Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #501
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Wizards are doing everything in their power to become a late lottery/low playoff team. At least it should be fun in a few years to figure out where Wall goes as a free agent.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #502
whomario
Pro Starter

i disagree on that. Certainly Hinrich is a tad bit overpaid, but i fail to see the Miami strategy working with trotting out 2 or 3 super stars that may or may not be able to coexist on the court (Wade and Lebron need the ball all the time, fact) and then a bunch of 2nd round draft picks, minimum players and veterans that may or may not sign for minimum contracts "to play with Lebron and Wade" (not much of that hapened in Cleveland and miami recently, did it ?).

The Wizards still have the cap space to pursue a max player or 2 very good FAs, heck they might even find a team stupid enough to take on Arenas in a sign and trade.

Not a Washington fan, but i really fail to see how their strategy is all that bad really ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #503
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The thing is they are unlikely to keep Hinrich or Yi after 2011. If they were parts of a long term strategy it might make sense, but getting an extra five or ten wins in 2010 is detrimental to their long-term success.

You've got to have two top players to win a championship regardless of your other ten. IF they can land a top free agent great, but it's more likely they end up with a second tier guy and a team that won't ever compete for a championship. In other words a team a whole lot like the one they just blew up.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #505
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not a surprise. He was always going to opt out so that he could get one more contract before retirement. Better to do it now than a year from now coming off who knows what kind of season.

He's been on-the-record as saying he intends to retire as a Celtic though, so I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Tough call for the Celtics. I'm sure Ainge would rather have an aging big three, and improving supporting cast for one more season, but he can't be excited about committing long-term to Pierce and Allen to do it.

I'm usually against the "blow it up" theory when it comes to team construction. It usually doesn't work out. Re-loading and re-tooling is usually a better strategy. And I'd usually rather my team be at least a playoff contender, than be god-awful for 5 years with an outside chance of being better after that if everything falls into place.

But since the C's have won a title with this group, I'd be a little more content to have a few terrible years going forward.

Last edited by molson : 06-30-2010 at 10:07 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #506
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't want to let Pierce go though. Guy needs to retire with the Celtics. He would fall under my clause in FM or even in DDS:PB of "he's been here long enough to deserve to retire with me...even if that means hurting the greater good of the team."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #507
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Celtics are made for a text sim. In real life you can't let Allen and Pierce go, but I'd love to see it happen as well as trading Garnett. They've got a star in Rondo and it wouldn't take that much to put them in contention for years.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #508
Logan
Head Coach

You can absolutely let Allen go in real life.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #509
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The problem with letting Allen go is they won't be able to sign anyone to replace him.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #510
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The problem with letting Allen go is they won't be able to sign anyone to replace him.

Give me Mike Miller at the MLE and I'd be happy.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #511
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post

No way. I also think Allen doesn't really want to leave. He's comfortable here...his kid has diabetes and there's nowhere better in the world to be in that instance there here in Boston...he's got Rondo to get him plenty of wide-open 3's...etc.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #512
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No way. I also think Allen doesn't really want to leave. He's comfortable here...his kid has diabetes and there's nowhere better in the world to be in that instance there here in Boston...he's got Rondo to get him plenty of wide-open 3's...etc.

I agree that I don't think Ray wants to leave, but why no love for a Mike Miller at the Mid-Level? I haven't checked the stats, but Miller is an upgrade on the boards, and I'm not sure his shooting is that much worse than Ray's (albeit different shot attempts I'm sure).
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #513
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently the Hawks have made a max offer deal to Joe Johnson. Knicks are going to be fucked if this is true. Hello Carlos Boozer and Paul Pierce?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #514
whomario
Pro Starter

Mike Miller has been aparently auditioning for a role on a contender for 2 years now by simply deciding not to shoot that damn ball anymore going from 14 and 12 FGAs his last 2 seasons in Memphis to shooting just 7.5 and 8 times in Minnesota and Washington with no one really knowing why the heck that happened.
Imo the guy should be right up there for every single "contender". Not because of that little annecdote but because his skill set on offense would be great for a lot of teams, great shooter and great passer as well as a very competent rebounder (6+ boards and 4+ assists the last 2 years).

@ JPhillips : I love Rondo, but i donīt think you can win with him as the guy every defense focuses on or as your clear best player. Not that type of player.
And itīs not like the Celtics have any real talented guys on the bench to step in, those are role players and nothing more.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-30-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #515
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I won't comment on the fact that Atlanta offering max to Johnson is absurd, should be obvious.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #516
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Chad Ford is reporting that Miami is looking into a Beasley + Chalmers for Bosh sign and trade. The move would give Toronto the two players plus a $10 million trade exception.

If this happens and Miami signs Wade, Bosh and Lebron - they would need to fill the other nine roster spots with minimum salary guys. You don't get the MLE or LLE if you are under the cap at the start of FA. I don't see how Miami can win a title with "the big 3" and 9 min-salary guys. Even Boston had 5-6 "role players" making more money than the minimum when they won.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #517
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Mike Miller has been aparently auditioning for a role on a contender for 2 years now by simply deciding not to shoot that damn ball anymore going from 14 and 12 FGAs his last 2 seasons in Memphis to shooting just 7.5 and 8 times in Minnesota and Washington with no one really knowing why the heck that happened.
Imo the guy should be right up there for every single "contender". Not because of that little annecdote but because his skill set on offense would be great for a lot of teams, great shooter and great passer as well as a very competent rebounder (6+ boards and 4+ assists the last 2 years).

@ JPhillips : I love Rondo, but i donīt think you can win with him as the guy every defense focuses on or as your clear best player. Not that type of player.
And itīs not like the Celtics have any real talented guys on the bench to step in, those are role players and nothing more.

In real life you can't blow up the Celtics, but it would be a great text sim challenge.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #518
Logan
Head Coach

If the Knicks don't sign any of the main guys (which really means either Wade or LeBron, cause I don't see Bosh making a difference alone) they would be so much better off just filling out the roster with relatively cheap guys for 1-2 years. Then use the available cap space to acquire assets down the line like how they've been victimized in recent years, maybe you take back a bad salary but you add a #1 or multiple #1s to do it. 2011 is screwed since the pick they will swap with Houston is only protected for the first overall, but after that the 2012 pick they owe them is top 5 protected through 2015.

They need young talent on the roster. If LeBron or Wade wouldn't come here to be the man among a shit roster, no one after will until the talent throughout the team grows.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #519
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wonder if it's time to revisit this whole "max contract" idea.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #520
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In real life you can't blow up the Celtics, but it would be a great text sim challenge.

yeah, kind of didnīt recognize that before i hit send
That would definitely be true

I have absolutely no idea what will happen, pretty sure no one has and everybody who gets a predicition right will do so by accident.

My take : Of the big 8 (Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Nowitzki, Johnson, Pierce, Boozer) 6 stay right where they are now and of the other 2 i see one end up at a team with no cap space (sign & trade) and another in New York.
Maybe

I would kill to see Nowitzki in a Rockets jersey, how awesome would that be ? For some weird reason i donīt like Bosh on the field, although on paper heīd definitely mash well with Yao up front but would definitely have to play some Center with the existing Roster, which he reportedly refuses (but that might be just if its a full time gig)
Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #521
Desnudo
Coordinator

Primer on the Celtics cap situation

Confused by the cap? Here's a primer
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #522
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Would you rather have Mike Miller at the MLE, or Allen and someone else at the MLE?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #523
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey whomario,

Not sure how much you pay attention to all Euro bball matters, but are you hearing anything about Sofokles "Baby Shaq" Schortsanitis possible coming over (finally) to the Clippers?

Found a link on a Clippers fan board that showed him as coming to LA today to meet with staff and possible negotiate a deal. He would also participate in the summer workouts (not sure if he would play in the summer league).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow....Baby Shaq....they still make that?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #525
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Would you rather have Mike Miller at the MLE, or Allen and someone else at the MLE?

Absolutely Allen+ at the MLE, but I think Ray will be asking for more than MLE money by himself, no way they'd be splitting it between him and someone substantial.

IMO
Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #526
molson
General Manager

Doc Rivers says he's coming back for the final year of his contract, and specifically said, "I want another crack at it with this group." Which makes me think Pierce is coming back.

I don't think Allen is all that important anymore. Certainly not important enough to commit another big, multi-year deal to.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #527
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Absolutely Allen+ at the MLE, but I think Ray will be asking for more than MLE money by himself, no way they'd be splitting it between him and someone substantial.

IMO

Right but they can Bird-year him in and use the full MLE elsewhere, no?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #528
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Primer on the Celtics cap situation

Confused by the cap? Here's a primer

Reads like a make-work program for unemployed accountants.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #529
molson
General Manager

Quote:

They could, but how many future contract years (into the rebuliding project after next season) do you want to commit to Ray Allen?

Last edited by molson : 06-30-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #530
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Well, we're just talking Wyc's money, right? Sign him, don't sign him, the cap is pretty much the same anyway.

edit: This is assuming that said rebuilding program is going to take a while anyway.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #531
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hey whomario,

Not sure how much you pay attention to all Euro bball matters, but are you hearing anything about Sofokles "Baby Shaq" Schortsanitis possible coming over (finally) to the Clippers?

Found a link on a Clippers fan board that showed him as coming to LA today to meet with staff and possible negotiate a deal. He would also participate in the summer workouts (not sure if he would play in the summer league).

Must admit that i havenīt paid all that much attention this year in between being away from civilisation (well, the internet at least) for 3 weeks and now the world cup and all, but i also read on a few pages from around Europe that heīs going to go over.
His contract is up and he reportedly is in the best shape of his career (again ...) and wants to give it a try.
Numbers i read range from about 6-8 mio dollars for 3 years.

However heīs on the Greece Roster for the World Championship and itīs really an either/or decicion between summer league and that. If the Clippers think they need to see him in Vegas than heīll likely not make the jump and simply sign a new contract with Olympiacos (which is on the table for him to sign)

Have no idea if heīd fit in the NBA, the guy is such a unique player itīs really hard to project him. I mean, the guy barely plays 15 minutes over here but when heīs on the court he annihilates defenses to the tune of 8 PPG in 13 minutes in the euroleague and 10 PPG in 14 MPG in the Euroleague.
Thatīs propably the role he could fill in the NBA as well, sparkplug (weird to say that about a big man) that comes in and does one thing really well, that thing being Pick and Roll offense.

He will never play more than 20 minutes a game or be anything close to resembling an all around player.

EDIT : Want more weird and unique ? The guy played competitive chess before turning to basketball ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-30-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #532
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
IIRC, with Pierce opting out, the Celtics don't get the MLE since they are starting the offseason under the cap.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #533
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
IIRC, with Pierce opting out, the Celtics don't get the MLE since they are starting the offseason under the cap.

I think they would still have to renounce Pierce, because they would still have his bird rights correct?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #534
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I think they would still have to renounce Pierce, because they would still have his bird rights correct?
Yeah, you're right. As long as they have the bird rights, he counts for being over the cap and the MLE.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #535
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
(Wade and Lebron need the ball all the time, fact)
Where do you get this from? Lebron is one of the better passers in the league and has shown no problem delegating to his teammates. Wade has done the same in situations where it was warranted. This isn't Kobe we're talking about who will cry if he doesn't get his 20 shots, these guys have shown that they can work well with others.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #536
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where do you get this from? Lebron is one of the better passers in the league and has shown no problem delegating to his teammates. Wade has done the same in situations where it was warranted. This isn't Kobe we're talking about who will cry if he doesn't get his 20 shots, these guys have shown that they can work well with others.

I think he means they both like to bring the ball up and control the game.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #537
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Your bitterness is noted
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #538
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ok, I admit. I love crazy Russian billionaire guy.

Mikhail Prokhorov Put Up a Nets Mural at Madison Square Garden - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
When Mikhail Prokhorov assumed control of the Nets just a few months ago, he claimed that he wanted to make the Nets the biggest team in the world. Implicit in that statement was that he also wanted them to be the biggest team in the New York area, a title currently held by the traditional favorites, the New York Knicks.

However, with the Knicks mired in a string of losing seasons and looking unlikely to make a significant splash during the free agent period, Prokhorov smells blood. So he’s reacting by putting up a giant mural for the Nets right near the Mecca of basketball. From the New York Post:

Upstart New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has penetrated New York’s shabby defense with a towering 225-foot mural touting his team just yards from where the Knicks hold court.

Prokhorov teams up with hip-hop mogul Jay-Z on a mural proclaiming “The blueprint for greatness.” It looms above Madison Square Garden on Eighth Avenue and 34th Street with the heading “the blueprint for greatness” and a Nets logo that’s bigger than a backboard.

The mural isn’t finished yet, but it will be completed by tomorrow. You know, just in time for the Nets to pick up an excellent player in free agency and have the Knicks and their fans end up disappointed.

This is exactly the kind of brash move Prokhorov promised when he took over the franchise. It could backfire if the Knicks do somehow lure LeBron James(notes) (or even Chris Bosh(notes)) to New York, but that doesn’t seem very likely.

Knicks fans are loyal and unlikely to make a clean break for the Nets. But Prokhorov can at least get people to pay attention to the Nets. Then, maybe they’ll decide to go to the game or watch more of their games on television. New fans will see a team with a larger profile, and when it comes time to pick a team, maybe they’ll go for the Nets.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #539
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Must admit that i havenīt paid all that much attention this year in between being away from civilisation (well, the internet at least) for 3 weeks and now the world cup and all, but i also read on a few pages from around Europe that heīs going to go over.
His contract is up and he reportedly is in the best shape of his career (again ...) and wants to give it a try.
Numbers i read range from about 6-8 mio dollars for 3 years.

However heīs on the Greece Roster for the World Championship and itīs really an either/or decicion between summer league and that. If the Clippers think they need to see him in Vegas than heīll likely not make the jump and simply sign a new contract with Olympiacos (which is on the table for him to sign)

Have no idea if heīd fit in the NBA, the guy is such a unique player itīs really hard to project him. I mean, the guy barely plays 15 minutes over here but when heīs on the court he annihilates defenses to the tune of 8 PPG in 13 minutes in the euroleague and 10 PPG in 14 MPG in the Euroleague.
Thatīs propably the role he could fill in the NBA as well, sparkplug (weird to say that about a big man) that comes in and does one thing really well, that thing being Pick and Roll offense.

He will never play more than 20 minutes a game or be anything close to resembling an all around player.

EDIT : Want more weird and unique ? The guy played competitive chess before turning to basketball ...

Didn't know all that. Pretty neat and informative. Thanks, whomario. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #540
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, why do you say he won't ever play more than 20? Because of his weight? Not challenging, just curious. Heck, even Oliver Miller played more than 20 mins in his prime, and he was bigger than MSG.

Maybe we need to get Baby Shaq away from Greek food.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #541
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
. Heck, even Oliver Miller played more than 20 mins in his prime, and he was bigger than MSG.

So this made me wonder how much Oliver Miller must weigh now, I googled him, and it turns out he's still playing, at 40 years old, for the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry of something called the Premiere Basketball League.

So he's available.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #542
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:

BOO!

Quote:
I agree that I don't think Ray wants to leave, but why no love for a Mike Miller at the Mid-Level? I haven't checked the stats, but Miller is an upgrade on the boards, and I'm not sure his shooting is that much worse than Ray's (albeit different shot attempts I'm sure).

Yeah!

Quote:

Jerk.

Quote:

I'd rather have me!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #543
RedKingGold
College Starter

(To get what I just did, you'll have to know that my real name is Mike Miler).
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #544
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
(To get what I just did, you'll have to know that my real name is Mike Miler).

So you going to sign with the Celtics and the MLE if they let Allen sign elsewhere?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #545
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So this made me wonder how much Oliver Miller must weigh now, I googled him, and it turns out he's still playing, at 40 years old, for the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry of something called the Premiere Basketball League.

So he's available.

So much does Oliver weigh now, per the team website?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #546
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Your bitterness is noted
It's not bitterness, my favorite player of all time Michael Jordan was the same way. They were guys who needed to "get theirs".

Lebron is more Magic Johnson than Kobe/Jordan. He's a guy who could legitimately average a triple double for the season on the right team (I think he would do it on this Miami team if he got the minutes). I'm just trying to debunk this notion that just because they are superstars, they don't have the ability to play with one another.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RICHARD JEFFERSON OPTED OUT OF 15M.

What the fuck.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #548
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
RICHARD JEFFERSON OPTED OUT OF 15M.

What the fuck.

Wow.

And he thinks he can still get around $10mil a year too for a multi-year deal. I guess he really hated his time in San Antonio, but I can't imagine his stock has ever been lower than it is right now.

I guess there are going to be at least 1 or 2 teams with cap space that walk away without one of the A-grade guys, but even so Jefferson is a C-grade free agent... I doubt he gets more than mid-level money.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #549
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know how he did this. His ceiling is a 5 year MLE deal. It is likely he gives away his next 3 years for 15M.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #550
Arles
Grey Dog Software

New York Knick fans - Your reward for the last 3 years of "sucktitude" and gaining cap space is.....

Richard Jefferson and David Lee

Sorry, couldn't resist

Last edited by Arles : 06-30-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote