Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #401
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
But bury your head or not...given time Frost will be a force to be reckoned with..

Yeah, put me in the "not seeing it" camp on this one.

An upset in one of the two opportunities down the stretch will, IMO, save him. But if they finish 0-3, I believe he's gone. 1-2 (only beating Maryland), I think it's a coin toss.

But I absolutely believe he's closer to joining WT on the unemployment line than he is to making Nebraska relevant again.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #402
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, put me in the "not seeing it" camp on this one.

An upset in one of the two opportunities down the stretch will, IMO, save him. But if they finish 0-3, I believe he's gone. 1-2 (only beating Maryland), I think it's a coin toss.

But I absolutely believe he's closer to joining WT on the unemployment line than he is to making Nebraska relevant again.

Hes an all time great Husker. He wont be gone after 2 years.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #403
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Again I believe in Frost, but I believe in Morris also. I think both Arkansas and Nebraska will show significant improvement next year.

I sure hope you are right about Morris. I do think we need to be patient and give him 3-4 years but we are in such sad, sad shape right now.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Hes an all time great Husker. He wont be gone after 2 years.

Then he better win at least one, if not two, games.

Otherwise that "all-time great" ought to do the right thing and let them find a coach that's up to the challenge of a P5 conference. Like most of those hired in his coaching class, that does not appear to be the case.

edit to add: And, hey, they can keep him forever for all I care. I have zero dogs in that fight one way or the other, couldn't care less whether Nebraska becomes relevant or not, I'm just saying how it looks to me.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #405
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Then he better win at least one, if not two, games.

Otherwise that "all-time great" ought to do the right thing and let them find a coach that's up to the challenge of a P5 conference. Like most of those hired in his coaching class, that does not appear to be the case.

edit to add: And, hey, they can keep him forever for all I care. I have zero dogs in that fight one way or the other, couldn't care less whether Nebraska becomes relevant or not, I'm just saying how it looks to me.

I dont care about him being successful either... in fact after losing to him in the fleakicker game I dont mind seeing him fail. Just saying a national champion qb isnt getting fired after 2 years.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #406
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Who gets Florida State? PJ Fleck or Matt Campbell?

Bob Stoops
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #407
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Bob Stoops

That's the name that's consuming the message boards and rumor mill...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #408
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I have more faith in Frost succeeding at Nebraska more than Morris succeeding at Arky. You may be buds with him and have had dinner at his house, but that doesnt hide the fact they've been hot garbage for 2 years now. I get he needs to get his guys in for his system. But thats the EXACT reason why he never should have taken the job. You cant go from Bielema to spread and hope to succeed within 4 years.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #409
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
You cant go from Bielema to spread and hope to succeed within 4 years.

Speaking of coaches who I was glad to see fail.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #410
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have more faith in Frost succeeding at Nebraska more than Morris succeeding at Arky. You may be buds with him and have had dinner at his house, but that doesnt hide the fact they've been hot garbage for 2 years now. I get he needs to get his guys in for his system. But thats the EXACT reason why he never should have taken the job. You cant go from Bielema to spread and hope to succeed within 4 years.

Agreed on the last sentence.
And we will see how it plays out, but I am told this exact topic was discussed during the interview.

Morris hasnt installed more than half of his playbook yet..largely because he doesnt have the horses to run it. Now that's on him at some point because he has to recruit those guys...and if anything I think he underestimated how had it would be to recruit at Arkansas.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #411
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I dont care about him being successful either... in fact after losing to him in the fleakicker game I dont mind seeing him fail. Just saying a national champion qb isnt getting fired after 2 years.
Especially when you can point to QB injuries in year one & at least some tangible improvement in year two.

I agree the idea Frost (or anyone) can get Nebraska back to what they were is far-fetched, but I think he can definitely take them to the 8-9 win Iowa/Wisconsin tier, especially if the Big Ten doesn't re-align & keeps OSU/PSU/Mich on the other side.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #412
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Fleck has signed a 6 year extension, should keep him in Minnesota through next season anyway.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #413
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

We went from Houston Nutt's run left, run right, run up middle to air Petrino pretty well. Admittedly Nutt left Petrino more to work with but Petrino showed what you can do with Arkansas disadvantaged recruiting.

2008 5-7
2009 8-5
2010 10-3
2011 11-2

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #414
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Might be one of the worst ideas ever because not only will he be a horrible coach, I actually think that he's a pretty good media guy, so he'd be leaving something he's good at to take over a D1 program that expects to be in the national title hunt every year.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #415
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #416
tarcone
Coordinator

BS on accepting a family loan. That is pure BS and all that is wrong with the NCAA.

I would loan my nephew when he was in college if he needed it. But if hes an athlete he gets punished.

F the NCAA.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #417
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wiseman banned from college basketball too. Great week for the NCAA.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 AM   #418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BS on accepting a family loan.

Read it again.
It's not a relative that loaned him the money, it's a "family friend".
Old 11-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #419
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wiseman banned from college basketball too.

As well he should be. That's some show-cause level shit.

(But it's Tiger High, so dirty a.f. is exactly what I expect from them in every way)
Old 11-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #420
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As well he should be. That's some show-cause level shit.

(But it's Tiger High, so dirty a.f. is exactly what I expect from them in every way)

It may be a different way but clearly the NCAA wasted his time. They could have deemed him ineligible 6 months ago. Doesn’t seem like they attempted to hide anything. Sorta wonder if some ncaa moron didn’t realize Penny Hardaway and Anfernee Hardaway were the same person lol
Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 AM   #421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It may be a different way but clearly the NCAA wasted his time. They could have deemed him ineligible 6 months ago. Doesn’t seem like they attempted to hide anything. Sorta wonder if some ncaa moron didn’t realize Penny Hardaway and Anfernee Hardaway were the same person lol

From some quick reading, it sounded to me (right or wrong, I'm open to having misunderstood) like they didn't have documented proof of the cash 6 months ago but that it turned up along the way.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #422
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

LOL @ them playing Wiseman anyway. Unless Memphis knows something I don't, this isn't ending well.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #423
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought we decided with the sneaker trials we don't really care about these sort of things. Or is one of these "special" cases?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #424
tarcone
Coordinator

I feel sorry for these guys. If they come from a poor family, they are going to struggle to eat when there is no training table.

I wish the Universities would treat athlletics like a work/study job at the minimum.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
LOL @ them playing Wiseman anyway. Unless Memphis knows something I don't, this isn't ending well.

The team is stacked and even if they end up vacating 5-8 early season wins they should be able to make the tournament I’d assume. I doubt they’d keep playing him in conference play.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #426
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought we decided with the sneaker trials we don't really care about these sort of things. Or is one of these "special" cases?

Memphis isn't important enough to be allowed to cheat. But I love how they just thumbed their nose at the NCAA

Quote:
I feel sorry for these guys. If they come from a poor family, they are going to struggle to eat when there is no training table.

I wish the Universities would treat athlletics like a work/study job at the minimum.

Uhmmm, sir. You do realize that living stipends are about 4 years old now right? In addition to tuition, meals, housing (which can be games pretty well) and 1,500 year for books they also get a col stipend. It's 4400 per year at Clemson...notbsure elsewhere.

Now don't mistake what I'm saying. I actually support paying players...but the starving kid line is overblown as well.

Btw don't you have a daughter who plans to play college ball? Educate yourself, thoroughly, on the rules. Please. Not being rude, it could impact her. For example your prior comment...an uncke has a pre exusting relationship..they can give anything they want without limit. It's only unrelated that is subject to scrutiny.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #427
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I love him like a brother..but this is pretty hard to defend.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #428
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Memphis isn't important enough to be allowed to cheat. But I love how they just thumbed their nose at the NCAA

Uhmmm, sir. You do realize that living stipends are about 4 years old now right? In addition to tuition, meals, housing (which can be games pretty well) and 1,500 year for books they also get a col stipend. It's 4400 per year at Clemson...notbsure elsewhere.

Now don't mistake what I'm saying. I actually support paying players...but the starving kid line is overblown as well.

Btw don't you have a daughter who plans to play college ball? Educate yourself, thoroughly, on the rules. Please. Not being rude, it could impact her. For example your prior comment...an uncke has a pre exusting relationship..they can give anything they want without limit. It's only unrelated that is subject to scrutiny.

Unfortunately no, she isnt. She has decided to pursue aerospace engineering.

But thanks for the info. Good to see the NCAA loosening the choke hold a little. Obviously not enough.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #429
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Gillispie did the same for Patrick Patterson when he committed to Kentucky and didn't have a prior relationship.

That's the difference between UK and Memphis.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #430
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And btw i apparently can't type today, yikes!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #431
bronconick
College Starter

They think Maryland tattled on OSU's DE that got suspended

Last edited by bronconick : 11-09-2019 at 01:44 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #432
CarterNMA
Mascot

I haven't been watching much college football this year as I've been focusing on the English Premiere League. But I have the Penn State v. Minnesota game on and they were talking about Daniel Faalele. The article put a smile on my face. I wish this kid all the success. :-)

What It's Like Being the Biggest Dude in CFB | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #433
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

D3 Washington & Lee enjoys Senior Day with a 28-7 win So. Virginia. Athens Academy alum Drew Richardson had 100 rushing yards & 2 TDs, his HS classmate Will Corry once again led the team in tackles, had a sack, and a fumble recovery. I watched those two of my son's best friends play from 6th grade onward, neither performance surprises me one bit. My heart is pretty full right now, and it's dusty as hell in the bat cave.

That PHS (my alma mater) alum Shannon Brooks was part of the Minnesota win today is icing on the cake.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #434
tarcone
Coordinator

Minny is for real

OSU is damn good.

A Maryland recruit decommitted during the blow out. LOL

Old 11-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #435
tarcone
Coordinator

I can see a 35-34 type Alabama/LSU game

Of course Im watching the 1950s version of football at 3.

Last edited by tarcone : 11-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #436
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Getting pasted by Western Kentucky won't help his job security.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #437
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa leads 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Wiscy was threatening deep in Iowa territory. On 4th down they called a TO and were going for it and got a false start. Then missed the FG.

Welcome to B1G west FB

Old 11-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #438
tarcone
Coordinator

FOX is kicking thmeselves for putting this game on at 3. Iowa is about to go down 14-6 at half. No way Iowa overcomes that deficit.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #439
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Getting pasted by Western Kentucky won't help his job security.

Yeah, the boards are in an uproar. Defense sucks and we are limping on offense with our starting QB's not turning out the way we wanted. We played QB3 & QB4 and setting up for next year I hope.

When a team starts at the bottom, a new coach gets 4 years assuming there is some sort of progression. With Morris, we haven't seen any. I think he should get another year at least but my heart says rip off the bandage this year and look for another coach.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #440
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Iowa leads 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Wiscy was threatening deep in Iowa territory. On 4th down they called a TO and were going for it and got a false start. Then missed the FG.

Welcome to B1G west FB

First one to 14 wins?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #441
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
She has decided to pursue aerospace engineering.

Pretty damn good Plan B. Congrats.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #442
Edward64
Head Coach

Can't count them out yet but its good to have a (new) King in the SEC.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #443
bhlloy
Coordinator

Burrow looks a hell of a lot like the #1 pick to me
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #444
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What have we learned today?

1) We've learned that Bama can't just throw their jerseys on the field and win games this year

2) That Joe Burrow is going to win the Heisman

3) That the SEC's only route to having two teams in the playoff will be Georgia winning the East and beating LSU in a fairly close title game
Old 11-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #445
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
What have we learned today?

1) We've learned that Bama can't just throw their jerseys on the field and win games this year

2) That Joe Burrow is going to win the Heisman

3) That the SEC's only route to having two teams in the playoff will be Georgia winning the East and beating LSU in a fairly close title game

Pretty much

I think you're going to start to see voter fatigue with Bama and Clemson. Any loses by either will make it difficult for them to get in. Playing in the ACC makes it easy to keep Clemson out with a loss.

Burrow locked up the Heisman baring injury or complete collapse. He has a shot at passing Tua as the top QB in the draft as well.

I don't see 2 SEC teams getting in. As of right now I'd say Oregon is the most likely team to get the 4th playoffs spot with OSU, Clemson, LSU.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As of right now I'd say Oregon is the most likely team to get the 4th playoffs spot with OSU, Clemson, LSU.

Oregon's best chance (assuming OSU & Clemson don't lose) I can see is if Auburn beats Bama. That at least gives them a loss to a team with some legitimacy.

Otherwise, they're sitting on a loss to the 4th best team in the SEC. And that can't top a one-loss LSU (if that loss is to UGA in the SEC title game)

edit: My response there is since my hypothetical had that UGAg upset of LSU being the case. Without that then, no, I don't see a two-SEC team path.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-09-2019 at 06:46 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Playoff musing: you know what'd make for a helluva mess?

If Georgia somehow beat LSU in the SEC title game _after_ having lost to Auburn.

What if Clemson, Baylor, and Minnesota all win their conferences unbeaten? That might be enough for 3 bids in this scenario. Could a one-loss tOSU (losing only to Minnesota) or a one-loss Oregon (losing only to Auburn, same as Georgia) be enough to shut the SEC out?

It's a rhetorical question, I'm just pondering scenarios.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #448
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oregon's best chance (assuming OSU & Clemson don't lose) I can see is if Auburn beats Bama. That at least gives them a loss to a team with some legitimacy.
Utah is the better team anyway. If Huntley and Moss stay healthy until the P12 Championship game they will beat the Ducks.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #449
tarcone
Coordinator

An undefeated Minnesota beat 4 ranked teams down the stretch including a #4 and a #1. They have to be in.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #450
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think Minnesota wins out, but if they do they have to be in the playoff. They will be one of, at most, four undefeated teams, and they will have beaten PSU, OSU, Wiscy, and Iowa.

And they'll be the sole representative of the B1G that didn't get a team last year.