Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The Village Idiot (3.31.2037)

It is time.

Why would Baltimore have actively looked to try to trade a player in his prime that hit 40 HR and 110 RBI and makes pretty small money compared to other similar players out there? They did that very thing when Fa-tang Le was sent packing after the 2035 season, where he found a new home in Chico and helped spark a dangerous Rebels offense to the postseason once again. The reason for moving him? The Charm had someone even better waiting in the wings to take over.

For a player that has been commonly known across the league for several years already, Taylor is still young, only 26 years old. The 2035 Benny Myers Award winner has been a two time all star and has been a solid contributor to the Baltimore offense. League scouts think that Taylor still has not lived up to his fool potential, but they also think he could actually exceed the greatness originally expected of him.

One scout said about Taylor,"He could be the best #3 hitter in baseball this year. He will get 200 hits, 100 Runs scored and 100 RBI, and could get on base nearly 40% of the time. That type of production in front of a deadly Home Run hitter should cause all kinds of problems for opposing pitchers." Even a huge season from Taylor might not be enough to get to the playoffs however. Although Taylor did win the best fielder award last season at 1B for Baltimore, critics around the league wonder if it was awarded as much for his name recognition and bat as it was for his defense?

A key problem for the Charm the past few seasons has been a horrible defense that has completley abandoned what would otherwise have been a solid starting rotation. It has not gone unnoticed to many in the league that Baltimore's BABIP has been higher the past two seasons than any other point in the Charm's history. "Their pitchers haven't been unlucky, their defense just is not getting to the balls that are hit." Taylor has a steady glove, but as a 1B, how much will he be able to help Baltimore's largest weakness?

Perhaps the grass is greener...

The Village Idiot has not been known to jump all over 33 year old pitchers with a losing record and a 5+ ERA in the past. Emilio Varquera however is a special case that VI feels deserves consideration. Varquera is actually due to turn 34 years the first few weeks of the upcoming season, but perhaps he is just about ready for a second chance in the league?

No, he hasn't learned a new pitch, and he hasn't had reconstructive surgery to help him pitch better or faster. In fact those that know him say he always has thrown this slowly, even as a 25 year old pitcher, he was lucky to top 85 with his fastball. The classic definition of a "junkball" pitcher, Varquera simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So what has changed? Why do we suddenly care about a career 79-91 pitcher? The reason why VI is excited to see how he does this year is Varquera has pitched his entire career in the Republic League. In the small little tinbox stadiums where the ball simply flies out on a check swing. Varquera has always gotten decent movement on his pitches, but he simply pitches batting practice to those stacked lineups such as the Chico Rebels.

Varquera now finds himself not only in a more pitcher-friendly league, but perhaps the best ballpark imaginable for him to pitch his home games in. Assassins stadium is where home runs go to die. With the control that Varquera has, as long as he can keep the ball in the park he has a chance to surprise some people. He won't win the Prado award or anything, but don't be shocked if he makes the All Star team this year.

Keep an eye out for...

The Chico Rebels scored 1007 runs last season on the way to their second playoff run in as many years. In one of the most explosive offenses that FOOL has seen in some time, what is the one thing that they might need? That is right, a future perennial All Star Shortstop that is capable of hitting .350 with 40+ HR a season. That is exactly what Pat Blowey, a Chico minor leaguer looks ready to provide for the Rebels in perhaps another 2 or 3 seasons.

"It is just scary, you replace a guy like Luporini, a .220 hitter at Shortstop and you put another all star in that lineup?" one opposing bench coach had to say. With the addition of Blowey in the lineup, you could arguably see an All Star batting 6th or 7th for the Rebels. Chico fans obviously are excited about the young kid's future but at the age of 23, Blowey's highest level of play so far was just AA. It is unknown if Chico plans to bring him up this year or if they will give him more time to develop at AAA first. When he does arrive though, watch out!

And the winners will be...

Edmonton and Chico both look scary still. Napa Valley actually looks improved despite comments from the team owner... The teams to watch out for however are Tokyo and New York. Both teams could not only give the playoff teams a run for their money, but both could find their way into the playoffs this season.

VI will say however in the CL it will be another season of Edmonton vs Napa Valley in the playoffs. Over in the RL we still like Chico a lot, but we'll go out on a limb and say that the Heroes of New York knock off the defending champs and find their way to the playoffs.

As for the expansion teams, how will they do? Obviously we don't think either will challenge for a playoff spot right off the bat, it is just too difficult in the league to do that. Neither will likely set all time records though for poor play. Newark in the CL might struggle a bit and could reach 100 losses, but over in the RL Hyannis might not even be the worst team in that league. Hartford comes into this season with the lowest payroll in baseball, and looking more like an expansion team than anyone else. Ann Arbor also still struggling with pitching problems that have plagued them the last few seasons. Watch for Hyannis to surprise folks and finish as high as 5th!

Last edited by Alan T : 09-21-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Blowey is going to be in AAA this year. Luporini will get another chance to prove himself. It was a tough decision for me to make, but I know letting Blowey develop in the minors one more year is the smart decision for the long term. I also expect Luporini to improve offensively and his glove is sweet!
buckinbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinbranco View Post
Blowey is going to be in AAA this year. Luporini will get another chance to prove himself. It was a tough decision for me to make, but I know letting Blowey develop in the minors one more year is the smart decision for the long term. I also expect Luporini to improve offensively and his glove is sweet!

Ah, then next year will be the battle of the future superstar rookie shortstop, as that is my ETA for Watanabe (who already has the ratings to start now, but I'm going to let him season one more year to get closer to his potentials).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ah, then next year will be the battle of the future superstar rookie shortstop, as that is my ETA for Watanabe (who already has the ratings to start now, but I'm going to let him season one more year to get closer to his potentials).

Should be a good battle for rookie of the year then. Hopefully the competition will bump up their ratings
buckinbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
hyde4us11
Coordinator

There really isn't a reason to spend big money at this point. I have some kids ready to play so didn't want to clog up there path. I did sign Sherman because it was at the right price. Was it just me or did the FA class this year want to break the bank?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde4us11 View Post
There really isn't a reason to spend big money at this point. I have some kids ready to play so didn't want to clog up there path. I did sign Sherman because it was at the right price. Was it just me or did the FA class this year want to break the bank?

extra cash floating out there this year, they all want their share!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinbranco View Post
Should be a good battle for rookie of the year then. Hopefully the competition will bump up their ratings

They might both be outperformed by my next pitching prospect Manuel "Doom" Sanchez, but as we saw last season with Higashi and Basher, the AI doesn't usually reward pitchers with the Benny Myer.

So hopefully, you're right, and we both end up with studs there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote