Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #3751
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Some great speeches tonight! Clinton and Warren nailed it and Obama is starting very well.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #3752
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I miss having a fully functioning adult as a President

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 08-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #3753
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
OK, it's time to retire the phrase "This is the most important election of our lifetime." This worn out cliche is trotted out ad nauseam every election cycle. I've heard this so much over the years that I'm starting to think I'm immortal.

I think a very serious argument could be made that this is the most important one in my lifetime.

SI

Old 08-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #3754
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kamala Harris is nailing this speech so far
Old 08-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #3755
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think a very serious argument could be made that this is the most important one in my lifetime.

SI

I would argue that to this point, that 2008 was...in 2008. It could have remained the most important, but 2016 became it, soley because of the Supreme Court. Of course, too many people couldn't see the fucking truth of that, and now 2020, for obviously insane reasons, at least from the perspective of you and I, that this is once again, the most important.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 08-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #3756
RainMaker
General Manager

The Obama speech was really good.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #3757
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Agreed

SI

Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #3758
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Kamala Harris is nailing this speech so far

It carried through to the end. Fantastic Vice President speech!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #3759
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Absolutely. I go back to Nixon re-elect, though I was only 1, and until Trump any other outcome than what happened wouldn't have made much difference. The Soviet Union would have still fallen, the tech boom would have still happened, 9/11, all of it. But if Trump wins again I think we turn down a very different path than if he loses.

My only hedge against saying that is that I expect the GOP to get even crazier and they could win in 2024 with an authoritarian who isn't lazy and purely self-obsessed.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #3760
Galaril
Pro Starter

Obama and Harris had great speeches. Clinton’s was good but thought Warrens fell flat.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-19-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #3761
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I would argue that to this point, that 2008 was...in 2008. It could have remained the most important, but 2016 became it, soley because of the Supreme Court. Of course, too many people couldn't see the fucking truth of that, and now 2020, for obviously insane reasons, at least from the perspective of you and I, that this is once again, the most important.

Until 2024.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #3762
JPhillips
General Manager

Dems come out with an inspiring message this morning. From the Biden campaign, the deficit won't really let us do anything. From the Dem Senate, if the GOP filibusters everything we may consider eliminating the filibuster, but let's wait and see.

Oh, well, we can't do anything will surely be an inspiring message for the 2022 mid-terms.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #3763
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In my lifetime, I would guess that 1976 felt like "the most important" election (first post-Watergate). 1980 (Reagan revolution) turned out to be, but I don't think it was marketed that way at the time. 1984 wasn't. 1988 wasn't. 1992 wasn't. 1996 wasn't. 2000 wasn't. 2004 was (first post 9/11). 2008 was (economic disaster). 2012 wasn't. 2016 was (Trump was a candidate). 2020 is (Trump is a candidate).
Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #3764
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

His pauses were

wait for it

LONG.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #3765
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So Biden speaks tonight.

If he manages to give a speech worthy of MLK and Reagan but has one 5 second bit where he stumbles over a word, then the headlines tomorrow will all scream DEMENTIA!!!!!!!!!

So that will be fun.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #3766
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Until 2024.

Not if The Orange Douche is still in the WH. It won't matter at all, because he will bequeath his title to whichever family member deserves it best. I certainly won't have any say over it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 08-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #3767
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So Biden speaks tonight.

If he manages to give a speech worthy of MLK and Reagan but has one 5 second bit where he stumbles over a word, then the headlines tomorrow will all scream DEMENTIA!!!!!!!!!

So that will be fun.

Will it be recorded ahead of time?
Old 08-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #3768
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Will it be recorded ahead of time?

I’m assuming it’s going to be Live. Kamala Harris’ speech was live. And if Biden does not do it live then people are going to talk.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #3769
BYU 14
Coordinator

i think he will be fine doing it live. Stick to your script, speak from the heart. I worry about him in debates getting pulled into the Trump vortex
Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #3770
JPhillips
General Manager

Biden's not a great speaker, but he'll be fine. Look at his recent live speeches. He's fine.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #3771
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Biden's not a great speaker, but he'll be fine. Look at his recent live speeches. He's fine.

