Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

9 Black Guys Walk Into A Stadium

In 1943 Bill Veeck tried to buy the Philadelphia Phillies. He was denied. The reason? Veeck intended to stock the Phillies with the best players the Negro Leagues had to offer and let them loose on MLB.

The Phillies were eventually sold to a lumber company for half of what Veeck had offered.

This is the story of what could have been, what should have been. What would have happened if Veeck was successful in his quest? What if on opening day, 1944, the Philadelphia Phillies marched 9 black ballplayers onto the field?

This is a Baseball Mogul dynasty. I've created 13 of the greatest Negro League players from the era and put them on the Phillies. They are all rated extremely high, maybe too high, but that's my prerogative. To counter balance things I'm playing the game on the hardest setting, but who knows exactly how hard that is. The idea, more than anything with this dynasty, is to have fun reshaping baseball history.

I wont be too intensive with my stat reporting, just more or less giving general year by year overviews and updates.

After this initial season I'll do no more tinkering with things, everything else will happen as it did, or at least how it does.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Players
SP Satchel Paige
SP Leon Day
SP Hilton Lee Smith
RP Ted Radcliffe
C Roy Campanella
C Joshua Gibson
1B Luke Easter
2B Dick Seay
SS Willie James Wells
3B Ray Dandridge
1B/LF George "Mule" Suttles
RF Monte Irvin
1B/2B/SS Lorenzo "Piper" Davis

Monte Irvin will play CF, allowing Josh Gibson to play RF as well as catch here and there.

All 13 players have agreed to 5 year contracts at $20,000 per year.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

love it...i'll be reading along
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Cool concept
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Love it - reading along!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah you got me in.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
britrock88
Pro Starter

Solid.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought this was going to be a Paula Deen joke.

cool idea though
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

New York Times, January 3rd 1944

New York District Court 4 handed down it's ruling today on the case of Major League Baseball V. Bill Veeck in the matter of the contracts handed out to 13 black ballplayers. The court found insufficient evidence to block or overturn the contracts handed out uniformly to all 13 men, which included $100,000 for 5 years of service time, 2 new cars for each man, and a house per player in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area.

Commisioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis read from a statement on the courthouse steps following the verdict.

"At this time the decision has been made to no longer pursue the injunction we've attempted to levy upon mister Veeck. The courts have had their say, and win or lose it simply isn't worth the time or the money for the commissioners office to further it's attempt at blocking these contracts. Now then if some of these owners wish not to take the field in a major league sanctioned ballgame against this team of black ballplayers I can assure you that they will meet, with swift hand, both fines and suspensions. I will not endorse, nor will I hinder the individual owner who wishes to field the black ballplayer".

It is believed that in the coming time, perhaps as early as today, Landis will step down as commissioner of Major League Baseball in protest of the decision. It is unknown what direction the collective owners of the other 7 National League teams will take regarding the coming season.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Boston Herald, January 25th 1944

In a move widely expected since the January 2nd ruling by a New York District court, not to void the contracts handed out to 13 negro ballplayers by Philadelphia owner Bill Veeck, baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis resigned his post today and will be succeeded by Happy Chandler, who has been elected to the post in a vote of 16-0.

Chandler, a former Governor of Kentucky, resigned his seat in the Senate to take the position. Many feel this will open the door for an appeal in the case of MLB V. Bill Veeck as Chandlers ties in Washington run deep. Some owners appear willing to take the case all to the Supreme Court if necessary to overturn the contracts that would allow black ballplayers onto the Major League fields.

Chandler issued no statement regarding the case in his short meeting with the media earlier today but with Spring training right around the corner and chaos reigning throughout the baseball world, one has to assume that a decision will come shortly.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

Washington Post, February 4th 1944
----------------------------------------------------

No Appeal To Be Sought.
Veecks Team Of Black Players To Take The Field.

In two paragraphs, and to the shock of many around the nation, both in and out of baseball, commissioner Happy Chandler decreed that he would not appeal the decision handed down last month by a New York District court, upholding the contracts handed out to 13 Negro League ballplayers by Philadelphia Phillies owner Bill Veeck.

"I've already done a lot of thinking about this whole racial situation in our country. As a member of the Senate Military Affairs Committee, I got to know a lot about our casualties during the war. Plenty of Negro boys were willing to go out and fight and die for this country. Is it right when they came back to tell them they can't play the national pastime? You know, Bill, I'm going to have to meet my Maker some day. And if He asks me why I didn't let this boy play, and I say it's because he's black, that might not be a satisfactory answer.

If the Lord made some people black, and some white, and some red or yellow, he must have had a pretty good reason. It isn't my job to decide which colors can play big league baseball. It is my job to see that the game is fairly played and that everybody has an equal chance. I think if I do that, I can face my Maker with a clear conscience."

Both Veeck and Brooklyn owner Branch Rickey were on hand during the press conference, but neither man answered questions. It is believed that Rickey has already begun the search for a black player to take a spot on the Dodgers roster.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-25-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

Philadelphia Herald, March 20th 1944

As opening day in baseball creeps closer, so does the inevitable breaking of the color barrier.

Not since Moses Fleetwood Walker in the 1880's, has a player of the black persuasion donned the uniform of a Major League team. All that will change on April 1st in Boston when Bill Veecks Phillies plan to field an entire starting 9 of Negro League stars.

Much has been made about contracts and lawsuits and walkouts and sit ins, but what lies ahead now is simply to play the games. Chandlers edict, handed down last week, that any player or owner who wishes not to take the field against the team from Philadelphia, was met with much more seriousness than the one halfheartedly given by former commissioner Landis on the steps of a New York courthouse less than 3 months ago.

The belief is that any player deciding not to compete against the Phillies will be served with a season long ban, while any owner will face the stiffest of fines.

As of this writing, the belief is that none of the other 7 National League teams will engage in any impropriety, but as the season grows closer and the tensions rise, one does not know what the future holds, even the close future.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-25-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

Thanks for the kind words guys, should start playing/simming the actual games within the next day or two. I played out the first game by hand last night and the results were downright awesome.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

Front Office Gazette
In a stunning display of speed and power, the Phillies simply ran through the Boston Braves in the seasons opening series, sweeping the 3 games in very impression fashion.

Monte Irvin, a renowned Negro League outfielder, led off the opener for the Phillies and made an indelible mark on the games history by sending the very first pitch he saw from Braves ace Ernie White over the center field fence, in excess of 400 feet, for a home run. The rest of the affair carried the same tone as the Phillies never let up on the Boston team. Each Phillie starter, all negro, collected at least one hit, while the team as a whole totaled a whopping 3 home runs and 5 stolen bases.

On the mound it was much of the same as 37 year old Satchel Paige, widely considered one of the all time greats on the mound, finally got to flash his stuff against major league bats in something other than a barnstorming affair. The result was tremendous for Satch as he threw 7.1 innings of one run baseball.

The atmosphere in Boston was electric, both with excitement and fear. But the clashes between the colors were few and far between, one could even say that the two mingled in joyous celebration, not so much at the games outcome, but rather that it was being played at all.
GAME 1: Box Score
Spoiler

Game two was a closer affair but the offensive power from Philadelphia was still on clear display. Lorenzo Davis and Luke Easter each collected 3 hits and the team as a whole stole another five bases. Leon Day struggled through 7 innings but reliever Al Gerheauser picked up the slack, shutting down Boston over the final 2 innings.
GAME 2: Box Score
Spoiler

Game three was an unbalanced a tilt as ever there was. The Phillies lineup scored 12 runs on 12 hits and 4 Brave errors. Meanwhile, on the mound, Phillie pitcher Hilton Smith needed only 116 pitches to blank Boston, scattering 6 hits and 2 walks.
Ray Dandridge and Luke Easter provided the yomans amount of the damage in the middle of the order as they combined to get on base 7 times and drove in 5 runs. One thing is certainly clear, this team of black superstars now has the attention of the entirety of the baseball world.
GAME 3: Box Score
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-26-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Enjoying the idea and the read

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Phillies marched into New Yorks Polo Grounds to take on the formidable Giants, and boy did the Philly boys get a wakeup call. Ted Radclif was bounced from pillar to post in game 1 as the Giants lineup, led by Ducky Medwick and Mel Ott, clobbered the Phillies to the tune of 10 runs, while New York starter Van Mungo tossed a complete game gem, allowing just one run.

Not a team to back down from a fight, the Phils bounced back in games two and three and served the Giants up a plate of their own medicine.

In game two of the series it was 9-0 before the bleachers were even full, and despite a furious, late rally from the G-Men, Philadelphia would hold on to win this wild contest by a 13-9 score behind homers from Monty Irvin and Ray Dandridge.

Game three would be an even more lopsided affair as Phillies ace Satchel Paige earned his 2nd win on the young season while Philly bats knocked out 19 hits and 9 runs. Suttles, Wells and Campanella all had 3 hits a piece for the slugging Phillies.

The Phillies record stands at 5-1 to give them a 1 game lead on the Cardinals of St. Louis and one has to wonder if this offense assembled by Bill Veeck might produce a season for the ages.

Game 4 Box Score
Spoiler

Game 5 Box Score
Spoiler

Game 6 Box Score
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

Going slower than I thought because I'm having too much fun playing out the games.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Phillies stormed their way through April, posting a major league best 20-6 record. Every Phillie regular is above the .300 mark when it comes to hitting, with the exception of Josh Gibson who just can't seem to wake his bat up. Meanwhile on the rubber, Hilton Smith has dazzled to the tune of an ERA under 2. Schoolboy Rowe has gone an impressive 5-0.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah looks like they're gonna wallop all year. Interesting to see how it goes. So much talent.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

40-13 through May, in 1st place by 8.5 games over the Cardinals. A World Series showdown with the vaunted Yankees appears to loom. Dandridge and Irvin are 1st and 3rd in all of baseball in hits. Dandridges 12 homers trails only Ted Williams' 14 dingers.

62-18 through June. Josh Gibson has gone insane and his 21 homers lead the league.

82-24 through July. Gibson and Dandridge are 1,2 in homers with 28 and 21. Irvin is 2nd in hits with 150. The Yankees lead the AL with a 71-36 record.

We ended up cruising to a 118-36 record and won the division by 30 games over the Cubs. The Yankees went 98-56 to win the AL.

Irving, Easter and Dandridge finished 2,3,4 in batting, bested only by Stan Musials .370 average. Josh Gibson hit 37 homers to lead all of baseball while Ray Dandridge knocked in 130 runs to lead the league in RBI. Lorenzo Davis and Monte Irvin were 1/2 in runs scored while Irvin also led baseball with 47 swipes.

Rowe, 23 and Smith, 22 were 1/2 in the league in wins while Smith and Radcliff were both in the top 5 in ERA.

1944 Phillies Team Statistics
Spoiler

The Phillies will challenge the Yankees, champions 2 out of the last 3 years, in the 1944 World Series
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

this is great...but i'd be interested to see the breakdown of some of the players. Based on their stats it looks like Dandridge is playing the way I'd expect Wells to play and vice/versa...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Easter's numbers are sick. Not quite roid-Bonds-ian (.609 in 2004 is just insane to think about) but, seriously, an over .500 OBP

SI

Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Roids!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Suicane75
Coordinator

Phillies Vanquish Vaunted Yankees In 5 Games

In what was hailed as a match up for the ages, turned out to be the same old story for opponents of the black star led Phillies team, as Philadelphia dispatched of the American League champion Yankees in short order, claiming the 1944 world title.

Game one was a close affair, the Yankees even scored first, but when Luke Easter hit a monster home run in the 4th inning to break the tie, you could almost feel the air deflate from a sold out Yankee Stadium crowd. Three additional 7th inning runs off of Yankee ace Red Ruffin, and solid moundship from Ted Radcliff & Schoolboy Rowe, shut down the AL champs as the Phillies rolled to a 6-2 victory, sending a clear message that the Yankees needed to up their game.

Game two was a classic matchup between Hilton Smith and Jim Tobin as each pitcher made quick work of the opposing lineups and saw the game enter the ninth inning in a 2-2 tie. With Dick Seay on 3rd thanks to some dandy base running, and two outs, Phillies all world pinch hitter Ron Northey singled into right field to drive in the go ahead run. Relievers Ray Scarborough & Ken Raffensberger combined to close out the Yankees in the 9th inning and give the Phillies a 2 games to 0 lead heading back to the city of Brotherly Love for games 3, 4 and 5 of the series.

Game 3 was the Yankees last chance to make a stand in the series and neither their bats or their pitching were equal to the task against this star studded Phillies team. Campanella, Irvin and Dandridge all had RBI hits in the first two innings and the Phillies looked liked a heavyweight boxer imposing his will on his opponent. Up 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth, Josh Gibson put the cherry on the Phillies offensive attack with a 2 run single as Yankees pitcher Spud Chandler had no answer to the Phillies offensive attack. Only a ninth inning rally that trimmed the margin from 8-2 to 8-5 made the game look more evenly matched than it was, but this reporter assures you that it was not.

The fans were out in full bloom for the anticipated closeout in game 4 of the World Series but it was not to be, as the Yankees reached down with everything they had and staved off elimination, thanks mostly to ace Red Ruffin, who went the full way and held the Phillies to only two runs. The Yankee offense got to Leon Day early, to the tune of four runs in the first four innings and that was all Ruffin would need to help avoid the sweep and give the Yankees a glimmer of hope.

Game 5 saw Ted Radcliff and Jim Tobin square off on the mound in a game that could either give Philadelphia the title, or send the series back to New York for game 6. The Phillies score first but the Yankees would tie it in the 2nd innings. The 4th inning however, would turn out to be the difference in this contest as Ray Dandridge provided an RBI single that was followed two batters later by Josh Gibson sending a 2 run home run into the deepest recesses of Chibe Park. George Suttles would follow with a homer of his own and just that quick the Phillies owned a 5-1 lead. Bill Dickey would connect for a two run blast of his own in the 7th inning to give the Yankees slight hope but Ted Radcliff would yield no further as he went 8.2 innings before Ken Raffensberger would come into get Bill Dickey to ground out and end the game, thus winning the series for the Phillies.

Monte Irvin shone brightest in the series as he hit over .400 and scored 7 times in the 5 games while Ted Radcliff, marked for bullpen duty before the season began and injuries forced him into the starting rotation, collected two wins in the series.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #25
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 1: BOX
Spoiler

Game 1: LOG
Spoiler
Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 2: BOX
Spoiler

Game 2: LOG
Spoiler

Game 3: BOX
Spoiler

Game 3: LOG
Spoiler
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 4: BOX
Spoiler

Game 4: LOG
Spoiler

Game 5: BOX
Spoiler

Game 5: LOG
Spoiler
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
this is great...but i'd be interested to see the breakdown of some of the players. Based on their stats it looks like Dandridge is playing the way I'd expect Wells to play and vice/versa...

Do you mean ratings wise? I didn't have any stats to go on so I gave them all really good predicted stats as a base and then lowered them all slightly based on age. Remember in 44 Wells is 38 while Dandridge is only 31.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
Suicane75
Coordinator

1944 Final Standings
Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE (1944) W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA New York 98 56 .636 -- .270 88 57 3.68 Cleveland 93 61 .604 5.0 .283 87 47 3.52 Boston 91 63 .591 7.0 .287 145 48 4.11 Washington 83 71 .539 15.0 .281 69 99 3.93 St. Louis 75 79 .487 23.0 .271 87 53 3.72 Detroit 72 82 .468 26.0 .267 82 59 4.17 Philadelphia 58 96 .377 40.0 .260 50 68 4.47 Chicago 46 108 .299 52.0 .260 56 88 4.62 NATIONAL LEAGUE (1944) W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Philadelphia 118 36 .766 -- .297 198 154 3.29 Chicago 88 66 .571 30.0 .268 103 72 3.55 St. Louis 85 69 .552 33.0 .273 140 57 3.75 New York 75 79 .487 43.0 .277 133 35 4.58 Pittsburgh 73 81 .474 45.0 .262 74 60 4.55 Boston 72 82 .468 46.0 .247 94 43 4.66 Brooklyn 54 100 .351 64.0 .272 68 73 4.83 Cincinnati 51 103 .331 67.0 .259 71 60 4.21 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Phillies defeat Yankees, 4-1

1944 Awards
Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE (1944) Cy Young Red Ruffing (NYY) Player of the Year: Ted Williams (BOS) Rookie Of The Year: Leo Wells (CHW) Gold Glove (P): Al Smith (CLE) Gold Glove (C): Buddy Rosar (CLE) Gold Glove (1B): Rudy York (DET) Gold Glove (2B): Pete Suder (PHA) Gold Glove (3B): Johnny Berardino (SLB) Gold Glove (SS): Vern Stephens (SLB) Gold Glove (LF): Bob Johnson (BOS) Gold Glove (CF): Barney McCosky (DET) Gold Glove (RF): Wally Moses (CHW) NATIONAL LEAGUE (1944) Cy Young Hilton Smith (PHI) Player of the Year: Luke Easter (PHI) Rookie Of The Year: Luke Easter (PHI) Gold Glove (P): Claude Passeau (CHC) Gold Glove (C): Clyde McCullough (CHC) Gold Glove (1B): Luke Easter (PHI) Gold Glove (2B): Jimmy Brown (PIT) Gold Glove (3B): Eddie Joost (BSN) Gold Glove (SS): Marty Marion (STL) Gold Glove (LF): Monte Irvin (PHI) Gold Glove (CF): Chuck Workman (BSN) Gold Glove (RF): Chet Ross (BSN)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

1944 Hitting Leaders
Spoiler

1944 Pitching Leaders
Spoiler
Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
Suicane75
Coordinator

The good news is we won the series. The bad news is we lost almost half our operating budget. To that end we had to ship off Schoolboy Rowe and Bill Lee who were costing us close to $100,000, or 1/4 our total payroll. We should be ok without them though but we're still way over budget.

My plan going forward, since I have this on the highest difficulty setting, is to keep plowing through for as long as I can even when these guys retire.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
Suicane75
Coordinator

April: 21-5, Easter is .412, 12HR & 36 RBI. Willie Wells broke his leg and will miss about 2 months, Dick Seay replaces him.

May: 40-13, Hilton Smith 4.52 ERA is struggling some. Easter still over .400. He, Dandridge & Gibson are killing it.

June: 62-19, Luke Easter broke a bone in his wrist, will miss a month, damn. Dandridge tore ligamints in his ankle and will miss the rest of the season, son of a witch. Campanella spent a few weeks on the DL as well. Wells came back and will play 3B while Seay stays at SS.

July: 82-23, Hilton Smith will miss over a month with strained knee ligamints. Josh Gibson and his 38 homers needs a DL stint for a couple of weeks, damn.

August: 105-30, Gibson has 43 homers to lead the league by a mile. Day, Radcliff and Paige are all over 20 wins.

September: We finished the season 122-32 and won the division by 32 games over a Cubs team that won 90 games. Jesus.

There are Phillies cluttering up the leaderboards. Gibson & Easter finished 1-2 in homers with 51 and 36 respectively. Irvin and Suttles were also in the top 10. Easter led the league in hitting at .378, Irvin and Gibson were both also in the top 10. Irvin led the league in hits with 210. Gibson led the league in RBI with 138, Easter was 7th. Irvin led the league in both runs and steals, he and Gibson should share the MVP. Davis, Gibson and Easter were all in the top 10 in runs.

Day (25), Radcliff (24) and Paige (23) were 1-2-3 in the league in wins and all placed in the top 10 in ERA. Same for K's with Day leading the league at 210, I know who's winning the Cy Young.

We will once again face off with the Yankees in the world series as they won the American League by 11 games over Boston with a 105-49 record.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Suicane75
Coordinator

1945 Phillies Hitting Statistics

Code:
1945 Batting Team G AVG AB H 2B 3B HR BB K SB CS R RBI SLG OBP Irvin, Monte PHI 149 .343 612 210 42 12 29 57 118 49 2 156 104 .593 .402 Easter, Luke PHI 114 .378 431 163 40 4 35 82 78 2 4 112 108 .733 .476 Davis, Lorenzo PHI 136 .291 543 158 25 7 24 103 39 38 9 119 89 .495 .402 Gibson, Josh PHI 131 .331 471 156 17 0 51 85 95 4 4 115 138 .692 .435 Seay, Dick PHI 129 .298 473 141 36 5 17 62 58 12 4 100 85 .503 .379 Suttles, George PHI 138 .260 535 139 20 4 26 45 118 14 5 86 97 .458 .314 Campanella, Roy PHI 124 .292 455 133 18 1 15 68 86 3 0 68 83 .435 .385 Dandridge, Ray PHI 59 .409 232 95 13 0 16 39 28 2 0 51 56 .672 .489 Wells, Willie PHI 78 .266 290 77 7 2 2 34 36 11 6 41 22 .324 .347 Northey, Ron PHI 70 .293 222 65 9 2 13 24 25 1 0 38 38 .527 .356 Gustine, Frankie PHI 38 .258 120 31 7 0 2 7 14 1 0 11 18 .367 .302 Miller, Eddie PHI 49 .269 104 28 6 0 1 6 11 4 2 13 15 .356 .313 Wyrostek, Johnny PHI 45 .210 105 22 4 1 0 13 11 0 1 12 5 .267 .294 Seminick, Andy PHI 23 .247 77 19 2 0 5 11 18 2 0 9 19 .468 .359 Day, Leon PHI 30 .154 104 16 4 0 0 3 22 0 0 6 4 .192 .178 Flores, Jesse PHI 21 .278 54 15 1 0 0 5 15 0 0 3 5 .296 .328 Radcliff, Ted PHI 31 .144 97 14 1 0 0 8 30 0 0 7 10 .155 .208 Adams, Buster PHI 21 .149 67 10 2 0 0 6 15 0 0 3 4 .179 .230 Murtaugh, Danny PHI 16 .196 51 10 1 0 0 5 5 1 2 7 4 .216 .268 Paige, Satchel PHI 30 .125 80 10 2 0 0 7 21 0 0 4 10 .150 .189 Edwards, Hank PHI 16 .225 40 9 3 0 1 1 4 0 0 4 8 .375 .244 Smith, Hilton PHI 21 .111 72 8 1 0 0 1 17 0 0 4 4 .125 .123 Christopher, Russ PHI 15 .205 39 8 0 0 0 2 14 0 0 6 2 .205 .244 Antolick, Joe PHI 12 .184 38 7 1 0 0 6 8 1 0 5 2 .211 .295 Jones, Willie PHI 4 .357 14 5 1 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 5 .429 .400 Nahem, Sam PHI 3 .333 6 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333 .333 Scarborough, Ray PHI 37 1.000 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1.000 1.000 Raffensberger, Ken PHI 19 .200 5 1 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 1 0 .200 .333 Gerheauser, Al PHI 8 .333 3 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 .333 .333 Hamrick, Ray PHI 1 .000 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 Hughes, Tommy PHI 4 .000 7 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 .000 .125

1945 Phillies Pitching Statistics

Code:
1945 Pitching Team IP ERA G GS W L SV K BB R/9 Radcliff, Ted PHI 271.0 2.59 31 31 24 4 0 176 55 9.46 Day, Leon PHI 263.0 2.67 30 30 25 3 0 210 59 9.72 Paige, Satchel PHI 253.2 2.87 30 30 23 5 0 171 46 9.33 Smith, Hilton PHI 179.2 3.21 21 21 15 6 0 126 40 9.77 Flores, Jesse PHI 169.0 3.83 21 21 11 7 0 51 62 12.14 Christopher, Russ PHI 110.1 2.85 15 15 11 2 0 43 36 11.50 Scarborough, Ray PHI 50.1 2.86 37 0 6 2 8 16 13 8.76 Hughes, Tommy PHI 28.0 6.43 4 4 1 1 0 9 22 15.43 Raffensberger, Ken PHI 27.1 0.99 19 0 4 0 4 7 8 11.20 Nahem, Sam PHI 16.2 2.70 3 2 2 1 0 6 5 10.26 Gerheauser, Al PHI 16.0 2.25 8 0 0 0 1 6 5 9.56 Karl, Andy PHI 4.0 0.00 3 0 0 0 0 1 4 11.25 Kraus, Jack PHI 2.0 4.50 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 13.50
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You monster! You robbed the Cubs of their last World Series appearance

SI

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You monster! You robbed the Cubs of their last World Series appearance

Yeah, but maybe they actually win one at some point in this universe. Prolly not though.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #36
Suicane75
Coordinator

Phillies Claim Title In A Series For The Ages

In what is being billed as the "8 Game World Series", the Philadelphia Phillies repeated as baseball world champions, winning game seven in 19 innings.

The first game of this rematch of the 1944 fall classic was played in Chibe Park, and saw the defending champions hold serve with a 6-3 win, highlited by a 3 run eight inning that saw Josh Gibson and Luke Easter collect RBI hits to break a 3-3 tie.

Game two saw the champs jump out to a 3-0 1st inning lead off of Yankees starter Dizzy Trout. The Yankees would claw their way back against Ted Radcliff and down a run in the eighth inning, they would plate two off of relieve Russ Christopher to stun the home crowd and send the series back to New York tied. To add insult to injury, 1B Luke Easter was lost for the remainer of the series with a bone bruise on his hip that made it impossible to swing the bat.

The Phillies rebounded in game 3 at Yankee Stadium as Satchel Paige battled Spud Chandler to a 2-2 tie after seven innings. The Phils then broke through in the eighth on a 2 run single from Monte Irvin. They would add two more runs in the ninth on a Josh Gibson homer and A George Suttles double.

Attempting to put the hammer down in game four, the Phils jumped out to a 2-0 lead but Hilton Smith was not himself on this day and the Yankees would storm back in the middle innings to go ahead 4-2 after six and add four more runs over the next two innings and win it 8-3. Charlie Keller was the hitting star on this day for New York as he walloped 2 home runs and drove in 3.

The pivotal game 5 was decided in the bottom of the 7th, when with the game tied at 2, Dimaggio, Gordon and Keller all delivered run scoring hits. Dizzy Trout was phenomenal for the 2nd time in the series as he bested Leon Day to put the Yankees on the verge of the world championship.

The Phillies would jump out in game six, scoring 3 times in the fourth inning off of Yankee starter Bill Harder and took a 4-1 lead into the 9th inning. But after Ted Radcliff allowed the first two batters to reach base, the call to the bullpen was made. The Yankees would load the bases with 1 out and a sacrifice fly by Max West cut the Phillies lead to 4-2. Charlie Keller continued his hot series by doubling in the tying runs to even the game at four. The game stayed tied until the 12th inning, the season on the brink, when Roy Campanella delivered a two out RBI single to score Dick Seay and send the series to a seventh and deciding game.

The seventh and deciding game of the series is already being hailed as an all time great contest. Satchel Paige matched up with Jim Tobin. The game was tied 2-2 after five innings, and little could anyone imagine it would stay that way for the next 14 innings. The Yankees would load the bases in the 8th and the 10th and come away with nothing off of Paige. The Phillies had 1st and 3rd with nobody out in the 12th and could plate the series winning run. The Yankees would again load the bases in the 16th & 18th innings but come away with nothing. Campanella and Suttles led off the 18th with singles, putting runners on the corners without an out but the Yankees survived once more to send the game to a 19th frame. After Jack Kraus set down the Yankees in order in the top of frame, Monte Irvin led off the bottom of the inning against Bill Clemensen and sent a 2-1 pitch deep into the right field bleachers, becoming the first man to deliver a walk off home run to end the World Series.

Irvin, Gibson and Campanella all shined in picking up the slack for downed slugger Luke Easter, while Satchel Paige deliver a stellar 1.89 ERA over 19 innings of postseason work.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #37
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 1: Box & Log
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-01-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #38
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 2: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #39
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 3: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #40
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 4: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 5: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #42
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 6: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #43
Suicane75
Coordinator

Game 7: Box & Log
Spoiler
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #44
Suicane75
Coordinator

1945 FINAL STANDINGS
Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE (1945) W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA New York 105 49 .682 -- .276 112 58 3.12 Boston 94 60 .610 11.0 .272 97 57 3.47 Cleveland 84 70 .545 21.0 .276 86 32 4.21 Philadelphia 79 75 .513 26.0 .263 53 59 3.48 St. Louis 75 79 .487 30.0 .258 68 37 3.96 Detroit 69 85 .448 36.0 .271 60 90 4.32 Washington 57 97 .370 48.0 .254 58 81 4.28 Chicago 53 101 .344 52.0 .261 70 93 4.58 NATIONAL LEAGUE (1945) W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA Philadelphia 122 32 .792 -- .290 237 145 2.96 Chicago 90 64 .584 32.0 .274 109 48 3.76 New York 79 75 .513 43.0 .273 124 37 3.84 St. Louis 72 82 .468 50.0 .272 113 29 4.69 Brooklyn 68 86 .442 54.0 .262 92 104 4.36 Cincinnati 68 86 .442 54.0 .256 68 60 4.33 Pittsburgh 68 86 .442 54.0 .246 85 78 4.40 Boston 49 105 .318 73.0 .240 97 68 4.55 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Phillies defeat Yankees, 4-3

1945 AWARDS
Code:
AMERICAN LEAGUE (1945) Cy Young Allie Reynolds (CLE) Player of the Year: Ted Williams (BOS) Rookie Of The Year: Dave Ferriss (BOS) Gold Glove (P): Max Butcher (DET) Gold Glove (C): Bill Dickey (NYY) Gold Glove (1B): George McQuinn (WSH) Gold Glove (2B): Pete Suder (PHA) Gold Glove (3B): Ken Keltner (CLE) Gold Glove (SS): Lou Boudreau (CLE) Gold Glove (LF): Barney McCosky (DET) Gold Glove (CF): Enos Slaughter (SLB) Gold Glove (RF): Roy Cullenbine (CLE) NATIONAL LEAGUE (1945) Cy Young Leon Day (PHI) Player of the Year: Josh Gibson (PHI) Rookie Of The Year: Ed Lopat (CHC) Gold Glove (P): Claude Passeau (CHC) Gold Glove (C): Roy Campanella (PHI) Gold Glove (1B): Phil Cavarretta (CHC) Gold Glove (2B): Jackie Robinson (BRO) Gold Glove (3B): Dario Lodigiani (BSN) Gold Glove (SS): Damon Phillips (BSN) Gold Glove (LF): Tommy Holmes (BSN) Gold Glove (CF): Stan Musial (STL) Gold Glove (RF): Monte Irvin (PHI)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #45
Suicane75
Coordinator

1945 MLB HITTING STATS
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-01-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #46
Suicane75
Coordinator

1945 MLB PITCHING STATS

Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-01-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #47
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quick note. Jackie Robinson debuted for the Dodgers near the end of the 44 season, getting about 100 AB's, he's now their full time 1B.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
Suicane75
Coordinator

We return the core, almost no changes at all to the major league roster.

April- We went 17-9 and are in a three tie for first with Chicago & New York. George Suttles and Satchell Paige each spent a couple weeks on the DL. Monty Irvin is a machine at the top of the order, a .472 OBP. Gibson & Easter with 7 homers each. Hilton Smith & Leon Day both have ERA's over 5.

May- We finish the month at 38-16 with a half game lead on the Cubs. Roy Campanella partially tears his hamstring and will miss a month. Willie Wells has been having a terrible season and bone chips in his elbow may be the reason why, he'll miss about 3 months. Hilton Smith has a wrist issue that may be the cause of his troubles, he'll miss a month. The lineup is insanely even so far, Irvin keeps on raking. Davis, Gibson & Easter all have 10 homers and Dandridge has 9. The pitching is pretty solid across the board but nothing amazing.

June- We finish June 58-24 and a two game lead on the Cubs but we have a rash of bad injuries. Satchell Paige has a back issue and will miss 3 months, he could return if we make the series but I'm not sure. For the 2nd straight year, Ray Dandridge suffers a season ending injury, this time to his leg. Son of a bitch, Luke Easter reinjures the same hip he hurt in the world series and is done for the year, this is really bumming me out. For the love of heck, Frankie Gustine, our replacement 3B will miss about a month. We're gonna call up a kid down in A ball named Willie Jones, he's only 20 but he's got skills, we'll give him the job.

Irvin, Davis, Suttles and Gibson are all raking at the top of the order but after that it's getting very murky. Hilton Smith still can't find his grove and only Leon Day at 2.96 and 12 wins is looking like a top flight pitcher, after him our rotation is very pedestrian. A 3rd straight National League pennant is not a sure thing at all.

July- We end the month 76-31 with a slight 1.5 game lead on the Cubs. Willie Jones, who has been holding his own, has an Achilles issue and will miss three weeks, mercy. Thankfully Frankie Gustine is ready to come back. Willie Wells also returns and reclaims the SS spot from a struggling Dick Seay. Gibsons 33 homers lead the league. Campanella is really struggling this year and has not developed the way I thought he would. The pitching continues to be borderline pedestrian.

August- We're 92-43 with a 3 game lead on the Cubs. Frankie Gustine sprained his ankle just as Willie Jones is healthy so the two will switch DL spots.

September- We finished the year with a "down" record of 108-46 but pulled away and won the pennant by 12 games over the Cubs. Satchell Paige returned at the end of the year and made a start and he'll be in the postseason rotation, hopefully he's well rested. Irvin led the league in hits again with 219 and runs with 157, Davis was third with 124. Gibson led the league in homers with 44, edging out Ralph Kiner and his 43 bombs. Irvin and Suttles placed in the top 10 in homers as well. Suttles placed 4th and Gibson 7th in RBI while Irvin and Davis were 2-3 in steals, way behind George Case and his 67. Leon Day placed in the top 10 in ERA and K's while Ted Radcliff led the league with 21 wins.

