Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: If Trump Loses In November, What Do You Think Happens Next
Normal transition of power. He meets with Biden, stays until 1/20, comes to inauguration, etc. 5 5.56%
He doesn't fight the result, but resigns prior to the inauguration. 2 2.22%
He fights the result but gives up shortly before the inauguration (let's define "shortly" as "some time after the EC meets on 12/14") 30 33.33%
He fights the result all the way to January 20th. Has to be physically removed. 12 13.33%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up and resigns before the inauguration 6 6.67%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up an then we have a normal transition as per option 1. 30 33.33%
Other. (You know you gotta specify this one.) 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2023, 01:16 PM   #7001
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wait. Did the Republicans cheer because they thought 216 was a majority of 432? That really happened?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:59 PM   #7002
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
McCarthy didn't do the math, again. Mike Rogers from Alabama almost hit Gaetz

Rogers was really drunk. His colleague saved him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:00 PM   #7003
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I don't buy at all that is how it will work.

Me neither. It's like Manchin all over again only the shoe is on the other foot, and much worse given how hard it was to get a horrible Speaker elected. It's a near-even split in a polarized political environment. That means nothing even remotely divisive gets passed, and these days almost everything is divisive. It's not about whether that's a good idea or not, it's just political reality.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-07-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #7004
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
Here's another poll just before. PA, GA, AZ all battleground states.

I mean, I never said independents didn't vote for Democrats overall which is what your links show, so now we're essentially moving the goalposts to a much different discussion. My point was that we don't have any good reason to say they did so because of the hearings.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #7005
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Me neither. It's like Manchin all over again only the shoe is on the other foot, and much worse given how hard it was to get a horrible Speaker elected. It's a near-even split in a polarized political environment. That means nothing even remotely divisive gets passed, and these days almost everything is divisive. It's not about whether that's a good idea or not, it's just political reality.
This what I expect the Debt Ceiling Debate to be like:

"The Freedom Caucus wants 10 percent of all non-miltary spending cut, abolishing the IRS and the Department of Education, and a brown pony."
"Is there any room for negotiation?"
"We may also accept a grey pony if Biden resigns."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:17 PM   #7006
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's the other stuff that's going to be awful. Like letting Congressmen who are being investigated investigate their own investigations. Getting rid of or curtailing the ethics committee, because several of them ignored valid subpoenas and were referred. It's hard to take any of them seriously, even if I generally support a couple of the things mentioned above, when they just authorized a 24 hour a day sideshow into conspiracies and shutting down valid inquiries into their own behavior.

So, four days of normal behavior (the House gets nothing done, though there was almost a fistfight, which would have at least provided some entertainment). No one seems happy with the changes, but there was a group of 220 people who could have, at any moment, shut down the "Freedom Caucus" in an instant by directing 20 of them to vote for McCarthy.

From this I have to conclude that the spectacle of four days of nothing, spun as some sort of sign that chaos is going on, was far more important to them than the rule changes.

And people wonder why Congress currently has a 62%-27% disapproval rate in polling (RCP average over the last couple of months), and approval has actually polled in single digits at times over the last few years. They are incapable of understanding the absolute bipartisan hatred of how they conduct themselves.

The House will never be worth a damn as long as state legislatures continue to gerrymander districts to create safe seats. Aside from Boebert's absolutely legendary display of incompetence in nearly losing a seat that was impossible to lose, this is the process that creates the collection of extremists and useless political lifers that populates the House. Ultimately, state politics is to blame everywhere - this process protects corruption and cronyism and provides stability for those who crave power. Every two years, you look at row after row after row of landslides for these House seats - even in purple states. That is by design and is in direction opposition from the interests of the public.

If the Republicans would like to piss away the next two years "investigating" whatever it is they think should be part of this tit-for-tat festival of preening before the cameras, the only things I'm certain about are that nothing of any importance will be done in Congress and that approval rating will remain far, far below even Trump's abysmal approval rating.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:37 PM   #7007
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I mean, I never said independents didn't vote for Democrats overall which is what your links show, so now we're essentially moving the goalposts to a much different discussion. My point was that we don't have any good reason to say they did so because of the hearings.

Okay, if your ask is specifically show/prove me some polls that Independents swung Dem in mid-terms because they were influenced by Jan 6 hearings, I'll say I cannot show that specific connection because I've not been able to find any polls that asked/surveyed Independents this specifically. (And in reverse, you cannot show there wasn't a connection either)

If you are okay with surveys showing that Independents swung Dem because of X, Y, Z and "anti-Trump, anti-MAGA, anti-extremism" or equivalent, then I can dig up some stuff.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-07-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #7008
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This what I expect the Debt Ceiling Debate to be like:

"The Freedom Caucus wants 10 percent of all non-miltary spending cut, abolishing the IRS and the Department of Education, and a brown pony."
"Is there any room for negotiation?"
"We may also accept a grey pony if Biden resigns."

That's actually not what I was thinking. I was thinking more like:
Drama Queen Gaetz - I don't care if 90% of Rep is okay with this Immigration Bill, I don't like X

Comeback Kid McCarthy - Well tough, 90% of Rep are okay with this and the Dems will go along

Drama Queen Gaetz - I'm going to vacate your ass

Comeback Kid McCarthy - (goes to Hakeem) Hey Hakeem buddy, I have a situation here. Can you back me up if I need you to? Otherwise, your Immigration Bill will be in trouble

Jeffries - (hmmm, which Rep could replace McCarthy? Boebert, no. Gaetz, no. Scalise, maybe. Probably better to have McCarthy's back)

Jeffries - okay Comeback Kid, the Dems will have your back but we need this one small concession
But yeah, I prefaced my original statement with "arguably". With Trump seemingly closing the deal for McCarthy last night, the odds are less now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-07-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #7009
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
For (3) & (4), miami_fan is asking "so what".

A little detour so you know where I'm coming from ...

So specifically for the Jan 6 investigation - a "single source of truth" has been established and in the history books. It really doesn't matter there are still some deniers. The victors write the history books and unless MAGA takes over Congress and writes something that supersedes the Jan 6 report, these findings & recommendations are here to stay.

I am only going to address 3 and 4. Let start by going to your quote as I think that is where the divide starts.

Quote:
My background is implementing ERP systems for Fortune 500 companies. It is not unusual that $20B+ companies have several, disparate systems that contains the same basic info (e.g. number of employees) but may NOT match each other because one system(s) isn't updated regularly or there are different definitions of what an employee is etc.

As part of what I do, I implement systems with agreed upon "single source of truth" for different pieces of data. Every company wants to get their information from the "source of truth". It saves confusion, ultimately money, and provides timely & accurate reports for management

I assume that you are using a company as a metaphor for the country and specifically the report as a "single source of truth" for this event. If that is the case, who agreed upon the report as being the single source of truth in the case? Are you aware that the House Republicans also released a report about what happened on January 6th with its own findings and recommendations?

https://banks.house.gov/uploadedfile...ation_real.pdf

So we have one report led by D's and one report led by R's. Official government reports about the events of January 6th. Which one is the single source of truth? Which one is the source for those history books? Now you may choose to go with the first version. I may choose to go with the first version. But if 35-40% of the country choose to go with the second version and X number don't actually read either report, there is a good chance that a large number of those history books won't mention the existence of the first report as we have seen many other things in history. In an actual company someone (Owner, CEO, President, department heads etc) would establish that the House report was the single source of truth and any use and/or creation of any other "sources of truth" would result in some discipline. I don't expect to see that any time soon.

Quote:
Jan 6 investigation also stands out as the key recommendations are somewhat toothless (e.g. recommending Trump to be barred). However, in my above list of 3 other congressional investigations, I don't think those recommendations were toothless.

I will also contend the Jan 6 did have an impact on the mid-terms. Maybe not directly but certainly in the psyche of independent voters. Also, it's impact is yet to be seen in 2024 if Trump stays in it.

In those other three investigations, we were actually trying to fix actual issues with the systems in the government that had failed. The vast majority of the country agreed with the basic tenets and facts of the investigation. People were actually waiting an average of 115 days to see a provider and dying as a result. Katrina was a failure of initiative. 9/11 was a security and intelligence failure. We could have strong recommendations in those cases because it benefited both sides to get those systems fixed. We still have not figured out what to call the events of January 6th because the terminology may be too harsh or too soft depending on one's political POV. How the hell are the recommendation going to be strong? To paraphrase from your quote, some of us are too invested in creating confusion, spreading untimely & inaccurate reports which are just a waste of money for their own political benefits. TBH, I don't think we could get the 9/11 report accomplished today given where we are in this political environment.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #7010
GrantDawg

Quote:
That's actually not what I was thinking. I was thinking more like:
Drama Queen Gaetz - I don't care if 90% of Rep is okay with this Immigration Bill, I don't like X

Comeback Kid McCarthy - Well tough, 90% of Rep are okay with this and the Dems will go along

Drama Queen Gaetz - I'm going to vacate your ass

Comeback Kid McCarthy - (goes to Hakeem) Hey Hakeem buddy, I have a situation here. Can you back me up if I need you to? Otherwise, your Immigration Bill will be in trouble

Jeffries - (hmmm, which Rep could replace McCarthy? Boebert, no. Gaetz, no. Scalise, maybe. Probably better to have McCarthy's back)

Jeffries - okay Comeback Kid, the Dems will have your back but we need this one small concession
But yeah, I prefaced my original statement with "arguably". With Trump seemingly closing the deal for McCarthy last night, the odds are less now.
But that is absolutely not what is going to happen, because it won't be just one drama queen. It will be the whole freedom caucus, and every moderate that is afraid of getting primaried. McCarthy will not go against those numbers in his party, and the Democrats are not going to save him from himself. Especially after the full scorched-earth investigations they are going to be performing.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #7011
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I assume that you are using a company as a metaphor for the country and specifically the report as a "single source of truth" for this event.

Yes. Country = Company, Jan 6 Report = single source of truth

Quote:
If that is the case, who agreed upon the report as being the single source of truth in the case? Are you aware that the House Republicans also released a report about what happened on January 6th with its own findings and recommendations?

https://banks.house.gov/uploadedfile...ation_real.pdf
I actually did know but didn't pay it much attention. I expect much the same for the Dems and Independents. For the Reps, they'll be too busy attacking the final report instead of proclaiming Banks version as accurate. Either way, the emphasis, the attention, the news, the social media ... mostly on the final report, not on Banks one-off.

Quote:
So we have one report led by D's and one report led by R's. Official government reports about the events of January 6th. Which one is the single source of truth? Which one is the source for those history books? Now you may choose to go with the first version. I may choose to go with the first version. But if 35-40% of the country choose to go with the second version and X number don't actually read either report, there is a good chance that a large number of those history books won't mention the existence of the first report as we have seen many other things in history.

I'm pretty sure the first one will be reported in the history books. Now, there may be a couple paragraphs about the GOP dissenting opinions and that's okay. The final report does have (limited) bi-partisan support so that provides more credibility I can't prove that'll happen so maybe in 10 years time we'll see.

Can you think of a minority/dissenting opinion/report in any congressional investigations that have superseded the final report or even come close to superseding? I honestly can't think of one

Quote:
In an actual company someone (Owner, CEO, President, department heads etc) would establish that the House report was the single source of truth and any use and/or creation of any other "sources of truth" would result in some discipline. I don't expect to see that any time soon.
I don't dispute this could happen in some areas but in my area of expertise, you basically have the true data. You can "fudge" with different assumptions or definitions (e.g. we have 50K employees + 5K contractors, but these 20 are special and I don't want them counted), but there is transparency across the organization and the exceptions are known.

So in this analogy. The facts are known, documented etc. by the bi-partisanship Jan 6 committee. There is some "fudge" as some GOP disagree with different facts. That's okay, it's out in the open with full transparency and documents, archives open to everyone.

The only scenario I can see with the Jan 6 report being superseded by another version is per my earlier note.
Quote:
The victors write the history books and unless MAGA takes over Congress and writes something that supersedes the Jan 6 report, these findings & recommendations are here to stay.
Quote:
In those other three investigations, we were actually trying to fix actual issues with the systems in the government that had failed. The vast majority of the country agreed with the basic tenets and facts of the investigation. People were actually waiting an average of 115 days to see a provider and dying as a result. Katrina was a failure of initiative. 9/11 was a security and intelligence failure. We could have strong recommendations in those cases because it benefited both sides to get those systems fixed. We still have not figured out what to call the events of January 6th because the terminology may be too harsh or too soft depending on one's political POV. How the hell are the recommendation going to be strong? To paraphrase from your quote, some of us are too invested in creating confusion, spreading untimely & inaccurate reports which are just a waste of money for their own political benefits. TBH, I don't think we could get the 9/11 report accomplished today given where we are in this political environment.
If we were attacked externally on the scale of 9/11, I am confident we will be able to create an equivalent report. However, to your point, with a couple rungs down in importance, I am not sure we can get a bipartisan Afghanistan pull-out report.

Re: comparison with the other 3 reports. I would agree those reports resulted in more "fixing" and the Jan 6 report was more allocating blame than "fixing". However, we got Electoral Count Reform Act out of it also, which although separate, was a result of seriousness of Jan 6.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-07-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #7012
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
But that is absolutely not what is going to happen, because it won't be just one drama queen. It will be the whole freedom caucus, and every moderate that is afraid of getting primaried. McCarthy will not go against those numbers in his party, and the Democrats are not going to save him from himself. Especially after the full scorched-earth investigations they are going to be performing.

Looked it up, the Freedom caucus ranged from 36 to 53. Doesn't the McCarthy drama show that the Freedom caucus is not as united as you may think? I haven't compared members to "the 20" but it indicates many can be reasoned with (or bribed).

Yes, I agree the upcoming investigations, McCarthy will (and probably want) to go with the program.

But yes, tough political days ahead. I am hopeful Biden can make a couple more bipartisanship deals like Immigration & Ukraine, but very unlikely with the 20K student debt freebie or another big spending bill.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:08 PM   #7013
Edward64
Head Coach

I like Immigration Reform being a top 3 top priority. Let's try for a big reform compromise where we'll be set for the next 20 years (until there's sufficient buildup and cries for another reform package). Start early

Don't really know if repeal the funding for 87K IRS agents is really a good idea. But after my horrendous audit experience with the IRS, the emotional side of me says sure, payback is a bitch. Seems like a low hanging fruit and relatively easy to do.

The "woke indoctrination" should be entertaining political theatre. My guess is follow the FL type model but it may be more.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/07/us-h...s-funding.html
Quote:
Newly elected U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy took the gavel of the chamber after a bruising weeklong battle within his own party, promising to carry out a conservative, America-first agenda, tackling the immigration crisis at the Mexican border, cutting back funding at the IRS and fixing “woke indoctrination in our schools.

He said the first legislation he plans to tackle will repeal funding for more than 87,000 new IRS agents. He highlighted immigration reform as a top priority, saying the Republican-controlled House will hold some of its first hearings of the year at the Southern border.

I guess it's good he didn't call out Ukraine funding (that's all set for 2023 already right?). Nice if there was something about China also. Nothing about rolling back or attacking Obamacare.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-07-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:36 PM   #7014
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Can you think of a minority/dissenting opinion/report in any congressional investigations that have superseded the final report or even come close to superseding? I honestly can't think of one

There should not be a minority/dissenting opinion report in any congressional investigation. It is not supposed to be based on opinions. Remember agreed upon truths. We don't have a report based on a congressional investigation. We have reports based on political persuasion.

Quote:
So in this analogy. The facts are known, documented etc. by the bi-partisanship Jan 6 committee. There is some "fudge" as some GOP disagree with different facts. That's okay, it's out in the open with full transparency and documents, archives open to everyone.

So in this company, would those GOPers not have to abide by the agreed upon facts in the single source of truth and be allowed to implement systems based on their own facts? Also, Bi-partisanship" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this one. 7 Democrats and 2 Republicans. All were appointed by Nancy Pelosi. That information alone would be enough to prevent a not so small percentage of the country to not open one page of the report.

Congress has some oversight over FBI activities. There is no doubt that the House will hold hearings over the Hunter Biden laptop affair. At this point, that is enough.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-07-2023, 09:43 PM   #7015
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My understanding is that the IRS thing is not 87K agents. It was enough money that if they used 100% of the money on hiring agents, they could fund 87K positions. From what I've read, it was intended to make up for a lack of funding, or a lack of increased funding, that didn't allow the IRS to do its job to keep up with everything it needed to do (such as the inability to attempt to collect billions in unpaid taxes). The 87K agent thing is a GOP scare tactic, although certainly it would hit some of their donors if they were cheating or refusing to pay their taxes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-07-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:59 PM   #7016
JPhillips
General Manager

A lot of the hires are for IT and phone center staff. Everybody bitches about the shitty customer service at IRS, so part of the fixes are aimed at making that better. Of course, the GOP wants to keep the IRS at a staffing level where people continuously complain about poor service.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:03 PM   #7017
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My understanding is that the IRS thing is not 87K agents. It was enough money that if they used 100% of the money on hiring agents, they could fund 87K positions. From what I've read, it was intended to make up for a lack of funding, or a lack of increased funding, that didn't allow the IRS to do its job to keep up with everything it needed to do (such as the inability to attempt to collect billions in unpaid taxes). The 87K agent thing is a GOP scare tactic, although certainly it would hit some of their donors if they were cheating or refusing to pay their taxes.

The 87k agents accounts for hiring some new agents (to counter a 17% reduction in their workforce since 2010), but also covers the 50k+ employees that are expected to retire in the near future (~5 years).

The number didn't come from Dems, the white house, or the IRS. It's been cherrypicked by the GOP from a report by the Department of Treasury in 2021 that outlined how to modernize the IRS and how increased funding for the agency could pay for itself.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:27 AM   #7018
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:22 AM   #7019
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

fuck kyle rittenhouse
Old 01-08-2023, 07:26 AM   #7020
Edward64
Head Coach

Read up more on the 87,000

The IRS is set to get billions for audit enforcement. Here's what it means for taxpayers | CNN Politics
Quote:
The $80 billion would be spread across four different areas of the IRS over the next decade.

More than half, about $45.6 billion, would go toward strengthening enforcement activities – including collecting taxes owed, providing legal support, conducting criminal investigations and providing digital asset monitoring, according to the bill text.

More than $25 billion would be allocated to support IRS operations, including expenses like rent payments, printing, postage and telecommunications.
Nearly $4.8 billion would be used for modernizing the agency’s customer service technology, like developing a callback service.

Roughly $3 billion would be allocated for taxpayer assistance, filing and account services.
I would like to know their definition of "wealthy". I am obviously biased based on my own negative audit experience, but less audits for people like me would be great. No problem with medium & large corporate, they obviously have the resources (unlike me who had to call on my congresswoman).

Start with answering the damn phones and providing email for back-and-forth dialog, instead of keeping regular people in limbo for months with no communication.

Quote:
“The resources to modernize the IRS will be used for sorely needed improvements to taxpayer services – from answering the phones to improving 1960s-era IT systems – and to crack down on wealthy and corporate tax evaders who cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars each year,”
:
With an increase in funding for enforcement activities, the IRS will be able to conduct more audits and, as a result, collect more federal tax revenue.
So the target is to net $124B over 10 years. Sounds good to me.

Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office expects increased collection to amount to roughly $203 billion over 10 years, raising net federal revenue by more than $124 billion during that time period when accounting for the nearly $80 billion that would be spent.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-08-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:02 AM   #7021
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
There should not be a minority/dissenting opinion report in any congressional investigation. It is not supposed to be based on opinions. Remember agreed upon truths. .

Of course there'll always be some minority/dissenting opinions. Even with "one source of truth" there'll always "fudge" (different assumptions, definitions and like). What's important is its transparent so people know. Like in my previous example, the 20 are "special" (e.g. I've had board members stored in the system to track, not for $ but for special benefits)
Quote:
... but in my area of expertise, you basically have the true data. You can "fudge" with different assumptions or definitions (e.g. we have 50K employees + 5K contractors, but these 20 are special and I don't want them counted), but there is transparency across the organization and the exceptions are known.
Your below statement sounds absolute. I can give you 20% is political persuasion, arguable 30%. But IMO we do have a report based on congressional investigation and some political persuasion.
Quote:
We don't have a report based on a congressional investigation. We have reports based on political persuasion
Quote:
So in this company, would those GOPers not have to abide by the agreed upon facts in the single source of truth and be allowed to implement systems based on their own facts?
See above. Basically, the source of truth is established but there is transparency on the fudge. Using my example, I create a report to upper management (aka country) and say we have 50K employees, 5K contractors and an asterisk footnote that says 20 board members are in the system but not counted.

Quote:
Also, Bi-partisanship" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this one. 7 Democrats and 2 Republicans. All were appointed by Nancy Pelosi. That information alone would be enough to prevent a not so small percentage of the country to not open one page of the report.
Nevertheless, I still contend the below. I can't think of a precedence where the dissenting opinion superseded the primary report. If there is one, let me know and I'll reconsider my position.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the first one will be reported in the history books. Now, there may be a couple paragraphs about the GOP dissenting opinions and that's okay. The final report does have (limited) bi-partisan support so that provides more credibility I can't prove that'll happen so maybe in 10 years time we'll see.

I'm sure Hunter laptop will happen. Afghanistan pull-out is another one. And Covid origins, response etc. another.

Quote:
Congress has some oversight over FBI activities. There is no doubt that the House will hold hearings over the Hunter Biden laptop affair. At this point, that is enough.

Question to you: I think I understand your position on Jan 6. Brian was questioning worth of any congressional investigation. Are you also questioning the worth of any congressional investigations?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-08-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #7022
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Question to you: I think I understand your position on Jan 6. Brian was questioning worth of any congressional investigation. Are you also questioning the worth of any congressional investigations?

In theory, congressional investigation should play an important role in the governing of the country. Going back to that list you provided, I think the circumstances where a congressional investigation is appropriate are pretty clear to me. We have already discussed 9/11, Katrina, and the VA scandal. Let's look at Watergate as an example that seen more as political in nature. An actual crime took place and people were arrested for it. The FBI did an investigation. Connections linking the White House to the crime were suggested. The FBI and other agencies confirmed the links. The Senate voted 77-0 (Dems had a 56-42 majority) to create the committee for the investigation. Howard Baker, the ranking Republican and friend of President Nixon, made the suggestion to sue Nixon to get the secret tapes and documents. It was not successful but there is no chance of that happening in 2023.

This is from the Senate page on Watergate.

Quote:
The Senate Watergate investigation remains one of the most significant congressional inquiries in U.S. history. Over the course of this 16-month investigation committee members maintained bipartisan accord, garnered public support, and expanded congressional investigatory powers to produce lasting legislative reform.

If a congressional investigation can produce that, I support it. If we could not get that for an attack, attempted coup, insurrection, peaceful protest or whatever happened on January 6th, we are not getting it anytime soon. Without that, congressional investigations are worthless.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #7023
JPhillips
General Manager

Bolsonaro supporters have stormed the Brazilian congress.

Just a reminder that the same people behind 1/6 have been working with Bolsonaro's people in Brazil.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #7024
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bolsonaro supporters have stormed the Brazilian congress.

Just a reminder that the same people behind 1/6 have been working with Bolsonaro's people in Brazil.

I was just going to post this. This one seems even more chaotic with everything being taken out. Not only Congress, the Presidential palace and the Supreme Court.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #7025
RainMaker
General Manager

Why did we give him a Visa?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:42 PM   #7026
Ksyrup

I saw an interesting question about whether anyone has checked to make sure George Santos (or really, anyone) meets the Constitutional qualifications for office, and it's basically no one's responsibility and all the different offices/organizations you might think would check are pointing to each other. I don't know if there's any question whether he meets the 7 year citizenship requirement, but do we really know anything about the guy?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #7027
Flasch186
Coordinator

@pilotman

It’s practice to get polished for the correct way in off of the flank eventually here.

I’m not kidding when I say that this is a long play and it’s literally their idea of war

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:51 PM   #7028
Ksyrup

This Vanilla Ice shot of Gaetz is award-winning stuff.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #7029
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Top That!

https://youtu.be/oxxBXpnn2Jw
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #7030
Atocep
Coordinator

Hands down the best bad movie scene in cinematic history.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #7031
Ksyrup

The last paragraph!

Old 01-09-2023, 05:24 PM   #7032
Ksyrup

I think GD meant to post about this here, not in the shooting thread.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #7033
GrantDawg

Actually, it was supposed to be in the Biden thread. Either way, oops.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #7034
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess that should be followed by immediate pardons for anyone currently in jail or whatever punishment they've been given for the same thing. Only fair, now that it's not a big deal.

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2023, 05:58 PM   #7035
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm sure those on the right will be completely rational about this and fully realize the two situations are totally different.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #7036
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm sure those on the right will be completely rational about this and fully realize the two situations are totally different.

I have read exactly zero on this. What's the cliffs notes version?

Like Steam?

Old 01-09-2023, 07:56 PM   #7037
GrantDawg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-c...ied-documents/

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 09:19 PM   #7038
Ksyrup

Apparently Diamond died and it appears COVID related?
Old 01-09-2023, 09:21 PM   #7039
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

as in diamond and silk?
Old 01-09-2023, 09:26 PM   #7040
Ksyrup

Yes
Old 01-09-2023, 09:51 PM   #7041
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hate to see it
Old 01-16-2023, 06:38 AM   #7042
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

#donttreadonmygasstove
Old 01-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #7043
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
#donttreadonmygasstove

The whole thing is starting to get . . . boring? Done too much? I'm not sure of the right term. But it always plays out like this:

A scientific consensus emerges that something is much better for us than we thought or that something is much worse for us than we thought.

Governmental officials make suggestions along the lines of "maybe we should take collective action to encourage use of the good thing and/or discourage use of the harmful thing."

And MAGA media jumps on it as a symbol of oppression and everyone dresses up in their literal or figurative Thomas Jefferson costume and loses their shit about it.

Boring.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #7044
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am really over it. Unfollowed a bunch of political accounts on twitter yesterday because it just became too much nonsense. The right has zero interest in governing for the good of their country. Their only goal is to latch on to whatever the next opportunity to gaslight their base to keep the never ending river of outrage flowing.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:59 AM   #7045
JPhillips
General Manager

At least it isn't as stupid as advocating for smoking inside public buildings.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:06 AM   #7046
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
#donttreadonmygasstove

I know several foodies that would rather die of starvation rather than cook on electric.

Personally I don't have gas hookups in my house so electric is my only option. I also don't understand why people generally prefer cooking with gas over electric. Can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-16-2023 at 11:08 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #7047
Edward64
Head Coach

(Wo)man are just naturally attracted to fire. I could (and have) sat in front of a fire pit watching the flames for hours

And the natural gas, when you first turn it on, smells so good
Old 01-16-2023, 11:17 AM   #7048
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My experience it is far easier to get an even distribution of heat with gas. Whenever we are in an airbnb etc with an electric range I find the burner either gets to hot or not hot enough. I guess you can call me goldilocks.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #7049
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Gas typically gives you much more and finer control over temperature than electric. Thus, it's preferred for cooktop cooking. Imagine wanting to saute at high heat to get some browning and then immediately back off to a simmer. A basic technique that is easy to do with gas but difficult to do with electric due mainly to the residual heat it holds.

Conversely, electric is far more efficient than gas for the oven itself, and is preferred there (where you're looking to hold a particular temperature, and just that temperature, for a longer time).

This is why you can get ranges (cooktop + oven) with gas for the cooktop & electric for the oven ("dual-fuel").

Having said all that, when we looked to upgrade the electric cooktop that came with the house, we found that we couldn't go with gas because of the weird size of the location for the cooktop, which meant that the existing electric cooktop was actually one designed for an RV or boat, not a house, which:

Anyway, we found that a standard induction cooktop would fit, however, and decided to give it a whirl, having had good things (and absolutely hating the existing electric cooktop).

It's been great, and I cook a lot and never thought I'd move on from gas. It has all the close control of gas, plus it can hold a low, low heat a lot better than gas ever could, and when necessary it can push out way more heat than gas can (think: boiling water). Plus, it's cool to the touch about a minute or two after being turned off unless you've been using the "power boil" setting, but even that's cool after about 5 minutes. So, you can, say, make some eggs, plate them, and then put the pan back on the cooktop while you eat and not have to worry about coming back to a blackened and smoking mess.

Total convert here, never going back. Did have to switch out some aluminum and copper-bottomed pans for stainless steel, though our cast iron and cast iron + enamel made the transition just fine.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:49 PM   #7050
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know several foodies that would rather die of starvation rather than cook on electric.

Personally I don't have gas hookups in my house so electric is my only option. I also don't understand why people generally prefer cooking with gas over electric. Can anyone enlighten me?
Tom Colicchio says induction is better than gas.