Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Zombie Audio Podcast - We're Alive

Has anyone listened to it? I feel like I'm spamming my FB friends with these posts but damn, it's such an awesome podcast. Each episode is like 20 minutes long, and although the acting isn't the best, the story is fantastic. I finished season 2 in 2 days while at work, I couldn't stop myself.

Check it out if you guys get a chance, I already got Frogman into it - We're Alive - The Zombie Story of Survival

Thanks to Antmeister for introducing me to this show, after months of pestering me, I finally caved in. So glad I did and I hope you do too.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Love it, I've listened to the whole thing, and some of the recap shows, and have been involved in the message board a little. It's not at the acting and production quality of say, the World War Z audiobook, but it gets better and better throughout the series, it really hooked me in, and the characters are really well done. I caught up with it during its most recent season and listened to the last few episodes live (or, you know, as they were released, which is it's own experience with the pre-game and post-game shows and message board speculation.) Next season starts this fall, I believe. I'm going to try to listen to the whole thing again before then, and I slmost never re-watch movies or TV shows.

Last edited by molson : 05-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I've heard the first few episodes, but couldn't get past the poor acting. Maybe I'll start up again.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I've heard the first few episodes, but couldn't get past the poor acting. Maybe I'll start up again.

Yeah I had the same problem too. It gets better. Before you know it, you won't even notice it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
AnalBumCover
College Starter

5 Chapters in, and the actors have gotten much more comfortable in their roles. I'm really enjoying this now.

Except for....

Spoiler
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

Maybe they should re-record the first episode, now that they're a part of the Nerdist Podcast Network (I don't know exactly what that means for them, but presumably they'll have a lot more exposure). I think the main guy, who plays Michael, in particular, gets much stronger as an actor throughout the series. And all of the new characters that come around later are much stronger acting-wise than everyone was at the beginning, so I think the producers learned how to direct voice actors somewhere along the way too.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

THe layoff between last season's finale and this seasons premiere.. (August)
is QUITE long..

Bert cracks me up.. just saying
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Finished Season 3 this week, HURRY UP AUGUST!

Victor and Saul crack me up, but Bert... man he's somethin' else.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
5 Chapters in, and the actors have gotten much more comfortable in their roles. I'm really enjoying this now.

Except for....

Spoiler

Yay!

Oh and I freaking hate Scratch... with a mad passion.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

DC, as you know, I'm one of those who fell for your FB spamfest, I'm hooked

I have a 25 minutes each way so I've been listening to the three parts of a chapter almost every day since Monday. Now up to chapter 6 or something like that.

I speak French first so the bad acting didn't bother me too much when O was I started listening to the first few episodes and now that I'm used to it, I pay more attention to the story so it's ok for me...

And as I said to DC on FB, discovering this story revealed to me a whole new genre: audiodramas. I'm sure I'll be listening to a few different ones at some point. But for now, I want to get done with the available episodes of We're Alive before the new season starts this Fall...

FM
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

OK, got me listening. After finally getting into the walking dead this year and catching up on all three seasons I need something to fill the zombie void.

Agreed, the acting leaves a bit to be desired but it seems like it is a good story. Will be starting chapter 2 in a bit.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
OK, got me listening. After finally getting into the walking dead this year and catching up on all three seasons I need something to fill the zombie void.

Agreed, the acting leaves a bit to be desired but it seems like it is a good story. Will be starting chapter 2 in a bit.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

I'm quite enjoying this. Been listening all day at work.

A bit illogical at times and no one really seems to die, but those are minor quibbles.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-03-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Still only 9 chapters in, but it sure does get my heard pumping at times.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just started season 2 yesterday...

FM
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

This isn't a specific spoiler about anything that actually happens, just my broad general impressions, but just out of caution

Spoiler

Now come on, more people need to listen to this and catch up so I can read some impressions of stuff. I'm going through the whole thing again right now.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Listened to a few chapters going to San Diego, up to 15 now and the wife is hooked too.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks to this thread I started listening a few weeks ago. I think it is great. I listen to it on the way in to work. The acting was so-so at first but now it has either gotten better or I don't notice anymore.

I'm just wrapping up chapter 7 and so far I like that while it does share some of the same typical zombie themes, there are some different characteristics about the zombies that is a nice change of pace.

Last edited by jaygr : 06-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, new listeners!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Now come on, more people need to listen to this and catch up so I can read some impressions of stuff. I'm going through the whole thing again right now.

Indeed

Spoiler
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I started listening to it as well. I listen while walking my dog and running. Been enjoy it so far. I just started Chapter 7.

Good stuff! Thanks for the head's up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Think I'll DL and listen on my upcoming vacation. Zombies while on the beach sounds like a great idea.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

Just finished up my re-listening of the whole thing. There are parts of season 2 that drag a bit but I really like season 3. I love how things are setup for the final season. The writer/producer is very involved on the show's forum and he answers fan questions (that don't involve giving up spoilers). He says he'll answer any questions after the show's over, and I think they're announcing the season 4 premiere date in the next week or two.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Still plugging along, listening to 2-3 chapters a week when I am not listening to Stern or music
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
molson
General Manager

Season 4 premiere date and poster. No spoilers in it, but you might think it's a spoiler if you're not caught up. There's different speculation out there about some of the imagery.

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just started Season 2. Still enjoying it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'm up to some point of season 3. Was listening to about a chapter per day on my commute to work but since I'm on vacation, I've pretty much stopped listening. If I don't want to get spoiled what's the starting date for season 4?

FM
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I'm up to some point of season 3. Was listening to about a chapter per day on my commute to work but since I'm on vacation, I've pretty much stopped listening. If I don't want to get spoiled what's the starting date for season 4?

FM

August 26th.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
August 26th.

oh crap, it'll take some tight timing for me to be done with season 3 on time since I go back to work on August 12th.

I used to listen to the three parts of a chapter in one day, one and a half going in to work, one and a half coming back home. Will have to see how many chapters I've got left to listen to.

Thanks for the info!

FM
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ok, I'm not in bad shape to be donw with season 3 in time for season 4. Just finished listening to chapter 29 so that leaves me with 7 chapters to listen to. At one per work day or so and starting back on August 12, I should be done by August 20th...

FM
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #30
molson
General Manager

A few things I'm looking forward to in season 4 (speculation and spoilers up to the end of season 3 below)

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Finished this up over the weekend and I am now caught up. I'm actually kind of bummed because the show has been a bit of a constant companion on my work commutes over the last two months. Plus, it was nice to find out what happens next right away instead of having to wait one or two weeks in between.

Thanks again to Dodgerchick for bringing the show to our attention.

I can't wait for season 4 to start, but like I mentioned I think it is going to suck having to wait one or two weeks in between each ~20 minute show. On the flip side, it will be nice to finally be able to follow the discussion and speculation on the site forum and not be afraid of spoilers.

On a related note, this has gotten me in the mood for more radio dramas. I did some searching, but it is not to easy to find them. However, two shows that I see recommended are Wormwood and Leviathen Chronicles. I am going to try to check them both out soon.

Last edited by jaygr : 08-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's right - I was gonna check this out.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I've got about 8 episodes, not chapters, to listen to so I'll be just fine to end it this week then move on to season 4.

FM
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #34
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
On a related note, this has gotten me in the mood for more radio dramas. I did some searching, but it is not to easy to find them. However, two shows that I see recommended are Wormwood and Leviathen Chronicles. I am going to try to check them both out soon.

did you check this place?
The Audio Drama Directory - Free Original Audio Movies: Zombies, Spaceships, Immortals, Superheroes and More!

There seem to be plenty, although I've not checked any of the links...

FM
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

Season 4 premiere posted today.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm still working through Season 2 right now.

Spoiler

I just arrived home and closed the garage door when this part came up through my car speakers. I sat in the dark of my car and listened to this moment. The music, the acting, and the overall atmosphere got to me, and I couldn't help but shed a tear.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'm still working through Season 2 right now.

Spoiler

I just arrived home and closed the garage door when this part came up through my car speakers. I sat in the dark of my car and listened to this moment. The music, the acting, and the overall atmosphere got to me, and I couldn't help but shed a tear.

That's awesome.

So I guess you were able to get past the acting that stymied your first attempt through? I had thought the acting improved as show went on, but after I listened through the whole thing again, I realized that I just got used to the style and kind of realized that they were utilizing audio drama-acting, which is its own thing. They need to be a little more demonstrative and distinctive and halting than maybe a TV or film actor would be. Once you know the characters, it just kind of works.

Anyway, it's great to have the new episodes posting every Monday after the long layoff, and I think they're coming out pretty much every week until the finale in July sometime.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
So I guess you were able to get past the acting that stymied your first attempt through?

Yeah. It didn't take that long for me to get past it. I just understood how young the show was at the time and knew over time it would get better. Just a couple of chapters in, and I was completely lost in the story.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #39
Blackadar
Retired

Any recommendations on stuff similar to We're Alive? The link FrogMan posted has bunches of stuff, but I don't know what's good and really don't have the time to try to just try it because I'm usually listening on airplanes.

I've followed the Leviathan Chronicles, but that one is hit-or-miss. Some of the later writing is absurd and entirely unbelievable. Some of it is decent.

Since We're Alive does the zombie thing well, I was hoping for more of a non-zombie story, but I'll take any suggestions so long as they're good.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #40
molson
General Manager

Some thoughts on the new season:

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For some reason I can't download Chapter 40, Parts 2 & 3. I'm using Podkicker app {edit: for Android} and I keep getting the message "Not Found"

Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-10-2013 at 02:50 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
For some reason I can't download Chapter 40, Parts 2 & 3. I'm using Podkicker app {edit: for Android} and I keep getting the message "Not Found"

Anyone else having this problem?

I am just using whatever basic iPhone podcast app, but I did have a bit of an issue with Chapter 40 Part 2 or 3, forget which one. It wouldn't automatically download, so I had to do it manually.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One question about something I can't recall:

Spoiler
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #44
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
did you check this place?
The Audio Drama Directory - Free Original Audio Movies: Zombies, Spaceships, Immortals, Superheroes and More!

There seem to be plenty, although I've not checked any of the links...

FM

I haven't listed to Chapter 41 yet (part 3 just came out yesterday), but ever since I caught up with "We're Alive" at the end of the summer, I have been trying to find other podcasts/free books to listen to while walking the dog, shoveling snow (so. much. shoveling) and other tasks.

I came across two (both available via the podcast app on the iPhone and elsewhere I presume):

1. Infected - Scott Sigler.

I am in the middle of this one right now. It's more of an audio book than a radio telecast. The author reads it all and does all of the voices (most poorly). Still, it's been an entertaining read and I've been looking forward to doing chores to hear more. Not zombies, but still horror/sci-fish stuff. A lot of it is set in Ann Arbor (where the author lives) and in Michigan more generally, so I am a bit partial to that.

2. F.E.T.I.D.U.S. - The Foundation for the Ethical Treatment of the Innocently Damned Undead and Supernatural.

This story is sort of hardboiled, noir detective story set in an alternative future where there was a zombie outbreak, vampires, ghosts, demons and all sorts of things. It's over the top. Waaaay over the top. There are hot dames and all of that stuff.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

So the last couple of episodes.

Spoiler

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Series finale coming up. I will be in L.A. this weekend and will be attending their live event - which includes a live cast reading of the second-to-last episode, the playing of the finale episode, and then some kind of party with the cast afterwards. I believe this is the nerdiest thing I've ever done and I'm fired up.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #47
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm really looking forward to the finale. I will probably pay the $5 to listen to it a few weeks early, plus I don't mind supporting them as the whole series has been amazing. I wish I could attend the live event.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just started to re-listen to this again.

Good to know that it will be wrapped up by the time I get there.

I've enjoyed the ride thus far!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #49
molson
General Manager

So it was a fun time at the We're Alive finale. The night before, some of the cast was at the Tinhorn Flats bar in Hollywood - Angel, Kalani, Puck, Victor, Tanya. It was very surreal just talking to these strangers who had these voices I'm so familiar with.

The show itself was pretty great too - they did the live performance of the second-to-last episode, which was a pretty impressive undertaking. The 12 or so actors who had a part in that episode sat on stage, and they all had to get up and deliver their lines at the exact right moment, since the whole thing was accompanied by the sound effect track.

The finale itself - very satisfying. I believe its available for purchase later today and for free next week.

Edit: And they did announce their next project, "Tales from We're Alive" - it sounds like these will be stand-alone 2 to 3 hour podcasts depicting some of the other stuff that was going on in this world, with all new characters. Later this year or early next year. Purchases of the finale today (which is now live) will support that project.

Last edited by molson : 07-21-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #50
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Scott sigler also does a football themed series of books that is REALLY good..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote