restored by 5:57pm. Still no power, and no updated ETA. Going on 24 hours without power now.

2 observations from having used the generator for roughly 18 hours.

1. Sure, it makes sense to close doors so that your small space heater will heat your bedroom, but it might also be wise to open the door to the bathroom. STUPID-cold toilet seat this morning ftl.
2. You'll never get faster internet service than when virtually no one else in your area is using it.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #1812
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

2-4 inches expected monday morning and an additional 4-8 inches expected tuesday morning.

How can I contribute more to global warming?
Old 02-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #1813
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thankfully, it appears Jim Cantore is in Dallas and not Houston

SI

Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #1814
JPhillips
General Manager

Looking at .25 to .5 inches of ice for tomorrow night. I need to shovel a path for the generator tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #1815
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

6 to 12 inches tonight....but i'm ready. i have a whole BOX of wine!
Old 02-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #1816
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ice all over Houston at this point. We're in the southern part of Houston and our stuff just changed over to freezing rain in the last hour or two

SI

Old 02-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #1817
HerRealName
College Prospect

As Texas has rolling black-outs across the state you have to admire this guy's ability to self own.

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #1818
Thomkal
Head Coach

So what snow totals are you Texas/Oklahoma residents here getting? Had two straight days of rain here in Myrtle and probably more coming this week.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #1819
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I got about 6 inches at my place, southwest of Austin. The weather station in my back yard recorded a low of 5.9F this morning. Previous coldest it had ever recorded was 12.7F, back in 2018.

The freezing is supposed to last until Wednesday. By Sunday it will be 70F again.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #1820
HerRealName
College Prospect

We're North of Dallas and got maybe 2-3 inches of snow. The cold temps are the problem. Also, potential for more snow on Wednesday.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #1821
tarcone
Coordinator

Near St. Louis and we are in a wind chill and winter storm warning. 5-9 inches of snow and -15 wind chill.

Thats cold and a lot of snow for around here.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #1822
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

we barely got anything overnight...now they've said this afternoon 12 inches whatever
Old 02-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #1823
PilotMan
Head Coach

We've had an inch. South of here has had a bunch of ice. Our new modified totals are 5-8" the rest of the day with 6-9" for the total, on top of the 7 we already had on the ground. Possibly more coming over the weekend.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #1824
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 02-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #1825
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
6 to 12 inches tonight....but i'm ready. i have a whole BOX of wine!

I just got a bottle of rum and I have the day off tomorrow. I'm all set except the hooker.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:41 PM   #1826
RainMaker
General Manager

We will end up with a foot by the morning. This is on top of the foot we got the past few weeks. Everything running smoothly though except maybe my back from shlveling.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:26 AM   #1827
Ben E Lou

The generator purchase is looking better, as it looks like we're headed for Ice Storm 2: Electric Boogaloo tomorrow night. Ugh.

Quote:

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING... * WHAT...Significant icing possible. Total ice accumulations of at least one quarter of an inch possible. * WHERE...Person, Forsyth and Guilford Counties. * WHEN...From late Wednesday night through Thursday evening. * IMPACTS...Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the ice. Travel could be nearly impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #1828
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a pretty cool experiment, check out the video.

Boiling water turns to ice instantly as frigid air overtakes South Dakota
Quote:
With temperatures lower than 20 degrees below zero on Feb. 15, when this pot of boiling water hit the air, it turned to frozen vapor in an instant.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #1829
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

We've had some snow in Alabama. Of course any snow means road closures. Of course with virtual classes school still is on for us. . even if it isn't for UA
Old 02-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #1830
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I feel for you guys getting hit with freezing rain. That stuff is bs. We hit -50 with the windchill over the weekend, but today we're headed back for the low negative single digits (so 20's F), which will feel downright balmy.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #1831
JPhillips
General Manager

The temperature went up just enough to leave us with rain and a slight glaze of ice instead of a huge ice storm. Now we're supposed to get up to almost 50 before plummeting tomorrow and getting 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #1832
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting up to a balmy 17 today. We got about 6 or 7 inches of snow, which is a lot for us. We have another couple coming Wednesday.

Up to 49 Monday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #1833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The temperature went up just enough to leave us with rain and a slight glaze of ice instead of a huge ice storm. Now we're supposed to get up to almost 50 before plummeting tomorrow and getting 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday.

Similar here on the jersey shore. Almost 50 today. Everything is melting just in time to plummet to 30 overnight and turn to ice before 5 inches on Thursday.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #1834
Thomkal
Head Coach

Almost 70 here today getting ready for the next round of cold and rain. Just north of the border last night that had a tornado that killed 3.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #1835
cartman
Death Herald

14 hours without power
Old 02-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #1836
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
14 hours without power

I have friends in Oregon going on 5 days
Old 02-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #1837
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Where in the US do people stop having furnaces? I was talking with a colleague from Shanghai and he said it's not common there to have heating, so in the winter when it gets down close to freezing it's pretty cold. Here it's not common for people to have A/C so days in the mid 80's can be a bit much for sleeping at night, especially when the house design here isn't really geared to stopping the heat from coming in.

Also unrelated question, do many people have below ground basements? Here we do because of frost, but I remember going to Phoenix and it seemed as most of the houses have crawl spaces below the house or something and I thought that was weird because it would be so nice and cool in the basement in the summer if you had one.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #1838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Also unrelated question, do many people have below ground basements? Here we do because of frost, but I remember going to Phoenix and it seemed as most of the houses have crawl spaces below the house or something and I thought that was weird because it would be so nice and cool in the basement in the summer if you had one.

A combination of not needing them & some complicating superhard soil conditions that can make it crazy tough to do

Quote:
"In colder climes builders have to dig the foundation down below the frost line, whereas in Arizona it only needs to be about 18 inches. That's about it in a nutshell," said Marshall Trimble, Arizona's official state historian.
]
Why don't Arizona houses have basements?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-16-2021 at 03:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #1839
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have friends in Oregon going on 5 days

For all the fuss over snow storms, ice storms are the worst.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #1840
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For all the fuss over snow storms, ice storms are the worst.

Having worked in insurance on the collision side for 7 years I can confirm.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #1841
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

My Homechef meal didn't arrive today

#FirstWorldProblems
Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #1842
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One of my contractors at work hasn't checked in in a few days. I dug up his cell to contact him ... and realized he lived in Pflugerville, right outside of Austin. Which is presently under a boil order.

Whoops.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #1843
Ben E Lou

We've been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning. The forecast looks really bad, and frankly, it seems like it'll be worse than they're saying. NWS is calling for freezing rain and a low of 29 tonight, Weather Underground is saying low of 27. In both cases, it's been trending colder. At those temperatures, we'll get significant ice buildup in a hurry. Worse, there are tons of pine trees around here. If you haven't been through a big ice storm where tightly-packed pine needles turn into big balls of ice, let's just say that's, um, not good.

I'm expecting to lose power some time Thursday late morning/early afternoon, and I'll consider it a win if we have it back by Sunday night. We have 30+ gallons of gas for the generator, two full propane tanks to use the outdoor burner for cooking, and 60+ pounds of charcoal for grilling. We'll eat fine, and have even planned to do a Lowcountry Boil Friday night. Our biggest issue is that we have a super-open floor plan that's great for entertaining, which we love to do, but--I learned last weekend--is absolutely *terrible* for heating the house under these circumstances. My office is the only room downstairs that can be closed off to contain heat, so basically once the house really cools down (probably Thursday night/Friday morning) we're probably all stuck in my office during the day, and in the master bedroom at night.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #1844
Radii
Head Coach

We have more snow than I've ever seen at one time up here in Fort Wayne, but it's just snow and the temps are staying below freezing, so its really no big deal other than the shoveling. I feel for those in Texas and other parts of the south where there's ice mixed in and no infrastructure to handle any of it. Stay warm.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #1845
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We made it through about half-inch of ice last week, followed by 2-3 inches of sleet and 2 inches of powder snow this week, waiting on somewhere around 2-8 inches of snow starting tonight. Digging out the driveway was as close to an archeological dig as I've ever had - skimmed the top 2 inches of powder off, got to the next level of frozen sleet, then sledgehammer conditions for the inch or so of ice underneath all of that.

I skipped my iFit workout yesterday and still ended up with 100 Fitbit Active Zone minutes for the day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #1846
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ted Cruz Accused of Flying to Cancun Amid Texas Power Outages As Photo Goes Viral
Old 02-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #1847
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would just like to state that this last week sucked.

SI

Old 02-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #1848
cartman
Death Herald

A week ago it was 2 degrees. Today it got up to 86.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #1849
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

More like extreme weather, not severe.

Last night we had a high school softball game. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and the high was 70.

This morning I woke up to close to an inch of snow on the ground.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #1850
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
More like extreme weather, not severe.

Last night we had a high school softball game. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and the high was 70.

This morning I woke up to close to an inch of snow on the ground.

All of that pretty much happened during the course of the Reds game last night.