Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

If he can find another Chip Kelly, I'm all for it

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hearing word from some Husky insiders that UCLA is supposedly ready to open up the pocketbooks and make a big push for Chris Peterson. You guys hearing the same things Bug?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Hearing word from some Husky insiders that UCLA is supposedly ready to open up the pocketbooks and make a big push for Chris Peterson. You guys hearing the same things Bug?

Interesting to see this from outside sources. We hear stuff like this inside all the time, but you always figure it's pie in the sky stuff, and usually that's exactly what it is.

Would be interesting if there's something behind the talk this year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #54
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I heard this earlier in the year from a pretty good source for USC...I believe there is a ton if smoke. Beating cal might have complicated things. I would be nice to get Wilcox back with ccp
Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #55
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mississippi Rebels won't retain Houston Nutt as coach, sources say - ESPN

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt will not be retained after this season, multiple sources told ESPN.com, and the university will make an announce at a 3 p.m. ET news conference.

Sources also said that athletic director Pete Boone also will not return once the university hires his replacement. It's not clear when that announcement will be made.

Nutt, in his fourth season as coach of the Rebels, will coach the remainder of this season. Ole Miss has lost 12 straight Southeastern Conference games dating to last season and is assured of its second straight losing season under Nutt.

Coming over to Mississippi from Arkansas in 2008, Nutt led the Rebels to nine victories in each of his first two seasons, including back-to-back Cotton Bowl wins.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 11-07-2011 at 11:03 AM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
Izulde
Head Coach

Par for the course for Nutt.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #57
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Rich Rod is the perfect guy to take over Ole Miss. I think they will take a stab at a young coordinator though.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol holy shit. Mandel with the kill shot:

@slmandel Stewart Mandel

In his defense, Nutt wasn't working with a full cupboard. He needed another year for his 2009 recruits to qualify.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If Ole Miss could ever get an Xs and Os coach that could also recruit to keep the in-state talent coming to Oxford, they would be a force to be reckoned with.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #60
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting to see this from outside sources. We hear stuff like this inside all the time, but you always figure it's pie in the sky stuff, and usually that's exactly what it is.

Would be interesting if there's something behind the talk this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I heard this earlier in the year from a pretty good source for USC...I believe there is a ton if smoke. Beating cal might have complicated things. I would be nice to get Wilcox back with ccp

Can't see Peterson leaving BSU, especially for Los Angeles. He has repeatedly stated that he loves the small town atmosphere in Boise and doesn't want to move his kids around again. Stranger things have happened though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Reports on KC radio that Leach is being targeted for the Old Miss job.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #62
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Can't see Peterson leaving BSU, especially for Los Angeles. He has repeatedly stated that he loves the small town atmosphere in Boise and doesn't want to move his kids around again. Stranger things have happened though.
He has, but things can change. I wouldn't put great odds on UCLA getting Peterson (assuming Neuheisel is gone), but I wouldn't rule it out either. UCLA is arguably the biggest sleeping giant out there - get a good coach there, and there's little reason they couldn't start winning 10+ on a regular basis.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #63
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If Ole Miss could ever get an Xs and Os coach that could also recruit to keep the in-state talent coming to Oxford, they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Very true.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He has, but things can change. I wouldn't put great odds on UCLA getting Peterson (assuming Neuheisel is gone), but I wouldn't rule it out either. UCLA is arguably the biggest sleeping giant out there - get a good coach there, and there's little reason they couldn't start winning 10+ on a regular basis.

Yup. The big issue has always been the university's commitment to the program. Too much penny-pinching and stringent overseering in all details of the program. UCLA is a very good academic school--not on par with a Stanford, of course--but a regular top 20-25 school on most academic rankings lists, and the administration takes great pride in this, to the detriment of costly programs that don't contribute to those rankings (i.e. football).

The condition of the program has now (or post-Arizona blowout on national TV) gotten to the point where very frustrated and deep-pocketed alums are really starting to flood the school with complaints about how the most visible program representing the school in the media is an utter embarrassment, and the admin's "culture" with respect to football is regarded as the primary reason for it. The admin does have great pride in UCLA's well-known basketball ttradition and in the currently-being-renovated Pauley Pavillion, one of the "hallowed halls" of the sport. The donors are pissed off enough that many have basically threatened to pull their Pauley renovation donations if a change isn't made, both specifically with the football coaching job at UCLA and the overall culture of the UCLA admin toward football.

There are also rumors that Adidas is pressuring UCLA as well, since UCLA is one of the company's premier apparell reps. Combine that pressure with a whole shitload of new Pac 12 TV money, and the rumors coming out of Westwood now are that the admin is ready to pay a Top 10-15 level salary for the head coach, much more for the staff in general, improved facilities on campus and lossening the academic restrictions which have plagued UCLA recruiting for years.

What all this means is that it's not out of the question you could see a Top 10 salary thrown at Peterson by UCLA. And given the other natural advantages--weather, BCS conference, major media market, right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed--you would have to think a top end salary at UCLA would definitely intrigue Peterson, regardless of his past comments.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #65
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

What I find a bit odd (and I'm sure this hasn't escaped the attention of UCLA fans) is that Dan Guerrero is the highest-paid AD in the conference (at least among the public schools where such figures can be obtained by the press), yet the department has a rep for not shelling out competitive money for coaches.

A really good coach at UCLA scares me. With the location, the prestige of the school and a pretty good tradition, there's no reason the Bruins couldn't pull off something close to what Pete did at USC.

