Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #501
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Boston is having a bad week tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:01 PM   #502
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Boston Fans picked the wrong week to quit drinking..

(insert Airplane jokes here)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:03 PM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{checks scores}

Oh good LORD.

Position players will be refusing to pitch in that one
Old 07-22-2022, 09:17 PM   #504
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A little-league inside-the-park grand slam made it 10-0

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:22 PM   #505
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/SportsGridTV/sta...38980361687040
Old 07-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #506
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Boston haters need to put that box score on a T-shirt.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-22-2022 at 10:08 PM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #507
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Duran refusing to even run after the ball is a bad look
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:41 PM   #508
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also weird that theres is a Jarren Duran and a Jalen Duren in sports at the same time.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Many tears were shed over the trade of Daniel Vogelbach.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #510
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tyler Stephenson has a really bad run of luck. broken collarbone from a foul tip, broken thumb, concussion. One would think he's just not a catcher anymore and make him a full time DH, but I can obviously see the appeal of a plus offense catcher.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #511
JPhillips
General Manager

He's just not nearly as valuable either to the team or in terms of his next contract if he's a slightly above average 1B or DH rather than a well above average C.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #512
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also re: Red Sox, this is a team that's .500 and 3 games out of the WC. But they are tanking b/c of the arrogance of "if we can't win the division, then what's even the point of playing?" Fuck each and every single one of those entitled assholes.

I'm not one to make major pronouncements about the worthiness or lack thereof of sports figures, but if I owned an MLB team, I would never hire at any point in the future any player, coach, scout, or other front office employee that's part of this shitshow.

Also, the fans have an obligation here. Full boycott. You can't sell season tickets that you've already bought. But nothing is making you actually go to the games or watch them on TV. Make a stand against embarrassing the game.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #513
JPhillips
General Manager

This is a fun trivia question.

There is only one active MLB player to have played in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. He hit .379/.448/.603 with 4 HR and 14 RBI in Riverfront.

Who is he?
Old 07-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #514
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is a fun trivia question.

There is only one active MLB player to have played in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. He hit .379/.448/.603 with 4 HR and 14 RBI in Riverfront.

Who is he?

With all his ASG fanfare last weekend, would Pujols be too obvious?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-23-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #515
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With all his ASG fanfare last weekend, would Pujols be too obvious?

SI

We have a winner!

Seems impossible that anyone was playing when Riverfront was open.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #516
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pujols played in all star games with a guy born in 1960(Ripken)and a guy born in 2000(JRod)
Old 07-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #517
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Also re: Red Sox, this is a team that's .500 and 3 games out of the WC. But they are tanking b/c of the arrogance of "if we can't win the division, then what's even the point of playing?" Fuck each and every single one of those entitled assholes.

I'm not one to make major pronouncements about the worthiness or lack thereof of sports figures, but if I owned an MLB team, I would never hire at any point in the future any player, coach, scout, or other front office employee that's part of this shitshow.

Also, the fans have an obligation here. Full boycott. You can't sell season tickets that you've already bought. But nothing is making you actually go to the games or watch them on TV. Make a stand against embarrassing the game.

This is like the 3rd or 4th time they’ve gone full tank in the past 15 years it seems
Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #518
Atocep
Coordinator

Edwin Diaz has more strikeouts this year than Kershaw.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:59 PM   #519
Atocep
Coordinator

Reds get a solid prospect return from the Mariners for Castillo. Marte, Arroyo, and Stoudt.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:12 PM   #520
JPhillips
General Manager

As bad as the Reds are, somehow they are also the best team in the AL East.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:55 PM   #521
tarcone
Coordinator

Soto and Lopez equals a Cardinals World Championship. A radio said it best when he said "Flags are forever"

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:56 PM   #522
MrBug708
Head Coach

It basically comes down to whether or not Friedman wants to play ball. Of course, the organization's 17th best prospect just had a major league debut that fell a triple shy of the cycle, so it could cost a lot, but they probably still keep one of the leagues best farm systems.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #523
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Soto and Lopez equals a Cardinals World Championship. A radio said it best when he said "Flags are forever"

Baseball is too random to say that adding any one or two pieces equal a world series.

SI

Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #524
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know why but I am fascinated by watching players find out that they have been traded or will be traded during games or during warmups especially when they are traded to the team that they are currently opposing. I know it is not like this but I imagine the player going through a pregame speech to fire his team up, someone coming up to him and letting him know he has been traded to the other team. The player then slowly backs his way out of the team huddle or begins saying that the opponents are not that bad,
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #525
JPhillips
General Manager

Happy to see the Reds get rid of Pham, but I have no idea why the Red Sox acquired him.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #526
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of trades between contenders, swapping excess depth rather than paying non-contenders?

SI

Old 08-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #527
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Happy to see the Reds get rid of Pham, but I have no idea why the Red Sox acquired him.
Between him, Reese McGuire & Alex Verdugo they're targeting high character guys?

