Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

AMC's new murder mystery series "The Killing"

AMC's newest series, the murder mystery "The Killing," debuted last night with a two hour premiere. Did anyone catch it? I liked it, it was very slow and atmospheric but I thought they did a great job setting the tone for the season. I read that each episode covers a single day in the investigation and the timing seemed to work pretty well in the first two episodes. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I recorded it, have high hopes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

From all the reviews i've read you have to watch at least the first three episodes before things get moving.I watched the first 2 episodes yesterday and thought they laid out some decent groundwork.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

I set the DVR to pick up a rerun later this week, I'll give it a shot.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AMC has it online for free, in case someone missed it/didn't tape it.
Watch the Premiere of AMC’s “The Killing” Online

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good debut, 2.7m total viewers (4.7m including 2x encores). That's 2nd highest series debut in AMC history, albeit only about half what Dead did.

AMC’s “The Killing” Premiere Averages 2.7 Million Viewers
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Will this be airing again? I had not even heard of it but looks interesting. Don't care to watch online but will if no other options are available.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The pilot is free on iTunes, so i don't think it would be particularly hard to download and transfer to a thumb drive and watch on your 360
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Will this be airing again? I had not even heard of it but looks interesting. Don't care to watch online but will if no other options are available.

If it's anything like AMC's other shows it will be on at least a few more times before next episode. Do you have On Demand?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I do but it looks like it's on the schedule a few more times. Putting it on the DVR right now. Looks a little Twin Peaks-ish.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them - will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i didn't have much hope when i turned it on. didn't think i'd like it.....

but it really drew me in, and i was pleasantly suprised by the depth of it...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Just watched the first (2?) episode...it was 2 hours and so far I am really liking it, can't wait to watch the next one tomorrow night
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Liked the first episode(s). They are replaying it at 8, and then the new episode at 10, for those who wanted to watch but missed it the other night.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
whomario
Pro Starter

thanks for the tip for this series, very promising start. Really liked the setting.

If anyone´s not aware, it´s sort of a remake of a danish series that has been pretty good and is currently in it´s third season : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_(Danish_TV_series)

hope the us version focuses more on the crimes and doesn´t get as much into local politics and stuff like that (the one weak spot in the original imo)

Last edited by whomario : 04-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I watched the first two episodes and I am already drawn in. I must admit I had teared up a little when they found her.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just finished watching the first 2 hours. Was better than I expected. Most promising pilot I've seen since Breaking Bad.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
samifan24
Pro Starter

Pretty good third episode tonight. I know it's only been three episodes but it does feel like the writers will give answers at a reasonable pace, the lack of which really hurt Rubicon in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who's everyone got as the killer? Teacher is too much of a red herring IMO. I'm going with the guy who works with the Girl's dad. He seems to eager to enact justice IMO.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
StrangeWay
n00b

One of my absolute favorite shows right now. I think her dad's friend might be the killer.
StrangeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Is this a remake of the Swedish series? I saw a 20 episode series about two years ago by this name. Excellent series!

Edited:

Just looked it up on IMDB. It is. Keep on watching. It's riveting despite the length (and the version I watched was subtitled). When I watched it I didn't know how many episodes there were and switched on every week expecting it to be the last episode. But it holds the suspense right the way through.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWay View Post
One of my absolute favorite shows right now. I think her dad's friend might be the killer.

That was my thinking. Really just based on picking the lower profile guy. I wouldn't be shocked if they focus on him then clear him.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Who's everyone got as the killer? Teacher is too much of a red herring IMO. I'm going with the guy who works with the Girl's dad. He seems to eager to enact justice IMO.

This is a good question. Yeah I am going to go with him as well. They also say killers like to stay close to investigations so he is numero uno on my list.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
Is this a remake of the Swedish series? I saw a 20 episode series about two years ago by this name. Excellent series!

Edited:

Just looked it up on IMDB. It is. Keep on watching. It's riveting despite the length (and the version I watched was subtitled). When I watched it I didn't know how many episodes there were and switched on every week expecting it to be the last episode. But it holds the suspense right the way through.

Apparently there is a different killer in the US version than there was in the swedish version.Just to keep things under wraps.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

Knowing nothing about the danish series I would assume someone in the political arena. If that doesn't end up tied heavily back into the murder then its a very very weird side plot.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Howard Schultz killed the girl. All the basketball imagery in Seattle makes me chuckle.

I agree about the political side plot, however, I think the mayoral race is just there in order to frame the series cause otherwise 13 episodes would be too many.

How did the mayoral canidate's wife die?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #27
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Great episode - I really think the heart of the show right now is just the parents and the slow motion horribleness of their grief for the daughter. The dad, who is trying to be strong for his wife, falling apart in private was just really tough to watch.

Definitely a show I can't wait to watch each week, along with Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-26-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Apparently there is a different killer in the US version than there was in the swedish version.Just to keep things under wraps.

Excellent! I can now look forward to this new series being shown over here soon.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Spoiler
Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #30
Radii
Head Coach

really good epsiode last night. I agree with Doug, they're making it look really obvious at this point in the story.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

Just watched it. The series was starting to lose me, but this episode was great.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #32
samifan24
Pro Starter

I have a question: is this show designed to be multiple seasons? It doesn't seem like there's any way that they can drag the current case out that long but could tackle a different case each season. I know the Danish show on which this show is based on went a few seasons so I'm betting that's the plan for now.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

Was just chatting with a buddy in more detail on this... 13 episode season so what like 7 more episodes to go? What can reasonably happen such that there are 7 hours left to resolve this story without some kind of crazy '24' style twist that really dumbs things down a lot and makes it a lot less watchable?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #34
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Was just chatting with a buddy in more detail on this... 13 episode season so what like 7 more episodes to go? What can reasonably happen such that there are 7 hours left to resolve this story without some kind of crazy '24' style twist that really dumbs things down a lot and makes it a lot less watchable?

I was actually talking to my girlfriend about that after we watched it last night. It worries me, because it's been a great show- and as it stands now they are clearly pointing us in one direction, and with good cause. If they keep going down this road, then at the last minute say it was the janitors cousin's friend and leave us hanging on all the other plot lines and how it ties in.

Some thoughts-
Spoiler

I just like to put my thoughts in spoiler tags incase anyone stops in who hasnt' caught up yet

Last edited by Doug5984 : 05-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

Quoting some of doug's stuff within the spoiler tags:

Spoiler
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Something else that bugged me... isn't an eyewitness that places the girl at the house on the night of the murder enough for a warrant?! They already have a chemical in the house also in her tox panel plus have caught the guy in a couple lies about events from that night. The second a neighbor says "yeah she was here that night" don't you drop everything and get a warrant and search the house ASAP?

That bugged me quite a bit when watching the last episode.

Last edited by Radii : 05-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
Landshark44
High School Varsity

who was the guy at the funeral that ignored the sister when she said "hello"?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
who was the guy at the funeral that ignored the sister when she said "hello"?

I believe that was the guy who the dad went to for money in a previous episode and got into a short argument with.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #39
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I believe that was the guy who the dad went to for money in a previous episode and got into a short argument with.

Nah that was Jasper's (or Casper's?) dad. First thing he says is that Jasper couldn't make it or something to that affect. Pretty sure Jasper is the rich kid that was down in the school basement...
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wasn't Jasper the kid who sleeps around with older women? The sister would qualify as an older woman....That's the only explanation I can come up with at this point.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Nah that was Jasper's (or Casper's?) dad. First thing he says is that Jasper couldn't make it or something to that affect. Pretty sure Jasper is the rich kid that was down in the school basement...

Yes, according to AMC's webpage, the guy who ignored the sister was Jasper's dad.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-killi...t/michael-ames
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Quoting some of doug's stuff within the spoiler tags:

Spoiler

I figure he'll kill the teacher which will create a whole side trial thing and lengthen the show. Also, there's probably more people involved than just the teacher and his wife. At least it seems that way.

One thing I wish they'd adjust is the amount of rain in every episode. It rains like that in Seattle infrequently. It makes it seem like Noah's Ark is coming.

Last edited by Desnudo : 05-04-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #43
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

As to the 'slam dunk' it was the Ahmeds (teach and wife) did they not show Rosie running in the woods, attempting to flee an un-shown assailant at the very beginning of the show? Hard to do if she was already dead or died in the Ahmeds' place.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #44
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
As to the 'slam dunk' it was the Ahmeds (teach and wife) did they not show Rosie running in the woods, attempting to flee an un-shown assailant at the very beginning of the show? Hard to do if she was already dead or died in the Ahmeds' place.

dear god, something else i'd not remembered at all. WTF! Great point.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #45
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post

damn- good call, and she was alive in the trunk...and a pregnant woman probably wouldn't be able to run that fast in the woods... So I wan tto hear the writing to explain that whole teacher story line.

This is what we know:
Teacher has been lying about everything, and had access to the car she was found in.
Rosie showed up at their house, per a neighbor.
Crazy neighbor saw them leave with a "body"
Rosie has all the chemicals used from teachers house on her.
Teacher's wife was hysterical when arriving late at sisters.
Teacher's wife was hiding in the corner of the room with a hammer when the detectives were at the door.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #46
samifan24
Pro Starter

Pretty good episode tonight, the only thing that disappointed me was how quickly they resolved the Stan/Bennett car trip
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #47
Landshark44
High School Varsity

it's getting a little boring for me....
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #48
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
it's getting a little boring for me....

I am still firmly in on this but last night's episode was not nearly as good as any of the others imo.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #49
StrangeWay
n00b

I can't help thinking it might have been her father's best friend. He's acted squirrely since they started the show.
StrangeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #50
britrock88
Pro Starter

I loved Rubicon (primarily for the winds of conspiracy, but the slow unfolding was also a strong point)... would I like this series?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote