Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #151
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if it's mental thing for Ball but he's looking like an enormous bust considering the hype that came in with him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #152
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know if it's mental thing for Ball but he's looking like an enormous bust considering the hype that came in with him.

Hes pretty much doing what many people thought he would though. Pass, rebound, and shoot poorly. Im surprised by his inconsistency.

And Simmons doing so well is making him look worse.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #153
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Hes pretty much doing what many people thought he would though. Pass, rebound, and shoot poorly. Im surprised by his inconsistency.

And Simmons doing so well is making him look worse.

Shooting poorly is giving him too much credit. I can't remember seeing a shot this busted in the NBA. Like I said, maybe it's mental and things will click but he's pretty bad.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #154
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's really getting pushed around in the physical side of the NBA, almost bullied off the ball
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #155
RainMaker
General Manager

That stuff I'm not that worried about. He'll add some muscle. He'll figure out defense to an extent. But unless you can pose a bit of a threat from the outside, you aren't going to go far.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #156
MrBug708
Head Coach

The shot will come, I'm not sure the passiveness can be adjusted. You are who you are mentally
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #157
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think it's a little too early to write him off - kid is officially the youngest to ever record a triple double in NBA history, and we have huge issues with Small Sample Size to this point.

I think eventually you CAN develop a shot in the NBA, and he will definitely grow a bit and add muscle, as RainMaker said. That being said, his shot really is super terrible right now, and he has a long, long way to go.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 AM   #158
Groundhog
Coordinator

The fact that established NBA players our out gunning for him thanks mostly to his douche dad doesn't help his cause, especially as he seems pretty introverted, but I still don't see anything he does better than Michael Carter-Williams did as a rook.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #159
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He shoots like he's a 7 year old struggling to reach a full sized rim.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #160
Atocep
Coordinator

Compounding this issue with his shot is the fact that it's broken on a fundamental level. He can't drive right and shoot against nba players with his current shot mechanics. That's not going to be an easy fix.

Outside of his shot I think the biggest red flag is the fact that he doesn't get to the free throw line. It's going to be nearly impossible for him to ever score efficiently getting to the line 1.6 times per game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #161
whomario
Pro Starter

So 10 Posts about a rookie struggling 15 games in and none about Embiid offering one of the more impressive statlines by a true Center in the last, say, 15 or so years ?

That being said, i pretty much agree about Ball being set up to fail by his weird shooting motion and other factors mentioned. And i still maintain that Rubio could be a key piece if surrounded correctly, so that's saying something
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #162
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
So 10 Posts about a rookie struggling 15 games in and none about Embiid offering one of the more impressive statlines by a true Center in the last, say, 15 or so years ?

Simmons, Embiid, Covington is a nice big 3 to build around.

Simmons is showing that judging him by his team's record at LSU was ridiculous. He's defending, passing, scoring, and rebounding while looking like a mix between Magic and Lamar Odom at the same age. Embiid looks like a generational talent. Covington is playing like the perfect 3rd piece of a big 3.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hell of a performance last night by Embiid. Didn't know he had that in him. Fun team to watch, interesting to see if this year's playoffs will be an upending with MVP Kyrie on one side, Lebron on the other and a bunch of interesting clubs in the middle.

Quote:

LOL. Damn, you folks really want that dude to be a bust.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-16-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #164
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

This rush to judgment on all rookies is frustrating. Everyone wants to be the first to identify a rookie as the next Anthony Bennett. Ball may suck, Fultz may suck, but everyone develops at their own trajectory. Just let it play out, jeez.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #165
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thing about Embiid though is that it's not really surprising, he's a hell of a player. I hope he stays healthy because I've been enjoying watching the Sixers this year, but at the same time it feels like we're ticking down towards an inevitable 20+ game injury.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #166
MrBug708
Head Coach

Crazy that Ben Howland, of the Luc mbah a moute and Westbrook scouting success stories, took one look at Embiid and thought he didn't have an NBA future. Oh well
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #167
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ball's played fine so far. He'll never live up to the ESPN/Lavar/Lakers Fans hype machine, but smart people never bought into that & he's actually exceeded my expectations with defense & rebounding so far while still showing the elite court vision that makes his game so aesthetically pleasing. His biggest problems are that hype machine and the fact that picks 3,5,6,7,9,11 & a late 1st round rookie from his own team have outperformed expectations so far. But the guy has a floor as a rotation player in the NBA, which is enough for me to laugh at any Bust moniker this early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Simmons, Embiid, Covington is a nice big 3 to build around.

Simmons is showing that judging him by his team's record at LSU was ridiculous. He's defending, passing, scoring, and rebounding while looking like a mix between Magic and Lamar Odom at the same age. Embiid looks like a generational talent. Covington is playing like the perfect 3rd piece of a big 3.
Let's slow the roll on RoCo I like him too, but he's a solid 3&D guy who's benefiting from 2 really good players drawing attention. He's still the guy who shot below 40% from the field all 3 full seasons. It's like the Jae Crowder truthers in the offseason - both guy's benefited from floor spacing & gravity of other players, and aren't someone who will ever create offense for others.

Btw, big game tonight between the best team in the NBA & the Golden State Warriors!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #168
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Ball's played fine so far. He'll never live up to the ESPN/Lavar/Lakers Fans hype machine, but smart people never bought into that & he's actually exceeded my expectations with defense & rebounding so far while still showing the elite court vision that makes his game so aesthetically pleasing. His biggest problems are that hype machine and the fact that picks 3,5,6,7,9,11 & a late 1st round rookie from his own team have outperformed expectations so far. But the guy has a floor as a rotation player in the NBA, which is enough for me to laugh at any Bust moniker this early.

I don't think his defense is good. And a guy barely shooting 30% is going to just cause more teams to pack the paint. The team is much worse with him on the court.

This could all be a bump in the road to a great career but if he can't shoot, he can't play in this league. His other skills just don't make up for it.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #169
korme
Go Reds

Between The Embiid Show last night and this epic showdown tonight, this has been a great 2 nights of hoops
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Arguably as much as any player in the history of the league. Or at least any rookie.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #171
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whose do you want to see bust worst, Rosen or Ball?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Paraphrasing an EsPN comment...

Jaylen Brown played after his best friend died. When is he getting traded?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some talk that 1 and done might be over with plays being able to declare out of HS -or- having to wait 2 seasons to enter the league. Could be interesting from a D-LEAGUE perspective or whatever they call it now.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #174
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Some talk that 1 and done might be over with plays being able to declare out of HS -or- having to wait 2 seasons to enter the league. Could be interesting from a D-LEAGUE perspective or whatever they call it now.

Europe as well, as getting a talented kid for a 2-year period (ideally a 3 year contract with a reasonable 3rd year buyout) makes it much more worthwhile to spend ressources developing them and helping them adjust.

I am not sure why the NBA hasn't yet closed that loophole but i kinda expect them to change the rules for the D-League as well if they take this step.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why do guys ball in 15+ year old Jordans? Seems like technology has come such a long way and the shoes of our youth were not actually that great.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #176
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why do guys ball in 15+ year old Jordans? Seems like technology has come such a long way and the shoes of our youth were not actually that great.

Nostalgia. Also, comfort. If they're broken in? Also, sneakerhead culture and people noticing what you're wearing.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Whose do you want to see bust worst, Rosen or Ball?

I don't have to invest much time in worrying over whether Rosen busts.
I think that's the most likely outcome AND even if he doesn't it's in a league where he's dead to me regardless. Not my problem as it were.

While my NBA interest is still awfully limited, I at least haven't reached the "doesn't exist" stage with it yet so I have more vested in getting son-of-clown off the sports page.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #178
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sixers put up a hell of a first quarter against the Warriors.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #179
RedKingGold
College Starter

Sam Hinkie be like

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #180
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

But, to be fair, he also be like
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #181
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Those second-half adjustments, damn.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nostalgia. Also, comfort. If they're broken in? Also, sneakerhead culture and people noticing what you're wearing.

I meant retro styles. Most of the classic Jordans are as old as rookie players. I just think when you can use shoes made and engineered in 2017, you shouldn't be wearing space jam Jordans even if they look cool.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #183
JPhillips
General Manager

3rd Quarter be like:

Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #184
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Do we have an FOFC twitter to make sharing gifs easier yet?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #185
miami_fan
Coordinator

I get why they are doing it, but I am not happy that the NBA is taking tonight off. Last night was a good night for League Pass.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #186
miami_fan
Coordinator

To go along with my post in the college football thread... HUH?

Grizzlies fire David Fizdale, name J.B. Bickerstaff interim coach
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #187
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
To go along with my post in the college football thread... HUH?

Grizzlies fire David Fizdale, name J.B. Bickerstaff interim coach
Fizdale benched Gasol for the 4th quarter last night, said it was because the reserves had brought them back in the game and wanted to see if they could win it, but clearly there was more tension between him & Gasol & apparently he lost that power struggle
Old 11-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #188
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Fizdale benched Gasol for the 4th quarter last night, said it was because the reserves had brought them back in the game and wanted to see if they could win it, but clearly there was more tension between him & Gasol & apparently he lost that power struggle

MARC GASOL - COACH KILLER!

The Wiki editors have jokes. I am sure it will changed soon but here is the link anyways

David Fizdale - Wikipedia

Quote:
After a 7-12 start to the 2017-18 season (including 8 consecutive losses) and a publicized fourth quarter benching of star Marc Gasol, Fizdale was fired from the team on November 27, 2017 by Gasol, who also took over the roll of GM, a la LePussy.[4]
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the more peculiar stats I've seen in a while.

NBA -- The more bricks the better for Marcus Smart and the Celtics?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #190
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see the NBA ref text chain going around tonight after Keith Fitzgerald (I think that's his name) tossed LeBron
Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #191
Groundhog
Coordinator

I did lol @ Kanter's tweet, circling the ref and calling him King of Cleveland.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I realize Griffin's injury basically kills off what was left of any possibility of a good Clippers season, and that it makes sense that a team missing three starters is unlikely to play well, but watching right now, they're just a really bad playing team. I'm not talking talent, but as a team and just how they play. It feels like endless ISO, and when they actually decide to pass the ball around, the ball inevitably ends up in the hands of a bad outside shooter. And defensively, I see no effort. They should just trade DJ now, get more young assets and clear cap space to build around Blake and whichever rookie they can get in the draft next June. They should be able to get a top 5 pick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-30-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #193
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Maybe, but Mitchell has looked really good to me. Smooth driving to the basket, good jumper, good passer, and doesn't force things. Looked like a 2nd or 3rd year pro.

41 points today.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #194
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hard not to love the move Danny made to get Tatum.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hard not to love the move Danny made to get Tatum.

Hard not to love the move the Skins made to get RGIII (statement made 8 games into his rookie season).

FWIW, I think Tatum has been very solid so far. But we may need to wait a little longer than just under two months into his rookie season before we pass any final judgments.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #196
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hard not to love the move the Skins made to get RGIII (statement made 8 games into his rookie season).

FWIW, I think Tatum has been very solid so far. But we may need to wait a little longer than just under two months into his rookie season before we pass any final judgments.

Not sure how my statement would be interpreted as a final judgment. I guess I could've added "so far" or "at this moment" or some other qualified, but I figured that went without saying. I certainly didn't proclaim him an automatic HOF entrant.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure how my statement would be interpreted as a final judgment. I guess I could've added "so far" or "at this moment" or some other qualified, but I figured that went without saying. I certainly didn't proclaim him an automatic HOF entrant.

Whether it's a final judgment or not, I'm just expressing that seven weeks isn't long enough or a large enough sample size to come to one conclusion or the other.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #198
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Whether it's a final judgment or not, I'm just expressing that seven weeks isn't long enough or a large enough sample size to come to one conclusion or the other.
Meh, I'm confident enough to say I was wildly wrong about Tatum, and the only question at this point is whether that turns into a huge win for Ainge or closer to a push (if Fultz develops into the player I still think he can be - though honestly I don't even know if he can get high enough usage in Philly to be that player unless Embiid/Simmons get hurt).

Tatum always had the smooth offensive game and insanely efficient 1v1 college stats, the 3 big questions were if was athletic enough to defend 3's on the perimeter at the NBA level, if he was athletic enough to get to the rim on offense, and if he could shoot 3's/would choose to shoot them over mid-range jumpers. So far the answers are yes, emphatic yes, and omg he's shooting 51% on 3's and has a massive lead on the all-time rookie leader board in 3-pt shooting, eFG%, TS%?!? link His WS/48 has dropped to a mere .198 now from .209 when this was first posted, but that still puts him 2nd on this list Jay King on Twitter: "Most win shares per 48 by any rookie 21 or younger (Tatum on pace to finish second on a POWERHOUSE list) @bball_ref https://t.co/RLZlKzLcP8" - and he's doing it while playing heavy minutes for the team with the best record in the league.

Of course there'll be some regression there (and those shooting stats are benefiting from getting spot up looks around the Kyrie/Horford P&R instead of taking many off the dribble), but he looks like a future multiple time all-star and one who is contributing positively to an NBA finals contender as a 19 year old rookie. Fultz might develop into the former as well, but he's definitely not going to be a positive rotation player this year.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #199
larrymcg421
Head Coach

A player we're not allowed to make any judgments on yet is having another solid night.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A player we're not allowed to make any judgments on yet is having another solid night.

God forbid someone give you a dissenting opinion. Let it go.