I'd guess it's that they want to maintain an illusion of fighting for that 3rd wild card and figure they can slot him in at DH for JD Martinez when he's traded, though you'd think they'd rather they just give the at bats to bums for a couple weeks until Casas comes up in that case.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #528
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Baseball is too random to say that adding any one or two pieces equal a world series.

SI

Soto sees nothing from pitchers in that lineup. Imagine the damage he would do surrounded by Goldschmidt and Arenado?

But, I agree, baseball is as random a sport that is out there.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #529
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Jeff Passan- Soto and Josh Bell heading to the Padres.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #530
miami_fan
Coordinator

San Diego Padres agree to trade for Washington Nationals slugger Juan Soto, sources say

Quote:
In return, the Nationals are getting a package from the Nationals that includes left-handed pitcher MacKenzie Gore, outfielder Robert Hassell III, shortstop C.J. Abrams, outfielder James Wood, right-handed pitcher Jarlin Susana and another major league player.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #531
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does that mean the Parade in St. Louis has been called off?

Hosmer is the player to be named later, but he has a no trade clause to the Nats and needs to waive it.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #532
JPhillips
General Manager

It's basically impossible to get fair value for a guy as good and as young as Soto, but even given that, this return is quite underwhelming. He might put up 15 WAR before he's a FA and he might have 90-100 WAR left in his career. They had to get more than one solid prospect and some maybes.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #533
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Deal is done, WITHOUT Hosmer.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #534
Ksyrup

Looks like Dodgers Plan B after missing out on Soto is ... Joey Gallo?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #535
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hosmer to the Red Sox.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #536
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

what did they trade him for - a used rubber and a broken squeegee?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #537
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
It's basically impossible to get fair value for a guy as good and as young as Soto, but even given that, this return is quite underwhelming. He might put up 15 WAR before he's a FA and he might have 90-100 WAR left in his career. They had to get more than one solid prospect and some maybes.

Two top 100 prospects and a guy who just aged out of the top 100 ranking this year... were you expecting more solid than that?

EDIT - two guys who aged out, Abrams was #6 and Gore was #90 last year. It's about as good a return in terms of prospects as you can expect IMO.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-02-2022 at 03:20 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #538
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think anyone was going to beat that prospect haul and I fully expect the Padres to win the deal. I'm sure the nationals do to, but we're just trying to maximize the return given the weird situation they're in trying to sell the team.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-02-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #539
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I mean I agree you are never going to get value for a player like that just because of the nature of the deal, but it wasn’t one solid prospect and a bunch of maybes either. Basically 4 guys in or around the top 100 prospects within the last 18 months including a top 10 and a top 25, I’m not sure they were ever doing better than that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #540
Ksyrup

Those types of deals have a limit on the return because the acquiring team is trying to win and almost never includes useful major leaguers. That's the only way the Nats could do better.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #541
JPhillips
General Manager

I guess I'm colored by my thought that it's insane to let a guy like Soto go. It's basically impossible to get a return equal to what they already had.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #542
cuervo72
Head Coach

Subby would have made Soto a Woodchuck 4 LYFE.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #543
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Gallo is replacing Lamb
Old 08-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #544
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers make a few moves to clear the 40 man and 60 day IL. Not what I would have preferred, but they have pieces coming off the IL soon enough.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #545
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I've never seen a team 12 games back go all in like San Diego. They've completely sold the farm to get Soto, Hader, Bell and Drury. Given their contracts, they have a 2+ year window to win it all. After that, a bunch of people expire and Soto may walk in FA.

I have to hand it to their GM, it's ballsy but they will be dangerous if they can survive the wild card.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #546
MrBug708
Head Coach

He had to do something or else he would be fired. Just need to beat the Dodgers in the postseason for it to be worth it.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brandon Marsh needs to trim that caveman look until he starts making contact.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #548
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I'm colored by my thought that it's insane to let a guy like Soto go. It's basically impossible to get a return equal to what they already had.
I mean the closest thing we've had is Mookie Betts to LA. And Soto has 2 1/3 years left vs 1, but Boston got back Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs and Connor Wong (plus salary relief in forcing them to take David Price). Yes it's insane it got to this point this quickly, and even crazier for a fairly big market team like Washington to decide there's no way they can compete within the next 3 seasons so they have to go full teardown, but for the deal itself you guys are lucky there's an AJ Preller out there willing to go all in like this.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #549
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the Nationals have actually gotten a pretty good haul and they did win the title, but it must be rough to think that they had a core of Harper, Soto, Turner, Rendon, Scherzer, Robles, and Strasburg and now a broken down Strasburg and Robles looking like he may have peaked at age 22.

Almost sounds like one of those, "What would you give to win a World Series" scenarios.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #550
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Padres have emptied the vault. If they can't break the Dodgers stranglehold they will knock out the Angels as the biggest failures in Southern California. I wonder how deep LA pushed the Angels for Ohtani, only to see it all fold up? You can't really be upset about LA not landing Soto. They have a very deep team and all the pieces are there. San Diego has a lot to be excited about after their moves. It's probably the most aggressive move we've seen in baseball, in terms of emptying the war chest, in years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote