Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #451
JPhillips
General Manager

Was it an inheritance issue?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #452
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did someone with claims flee to the HRE and move over that way?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #453
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't see any troops or a battle. Shouldn't have been an inheritance issue. I actually appointed that duke with my new king. It does say the Kaiser has a claim to it and can start an inheritance crisis.

The Kaiser had no presence in Scotland. His only presence is the islands directly to the north of Scotland. That is where he calls the Capitol of the HRE.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #454
Izulde
Head Coach

Crusader Kings II 75% off on Steam, plus the older CK2 DLC is 75% off on Steam, as a celebration of the newest expansion, Legacy of Rome, releasing.

Means CK2 is $10 for as long as the sale runs, which I don't know how long that is.

Gonna pick up Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome, though.

Sword of Islam is $2.50 with the 75% off, Legacy of Rome is $4.99 release price.

There's also the African portraits DLC for $2, plus some other cosmetic DLC like unit sprites and music for SoI/LoR for those interested.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #455
Izulde
Head Coach

Follow up from mckerney in the Game Discounts thread re: Steam sale

Quote:
CK2 is only a daily deal, so it's on sale for about another 11 hours until 1 pm Eastern time on October 17th.

Yeah I know it's cross-posting, but just in case people happen to check one thread but not the other for whatever reason.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #456
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool - I haven't picked up either expansion yet.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #457
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't looked anywhere to read about it, but from my own experience the new DLC seems to break wars between vassals. Every war in my realm turns into a decade plus war of armies standing around doing nothing.

Currently I have two wars going on in my realm that could easily be ended, but the army that is winning has decided to take their troops home and have them standing around doing nothing instead of finishing the war off. I saw it earlier too and that Earl took two of the Duke's holdings in his primary county, retreated his army to his own county, and then returned seven years later to take the final holding. All without disbanding said army.

I've seen it three times in about 80 years of play with the new DLC.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #458
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I haven't looked anywhere to read about it, but from my own experience the new DLC seems to break wars between vassals. Every war in my realm turns into a decade plus war of armies standing around doing nothing.

Currently I have two wars going on in my realm that could easily be ended, but the army that is winning has decided to take their troops home and have them standing around doing nothing instead of finishing the war off. I saw it earlier too and that Earl took two of the Duke's holdings in his primary county, retreated his army to his own county, and then returned seven years later to take the final holding. All without disbanding said army.

I've seen it three times in about 80 years of play with the new DLC.

Ironically, I've seen this without downloading the DLC - wars of stalemates that last 50 years without anything happening. Its not unprecedented, but it is annoying.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #459
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Ironically, I've seen this without downloading the DLC - wars of stalemates that last 50 years without anything happening. Its not unprecedented, but it is annoying.

Yea it is annoying. They shouldn't be stalemates either. I had an Earl stand 1200 troops a county away from a Duke who had 120 troops. He kept them there without pressing the attack long enough for the war score to go from +80% all the way to -100%. Was one of the two that I was talking about that I had going on.

EDIT:

I have another Duke who has two groups of troops that want to meet up. So they keep going to move to the next county(they are one county apart). They then realize they are both moving now and then reset. They have been doing this for three years.

Another Duke joined a crusade. He called up all his troops, loaded them up in ships, and now four years later they still sit in those same ships in port.

The other battle I was talking about seems to have ended with the dreadful Duke of the Isles capturing most of the Duke of Ulster's holdings, but then taking his army back across the Irish sea to stand idle in Argyll rather than finish the war.

I can't accept that this is the same game I was playing before the DLC.

Last edited by dubb93 : 10-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #460
JPhillips
General Manager

This sounds silly.

Quote:
Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion Announced
Pull Up the Drawbridge, Barricade the Gates, the Aztecs are Coming!

New York – October 31, 2012 – Just when Europe thought it was safe from troublesome Eastern foes, a new blood-curdling threat looms off the Western coast in Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion.

In the latest DLC for the critically-acclaimed strategy/RPG Crusader Kings II, Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studios pose the question – what would have happened if the Aztecs invaded 13th Century Europe?

