Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Comey
College Starter

Your Favorite Sports Year

So, for something positive, let us know what your favorite sports year was. Was it a year your team won the championship? Or do you have a special memory from a certain season that trumps all?

I'm interested to see the responses.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

1986 in Boston.

There was some heartbreak, and a super bowl blowout, but it clinched my lifetime fandom at a very young age.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
1986. For a very personal reason. I was voted North Texas Catholic Freshman soccer player of the year. A girl named Mia Hamm was the female Freshman player of the year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

2005. That White Sox World Series championship has been the only sports championship of any fave team of mine in my lifetime. (I don't count UNLV's 1990 national title, because I was a Duke fan then, ironically enough and I don't count the Celtics' recent NBA championship because my fandom was only lukewarm at best, and I didn't care).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Twins won the World Series, North Stars made the Stanley Cup Finals, The Super Bowl was in Minnesota as well. Final Four may have been as well. I cant remember if it was 91 or 92 on that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Sosa's chase for the HR record. Cubs making the playoffs in an exciting way. Bulls Championship. One of my favorite years ever.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It would have to be 1980, all 4 major sports teams in their championship (the only city to ever do so) and the Phillies win their first world series.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

This year because Duke won and I was there to see it in person.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

1990. Trip to Final Four in April. Trip to Citrus Bowl and national title in the fall. Not bad for an 8th/9th grader.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
JS19
College Prospect

Toss up between 1999 (Mets) and the Giants Super Bowl run in 2007.

1999 was the first yr I was able to see the Mets make their way to the postseason. Being a diehard fan, it was felt like the greatest thing in the world... The Mets are in the playoffs!!! In game 4 of the NLDS, Pratt blasts the series winning home run in the bottom of the 10th, one that everyone and their mother thought Steve Finley caught. The NLCS was one I would never forget. Playing against the hated Braves and John Rocker and his anti-NY comments. The mighty Braves took a 3-0 series lead and it seemed all was lost. Perhaps the greatest game I've ever been to, Game 4 Olerud kept hope alive with a 2 run single in the bottom of the 8th, off Rocker, to lead the Mets to a 3-2 victory. I'll never forget the energy and sense of camaraderie throughout Shea after that base hit up the middle, the stadium was literally shaking. And who can forget Ventura's grand slam single in the bottom of the 15th to win game 5? I remember being at basketball practice when the game was on. My coach, another diehard fan, had me sit next to a radio throughout practice and keep him updated. Well, practice ended and the game was still going on in extras. My coach, a couple buddies and I couldn't leave, we didn't wanna miss anything, so we stayed and sat next to that radio for what seemed like an eternity. When Cohen (I think it was him) called that slam, I literally ran out of the gym all the way home and immediately called my grandfather. Game 6 was another great one. Bravos jump out to a 5-0 lead in the 1st inning but the Mets battle back, only to blow it in the 10th, and lose it in the 11th on a baseloaded walk by Kenny Rogers, and til the day i die I'll blame Valentine for not putting Dotel in in that situation. Although they lost the series, it was the first time I was able to watch the Mets in the postseason, and it was a hell of a ride.

The Giants Super Bowl run was just incredible. Besides the improbable run at the title, on a personal level, I'll always cherish the time my 3 best friends and I had during those games.

Last edited by JS19 : 11-20-2010 at 01:03 AM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The year WVU basketball went to the Elite 8 and WVU football won the Sugar Bowl.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The 49ers won the Super Bowl in January of 1995, defeating the San Diego Chargers in a route. I was emotionally invested in that team, having watched every game since 1990 (when I was 8). The heartbreak of losing to Dallas what seemed like every year in the playoffs, then finally beating them...I can't put into words.

Then in September of that same year, Cal Ripken, my boyhood idol, broke Lou Gehrigs streak of 2130 games played. I balled my eyes out that night watching him take the lap around the field in the middle of the game. I still get emotional when I think about it, so I think I'll end this post here.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I would say the 93-94 season for the Cowboys when they won their second of three Super Bowls in the 90's. It was obviously a successful season for them, but I had a lot of memories from the games that year as well:

---The Redskins pounding them the first game and having to listen to jackasses in my dorm drunkenly singing Hail to the Redskins.
---Losing the second game to the Bills partially due to backup RB Derick Lassic fumbling (twice?)
---Emmitt Smith ending his holdout and them winning 7 straight...
---...only to see Aikman go down with an injury and then dropping the next two, with the second one stunningly being a game played in the snow in Dallas (yes, the second of Lett's famous games)
---and then another winning streak, culminating with their game vs. the Giants for the NFC East crown and a bye week where Emmitt Smith got a second degree separated shoulder and was still the star of the game and beat Barry Sanders for the rushing crown despite missing 2 games with a holdout, having 5 runs vs. the Cardinals his first game back, and leaving the Atlanta game with an injury (I think) after only rushing once. I remember we were flying into Newark from a family vacation and I was listening to the game on my Walkman. The radio announcers were going crazy talking about the arm just dangling from his side. We were starting to lose reception as we were driving home to Vermont so my father pulled the car to the side of the road and we listened for the last 10 minutes until Eddie Murray hit the game winning field goal in OT.
---Beating the 49ers in the NFC Conference Championship game after Jimmy Johnson guaranteed they would.
---The day of the Super Bowl, some college buddies and I played football in the snow. It was about 8 inches deep and had a hard crust on top so trying to run was painful on the shins.
---Watching the Super Bowl with a number of college friends at a guy's house who lived somewhat near campus, with roughly 2/3rds in a room rooting for Dallas and 1/3rd rooting for Buffalo (not that the Cowboys were so loved, but most people there hated Buffalo).

And oh how those days seem so far away for Dallas now...
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It was my last year that I lived in Atlanta as I moved after college. It was also the only time that one of my pro teams (Falcons/Braves) won the championship when the Braves defeated the Indians that season.

After going through the 1980s which saw very few bright spots for any of my teams, it felt like the final reward for being a life long fan.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Terps
College Prospect

Giants win over the Patriots in Super Bowl 42.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pittsburgh 2008-09 seasons.

I was only 3 in 1979 when Pirates and Steelers won in the same year.

The Steelers-Cardinals SB was a classic with James Harrison 100 yard TD and Holmes TD to go ahead.

Pens-Wings rematch from prior season, plus a game 7.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wings won the Stanley Cup and Michigan won the National Championship.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

1994! If John Starks wasn't complete shit, MSG would've had two champions.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
It would have to be 1980, all 4 major sports teams in their championship (the only city to ever do so) and the Phillies win their first world series.

That never happened as the Super Bowl in 1980 was Super Bowl 14, Steelers over the Rams.

The Eagles went to the SB following the 1980 season, in January 1981.

No city has ever had 4 championship appearences in the same calendar year as far as i know. 3 Was pretty impressive though.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

2010, for fairly obvious reasons.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

1984 - BYU National Champions!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #22
canadiancreed
n00b

1993. Toronto wins the world series in dramatic fashion, the Habs win the Stanley Cup and we were one bad call from the best Stanley Cup series of all time.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
1993. Toronto wins the world series in dramatic fashion, the Habs win the Stanley Cup and we were one bad call from the best Stanley Cup series of all time.

No!!! That world series didn't happen..... blocking it out...... No Joe Carter, no Joe Carter, no Joe Carter.....

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1993 was pretty awesome and I long for the day when the Jays are once again relevant, as it's been pretty miserable since those days when we were good.

But my best year was probably 2003 the year the Nets made the NBA finals and the Devils won the Stanley Cup.

The Rockies run in 2007 was fun because I went to a bunch of their games and went to the NLDS clincher.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Wings won the Stanley Cup and Michigan won the National Championship.

Just pulled up ESPN and USA Today and they both show Nebraska won the National Championship in 1997
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote