Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #6451
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I don't know the layouts of the places mentioned but do consider one thing. If the ovens/kitchens are in close proximity to the counter, restaurant kitchens are a fucking sauna. Wearing a mask constantly in a super hot kitchen has got to be unbearable. Entirely possible they were just taking some time to breathe.

I don't know the specific situation, but if there were no customers in close proximity, and they weren't actively preparing food, they might deserve to be cut a little slack.

Go outside if you need a mask break. Having worked in restaurants I truly do empathize with them, but they have to know the perception.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #6452
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Go outside if you need a mask break. Having worked in restaurants I truly do empathize with them, but they have to know the perception.

And in NY it isn't just perception. If somebody turns them in, I didn't and won't, they'll get some good sized fines.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #6453
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't mind if the folks in the back where masks, tbh. The far less of a risk of transmission on surfaces and the high heat (and it's affect on viruses) make me ok with it. However all public facing employees should surely be wearing them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #6454
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There isn't a restaurant in Newburgh where the atmosphere is worth taking a risk regarding the virus. I'd hate to get to heaven and have to tell St. Peter that I died because I absolutely had to experience the atmosphere at Perkins.

But its Perkins....
Old 09-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #6455
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
But its Perkins....

Mmmmmm....Perkins.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #6456
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to know companies are planning ahead. The article does go into more detail on preparation by Hormel, General Mills, Kellogg, Campbell, Walmart, Coca-Cola.

Probably a good idea to buy some extra canned foods, paper products, and other things you will eventually eat & use.

Grocers Stockpile, Build ‘Pandemic Pallets’ Ahead of Winter - WSJ
Quote:
Supermarkets are stockpiling groceries and storing them early to prepare for the fall and winter months, when some health experts warn the country could see another widespread outbreak of virus cases and new restrictions. Food companies are accelerating production of their most popular items, and leaders across the industry are saying they won’t be caught unprepared in the face of another pandemic surge.
:
:
Associated Food Stores recently started building “pandemic pallets” of cleaning and sanitizing products so it always has some inventory in warehouses
:
:
Industry executives say they don’t think a potential wintertime burst in grocery demand will be as extreme as it was in March, when people panic-shopped, fearing grocery-store closures or food shortages. Consumers are better prepared this time around
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #6457
JPhillips
General Manager

The big new outbreaks in NY are driven largely by the Orthodox Jewish communities that are basically ignoring all precautions. My county has a 20% positivity rate, but almost exclusively driven by the Kiryas Joel community and surrounding areas.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #6458
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The big new outbreaks in NY are driven largely by the Orthodox Jewish communities that are basically ignoring all precautions. My county has a 20% positivity rate, but almost exclusively driven by the Kiryas Joel community and surrounding areas.

Same problem here in New Jersey where there is a huge hasidic jewish community in Lakewood. They really are the worst. Zero interest in following the rules and claiming rule of their god over public health. They clogged up the hospitals around here in March. They couldn't care less about the rules of effects their behaviors have on anyone else. That goes for everyday life also, not just the pandemic. They are terrible.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #6459
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lest anyone think my comments were anti-Semitic my dad and his whole side of the family are Jewish. These people are in a world of their own and are human cockroaches.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #6460
Autumn
Head Coach

Here in Maine we still have very few cases and very little community transmission, but our largest outbreak is fueled by a church in Sanford which insists on continuing to hold indoor services with choirs (in addition to an indoor wedding the pastor there served at). It's nothing like these other larger communities but it's frustrating that there are groups who are somehow seeing this as an act of faith to refuse to wear masks or gather carefully.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #6461
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If I'm out and see the Amish I get the fuck out of their airspace. They travel in packs and aren't too keen on masks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #6462
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Lest anyone think my comments were anti-Semitic my dad and his whole side of the family are Jewish. These people are in a world of their own and are human cockroaches.

I find their behavior and attitude has a lot left to be desired. I really want to know where the groups are that demand that they 'integrate into American culture'? Because it's ok to say that only to certain groups, but not to others.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #6463
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If I'm out and see the Amish I get the fuck out of their airspace. They travel in packs and aren't too keen on masks.

Or deoderant
Old 09-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #6464
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Only some combination of widely available rapid testing, mask compliance, and a vaccine is going to really get the economy "open" again.

Or the return of rational thought instead of tragically asinine paranoia.

{thinks a minute}

Yeah, you're right. A miracle cure probably has better odds.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #6465
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
These people are in a world of their own and are human cockroaches.

You may want to rethink this language. It has really bad historical context.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #6466
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I used to live close to a large Amish community. Nicest people you could ever meet. I am surprised they are not wearing masks because they are allowed use of modern medicine. I wouldn't think it was political either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-29-2020 at 03:18 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #6467
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You may want to rethink this language. It has really bad historical context.

We disagree on much but we agree on this.

Change the context from hasidic jews cockroaches to brown illegal cockroaches and this board would be in an uproar at the bigotry. Glad that you (so far) proved me wrong on the oblivious hypocrisy.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #6468
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Or deoderant

I have been to at least 2 different Amish restaurants in OH. It may have been because they were in the service industry but I really didn't notice anything out of the norm (and there was at least one really cute girl!). They interacted with their customers just fine and didn't smell, sound funny etc.

I will say I was disappointed at the food because I was expecting something different. But it was pretty much the typical fried chicken, spaghetti, biscuits etc. They did have pies that I've never tried before - rhubarb and something like "three berries pie" but don't think they are specific to the Amish.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #6469
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Change the context from hasidic jews cockroaches to brown illegal cockroaches and this board would be in an uproar at the bigotry. Glad that you (so far) proved me wrong on the oblivious hypocrisy.

It has nothing to do with hypocrisy. Cockroaches has a very specific historical context towards Jews. I don't think Lathum meant it in that way, but if it were me I'd use different language.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #6470
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I have been to at least 2 different Amish restaurants in OH. It may have been because they were in the service industry but I really didn't notice anything out of the norm (and there was at least one really cute girl!). They interacted with their customers just fine and didn't smell, sound funny etc.

I will say I was disappointed at the food because I was expecting something different. But it was pretty much the typical fried chicken, spaghetti, biscuits etc. They did have pies that I've never tried before - rhubarb and something like "three berries pie" but don't think they are specific to the Amish.

I don't know about these businesses, but it isn't uncommon for Mennonites to front Amish businesses.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #6471
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This thread has gone in a weird (and somewhat uncomfortable) direction I did not expect

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #6472
miami_fan
Coordinator

We have gotten back most foods, toilet paper and paper towels. Are we ever getting printer cartridges back and if so, back to a normal price? $95 is not going to be a thing that I do.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #6473
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Clorox wipes are still fleeting. I've managed to get a couple of tubs (as we use about half a tub during monthly cleaning) so we're set for a while but have to be pretty eagle eyed to see them. Everything else has been smooth sailing for a while. Most of the grocery supply issues seem to be more of not having a particular brand and them not wanting to give my a more expensive sub for the lower price than anything else.

SI

Old 10-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #6474
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I'll assume you know nothing about Lakewoods hasidic jews and how they conduct themselves. Brown illegals come here to make a better life for themselves. They want to work hard, not make waves, and earn a living for their kids and send money to their families back home. I own a business in a commiunity full of them. I know these people.

Twenty minutes away is one of the largest hasidic jewish communities. They have destroyed the town they live in. Purposely tank real estate, destroy the schools, etc...they actively look to destroy everything around them to suit their needs. They are very organized and run their communities like a corrupt business. I would feel the same way if they were any religion.

Race, religion, corruption and politics: A guide to the crisis in Lakewood - nj.com

Influx of Orthodox Jews in Lakewood Causing Growth, and Conflict | New Jersey Public Radio | WQXR

As for historical context I am not aware of any and meant no offense.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-01-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #6475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

While I agree with the jist, it is pretty offensive to call Jews 'cockroaches'. I'm glad to hear that you were unaware of the problematic history (to say the least) of term and I would counsel you never to use that word again (especially around Jewish people).
Old 10-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #6476
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
While I agree with the jist, it is pretty offensive to call Jews 'cockroaches'. I'm glad to hear that you were unaware of the problematic history (to say the least) of term and I would counsel you never to use that word again (especially around Jewish people).

duly noted.

You are from that area, I think you get why I would describe them with that term.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #6477
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Wow.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #6478
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll assume you know nothing about hasidic jews and how they conduct themselves. Brown illegals come here to make a better life for themselves. They want to work hard, not make waves, and earn a living for their kids and send money to their families back home. I own a business in a commiunity full of them. I know these people.

