Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Your Worst Sports Year

You know, the crapitude that is UCLA football last night has made me reflect on something that has occurred to me some for months now--this is probably the worst calendar year ever for me with respect to teams I root for.

My teams are the Angels (baseball), UCLA football & basketball (college), Clippers (pro basketball), the Ducks (hockey), the Galaxy (MLS) and Middlesbrough (English football). Fortunately, I gave up on the Rams when they left town, so I don't really have a pro football team to follow.

In this calendar year, the Angels had their worst year since 2003, finsihing below .500. UCLA football is a joke this season (and on national TV). UCLA basketball (mostly referencing last year) had its worst season since the last Lavin/first Howland year. The Clippers continue to be awful as usual. The Ducks' string of playoff appearances came to an end last year, and Middlesbrough failed to get back up to the EPL after being relegated last year (and in fact are nearer the drop zone for going down even further even now).

This year even saw Team USA fail to win gold in Olympic men's hockey and arguably underachieved in the World Cup.

The Galaxy at least got to the conference finals, but of all of my favorites, they are probably the least.

I can't think of a year where so much has gone wrong with teams I root for.

So I am wondering if anyone else here can recall years they had where it seemed like all of their teams just are shitting the bed, as it were?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

I'm a Cleveland fan...so...I'd say every damn year.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I'm a Reds and a Browns fan so every year since 1999 up til this season has sucked pretty hard.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
I'm a Cleveland fan...so...I'd say every damn year.

I should edit the thread title to add "(Non-Cleveland Fans, Of Course)".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
booradley
High School Varsity

Wake Forest, this year. Complete meltdown on the gridiron, and we likely won't win an ACC game in hoops, either.
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

Any season UCLA beats USC, Notre Dame beats, USC, the Niners are under .500, or the Dodgers aren't competing.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
JS19
College Prospect

2006... This one was all Mets for me, but the Giants piss poor performance didn't help.

I'll never forget that 2006 NLCS. Don't get me wrong, it was a blast watching them that yr and it was a fun ride throughout the summer, but I already enjoyed that ride in 1999 and 2000. Still can't understand how they didn't feed off the momentum of that Endy Chavez catch.

Giants were a tease. Expected big things from them, started the season 6-2, finished 2-6, losing by 3 to the Eagles in the playoffs.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm a San Diego professional sports team fan and other than the one AFL championship the Chargers have, well, not a whole lot of achievements going on with the teams in San Diego.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

2006 wasn't great (if I use the 2005-6 NBA and soccer seasons to count for 2006).

The Atlanta Braves went 79-83 and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1990.

The Miami Dolphins went 6-10, Nick Saban quit and was eventually replaced by Cam Cameron.

The Orlando Magic had their third straight losing season, going 36-46.

Manchester United finished dead last in their Champions League group which had never happened before. And in the domestic league it was the third straight season where they didn't really give much challenge to the eventual winners. Long-time captain Roy Keane was cut midseason after he went on TV and ranted about how the other players weren't good enough and were too entitled (at that point in his career, he couldn't really get it done anymore either). And my favorite player, Ruud van Nistelrooy, was sold during the offseason after a series of disagreements between him and the manager. They did win the League Cup, which counts for something even though it's not nearly as important as the Premier League or Champions League.

And the USA was very disappointing in the World Cup, finishing last in their group.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-19-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This year's Longhorns and Cowboys rank up there on the suckitude list. At least the Rangers provided a great run. Plus I'm an Inter Milan fan, and they had a pretty good campaign in Serie A and the UEFA Champions League.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-19-2010 at 07:03 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

After the Jordan years there was some real bad runs in Chicago. The Bulls were wretched, the Blackhawks below average, the Bears sucked hard, and the Cubs were just a Sammy Sosa travelling circus.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Probably around 1996 - Brighton and Hove Albion stayed in the Football League by the skin of our teeth which was great, but we lost our ground ... a situation which then caused us to remain homeless for over 15 years .... something which will change in the next year ...

Falmer Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Being a Miami Dolphins fan... every year since about 1993/94.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Year? Year? As a Leaf fan, watching other fans talk about their worst sports year is like Aron Ralston listening to people complains about their worst ever paper cut.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Comey
College Starter

As a Philly fan...every year save 2008. I can't say for certain that I'd rather see the Phils lose 100 every year than miss the playoffs by a game or two like they did every year until 2007, or see the Eagles go 4-12 than lose the NFC Championship game like they did so often early last decade...but there's certainly an internal debate.

Philly is still the losing-est city in the country, in terms of sports (and fat asses...sad but true).

Last edited by Comey : 11-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm southern Ohio born, so for a decade it's been, Thank God for Coach Tressel.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

-The Red Sox lost 89 games, their worst team in the last 45 years. It was the first year of the Butch Hobson era.
-The Patriots ended the Dick McPherson era with a 2-14 record. I guess it hadn't been TOO long since their 1985 Super Bowl team, but as a kid, it felt like they had been terrible forever.
-Celtics: 91-92 was the last season or the original Celtics big three. If I remember right, they actually teased us by having the best record in the league at the all star break, but then injuries tore the team apart and they were bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 92-93 was the last season for Reggie Lewis. After he died - 8 straight losing seasons.
-The Bruins were contenders but couldn't get over the hump. This was the last time I followed the NHL super closely.
-College sports in New England was completely irrelevant as we were post-Flutie and pre-UMass Basketball.

And the timing kind of sucked because I was 14 and probably as into sports as I ever would be. The more recent Boston team success has been awesome, but I definitely would have enjoyed it even more if it could have happened back then.

Last edited by molson : 11-19-2010 at 09:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a San Francisco fan. Nothing good has happened for a good month or so.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #21
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Vikings lose as 14 point favorites in the NFC Championship game. The Gophers get put on probation for cheating. The Twins finished in last place.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

When was Fulmer's last year? That one.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

%This one ranks way up there.
Clemson has had a disappointing football season.
The basketball looks like it will suck as well.
Ad as a Cowboys and Panthers fan...meh.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

This x 100000000000000
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1985 - 1989

Falcons and Braves were either last or next to last every single season.

Only in 1990 when the Braves made the playoffs again and Georgia Tech won the national championship in football did things turn around

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
RedKingGold
College Starter

I think we need a little more explanation to fully explore the question.

Which of these would be the worst:

(a) Team has been consistently bad for an extremely long stretch, has a glimmer of hope in a high draft pick, the team still sucks in the immediate but there is hope in the young guy...until he blows out his arm/leg/brain in the same season. (a la 2010 Washington Nationals).

(b) Team is expected to do amazing things and compete for a championship...but it turns out to be a mirage and the team has a terrible season (a la 2010 Dallas Cowboys).

(c) Team is expected to do great things and accomplishes many of those things, but loses in the championship game or somewhere close in heartbreaking fashion (a la 2010 Philadelphia Phillies)

(d) Team is expected to do great things and does so during the regular season, but then flames out spectacularly early in the playoffs (a la #1 seed in NHL Eastern Conference this past year...I forget the team).

(e) Team is NOT expected to do great things, ends up doing some great things, but still falls heartbreakingly short. (a la 2009-2010 Boston Celtics).

A lot of options, but which of these is "worst".
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #27
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:

They're my only hope.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

(a) Team has been consistently bad for an extremely long stretch, has a glimmer of hope in a high draft pick, the team still sucks in the immediate but there is hope in the young guy...until he blows out his arm/leg/brain in the same season. (a la 2010 Washington Nationals).

(b) Team is expected to do amazing things and compete for a championship...but it turns out to be a mirage and the team has a terrible season (a la 2010 Dallas Cowboys).

(c) Team is expected to do great things and accomplishes many of those things, but loses in the championship game or somewhere close in heartbreaking fashion (a la 2010 Philadelphia Phillies)

(d) Team is expected to do great things and does so during the regular season, but then flames out spectacularly early in the playoffs (a la #1 seed in NHL Eastern Conference this past year...I forget the team).

(e) Team is NOT expected to do great things, ends up doing some great things, but still falls heartbreakingly short. (a la 2009-2010 Boston Celtics).

I dont think I would be disappointed with E. I believe A would be sort of expected if your team was going through a stretch of losing years. C is what I dislike the most. Its like you put so much energy in that season and it all comes crashing down in an instance.

With that said C is pretty much a Vikings trademark I am likely bias in that aspect. They've lost 4 Super Bowls and I believe their new trend is losing NFC Championship games.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-20-2010 at 12:12 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #29
Terps
College Prospect

Probably 1996 and 1997, the last two times the Orioles had a shot to win it all. '96 was rough against the Yankees and Jeffrey Maier, '97 went wire to wire in the AL East and lost to Cleveland in the ALCS.

Of course, also every year after that, because they haven't had a winning season since.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

1993, the year Peter Angelos bought the Baltimore Orioles.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #31
chesapeake
College Starter

The Seattle Mariners lose 101 games to finish last in the AL West for the 4th time in 5 years. John McLaren is fired in May and replaced by Jim Riggleman, who is let go at the end of the season.

The Seattle Seahawks have their string of 4 NFC West Championships broken by falling to a pathetic 4-12 as the door hits Mike Holmgren in the ass on his way out.

The UW Huskies become the first 0-12 football team in Pac-10 history, leading to Ty Willingham's firing.

All of which is small potatoes.

The 2007-2008 Seattle Supersonics are designed to fail by management. And they do, spectacularly, finishing with a franchise worst 20-62 record. After the season, the team leaves Seattle for Oklahoma City, a sorry conclusion to 41 years playing in the city.

That, my friends, is a very bad sports year.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

Would have to be 1994. I lost in the area wrestling finals with my worst match of the year. Ga Tech got snubbed from an NCAA tourney invite in hoops. The Ga Tech football team went 1-10. And Harvard lost to Yale.

Plus, there was that strike thing.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #33
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Good topic Chief.

I have been extremely lucky with the teams I follow: New York Yankees, New York Giants, Syracuse basketball & football (well lucky in football prior to 2000). Even if one or two teams are down, the basketball and baseball teams are always great.

Until 2008.

The Yankees finished 3rd and missed the playoffs for the first time since the early 90s.
The Giants are defending Superbowl Champs, Plex shoots himself, the wheels fall off and they lose their first playoff game, at home, to Philly.
Syracuse basketball finishes 21-14 and goes to the NIT. NIT????
Syracuse football stuck in the decade long mire and finishes 3-9 (1-6)

Yankees rebounded with a World Title, basketball rebounded with a #1 seed in the tournament, Cuse football is back to a bowl and the Giants....well, they are good, but make fundamental mistakes every week costing them a couple of games already. But 2008 was as bad as it gets (which really, isn't all that horrible to be honest).

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

The team dumb enough to employ Mike Green and Tyler Sloan, simultaneously the worst defenseman in the NHL.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

I was thinking about it a lot this weekend, and I think that he is seriously making an argument for being the best Ohio State coach of all time. I know everybody loves Woody Hayes, but he is doing unprecedented things with Ohio State football. They are one win away from a record-tying 6th straight share of the Big Ten title, they have won 10 games in a row for 6 straight seasons, they are likely going to get another BCS invite which will put him in a BCS bowl for the 8th time.

Amazing times for Ohio State football.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

The only thing that truly matters is beating Mishitgan, and Tressell is what? 8-1, 9-1 against the little blue boys?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

8-1.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Till Saturday anyway, then I'm write on both counts
Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #39
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I was thinking about it a lot this weekend, and I think that he is seriously making an argument for being the best Ohio State coach of all time. I know everybody loves Woody Hayes, but he is doing unprecedented things with Ohio State football. They are one win away from a record-tying 6th straight share of the Big Ten title, they have won 10 games in a row for 6 straight seasons, they are likely going to get another BCS invite which will put him in a BCS bowl for the 8th time.

Amazing times for Ohio State football.

Modern coaches are very much underrated, and Tressell has to top that list.

When you look back at the season-by-season records of Hayes, Schembechler, etc., none of them would have lasted in today's environment. They just lost too many games.

Last edited by molson : 11-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #40
Blackadar
Retired

Fall '86 to Spring '87

MLB - Bill Buckner. 'Nuff said.

NFL - My beloved Steelers post their worst record since 1970, going 6-10. For a team that had won 4 Super Bowls in the 10 years prior, this was a tough pill to swallow.

NBA - The Celtics lose to the Lakers in the NBA Championship. The fuckin' Lakers...

NHL - The Bruins barely make the playoffs and get swept (4-0) in the 1st Round to the hated Canadians.

Boxing - My favorite boxer, Marvin Hagler, loses a controversial split-decision to Ray "Run Like Hell" Leonard.

Cycling - My favorite cyclist (at the time), Greg LeMond, gets shot and can't defend his Tour de France title.

Golf - My 2nd favorite golfer, Greg Norman, loses the Masters when Mize hits an impossible chip in the hole.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #41
canadiancreed
n00b

1994. The strikes nuked practically any interest I had in professional sports.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #42
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Briefly:

1) 2008 - Tigers have a disappointing year, MSU men's basketball get oh so close to the title without achieving it, Lions have a bad year (I forgot their record).

2) 1989 - Tigers had their worst year in my lifetime (though they would have worse later on). Lions did their usual thing, but I was only starting to appreciate that little running back.

3) Pick a year from 2001-2005 - MSU football was running dry, as were the Tigers and Lions.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #43
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
1994. The strikes nuked practically any interest I had in professional sports.

Trick Answer: Canada does not have any professional sports.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote