Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #101
AlexB
Pro Starter

Today I added to the list of goals celebrated like an idiot while watching at home!

Last edited by AlexB : 12-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #102
AlexB
Pro Starter

Surprised no-one had chimed in on the Manchester derby: one of the best games so far this season.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #103
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Surprised no-one had chimed in on the Manchester derby: one of the best games so far this season.

I was at my son's birthday party today so I couldn't catch it live. Now I have six 12 years olds having NBA 2K and MLB 20 tournaments on the TVs with the DVRs so it will probably have to wait til tomorrow. I already knew the result but it is good to hear it was a great game. Catching up on some Serie A now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

That was painful even as background noise.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #105
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just caught up with the EPL games from yesterday. My god, Liverpool might be invincible.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #106
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Just caught up with the EPL games from yesterday. My god, Liverpool might be invincible.

That’s about the only thing in question for this year’s Premier League.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #107
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a shoulder tackle (legal) and and shoulder barge (illegal)? I feel like there have been 25 different interpretations over shoulder to shoulder contact over last two days alone.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #108
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Not a good day for VAR.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #109
miami_fan
Coordinator

At some point, I won't find it funny that Chelsea would look to Jorginho to help them control a match.

Now is not that point.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #110
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Not a good day for VAR.

They need to get rid of it. Taking away that Wolves goal is pure ridiculousness.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #111
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
They need to get rid of it. Taking away that Wolves goal is pure ridiculousness.

If they are going to abide by the current offside law, then those calls are going to happen. The PL can always ignore the offsides law in the same way they do the goalkeeper penalty law.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #112
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola, it would be nice if the match officials enforced the rules regarding player dissent and players surrounding the match officials.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #113
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
This sentiment is so 1966.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #114
miami_fan
Coordinator

Looks like Michael Oliver has made history. First match official to go to the pitchside monitor for review in an English competition. Upgraded a yellow to a red rightfully so IMO.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #115
Critch
lolzcat

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #116
miami_fan
Coordinator

I struggle to say it but......good job UEFA?

Manchester City faces two-year Champions League ban for FFP violations
Old 02-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #117
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
about time.
At this pace, Paris SG will be suspended by 2030 or so.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #118
miami_fan
Coordinator

That being said I do want City to not only win the CL now. First, I want the images of the UEFA president in the luxury box with the City owners and the start of the game and the UEFA president handing the trophy to City.

I enjoy the messiness in sports.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #119
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW City is also under investigation by the Premier League.

How many people show up to the Man City v Crawley Town League Two match next season?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #120
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW City is also under investigation by the Premier League.

How many people show up to the Man City v Crawley Town League Two match next season?
Quite a lot, I bet. Unless the true fans from before the oil money injection abandoned their loyalty. This was already a well supported club inside the UK, just not one of the elite clubs.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #121
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Newcastle had 30,000+ attendances in Division One, City would be the same if they went down ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #122
miami_fan
Coordinator

Good job Gary! LOL

Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #123
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Josef Martinez suffers torn ACL in right knee | Atlanta United FC
Old 03-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #124
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

This sucks for both Atlanta and the league. He is a great player that plays hard.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
This sucks for both Atlanta and the league. He is a great player that plays hard.

He's an undeniable talent, even for someone like me who is awfully meh about MLS, and as players go strikes me as relatively personable.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not a horrible opening match for Inter Miami. LAFC was definitely the better team but I did not feel like Miami looked out of place. Vermeer was very good in the LAFC goal but Miami should have at least one. Same could be for Robles in goal for Miami though. I would say that 2-1 was a better representation of the game.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #127
AlexB
Pro Starter

Rumours that Arsenal want to sign John Stones... Stones and Luiz would be the most Arsenal defence ever
Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #128
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I’ve seen some poorly officiated games, but this ATL v. FCC is ridiculous. Two players tackled in the box with arms fully extended in the back, no call, no VAR, two tricky tack yellows go the other way. No major issue with the yellows, but if you’re calling those, how are the others not awarded?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:44 AM   #129
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Serie A halted until April due to virus
Old 03-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #130
miami_fan
Coordinator

This was almost hidden under all the coronavirus news...ALMOST!

U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro steps down amid USWNT pay dispute
Old 03-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #131
miami_fan
Coordinator

As expected.

Euro 2020 postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus - sources
Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #132
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

as well as Copa America 2020.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #133
miami_fan
Coordinator

Coronavirus: English football extends suspension to April 30 | Football News | Sky Sports

Quote:
English football will not return until April 30 "at the earliest", it has been decided at an emergency meeting between Premier League clubs, but the 2019/20 season will be extended indefinitely.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:15 AM   #134
AlexB
Pro Starter

Had a thought last night (clearly focussing on the most important issues given the lockdown instructions!)

From what they’re saying, it sounds highly likely that even if social restrictions relax in the summer, this will happen again either later this year or next.

So rather than bin this season or rush to get it through by July, etc, why not bin next season and give until May 2021 to get this season done?

Obviously contracts would be an issue, but it takes the time pressures off, and if things do go smoother over the next 12 months than scientists are suggesting, we can have one off mini tournaments or leagues to fill the gap.

It’s going to be a long three weeks (plus)...
Old 03-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #135
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Had a thought last night (clearly focussing on the most important issues given the lockdown instructions!)

From what they’re saying, it sounds highly likely that even if social restrictions relax in the summer, this will happen again either later this year or next.

So rather than bin this season or rush to get it through by July, etc, why not bin next season and give until May 2021 to get this season done?

Obviously contracts would be an issue, but it takes the time pressures off, and if things do go smoother over the next 12 months than scientists are suggesting, we can have one off mini tournaments or leagues to fill the gap.

If the broadcasters are willing, I think that might be possible. Since it has already been floated that the broadcasters would want their money for any missed season(s), there is no chance.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #136
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

I would suggest to finish 2019/2020 in the first couple of months after July 1st (like in August, September, October) to finish this season, then find a way to have the 2020/2021 season in a shorter format (half a season?) and pick up the normal routine with 2021/2022.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #137
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
If the broadcasters are willing, I think that might be possible. Since it has already been floated that the broadcasters would want their money for any missed season(s), there is no chance.

Good point - I had naively ignored the broadcasters.

It would be an interesting situation if they did want refunds - theoretically it would be terrible PR after a world pandemic and hundreds of thousands of deaths, maybe more... but people will want their football back and I can’t see that many cancelling subscriptions in outrage.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #138
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good point - I had naively ignored the broadcasters.

It would be an interesting situation if they did want refunds - theoretically it would be terrible PR after a world pandemic and hundreds of thousands of deaths, maybe more... but people will want their football back and I can’t see that many cancelling subscriptions in outrage.

In Germany it wouldnt have to be refunds as the contract clealy states that payments happen after certain gameday (8, 17, 26, 34) which is why the clubs pushed so hard for still playing the 26th match day.
So the clubs are out half the TV money this season.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don’t want to post the whole article here (paid content et.al) but the Athletic reported that EPL execs were told that it costs them 762 million pounds in lost broadcast revenue due to breach of contract. To address whomario’s point, EPL clubs get paid in August and February. So they need to provide that product.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #140
miami_fan
Coordinator

Newcastle: Owner Mike Ashley criticised over season ticket payments - BBC Sport

At least he is consistent.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #141
AlexB
Pro Starter

Watching reruns on BBC, ManU Arsenal, Utd with Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Keane; Arsenal have Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Ljungberg, Pires...

Wow, they were two loaded teams...
Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #142
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Watching reruns on BBC, ManU Arsenal, Utd with Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Keane; Arsenal have Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Ljungberg, Pires...

Wow, they were two loaded teams...

Awesome, going to have to see if that makes his way online

Actually spend yesterday evening watching some classic german NT games, totally forgot how damn different the game was even in the mid 90s.
Germany-Czech Republic final from Euro 96, still featuring a Sweeper/Libero on both sides and tackles that today would be a clear red card but back then earned a mild shrug from the Ref and reporters calling it no foul despite hitting 95% leg and mayyyyybeee a bit of the ball after that

Sammer for Germany was so good in that Libero role btw. Lots of injuries but in his short peak was spectacular. absolute hero of my childhood (who i even met as he was friends with our club president whose son still is a good mate of mine)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-11-2020 at 06:36 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:47 AM   #143
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is the episode, but for UK users only. Never successfully used a VPN so no idea whether that is easily fixed!

Match Of Their Day: Jermaine Jenas describes being managed by Sir Bobby Robson - BBC Sport

They’re also showing old World Cup highlights, which this week included the 1970 semi final between Italy & West Germany - I didn’t know about that game, what a match! (sorry whomario!)
Old 04-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #144
miami_fan
Coordinator

Along the same lines, if anyone in the States is interested, NBC Sports Gold is free until April 30 including the Premier League Pass.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #145
miami_fan
Coordinator

I can’t remember the thread where we were discussing the virus’s effect on college sports. But this just seems like the first of many.

University of Cincinnati discontinues men's soccer program
Old 05-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #146
BishopMVP
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/us/us...sed/index.html
Quote:
"This approach — merely comparing what each team would have made under the other team's CBA — is untenable in this case because it ignores the reality that the MNT and WNT bargained for different agreements which reflect different preferences, and that the WNT explicitly rejected the terms they now seek to retroactively impose on themselves," Klausner wrote."
Amazing how this fact keeps getting ignored. But I am glad the rest of the trial is going forward
Quote:
Claims by the players of unequal working conditions based on travel conditions, specifically charter flights and hotel accommodations, and support services, specifically medical and training support, can still go to trial.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #147
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It was noted that US Soccer offered the USWNT the exact same contract as the USMNT and the USWNT turned it down - because the USWNT wanted guaranteed contracts and benefits as opposed to a per play bonus.

And the judge found the USWNT made more per game than the USMNT, and found if the USMNT was paid under the USWNT contract the USMNT would have made more than they actually did.

Ironically missing the 2018 WC may have helped US Soccer in it's arguments. Though once again they are being paid completely different.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #148
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey. I haven't seen this soccer game on FS1 before. Wonder how old it is. Wait, what do you mean it's LIVE? Live Sports? That's just a fantasy.. No? It's Real? Well, hot damn. I'll watch!
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #149
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well that was interesting.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #150
miami_fan
Coordinator

So I am not gonna lie. I miss talking about sports here. I know we can't really get around talking about the other stuff but if we are all about getting back to normal, I kinda need to discuss some sports stuff. So I am boosting a few thread starting with this one.

I am still struggling with the no fans experience watching the Bundesliga.I think it has to do with it feeling like a preseason friendly due to the lack of a title race. I really enjoyed the Dortmund v Bayen match though. I want to see what it is like with the Pokal matches. I hate the piped in crowd though. That crap has no added value for me. La Liga comes back this Thursday and Italy will start back with the Coppa Italia matches this Friday and Saturday. The EPL with be back on the 17 and Serie A resumes on the 20th.