Twenty minutes away is one of the largest hasidic jewish communities. They have destroyed the town they live in. Purposely tank real estate, destroy the schools, etc...they actively look to destroy everything around them to suit their needs. They are very organized and run their communities like a corrupt business. I would feel the same way if they were any religion.

Race, religion, corruption and politics: A guide to the crisis in Lakewood - nj.com

Influx of Orthodox Jews in Lakewood Causing Growth, and Conflict | New Jersey Public Radio | WQXR

We'll agree to disagree.

I do not consider this "racist" but do consider this extremely "bigoted" and will wait (may be a long while though) to hear from others condemning this. Not because the word "cockroaches" have a "problematic history" re: Jews but because of the word itself.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-01-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #6479
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm sure you've thoroughly researched all the definitions so I'll accept your findings.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #6480
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm sure you've thoroughly researched all the definitions so I'll accept your findings.

Nice pithy comeback. Sounds like what Trump would have said Tue night when he was sulking.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-01-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #6481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Nice pithy comeback. Sounds like what Trump would have said Tue night when he was sulking.

Lighten up Francis.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #6482
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Lighten up Francis.

Best thing you could do is say I'm sorry or I misspoke. Instead you continue to insert foot into mouth and digging a much deeper hole.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #6483
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You must have been to busy with your faux outrage to see this.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #6484
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You must have been to busy with your faux outrage to see this.

My outrage (actually more like confused amusement at the oblivious hypocrisy going on here) is not on the "historical context" or the "problematic history" as your bros tried to soften your words, it is describing them as cockroaches.

Quote:
Not because the word "cockroaches" have a "problematic history" re: Jews but because of the word itself.

I guess you can call a group of people cockroaches and not mean to offend, but not in my world.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #6485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fair enough.

If you are from monmouth or ocean county NJ you would understand my use of that word with regards to them. As far as I know Isiddiqui is the only other person on this board from there and he got the jist.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance with regard to not knowing the historical context of that particular word. I won’t apologize for my generalization of them.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #6486
Edward64
Head Coach

Getting back on to the subject at hand ...

I personally have not had any vaccine reactions as bad as the 5 described below (and I've been vaccinated quite a bit traveling overseas). Sore spot where the injection went in and that is about it.

I hope they are the exceptions or that the approved vaccines will be more finetuned.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/coro...headaches.html
Quote:
Luke Hutchison woke up in the middle of the night with chills and a fever after taking the Covid-19 booster shot in Moderna’s vaccine trial. Another coronavirus vaccine trial participant, testing Pfizer’s candidate, similarly woke up with chills, shaking so hard he cracked a tooth after taking the second dose.

High fever, body aches, bad headaches and exhaustion are just some of the symptoms five participants in two of the leading coronavirus vaccine trials say they felt after receiving the shots.

In interviews, all five participants — three in Moderna’s study and two in Pfizer’s late-stage trials — said they think the discomfort is worth it to protect themselves against the coronavirus. Four of them asked not to be identified, but CNBC reviewed documentation that verified their participation in the trials.

While the symptoms were uncomfortable, and at times intense, they often went away after a day, sometimes sooner, according to three participants in the Moderna trial and one in Pfizer’s as well as a person close to another participant in Moderna’s trial.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #6487
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I do not consider this "racist" but do consider this extremely "bigoted" and will wait (may be a long while though) to hear from others condemning this.

I'll elaborate if anyone thinks it's useful, but I agree 100% - hence my one-word post preceding yours. It's not even the only problematic post (or poster) on this page of this thread in that regard.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #6488
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As above, I have a problem with broad brushing any group of people from a faith (or race, gender, etc) like that.

(EDIT: Unless there's something inherent in their beliefs that would be part of the broad brush. For instance, if there was the "Club for Guys who hate Oreos", hating oreos is kindof in their name. Similarly, this fits into the "If you're voting for a particular candidate/political party, there are things you value some things more than other things" because otherwise, you'd vote for the other person)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-01-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #6489
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As above, I have a problem with broad brushing any group of people from a faith (or race, gender, etc) like that.

SI

Believe me when I say their faith is completely irrelevant. My comments and opinions are in no way critical of their religious beliefs. They are rooted in the fact they are a criminal enterprise hiding behind a religion. This isn’t akin to saying all Muslims are terrorists. It’s more like saying all members of isis are terrorists. I wish there was a better way to describe them, because I know how it comes across. You’ll just have to trust me when I say if you had experience with this group you would understand what I’m trying to say, albeit poorly.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #6490
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'll elaborate if anyone thinks it's useful, but I agree 100% - hence my one-word post preceding yours.

yeah my initial reaction is to agree 100% with this. The whole thing makes me extremely uncomfortable and if someone who was right leaning making the post I imagine there would be a ton of people jumping all over it. Wow, and ick.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #6491
tarcone
Coordinator

How have you never had a rhubarb pie? My all time favorite pie is Strawberry/rhubarb. Heat in the microwave and plop some vanilla ice cream on it and man I am in heaven. The right balance of sweet and tart. So, so good.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #6492
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
yeah my initial reaction is to agree 100% with this. The whole thing makes me extremely uncomfortable and if someone who was right leaning making the post I imagine there would be a ton of people jumping all over it. Wow, and ick.

We differ quite a bit but thank you for that acknowledgement about the hypocrisy.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #6493
JPhillips
General Manager

We have an Orthodox community in Orange County, and they have caused a number of problems refusing to follow state and county laws, and I find their treatment of women objectionable. That being said, I think Lathum goes way too far in his language and I called that out a while ago. The comparison to ISIS isn't much better.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #6494
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
How have you never had a rhubarb pie? My all time favorite pie is Strawberry/rhubarb. Heat in the microwave and plop some vanilla ice cream on it and man I am in heaven. The right balance of sweet and tart. So, so good.

My wife makes good pecan & blueberry pie. We also buy frozen pies once in a while but don't remember ever seeing frozen rhubarb pie (or maybe I never looked for it).

Yeah, vanilla (w/beans) ice cream is great on pies.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #6495
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It is clear I am doing a poor job explaining myself, and will probably just make it worse so I am just going to say I am sorry and move on. I have no hate in my heart and sorry it comes across like I do.

and I like pie.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #6496
whomario
Pro Starter

Highly recommended reading:

FAQs on Protecting Yourself from Aerosol Transmission - Google Docs

Group of scientists from different fields from collecting the current knowledge/consensus (but also unclear stuff) around transmission in general and aerosol transmission in particular.
Easily understandable, comprehensive and relatable to practical aspects. Done in FAQ style and thus can jump here and there depending on what piques your interest.

As an aside: Mother of a friend had to get testet as a known contact today. Said friend helped me and my parents move some furniture around yesterday, so fingers crossed she's negative (Results take 1-3 days ...)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #6497
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's only fair for me to mention, not to prolong the discussion or anything, that Lathum clearly wasn't comparing anyone to ISIS. That was an argument from logic.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #6498
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is the issue with sports in the Covid era...

Sale Sharks: Premiership game with Worcester Warriors to go ahead despite Covid-19 cases - BBC Sport

16 positive cases in a squad, but unwilling to not play as it will cost them a playoff spot. A ‘crucial’ game to play, maybe more crucial not to play
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #6499
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
This is the issue with sports in the Covid era...

Sale Sharks: Premiership game with Worcester Warriors to go ahead despite Covid-19 cases - BBC Sport

16 positive cases in a squad, but unwilling to not play as it will cost them a playoff spot. A ‘crucial’ game to play, maybe more crucial not to play
That's so wrong. These are times that require special precautions as we/they knew well ahead of time situations like this would come up. The schedules that were made, they knew there was a 99% chance that COVID-19 would show up and put games in danger. What happens if both teams have a positive case, do both lose by default, or does the team that was cowardly enough to report it last win?

The problem with forfeiting as a punishment, it will encourage to not properly test players and field infected players. Besides, why on earth do these sports teams need to be tested so thoroughly and take away from the testing capacity that's so scarce all across the globe. Many countries are still amidst their rising peak, while others are heavily battling their second wave, as governments start buying testing capacity across borders in bidding wars.

In the remainder of 2020 all team sports should have the same guideline: 1 positive case on a team and all the games of that team in the next 7, 10, 14 days (whatever the guidelines of quarantine are in their homeland) must be postponed. No exceptions.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #6500
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/healt...lts/index.html

I hesitate to post but I am hoping the CDC is back providing to non watered down information.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote