Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

The New Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers is...

Mike Tomlin

A pretty big upset, as I (and most) thought it would be Whisenhunt or Grimm. The Rooneys seem to know what to do when it comes to picking head coaches, as the last two the chose lasted a combined 34 years and won 5 Super Bowls, so they will get the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-20-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... that is a surprise.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Russ Grimm looking good in prehire.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Russ Grimm looking good in prehire.

You should get your edit button removed.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

It will be real interesting to see what kind of changes take place for the Steelers next season.

I'm guessing Tomlin will want to run a 4-3 front with the Cover-2, so there will be some major personnel adjustments, since the Steelers have run the 3-4 for so long. On offense, WR coach Bruce Arians was expected to be the offensive coordinator, but I suspect (and actually hope) that Tomlin has someone else in mind. I bet we will see a number of current Steelers' assistants coaching for the Cardinals, under Whisenhunt, next season.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

ESPNEWS is saying that Tomlin has said it is not true.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd post it here..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07018/754788-66.stm

Quote:
Tomlin, 34, is NFL's rising coaching star

Thursday, January 18, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lake Fong, Post-Gazette
Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator of the Vikings, talks to the media after his second interview with the Steelers on Tuesday.
Click photo for larger image.
More Coverage:
Grimm says he is ready for Steelers' top coaching job

When the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were looking for a secondary coach to replace Herman Edwards in 2001, coach Tony Dungy brought in more than a dozen candidates to interview for the position. Most had experience coaching in the National Football League. But not all of them.
The last person to interview for the position was Mike Tomlin, a 29-year-old assistant coach from the University of Cincinnati. Not only had Tomlin never coached in the NFL but he also had only six years as an assistant coach in college.
None of that mattered to the Buccaneers.
"When we met him, we all kind of looked at each other," said Monte Kiffin, Tampa Bay's longtime defensive coordinator. "You could feel the room come alive. When we put him on a plane and sent him home, we all said, 'That's our guy.' John Lynch was sitting in the room with us, he's been to four Pro Bowls, and he told me later, 'I can't believe this guy. He's awesome.' "
"Half the players were older than him," said Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who was Tampa Bay's defensive line coach at the time. "But the decision wasn't even close."
And so began the meteoric ascent of Mike Tomlin, one of three finalists to replace Bill Cowher as head coach of the Steelers.
His star is rising so fast that those who know him believe he will be an NFL head coach soon, if not this year, almost certainly by 2008. Included in that group of admirers are the members of the Rooney family who, in this instance, matter most -- team chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II.
Tomlin bowled them over in his first interview last week, just as he seems to do with everyone who comes in contact with him. He was the first of the three finalists to have a second interview with the Steelers.
"To me, the No. 1 thing you want, if you're running an organization, is someone with character and integrity and a family guy at the very top of your club," Marinelli said yesterday from his office in Detroit. "You see that with Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards, and he has the same character. There are no character flaws. That's all you want. Now you add in something else like his football knowledge and you got something special."
Tomlin, 34, spent five seasons with the Buccaneers before leaving last year to become defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. After just one season with the Vikings, he is on the fast track to becoming a head coach, despite his tender age and limited experience.
The Vikings ranked eighth in total defense last season and led the NFL in rush defense. Like the Steelers, they did not allow a 100-yard rusher in 2006. They were the only NFL teams to accomplish that feat. In a Dec. 10 game against Marinelli's Detroit team, the Vikings held the Lions to minus-3 yards rushing, the lowest total by an NFL team in the past 45 years.
"One of the things you noticed right away was he was eager to learn and how much confidence he has in what he's doing," Marinelli said. "That comes from intelligence. He's an extremely, extremely bright guy. That confidence allows you to be demanding. He has all those skills. Soon as someone meets him, they come away with that impression."
Age doesn't seem to be a problem for Tomlin.
He is the same age as Cowher and Chuck Noll when they were hired by the Steelers. But he is also young enough that one of the players in the Vikings' secondary -- safety Darren Sharper -- was his teammate at William & Mary.
When Cowher was hired by the Steelers in 1992, he was the same age as right tackle Tunch Ilkin.
"He has great people skills, great relationships with his players," Kiffin said. "But there's a fine line in there where you're going to let them know you're going to do it my way. He can do that."
Tomlin was a three-year starter at William & Mary and finished his career with 101 catches, 2,053 yards and 20 touchdowns. As a wide receiver, he was a speed player who could outrun and outjump Division I-AA defenders.
But he never played professional football, opting to become a coach a year after graduation.
"When he told me he wanted to pursue coaching, I said great, coaching needs people like you," William & Mary coach Jimmye Laycock said yesterday.
"I'm not surprised he's in this position. Mike is a genuine good person who happens to be a good football coach."
"I had a lot of respect for him, which is hard for me to say being a defensive player and him being a wide receiver," said Jason Miller, a Canonsburg native who was a linebacker at William & Mary when Tomlin was a wide receiver. "Linebackers don't have a lot of respect for offensive players. But he wouldn't take any nonsense from any defensive back."
Added Miller: "He was always a motivator on the sideline and in the locker room. He never let people get down. What I enjoyed about him, he always had a joke or a smile on his face. He took things light-hearted ... until he gets on the field."
Tomlin spent one season at Virginia Military Institute in 1995, another as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis and two years as wide receivers coach at Arkansas State. At Memphis and Arkansas State, he worked with Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler.
When he went to Cincinnati in 1999, Tomlin switched sides of the ball, leaving the offense and becoming the Bearcats' secondary coach. Along the way, he gained admirers with his defensive knowledge, displaying an understanding not usually befitting a former wide receiver.
"Tony Dungy was a quarterback who was a mastermind in defense," Marinelli said. "I was an offensive lineman who became a defensive line coach. You see that happen a lot. Players trust him. That's why he's special."
And that's why he's seemingly on a fast track to becoming a head coach in the NFL, perhaps with the Steelers.
"It's not necessarily what you do from an X's and O's standpoint, but how you do it, what playing winning football is all about, not just inside the white lines but outside the white lines," Tomlin said.
"Coaches, in a lot of ways, whether you're a head coach, a coordinator or a position coach, are somewhat of a life coach. You have to be prepared to do the things that come with the job. If you're going to instruct men inside the white lines, you have to understand what outside the white lines affects what they do."

Guess I might have to start rooting for the Steelers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It will be real interesting to see what kind of changes take place for the Steelers next season.

I'm guessing Tomlin will want to run a 4-3 front with the Cover-2, so there will be some major personnel adjustments, since the Steelers have run the 3-4 for so long. On offense, WR coach Bruce Arians was expected to be the offensive coordinator, but I suspect (and actually hope) that Tomlin has someone else in mind. I bet we will see a number of current Steelers' assistants coaching for the Cardinals, under Whisenhunt, next season.

If Tomlin's a good coach, he wont touch the 3-4 that the steelers are playing now. Their talent is built around a 3-4, and he simply doesnt have the players to play a 4-3.

He may do what Bellichek did though, and start drafting towards a 4-3 as the current starters get older.(bellicheck didnt switch NE to a 3-4 until 2003)
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd post it here..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07018/754788-66.stm

Guess I might have to start rooting for the Steelers .

Is it just me, or does this read very much like an assesment of Barack Obama?

If Tomlin does get the gig, then good for him. He did wonders putting together a defense in Minnesota last year with many players who did absolutely nothing in their careers. The best coaches are the ones who can take lemons and make a tasty lemonade. Too many take lemons and try to turn it into Diet Raspbury Chocolate Moose Dr. Pepper.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Critch
lolzcat

You know you're getting old when the head coaches look young.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

Take two...

According to ESPN.com, at least.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Interesting that Mort is reporting that since:

Quote:
"It is untrue," Mr. Tomlin told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Interesting that Mort is reporting that since:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm

I think the Post-Gazette article was from much earlier today. Tomlin must've talked to the Rooney's later today.

Interesting that they are going another direction. I think the Steelers prefer a young energetic coach. It worked the last two times.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

According to the news ticker on the front page, the story was updated at 6:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
Synovia
High School Varsity

Alabama reported that they weren't hiring Saban after the news leaked, and he denied he'd interviewed with them....

So I'm loathe to believe Tomlin or the steelers.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #16
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Good point.

I actually think that Tomlin will be named the next coach. I don't see SI and ESPN both running with this story unless they were sure. It's going to be interesting to see how some in Yinzer nation take to having a black coach.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #17
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Well, this is getting pretty crazy. Tribune Review in Pittsburgh says Grimm offered and accepted job:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trib
Russ Grimm has been offered and has accepted the Steelers' head coaching position, a source in Pittsburgh confirmed late Saturday.

Grimm, 47, succeeds Bill Cowher, who coached the Steelers for 15 seasons before resigning Jan. 5. The hiring of Grimm will be announced Monday at a news conference.

ESPN and SI.com, Sports Illustrated's Web site, reported yesterday that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been chosen to replace Cowher.

An NFL source confirmed yesterday that Tomlin had not heard from the Steelers and no contract negotiations had taken place.

hxxp://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_489602.html

I don't know what to believe. I was excited about Tolmin, but can't say I'd mind Grimm either. Plus, if they waited this long already you would think they would wait until later today to see if the Bears win or not to see if they can give Rivera a 2nd interview.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #18
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Hire Grimm dammit, leave Tomlin in Minnesota for another season. Then he can probably take over when they fire Childress.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #19
SteelerFan448
High School JV

We won't know until there is a PC. Everyone is trying for the breaking story. If the Bears lose, it wouldn't surprise me if Rivera still got an interview, contrary to all of these reports.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We look like the Raiders right now..... People are laughing at us.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Earlier in the evening, Mort was on ESPN saying it was definitely Tomlin, but there was confusion because Rooney hadn't told Tomlin that he was the guy yet? Seems rather odd that the coach wouldn't know he was hired.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-21-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #22
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Nah, it's still not even as bad as the Dave McGinnis fiasco with the Bears a few years back.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:

Why? The Steelers aren't saying anything. It's not like there has been an official announcement without informing the coach that they want him or that they have waffled from one guy to another. To, me the Steelers stone silence is making guys like Mort and John Clayton look bad for running with an unsubstantiated report. We'll know who the new coach is once we see Art II speak. For now, he and Dan and the Steelers PR director are silent.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #24
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:

Because the media is reporting something that hasn't happened yet?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Way off from the Raiders.

It sounds like we have three finalists that would like the job (Grimm, Tomlin, and Rivera). The Raiders have people dropping out of consideration, left and right.

I kind of wanted the continuity of Grimm before yesterday, but now I am intrigued by Tomlin. Interested to see how Tomlin might shake things up a bit, since there is still a lot of talent from the Super Bowl team.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #26
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

ESPN now reporting that Tomlin will be named HC.

It might change though.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm sure the NFL probably doesn't want this to be announced in the wake of today's games, that's all.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
Swaggs
Coordinator

Tribune-Review seems to be sticking by their story of Grimm being the guy.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #29
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I say let Grimm and Tomlin battle it out in a cage match.

Loser leaves town.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

The Post-Gazette is now saying that Tomlin will be hired.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm
Old 01-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #31
14ers
High School Varsity

I still think it is a shame the Steelers could not come up with the money and meet Cowher's contract offer.

I heard Art II, is a major scrooge.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm laughing at the Steelers because of this. Listen, someone involved with the team is leaking information to the media. If the leaks can't get the information right, who knows what the hell is really going on in the Steelers' offices?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
I still think it is a shame the Steelers could not come up with the money and meet Cowher's contract offer.

I heard Art II, is a major scrooge.

I'm a very big fan of Cowher, but you could tell he was burnt out this season. I'd rather have someone a little more "hungry" after this past season.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #34
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm laughing at the Steelers because of this. Listen, someone involved with the team is leaking information to the media. If the leaks can't get the information right, who knows what the hell is really going on in the Steelers' offices?

If this Tomlin-Grimm stuff is all a ruse and we name Chan Gailey head coach, I am turning in my terrible towel.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #35
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
Why? The Steelers aren't saying anything. It's not like there has been an official announcement without informing the coach that they want him or that they have waffled from one guy to another. To, me the Steelers stone silence is making guys like Mort and John Clayton look bad for running with an unsubstantiated report. We'll know who the new coach is once we see Art II speak. For now, he and Dan and the Steelers PR director are silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Ding! ESPN and SI weren't running reports using the pizza delivery guy as the source -- it was someone with the team. So someone was telling the media what was happening, then other people in the team were denying it and in fact saying things that at face value appear to be untrue.

It's an ugly way for whoever gets the job to enter ... and following Cowher was already going to be tough enough.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #36
MikeVic
Head Coach

So, I saw on a sports channel here when I woke up that the Steelers named a whole bunch of staff. Is this confirmed, and if so... does anyone know anything about them?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
MikeVic
Head Coach

http://news.steelers.com/article/73560/

Monday, January 29, 2007
Steelers Promote Two Coaches, Add Six New Members to Staff

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers announced today that the team has promoted two coaches and made several additions to its coaching staff, effective immediately.

The Steelers announced that Bruce Arians has been promoted to offensive coordinator after spending the past three seasons (2004-06) coaching the team's receivers. Arians, who has been coaching in the NFL or at the collegiate level since 1975, was previously an offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns (2001-03), Alabama (1997) and Mississippi State (1993-95). He was the head coach at Temple from 1983-88.

The team announced another promotion within their current coaching staff when they named Ray Horton defensive backs coach. Horton had spent the past three seasons (2004-06) as the Steelers' assistant defensive backs coach. Prior to joining the Steelers, Horton was the defensive backs coach for the Cincinnati Bengals (1997-01) and Detroit Lions (2002-03).

Six new coaches have joined the Steelers' staff including Ken Anderson (quarterbacks), Randy Fichtner (wide receivers), Bob Ligashesky (special teams), Kirby Wilson (running backs), Larry Zierlein (offensive line) and Amos Jones (assistant special teams).

"I think we have put together a staff of good people who are also good football coaches," said Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin. "They are all good communicators who will help make sure our players understand exactly what is expected of them. I look forward to working with them all on a daily basis."

Anderson, 57, enjoyed a 16-year playing career at quarterback with the Cincinnati Bengals (1971-86). He joined Cincinnati's coaching staff in 1993 and spent 10 seasons as the team's quarterbacks coach (1993-95, 2001-02) and offensive coordinator (1996-00). Anderson joined the Jacksonville Jaguars' coaching staff in 2003, where he coached the team's quarterbacks for four seasons (2003 and 2005-06) and also coached wide receivers in 2004.

Fichtner, 43, spent the last six seasons (2001-06) as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at the Memphis, where he had also previously coached from 1990-93. Prior to joining Memphis for the second time, Fichtner was the offensive coordinator at Arkansas State (1997-00) and the wide receivers coach at his alma mater Purdue (1994-96). He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Purdue (1985-86) and Michigan (1986-87), before joining Southern California as a volunteer coach in 1988. In 1989, Fichtner earned his first full-time coaching position when he coached tight ends at UNLV.

Ligashesky (lig-a-SHES-kee), 44, is a Pittsburgh native who is entering his 23rd season as a coach and his fourth in the NFL. He was the St. Louis Rams' special teams coach from 2005-06 after entering the NFL in 2004 as assistant special teams coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Ligashesky spent 19 years coaching collegiately, most recently at Pitt, where he was the tight ends/special teams coordinator (2000-03). He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Wake Forest (1986) and Arizona State (1986-88). Ligashesky then coached linebackers/special teams at Kent State (1989-90) and Bowling Green (1991-98) before also assuming the role of assistant head coach at Bowling Green in 1999.

Wilson, 45, joins the Steelers with 19 years of coaching experience on the college and pro levels. He has coached running backs for the Arizona Cardinals (2004-06), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-03), Washington Redskins (2000) and New England Patriots (1997-99). Wilson began his coaching career in 1985 at Pasadena College where he coached wide receivers, and has also coached at Los Angeles Southwest College (1989-90, quarterbacks/wide receivers), Southern Illinois (1991-92, linebackers/passing game coordinator), Wyoming (1993-94, secondary), Iowa State (1995-96, running backs) and Southern California (2001, wide receivers).

Zierlein (ZEER-line), 61, spent 2006 as offensive line coach of the Buffalo Bills after holding the same position with the Cleveland Browns from 2001-04. He has also coached offensive lines on the collegiate level at Cincinnati (1997-00), Tulane (1988-90, '95-96), Louisiana State (1993-94) and Houston (1978-86). From 1997-92 he was the offensive coordinator/line coach for the N.Y./N.J. Knights of the World League of American Football (WLAF), and an assistant coach with the Washington Commandos of the Arena League in 1987.

Jones, 47, most recently coached special teams/outside linebackers at Mississippi State (2004-06). Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Jones coached tight ends/special teams at James Madison (2003) and running backs/special teams at Cincinnati (1999-02). Jones began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Alabama from 1981-82, and returned to the Crimson Tide to coach special teams from 1990-91. He also coached tight ends (1983-85) and defensive line (1986-88) at Temple, was the kicking game coordinator at Pitt (1992) and coached linebackers at Tulane (1995-96). Jones spent 1997 coaching with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League (CFL), and has also worked in the high school ranks in Alabama (1989), Florida (1993-94) and Louisiana (1998).

The remainder of the Steelers coaching staff will continue to work in their previous capacities, including defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, defensive line coach John Mitchell, linebackers coach Keith Butler, tight ends coach James Daniel, defensive assistant Lou Spanos and offensive assistant Matt Raich.

Last edited by MikeVic : 01-30-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: too many blank spaces when I copied&pasted
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #38
Gotee7
n00b

I think Tomlin is a good fit. Young, hardnosed and a good coach. Same things being said here were being said about Cowher 15 years ago. I personally am glad Cowher is gone. I think he got WAYYYY to conservative and was lucky to win the Superbowl against the Seahawks. I grew up in Pittsburgh and look forward to Tomlin bringing another SB!!
Gotee7 is offline   Reply With Quote