The Yankees and Red Sox finished the season tied for 1st in the AL and met in a 1 game playoff in Boston where the Red Sox won 2-1 to advance to the World Series.

1946 Phillies Hitting
Code:
1946 Batting Team G AVG AB H 2B 3B HR BB K SB CS R RBI SLG OBP Irvin, Monte PHI 140 .369 593 219 45 10 35 69 112 34 5 157 80 .656 .438 Suttles, George PHI 133 .327 544 178 27 5 28 39 89 25 8 91 119 .550 .372 Davis, Lorenzo PHI 141 .303 568 172 30 6 22 86 48 33 6 124 95 .493 .395 Gibson, Josh PHI 139 .277 528 146 24 1 44 76 102 2 2 95 109 .576 .368 Northey, Ron PHI 105 .286 378 108 17 2 13 41 45 1 0 54 61 .444 .355 Easter, Luke PHI 73 .347 277 96 19 4 14 37 36 2 2 61 63 .596 .428 Dandridge, Ray PHI 74 .312 295 92 17 1 13 42 46 1 0 48 64 .508 .396 Campanella, Roy PHI 97 .236 352 83 12 3 11 54 74 0 2 42 48 .381 .341 Wells, Willie PHI 79 .227 282 64 8 3 5 22 45 3 3 34 23 .330 .282 Seminick, Andy PHI 60 .255 192 49 7 2 4 32 42 1 0 25 23 .375 .370 Jones, Willie PHI 51 .249 177 44 13 0 3 28 19 2 2 21 17 .373 .356 Seay, Dick PHI 75 .184 234 43 11 1 2 28 24 5 2 30 17 .265 .269 Gustine, Frankie PHI 45 .336 116 39 12 0 0 15 8 2 3 18 7 .440 .412 Edwards, Hank PHI 62 .258 120 31 6 2 3 13 15 2 1 22 17 .417 .326 Miller, Eddie PHI 56 .230 100 23 6 0 1 9 5 0 2 11 11 .320 .304 Radcliff, Ted PHI 32 .186 97 18 1 0 0 4 20 1 0 6 3 .196 .218 Day, Leon PHI 30 .143 91 13 3 0 0 1 27 0 0 5 5 .176 .152 Wyrostek, Johnny PHI 27 .213 47 10 2 0 1 3 4 0 0 6 12 .319 .255 Beazley, Johnny PHI 24 .161 62 10 2 1 0 2 28 0 0 8 10 .226 .179 Smith, Hilton PHI 22 .143 63 9 2 0 0 3 16 0 0 0 7 .175 .179 Ulisney, Mike PHI 6 .400 20 8 2 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 4 .500 .455 Murtaugh, Danny PHI 23 .117 60 7 1 1 0 3 7 0 2 4 9 .167 .154 Flores, Jesse PHI 30 .082 85 7 4 0 0 2 19 0 0 1 6 .129 .103 Paige, Satchel PHI 12 .162 37 6 1 0 0 3 8 0 0 3 12 .189 .220 Ennis, Del PHI 3 1.000 3 3 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 4 2.333 1.000 Schemer, Mike PHI 4 .400 5 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 .400 .333 Scarborough, Ray PHI 43 .333 3 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 .333 .500 Gerheauser, Al PHI 12 .000 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 Karl, Andy PHI 14 .000 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 Nahem, Sam PHI 7 .000 7 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 .000 .000

1946 Phillies Pitching
Code:
1946 Pitching Team IP ERA G GS W L SV K BB R/9 Radcliff, Ted PHI 269.1 3.98 32 32 21 8 0 129 76 11.76 Day, Leon PHI 261.1 2.96 30 30 17 7 0 174 57 9.85 Flores, Jesse PHI 236.1 4.15 30 30 14 11 0 74 72 12.53 Smith, Hilton PHI 189.0 3.71 22 22 12 7 0 112 31 10.05 Beazley, Johnny PHI 182.0 4.75 24 24 14 5 0 75 116 14.88 Paige, Satchel PHI 106.0 3.14 12 12 11 0 0 73 21 10.61 Scarborough, Ray PHI 60.0 3.00 43 0 9 5 9 28 18 10.20 Nahem, Sam PHI 27.2 3.58 7 4 1 0 0 8 11 12.04 Karl, Andy PHI 24.0 2.63 14 0 3 0 3 9 5 9.75 Gerheauser, Al PHI 18.1 4.42 12 0 4 1 2 5 7 12.76 Raffensberger, Ken PHI 11.0 6.55 10 0 2 2 0 3 0 16.36 Kraus, Jack PHI 2.0 0.00 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0.00
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Suicane75
Coordinator

1946 World Series

No big write up here, moving quick. We lost the first two games in Boston but came back to win four in a row, including an extra innings thriller in game five. Irvin and Gibson were the stars and Paige allowed only a Williams homer in tossing a complete game in the clinching game 6.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #50
Suicane75
Coordinator

1946 MLB HITTING STATISTICS

Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.