Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #351
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Mets are always on the opposite side of these improbable losses. Amazing they won that game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #352
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Mets are always on the opposite side of these improbable losses. Amazing they won that game.

I honestly thought it was over when Cora didn't send Jankowski. I didn't have much faith in Dom Smith and then I thought they'd get him after the ridiculous play by Goldschmidt.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:57 PM   #353
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This Mets/Cards game has been incredible, but Arenado made one of the worst errors a 3rd baseman can make which resulted in the Mets taking the lead. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking trying to make a throw while off balance after taking 5 steps.

That is a pretty normal throw for him. I didnt watch him much last year with the Cards but with the Rockies he would make plays like that look routine. It does look pretty awful when he messes them up.

The most incredible arm strength I see was when he fielded a ball on the run with all his momentum going into foul territory and blindly made a perfect throw to end the game. Fundamentally, not a sound player but he certainly has confidence in his arm.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-25-2022 at 10:06 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #354
miami_fan
Coordinator

MLB's inability to manufacture a proper baseball is ridiculous. I don't care what "proper" means to them either. To paraphrase an article I read, I don't care if they are juiced, dead, slick, or sticky. Pick one and stick with it. Talking about how the ball is being manipulated one way or another every year has gotten old.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:51 AM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel like each team should hire an unwritten rules fighter and those two dudes are allowed to hold a 45 second impromptu bare knuckles fisticuffs session in lieu of a bench clearing brawl.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:56 AM   #356
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
MLB's inability to manufacture a proper baseball is ridiculous. I don't care what "proper" means to them either. To paraphrase an article I read, I don't care if they are juiced, dead, slick, or sticky. Pick one and stick with it. Talking about how the ball is being manipulated one way or another every year has gotten old.

They have the means to test 5-6 balls at any given point in the minors. Surely they can fine tune something that works. I think *maybe* juice them a bit in the early cold months and then walk it back
Old 04-28-2022, 01:35 AM   #357
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's going to be a long, long year for Reds fans. Kyle Farmer did tie an MLB record tonight with 4 doubles in a game. Something like the 41st time in history it's been done.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #358
Atocep
Coordinator

Bauer suspended for 2 seasons
Old 04-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #359
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's going to be a long, long year for Reds fans. Kyle Farmer did tie an MLB record tonight with 4 doubles in a game. Something like the 41st time in history it's been done.

Yeah, the Castellini's did a marvelous job in eliminating peaks. Hard to see that you're in a valley if you can't see anything higher.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #360
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bauer suspended for 2 seasons
Pretty shocking, esp. the length. MLB doesn't have to deal with typical jurisprudence so a suspension was expected at some point I suppose. Never having to see or hear from Bauer again is a blessing.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #361
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Pretty shocking, esp. the length. MLB doesn't have to deal with typical jurisprudence so a suspension was expected at some point I suppose. Never having to see or hear from Bauer again is a blessing.

What is weird is that there are no charges and the civil suit was dropped.

What is going on?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:11 PM   #362
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m guessing he’s back for spring training next year.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #363
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What is weird is that there are no charges and the civil suit was dropped.

What is going on?
This is an MLB suspension, not a jail sentence. The CBA allows MLB to suspend players for any number of reasons that may or may not rise to the level of breaking the law.

Charges not being filed indicates the prosecution didn't feel they could prove the case in court successfully. It's doesn't mean some shady shit didn't go down that the MLB frowns upon.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:33 PM   #364
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2022, 09:35 PM   #365
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megill's stuff has gone up a noticeable tick or 2 this year. He's looking like a legit 3 starter behind Scherzer and Degrom.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #366
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Megill's stuff has gone up a noticeable tick or 2 this year. He's looking like a legit 3 starter behind Scherzer and Degrom.

He has been great and with Bassitt 4 deep.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #367
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Worst NL start since 1899.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:02 PM   #368
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Worst NL start since 1899.

The lineup from today is one of the worst I've seen. You have Mets castoffs Mark Reynolds and Brandon Drury. Tommy Pham was hitting 3rd, Kyle Farmer 2nd, and a total of 2 players (not counting Reynolds and his 5abs) with a OBP over .300 and none with a OBP over .309.

They'd hard to try a bit harder for this to even be considered tanking.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #369
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is pretty fascinating/telling info. The question I have, is this going to be consistently carried through, forcing adaptation, or do teams/players wait it out to see if, suddenly, the ball becomes lively again.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The lineup from today is one of the worst I've seen. You have Mets castoffs Mark Reynolds and Brandon Drury. Tommy Pham was hitting 3rd, Kyle Farmer 2nd, and a total of 2 players (not counting Reynolds and his 5abs) with a OBP over .300 and none with a OBP over .309.

They'd hard to try a bit harder for this to even be considered tanking.

I thought that Mark Reynolds(Arizona) was still playing and was amazed.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the fall of Aristides Aquino has been crazy. I guess he just had one of the better months in MLB history and that was it.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #372
JPhillips
General Manager

The Bengals have more wins in 2022 than do the Reds.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #373
tarcone
Coordinator

I way overpaid for O'Neill and Riley by that chart.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:50 PM   #374
JPhillips
General Manager

In a year when nobody can hit, the Reds have a team ERA of 6.68.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #375
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Starting to believe in this Mets team....
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #376
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
In a year when nobody can hit, the Reds have a team ERA of 6.68.

Cincinnati might as well be renamed "The Gopher Ball City"

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2022, 08:07 AM   #377
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
the fall of Aristides Aquino has been crazy. I guess he just had one of the better months in MLB history and that was it.

