Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

A Music Production Dynasty

I'm gonna try something different.

I've searched, but I don't know if anyone has done a dynasty like this before.

I've been feeling pretty empty creatively. I've always been a pretty creative guy, and when I was in high school I was your typical "guy in 100 bands." They were horrible, terrible bands, but I loved playing guitar and I loved writing music.

When high school ended, my love of music remained but the creation of it slowed, and eventually stopped about two years ago.

So, to try and dust off the creative cob webs, I started to write. Unfortunately I didn't get very far with it. I can't draw or paint, so I figured that I should try and get back into music.

I didn't really know what was going to come out...in high school I liked Blink-182 and pop-punk bands. My music tasted have changed completely, to a much more electronic rock sound. So, knowing that one of the premier electronic music creation programs was Propellerhead's "Reason 4," I took the plunge and got it.

My first look at it put a total "WTF" look on my face. Pressing TAB and seeing this, well, it was fucking intimidating to say the least.

But with no books, no how-to's, and no tutorials, I played around with it for days, learning how to use the ReDrum to program beats, and even learning how to use my computer keyboard to play notes.

About three days after realizing that I would love using this program, I purchased a 25-key MIDI Keyboard, the M-Audio KeyRig25 to use with Reason 4.

See, Reason is not typical music recording software. You actually can't even plug in an instrument and strum away, or record from a microphone. It's simply a MIDI composition program.

If you're interested, here is some more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(software)

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 08-14-2008 at 08:22 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

My goal here is to chronicle and share with you pieces of music that I've been writing with Reason.

So to kick it off, here is the very first song I wrote with Reason.

http://users.bandzoogle.com/innervoi...files/1mp3.mp3

And here is a picture of the rack and sequencer:

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 08-14-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

After writing that song, it took a while for me to come up with anything that could turn into a song. Lot's of cool 30 second things but nothing that could be over 2 minutes long. About four days ago I wrote this, and I really am proud of this one.

http://users.bandzoogle.com/innervoi...files/4mp3.mp3

Here is the rack and sequencer for this one:

Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I wrote this next one two nights ago, and finished what is here all in one night, which is a first. I want to work on it a little more but I like the general idea.

http://users.bandzoogle.com/innervoi...files/5mp3.mp3

Rack and sequencer:

Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

And to finish off the songs I've already wrote, this one is from last night. It's the slowest and sappiest of them all, and I'm not 100% sure what I think of it yet.

http://users.bandzoogle.com/innervoi...files/6mp3.mp3

Rack/Sequencer:

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Cool idea. I'll be following. I really like the second one you posted.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Cool idea. I'll be following. I really like the second one you posted.

Thanks. That is my favorite as well.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
Calis
College Starter

Enjoy the 2nd one as well.

Cool dynasty. I actually just within the last week got this same urge. I ended up grabbing a MIDI keyboard(M-Audio as well, but different model), and have been digging into Reason 4 a bit.

I actually ordered a book Reason 4 Power or something along the lines and I think it's actually a good primer for beginners. I've only gone through the first couple chapters, but I've picked up a lot I didn't from just fiddling around. I'm still stuck in that 30 seconds or less "clip" phase. That is a rather intimidating hurdle to jump.

I'll be following along.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I no longer have a site to host these on. I have a few more to post, so I'll dig around to try and find somewhere to put them.

I recently have gotten much more into the recording thing and have got myself a pro tools rig. Mbox 2 mini, pro tools 7.4, and I also updated my controller to an M-Audio Axiom 61-key. It's really sweet.

I'm building up my equipment and just purchased my first two mics yesterday. I don't think you will hear me singing, but eventually I'm going to record somebody and I will post it.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I changed the name of the dynasty from Music Creation to Music Production. In January, I'm planning on getting a certification from the Berklee College of Music in music production using Pro Tools. I have until December 1st to sign up, but I'm still debating it.

If I do end up going for it, I'm going to chronicle my journey here.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 11-19-2008 at 10:49 AM.