Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RIP Lorenzen Wright

Body of missing Memphis basketball star Lorenzen Wright found » The Commercial Appeal

Law enforcement officials have found the body of missing Memphis basketball star Lorenzen Wright in a wooded area at Hacks Cross and Winchester in southeast Memphis.

A law enforcement source confirmed the body was that of Wright, who has been missing since July 19, though the Memphis Police Department won't officially comment. Police are referring to their investigation as a "death investigation."

The body was found by someone who called police today.

At the Collierville home of Wright’s ex-wife, Sherra Robinson Wright, white bed sheets covered the windows. A man pulled aside the sheets to answer the doorbell and raised his finger to ask for a moment. Then at 4:15 p.m., sounds of wails and crying rose from inside the house. The man did not return to the door.

Family members, friends and some former University of Memphis basketball players, including Penny Hardaway and Elliot Perry, were gathering near the wooded area near Hacks Cross and Winchester.

Police sources confirmed earlier that they are investigating a 911 hangup call from Wright's cellphone made July 19.

Wright was thought to be carrying some amount of cash when he was last seen leaving his ex-wife’s Collierville home, fueling concerns he may be the victim of foul play, according to a Collierville police report released today.

He recently flew from Atlanta to Memphis to visit friends and his six children, friends said. He was scheduled to drive back to the Atlanta area July 19, with his six children and a friend. He was last seen at about 2 a.m. July 19, leaving his ex-wife’s Whisperwood Drive home. His former wife told police she doesn’t know who he left with or what type of car they were in, according to the missing person’s report.

Police say the investigation is ongoing.

Wright played 13 years in the NBA, including five with the Memphis Grizzlies, after playing two seasons at the University of Memphis.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

RIP.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just read that, sad. Guessing not natural causes at this point.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just awful. RIP Lorenzon.

And in a sad note of macabre, watch out if you were a member of the mid-90's Clips.

Players on those rosters include Bison Dele, Malik Sealy, Rodney Rogers and Wright. More than a little spooky.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

shot over a dozen times according to twitter
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Radio has been talking about this constantly since 4:30ish. All accounts are he was a good guy, but had some around him who were more questionable, such as his ex-wife.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Sad news. I think these guys are much bigger targets than we think.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
shot over a dozen times according to twitter

So, sucide is not likely.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's a sad world where a guy that has earned over $50-million and has six kids doesn't live to be 40-years old. RIP.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Latest version of the story adds new information
According to sources, a 9-1-1 call was made from Wright's cell phone on July 19. A Germantown dispatcher could hear the loud blasts of several gunshots. The cellphone call ended at that point.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very sad, now six kids are without a Father. I hate to be presumptious but I have also read that his ex-wife is somewhat shady, I would hate for this to turn out that she set him up.

One thing I hope young athletes learn at some point is that you need to be really careful about who you associate with.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Very sad, now six kids are without a Father. I hate to be presumptious but I have also read that his ex-wife is somewhat shady, I would hate for this to turn out that she set him up.

That is my exact concern.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
Sgran
High School Varsity

We can only speculate at this point, but it sounds to me like Wright was using his company as a front for a stolen car operation. Shady associates, leaving in the middle of the night with a lot of cash. He was mixed up in something.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:31 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't buy the armed guys showing up story. Bitch had him killed for whatever money he had left.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't buy the armed guys showing up story. Bitch had him killed for whatever money he had left.

And obviously despite my insensitive wording, she was arrested and charged with first degree murder today.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 AM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola, gun was found a month or so ago. Someone else had been charged last week or so. Lo may have been into some shady stuff and probably was horrific with money but seems like a cut and dry life insurance play by the ex wife
Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Story makes a lot more sense now. She got $1 million that was meant for his kids and spent it on fancy cars and homes within a year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone else had been charged last week or so.

A deacon from the church the Wright's attended
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Sounds pretty messed up story.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Update. She is getting up to 30 years but could get out within a decade or so.