He's basically Pedro Serrano and could not hit a curve ball to save his life.

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #378
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #379
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surprised that Maddon didn’t take out Detmers with 2 outs in the 9th cause he didn’t like the matchup.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #380
Atocep
Coordinator

Mike Trout has 2.6 WAR in 27 games.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Taylor Ward has been studly so far. High walk rate too. Even with regression he still seems like a good bet to be one of the better hitters in the AL
Old 05-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #382
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tyler Stephenson has a nice swing.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #383
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s obv way to early to write off a bunch of “top prospects” but a lot of these guys seemingly suck. Jared Kelenic has been brutal and 425 at bats isn’t a trivial amount(sub .600 ops). Jo Adell is another hot prospect that’s bombed. Cristian Pache also can’t hit at all it seems. Bobby Witt has 1 homer in 110+ AB and a .560 OPS. Spencer Torkleson has a sub .600 OPS.

Julio Rodriguez has shown some high end speed tools and is hitting for a better average, but a .635 OPS. He at least seems poised for a possible breakout over his next 100 at bats, but the rest of those guys are a dumpster fire right now.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #384
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The guys only playing this year at least need to be judged vs the overall downturn in hitting. Blame it on humidors, the possibility they're using a ball that doesn't carry as far (higher stitching = more drag?), or just a lack of spring training for hitters, but the overall power numbers are staying down.

2020 - .245/.322/.418
2021 - .244/.317/.411
2022 - .235/.308/.375
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #385
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It’s obv way to early to write off a bunch of “top prospects” but a lot of these guys seemingly suck. Jared Kelenic has been brutal and 425 at bats isn’t a trivial amount(sub .600 ops). Jo Adell is another hot prospect that’s bombed. Cristian Pache also can’t hit at all it seems. Bobby Witt has 1 homer in 110+ AB and a .560 OPS. Spencer Torkleson has a sub .600 OPS.

Julio Rodriguez has shown some high end speed tools and is hitting for a better average, but a .635 OPS. He at least seems poised for a possible breakout over his next 100 at bats, but the rest of those guys are a dumpster fire right now.

I think Witt and Torkelson will be ok in the long run. Both have been unlucky on balls in play. Neither is striking out enough to be a massive red flag.

Adell always had hit tool issues and hasn't been able to adjust. The hit tool issues were bad enough that he was probably overrated as a prospect.

Pache probably hasn't hit since little league and if you're a top prospect and the Braves give up on you that's a big red flag.

Kelenic is the surprising one for me. A guy with his skillset and tools should have a floor of league average outfielder but he looks lost at the plate.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #386
Atocep
Coordinator

Patrick Mazeika has had one of the most frustrating evenings a catcher can have. He was called up to replace McCann when McCann broke his wrist a couple of days ago and has had communication issues with the Mets pitchers all night. Bassitt was visibly frustrated with him on the mound.

Then he comes to the plate in the bottom of the 7th after the Mets gave up 3 in the top tie the game and he homers on the first pitch he sees in the AB to the put the Mets back on top.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:37 PM   #387
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

The Reds threw a no-hitter and lost.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:41 PM   #388
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
lol

The Reds threw a no-hitter and lost.

Why in the holy hell would you send your top prospect, who has a history of arm problems, out for the 8th inning and run him up to 118 pitches?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

Matt Harvey got suspended because Tyler Skaggs died, right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

matt Harvey is still in the league?
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #391
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
matt Harvey is still in the league?

Triple A Orioles organization, which says something in itself
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #392
JPhillips
General Manager

Everything below is 100% true.

Last night Tommy Pham went Will Smith on Joc Pederson during batting practice due to an argument over injury list rules in their 2021 fantasy football league.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #393
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Everything below is 100% true.

Last night Tommy Pham went Will Smith on Joc Pederson during batting practice due to an argument over injury list rules in their 2021 fantasy football league.

Imagine holding a grudge for a year over Fantasy Football as a millionaire? Guess we can add this next to strip clubs on the list of activities Tommy Pham should not participate in.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #394
Drake
assmaster

Thanks for tipping me off to this. The interview on ESPN with Pederson is so awkward and uncomfortable, it's glorious.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #395
tarcone
Coordinator

Been watching the B1G baseball tourney today, Really good and fun baseball.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #396
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 05-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #397
Atocep
Coordinator

The Phillies outfield of Schwarber, Herrera, and Castellanos is worse than one could imagine. This is one of the worst defensive outfields I can remember seeing and this is from a fan of an organization that ignored defense for nearly a decade.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #398
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The Phillies outfield of Schwarber, Herrera, and Castellanos is worse than one could imagine. This is one of the worst defensive outfields I can remember seeing and this is from a fan of an organization that ignored defense for nearly a decade.

It would be funny if there wasn't the legitimate concern someone was going to get seriously injured.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #399
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Max Ferguson Amateur, College & Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

This guy has the weirdest stat line I can remember.
Matt Ferguson-Padres Organization
Last year in Rk/A .212/.382/.297/.678 15 steals/1 CS 0 homers
This year in A .219/.417/.270/.687 30 hits,46 walks, 41Ks, 34 steals, 3 CS 0 homers
Old 05-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #400
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Max Ferguson Amateur, College & Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

This guy has the weirdest stat line I can remember.
Matt Ferguson-Padres Organization
Last year in Rk/A .212/.382/.297/.678 15 steals/1 CS 0 homers
This year in A .219/.417/.270/.687 30 hits,46 walks, 41Ks, 34 steals, 3 CS 0 homers

It's a fairly common stat line in little league.