For the first time ever, Paradox Development Studio is introducing a fantasy scenario in their strategy games. Introducing a wealth of new features to appease the angriest of sun gods, the upcoming Crusader Kings II DLC brings the savage, blood drenched Aztec civilization to European shores, determined to wreak carnage on its inhabitants. Cower in fear at the invaders strange gods and rituals including the potential peril of having your vital organs offered up to these vengeful deities in sacrifice. Anything to keep them happy!

It will be survival of the fittest to survive the onslaught of the menacing Mesoamerican warriors, bringing with them exotic and deadly diseases, and an appetite for destruction.

Main Features:
- A new invading threat arrives at a random point in the mid to late game, conquering from the West
- Unique new portraits, on-map shields and units for the great Mesoamerican Menace
- Cower in fear at the Aztec gods: New Aztec culture and religion
- Human Sacrifice! When a province is lost, no-one is safe from the threat of losing their hearts on the obsidian altars
- Survive the terrible disease brought by the pagan oppressors: A new plague from across the Ocean
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #461
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah just saw this. Stupid IMO. The first time they've released a DLC I have zero interest in.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #462
Dutch
"Dutch"

I see what they are doing though. They are just utilizing the Mongul Horde feature in reverse.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #463
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll probably get this anyway, just to use the character designer to create a European who follows the Aztec gods and spread the religion across Europe. (Assuming the Aztec worshipper would be playable. If not, I won't get it.)

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #464
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I think this is cool
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #465
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh my god, the nerd rage on Paradox over the announcement is HILARIOUS. I've laughed so hard my stomach hurts reading that epic 45 page thread.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #466
Tigercat
College Starter

What the hell. I think it is a good idea. Not a good idea to appeal to everyone, but a little bit of strange spice on the side for those that want to experiment. Lots of history buffs that like paradox games probably also like forms of alternative history fiction....

And its a DLC for God's sake. You can just ignore it if you want. Can't believe anyone would go out of there way to fret over it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #467
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

And it will make the mechanics of our Dothraki invasion in the Westeros mod all the better!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #468
Groundhog
Coordinator

This sounds more like a fan mod that I would never play than actual DLC. I'm not nerd raging, I just think it sounds... dumb.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #469
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This sounds more like a fan mod that I would never play than actual DLC. I'm not nerd raging, I just think it sounds... dumb.

Well to be fair, it does give the West something to do in mid-late game besides sitting around being blobby. Fatamids are a danger in the South, Mongols/Golden Horde a threat in the East, but nothing in the West.

Also, looking at some of the events, etc., this is a rather brilliant inversion of the European conquest of the Americas in many respects, especially little events like trading colored beads for land.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #470
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Oh my god, the nerd rage on Paradox over the announcement is HILARIOUS. I've laughed so hard my stomach hurts reading that epic 45 page thread.
if they had made it dragons....

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't think I will pick up this DLC either.

Combat/warfare in this game is not all that great and, overall, pretty dull and boring. I see it as just a necessary evil to expand your empire and get to the fun stuff, the politics and the more RPG-type aspects of the game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #472
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone know why a Crusade won't end. The Pope called a Crusade for France, which has long since been lost to the Muslim nations.

We are currently at 100%, and I'm actually in the lead ATM and would stand to gain the title King of France and all the lands, but the damn guys won't end the Crusade.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #473
PilotMan
Head Coach

Gamers Gate has it today for $10.

Crusader Kings II - Buy and download on GamersGate

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #474
sabotai
General Manager

The Republic DLC announced

Crusader Kings II: The Republic revealed, read our exclusive Q&A | News | PC Gamer
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #475
JPhillips
General Manager

Boo. I was hoping for an alternative history DLC where the Chinese partner with aliens to invade Egypt.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #476
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll still get the Republics DLC to support the game, but man, I'd rather have had pagans.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #477
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Boo. I was hoping for an alternative history DLC where the Chinese partner with aliens to invade Egypt.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #478
MrBug708
Head Coach

Been trying to get Prince and Thane mod to work without crashing, but havent had much luck
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #479
twothree
College Prospect

Never let your ruler lead an army when his wife is pregnant with his only child.

I did. My ruler died in battle and his sister, the current heir to his throne, became my new ruler. The sister who was married off to some distant relative in a far off country. The sister with the really weak stats.

When the child was born he got nothing.

Oh, and a new patch is out.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #480
scooter
High School Varsity

I have a question for the vets here. I'm still fairly new to the game and I have something that I can't find an answer for.

When I click on one of my territories and look at the little box that shows up in the lower left corner, just below the castle in the upper right there is the little icon for my levies. If I mouse over it says something like "915/915" and lists the breakdown of the infantry, cavalry, etc. The little bar is very small though and when I go up to the Military button at the top of the screen, it says that my personal levies are something like 183 (or 20% of what I should have).

How can I raise that number up closer to the 915? Is it my ruler's martial rating? Have I ticked off my marshal? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my ruler is feeling a little underprotected.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #481
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I have a question for the vets here. I'm still fairly new to the game and I have something that I can't find an answer for.

When I click on one of my territories and look at the little box that shows up in the lower left corner, just below the castle in the upper right there is the little icon for my levies. If I mouse over it says something like "915/915" and lists the breakdown of the infantry, cavalry, etc. The little bar is very small though and when I go up to the Military button at the top of the screen, it says that my personal levies are something like 183 (or 20% of what I should have).

How can I raise that number up closer to the 915? Is it my ruler's martial rating? Have I ticked off my marshal? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my ruler is feeling a little underprotected.

I'm going to guess the rest of the 915 belongs to your vassals(add their number to yours and see if you get 915). Your personal levy will be those soldiers that come directly from your lands. The rest of your army, or levy, will come from that of your vassal's lands.

In this instance, with you only controlling 20% of the realms army I would advise you not to piss off your vassals.

If the 915 IS truly your potential personal levy strength then you just need to wait. I'm guessing you probably just fought a war and lost troops. Over time they will replenish. The way you are most likely to take big hits to your current levy is by losing troops to war and/or by disbanding units in foreign lands. ALWAYS bring your troops home before you disband them or you take a huge hit to the actual number that returns home.

EDIT: Actually, without having the game pulled up, I'm going to guess that the numbers aren't going to add because 915 is the vassal levy and 183 is your personal levy. You need to take your vassal's lands if you want to have a powerful personal army. I'm guessing you are a small-time lord at this point? Maybe a Duke? You should probably be in control of ALL of your Earl titles and ALL of your castles in order to get done what you want to get done.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #482
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:

My guess is that your crown authority law is currently set to "low". On the Military screen if you mouse over where it says 183 the hint window or tool tip window that pops up probably says crown law limits you to 20%.

If you press "F4" or click on the second button at the top left (the little gavel) you will bring up the Law screen. If you look at the bottom, the very first item is Crown Authority. My guess is that this is currently set to "low".

To increase that 20% to 40% which will double your levies, you will have to raise crown authority up one level. I don't remember exactly, but I believe you then have to wait a certain amount of time before you can raise crown authority to the next level, increasing from 40% to 60% of your vassels' levies

Last edited by twothree : 01-16-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #483
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone playing Republics?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #484
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
My guess is that your crown authority law is currently set to "low". On the Military screen if you mouse over where it says 183 the hint window or tool tip window that pops up probably says crown law limits you to 20%.

If you press "F4" or click on the second button at the top left (the little gavel) you will bring up the Law screen. If you look at the bottom, the very first item is Crown Authority. My guess is that this is currently set to "low".

To increase that 20% to 40% which will double your levies, you will have to raise crown authority up one level. I don't remember exactly, but I believe you then have to wait a certain amount of time before you can raise crown authority to the next level, increasing from 40% to 60% of your vassels' levies

For more infomation: I'm the Duke of Holland (part of the Holy Roman Empire). I have a vassal that is the Count of Westfriesland. I know I have to keep my vassals happy to get them to give me levies; these are my personal levies. I have another 699 from my vassals. Under the Imperial Laws of the Holy Roman Empire it says Absolute Crown Authority. Under Ducal Laws they are set to feudal levies: normal; feudal taxation:none, city levies, taxation, church levies:normal; church taxation: normal.

I think it has something to do with the Holy Roman Empire Laws. When I mouse-over the Absolute Crown Authority it says something about 80% min levies for burghers, nobles and clergy.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #485
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
For more infomation: I'm the Duke of Holland (part of the Holy Roman Empire). I have a vassal that is the Count of Westfriesland. I know I have to keep my vassals happy to get them to give me levies; these are my personal levies. I have another 699 from my vassals. Under the Imperial Laws of the Holy Roman Empire it says Absolute Crown Authority. Under Ducal Laws they are set to feudal levies: normal; feudal taxation:none, city levies, taxation, church levies:normal; church taxation: normal.

I think it has something to do with the Holy Roman Empire Laws. When I mouse-over the Absolute Crown Authority it says something about 80% min levies for burghers, nobles and clergy.

Yes, the HRE is taking 80% of your personal levies, since you are under them and they are at absolute crown authority.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #486
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Yes, the HRE is taking 80% of your personal levies, since you are under them and they are at absolute crown authority.

Thank you for your help. I'd join the Lower Crown Authority faction, but if we have to go to war for it and I only have 800 men to defend myself against the Holy Roman Empire...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #487
Izulde
Head Coach

Haven't even picked up the expansion yet. No real interest in playing republics, to be honest.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #488
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Haven't even picked up the expansion yet. No real interest in playing republics, to be honest.

I picked up. I'm not real interested either, but anything that might add depth is good. Plus, the GOT update is supposed to use it.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 AM   #489
Izulde
Head Coach

PAGANS!!!! PAGANS!!!!! PAGANS!!!!!

Official announcement of pagan expansion today, with a partial feature list:

Crusader Kings II: Old Gods - Paradox Interactive

Man, I can not believe how excited I am for this expansion to come out.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #490
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, playing as Vikings in England or Russia should be pretty fun. Plus, in Russia youŽd have the long term goal of getting ready for the Mongols in the early 13th century.

I wonder though if youŽd need all other expansion for it too work ? Really donŽt have any ambition to pick of the Republic expansion...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #491
Izulde
Head Coach

No. Each DLC is completely separate.

Also, some other updates. Although the primary focus is on Vikings, there will be unique content for all the pagan religions and Zoroastrianism

Furthermore, it's also been officially confirmed that Mongols will be playable.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #492
Calis
College Starter

I've been without a decent computer for the last year and finally remedied that yesterday, just in time for a pretty good deal on Amazon on game.

Amazon.com: Crusader Kings Pack [Download]: Video Games

That's the base game plus I believe all available DLC/Expansions for ten bucks. Seems like a great deal for any latecomers like myself.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #493
JPhillips
General Manager

9.99 for all that is a hell of a deal.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #494
MrBug708
Head Coach

The fact that rebels have a point is an upgrade in and of itself.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #495
MrBug708
Head Coach

Best line I saw in the paradox thread was

"I take it the Pagans can build weirwoods instead of churches? "
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #496
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I've been without a decent computer for the last year and finally remedied that yesterday, just in time for a pretty good deal on Amazon on game.

Amazon.com: Crusader Kings Pack [Download]: Video Games

That's the base game plus I believe all available DLC/Expansions for ten bucks. Seems like a great deal for any latecomers like myself.

For $5 more:

Amazon.com: Paradox 2012 Ultimate Pack [Download]: Video Games

Both packs are $5 off today only if you have an coupon from buying a digital download from Amazon in the last 6 weeks of 2012. If you do the discount automatically if the coupon is on your Amazon account.

Edit: this pack is out of keys, but the Amazon rep says they'll try to get more keys and expect to by Friday. They plan to extend this deal and the coupon for this item only (all other deals for them expire today).

Last edited by mckerney : 01-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #497
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i really feel like a sucker for paying full price for ck2 when it came out.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #498
mckerney
Coordinator

You can certainly save a lot by not buying games at release when there are deals like this and games are often 50% off within a month or two after release.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #499
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

NOT BAD!!!!!!!

By placing your order, you agree to Amazon.com's privacy notice and conditions of use. You are also agreeing to the Amazon Games & Software Service Terms of Use and Returns Policy.
Order summary
Bundle Download: $9.99
Promotion Applied: -$5.00

Total Before Tax: $4.99
Estimated Tax: $0.00

Order total: $4.99

Please Review and Place Your Order

This bundle includes 23 game downloads:
1. Crusader Kings Complete

2. Crusader Kings II [Download]

3. Crusader Kings II: African Portraits [Download]

4. Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack DLC [Online Game Code]