I think that he will be fine.

But I also think that he will need to be perfect b/c BIDEN DEMENTIA! is such a juicy story for the media. All about 'dem clicks.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #3772
JPhillips
General Manager

He won't be perfect. He'll almost certainly stutter, because he does that. But he ain't senile and saying so is a lie.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #3773
Swaggs
Coordinator

Biden did fine in the final DNC debate where it was just he and Sanders. He can have a teleprompter, a production team, his speech prepared beforehand, etc. for this one. Plus, he was on the stump for a good 7-8 months before Covid hit. He should be fine.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #3774
spleen1015
Coordinator

He knows what Trump is going to do. He knows Trump's comebacks are going to be more of a bullying nature. So, he can prepare for that.

I am hoping for a few good burns from Biden during the debates.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #3775
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If I'm him, I have the "No, Donald, that's not Biden's America you're talking about - it's your America. Right here. Right now." Pick whatever point you want to use it on the best because that line needs to land.

SI

Old 08-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #3776
Jas_lov
College Starter

Biden's doing a pretty good job. Talking right into the camera with good energy.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #3777
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Biden's doing a pretty good job. Talking right into the camera with good energy.

Yeah I am biased but I never expected it to be this good. That could just be the bar is so low but he is a hell of a lot better than Trump regardless.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-20-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #3778
JPhillips
General Manager

Can we please put the senile bullshit to bed now?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #3779
Drake
assmaster

I'm gonna call that speech a win.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #3780
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Can we please put the senile bullshit to bed now?

Yeah no kidding. I met Joe many years ago when I served in Bosnia in the 90s when I was a captain in the US Air Force during Operation Deliberate Force. I can say from the 45 second conversation he is genuine and a very decent human being.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-20-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #3781
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Biden hit a home run when he needed it most. One of the best speeches I've heard him give. I really loved the light/dark dichtomy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #3782
Edward64
Head Coach

Agree that he did well. I liked the ending about "soul of the country" (or was it nation).

I liked the other contenders coming together to talk about Joe (it would also have been great with a quick, joint Obama-Bill lead-in) . I thought Bloomberg was solid. His son & daughter and they bringing Hunter into the loop was great.

I'm not sure I liked the stuttering kid, it seemed too self serving but I could go either way.

Joe's autobiography was a tad long. I didn't like Julia Dreyfus as MC cracking jokes about Trump, didn't seem appropriate on the final night (did she do all 4 nights?). Jill coming to podium with a bunch of heads on TVs clapping seemed awkward also.

Alright ... it's time for a Trump vs Biden thread, someone going to start it?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #3783
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The GOP is usually so good at those little strategic political things like setting expectations that it's amazing to see them fail so hard here. The problem is Trump doesn't understand or care about stuff like that. He can't help but insult Biden's intelligence at every turn.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 08-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #3784
JPhillips
General Manager

These are great insights from the black voters in SC that revived Biden's campaign.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #3785
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The GOP is usually so good at those little strategic political things like setting expectations that it's amazing to see them fail so hard here. The problem is Trump doesn't understand or care about stuff like that. He can't help but insult Biden's intelligence at every turn.

What's Latin for "pettiness over strategery"?

SI

Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #3786
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Agree that he did well. I liked the ending about "soul of the country" (or was it nation).

I liked the other contenders coming together to talk about Joe (it would also have been great with a quick, joint Obama-Bill lead-in) . I thought Bloomberg was solid. His son & daughter and they bringing Hunter into the loop was great.

I'm not sure I liked the stuttering kid, it seemed too self serving but I could go either way.

Joe's autobiography was a tad long. I didn't like Julia Dreyfus as MC cracking jokes about Trump, didn't seem appropriate on the final night (did she do all 4 nights?). Jill coming to podium with a bunch of heads on TVs clapping seemed awkward also.

Alright ... it's time for a Trump vs Biden thread, someone going to start it?

I think the stuttering kid was brilliant on multiple levels and will be what people are talking about tomorrow. He had my wife (the suburban educated mother ie: the Obama-Trump swing voter) in tears, so I’d imagine his inclusion wasn’t for folks like most of us on this board and that it hit its mark well. I think it sends out the message that, “hey, you’re an asshole if you pick on people like this kid (who stutters like Biden)” and that it takes some bravery to power through a disability (like the kid and Biden).
Old 08-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #3787
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Old 08-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #3788
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I didn't watch the speech, but I am happy that I was wrong about predicting this morning's headlines.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #3789
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was trying to think of Dems who might speak at the RNC, and really Gabbard was the only one that came to mind immediately.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #3790
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm assumig conservatives will also want Joe Walsh to speak at the RNC.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #3791
RainMaker
General Manager

Not a lot of policy coming out of the convention. Seems like the campaign is just "you hate Trump so vote for me". Didn't work for Clinton but Joe is more likable. Still think they're in for a surprise if they don't do something to encourage youth voting.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #3792
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think policy matters in terms of the politics of this race, and I'm one that still believes nobody knows what Dems stand for. Right now the election is on very favorable ground for Biden. The argument right now is Biden saying Trump has been incompetent and malicious while Trump says, no I haven't and wanders off to talk about sharks and Sir stories. That's a great place for Biden.

Maybe that changes next week and maybe Biden pays for his lack of policy vision. A skilled GOP candidate could do that, but I doubt Trump can. As long as Trump's "policy" is that he's the only thing standing between white people and their black/brown rapists/murderers, Biden doesn't need to talk policy much and shouldn't spend his time on policy.

At the moment, the campaign goes like this:

Biden: Trump is a threat to the soul of the nation.
Trump: I'll take over Democrat cities and set the police to destroy Black Lives Matter.
Biden: See what I mean?

edit: That's the pitch to swing voters, and I don't think any policy proposals work better than that.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-21-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #3793
RainMaker
General Manager

Just saying it was a strategy that didn't do well in 2016. At some point your party has to stand for something.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #3794
Butter
Coordinator

It's funny that you think people listen to policy at this point. Like a double digit percentage of people are opposed to a COVID vaccine, but you think facts matter. Funny
Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #3795
RainMaker
General Manager

I think some people would like a reason to vote that goes beyond "he's not Trump". Maybe the party wouldn't be a doormat for another decade if they stood for something that people cared about.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #3796
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Not a lot of policy coming out of the convention. Seems like the campaign is just "you hate Trump so vote for me". Didn't work for Clinton but Joe is more likable. Still think they're in for a surprise if they don't do something to encourage youth voting.
Ok, so here is your job. What major policy initiative do you introduce/highlight that gets youth to the polls but doesn't lose you the voters that you know will show up?
Old 08-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #3797
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I think some people would like a reason to vote that goes beyond "he's not Trump". Maybe the party wouldn't be a doormat for another decade if they stood for something that people cared about.

I think this has been a problem and will be a big problem in 2022, but right now making this a policy election would only hurt Biden. The best strategy is to ask, do you want four more years of this shit?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #3798
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, so here is your job. What major policy initiative do you introduce/highlight that gets youth to the polls but doesn't lose you the voters that you know will show up?

Student loan relief and affordable health care options are a good start since they poll at the top among young voters.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #3799
JPhillips
General Manager

Depending on what you offer, though, those are both net negatives.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #3800
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Student loan relief and affordable health care options are a good start since they poll at the top among young voters.

I know A LOT of people on both side of the aisle who feel like they paid their loans and the younger generation should also. Hell, I feel that way sometimes, or at the very least ask what they would do for someone like myself who paid his loans off. I think student loan relief would be a nightmare platform with older dems and certainly undecideds. A lot of people already feel like younger generations get away with too much.
Closed Thread