I guess the bright side is UCLA has always recruited well, so even with a good coach there I'm not sure that would have much of an impact on UW recruiting.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #66
tarcone
Coordinator

Who gets the PSU job?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

I find it pretty unspeakable that Baylor has a better football and basketball team than UCLA does at the moment. That should speak to the job that Guerrero has done

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think that the PSU job is going to be that coveted. That AD situation is going to be a mess and they will be following a legend
Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #70
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I assume Peterson will be linked to every job this year. For what it's worth, the UNC message boards have already decided the exact salary range that Peterson will be/has already been offered by UNC. All insider information of course.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #71
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
This could be one of the most intriguing college football offseason stories ever. I'll toss out a name that would be the kind of splash they should look to make if everything really does have to start over from scratch.

Chris Peterson.

That would be career suicide.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #72
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I assume Peterson will be linked to every job this year. For what it's worth, the UNC message boards have already decided the exact salary range that Peterson will be/has already been offered by UNC. All insider information of course.
With all due respect, I can't begin to imagine a scenario where North Carolina is the school that Peterson leaves Boise State for.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #73
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
With all due respect, I can't begin to imagine a scenario where North Carolina is the school that Peterson leaves Boise State for.

Even on the UNC boards the scenario is convoluted and involves a (completely imaginary) theory that Peterson is best friends with the incoming AD and that for some reason or another Peterson's wife would be really happy with the medical facilities in the area. I know that even the imaginary theories don't involve football, I can't fathom what football-driven pitch would bring Peterson to UNC. "Hey Chris, four words for you: 'Meineke Car Care Bowl.'"
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Even on the UNC boards the scenario is convoluted and involves a (completely imaginary) theory that Peterson is best friends with the incoming AD and that for some reason or another Peterson's wife would be really happy with the medical facilities in the area. I know that even the imaginary theories don't involve football, I can't fathom what football-driven pitch would bring Peterson to UNC. "Hey Chris, four words for you: 'Meineke Car Care Bowl.'"

Hopefully he doesn't read the papers. "Hey Chris, two words for you: Belk Bowl" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #75
britrock88
Pro Starter

Meh. All our next coach has to do is go 7-1 and beat VT to make the ACC Championship every year. We do well against Miami already. We just need to handle the pesky NC State problem...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #76
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hearing that Rich Rodriguez has been offered the Tulane head coaching job and that if he does not get an offer from Ole Miss or Arizona (deemed doubtful), he will accept within the next two weeks.

He was offensive coordinator there under Tommy Bowden during their undefeated season about 10-12 years ago. If they allow props, I can see him doing very well down there.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #77
Tigercat
College Starter

If anyone can ever build a program at Tulane where they get the best recruiting scraps in Louisiana and compete with the Mississippi schools for a few recruits, they could build a decently talented team. Talking TCU/Boise State talented.

The problem is playing in front of an empty Superdome crowd isn't exactly appealing, and Tulane's future alternative is an on-campus stadium that will only seat 30k.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I imagine that administrators & news crews better hide their vehicles if PSU hires their next head coach from Liberty.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hello Chris, that was a tough loss today. Ready to join a BCS conference? I have 3 million with your name on it
Old 11-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #82
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

PSU is going to need a Les Miles type of guy who can recruit and do PR. If he lacks in Xs and Os, he can bring in guys to handle that. All of the game planning in the world isn't going to counter getting past the PR mess PSU is in or the recruits to move the program forward. Following a legend is bad enough. Following one after this scandal is going to be next to impossible.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Hello Chris, that was a tough loss today. Ready to join a BCS conference? I have 3 million with your name on it

Or wait until next year when Boise State is playing in the Big East.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #85
Izulde
Head Coach

I hate I-AA coaches after what little Hauck has done in his two years.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #86
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe I am crazy, but the PSU job still looks pretty good to me. They play in front of 100K fans, are a big dog in one of the best and most stable conferences, don't appear to be in danger of any sanctions, and are in a great recruiting area (Pennsylvania, Jersey, MD, DC).

Plus, on-field expectations are probably going to be lower than they would have otherwise been and there is probably not going to be a "favorite son" type (like Tom Bradley or Larry Johnson), that was overlooked for the job, that a segment of the fans would always want because anyone tied to Paterno or Sandusky is going to be toxic for awhile.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #87
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

If you look at it from the fans perspective, Leach is the overwhelming favorite for the job at Ole Miss. Archie Manning and Mike Glenn (FedEX executive) are heading a 5 person committee to identify the HC candidates. I hear the top options are Leach, Sumlin, Mahlzan and Kirby Smart.

Personally, I hope it is Mike Leach. At Ole Miss we need someone that can win with less talent. Leach is one hell of a creative coach and probably the most innovative guy in the game today.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #88
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Maybe I am crazy, but the PSU job still looks pretty good to me. They play in front of 100K fans, are a big dog in one of the best and most stable conferences, don't appear to be in danger of any sanctions, and are in a great recruiting area (Pennsylvania, Jersey, MD, DC).

Plus, on-field expectations are probably going to be lower than they would have otherwise been and there is probably not going to be a "favorite son" type (like Tom Bradley or Larry Johnson), that was overlooked for the job, that a segment of the fans would always want because anyone tied to Paterno or Sandusky is going to be toxic for awhile.

Not only that, but that whole specter of "following a legend" has evaporated. People will want someone to step in and make them forget all about Paterno.

Also, if it's a high profile guy, he could basically step right in and run the program exactly as he wants, likely picking his own AD and staff without having to feel tied to Paterno's staff.

Lastly, if the coach wins, people will rally behind him as an excuse to try and forget all about the scandal. If he loses, then popular opinion will likely blame the fallout of the scandal and not the coach's job performance, at least for awhile.

Therefore, PSU is arguably a more attractive job after the scandal than before it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #92
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Or wait until next year when Boise State is playing in the Big East.

That is like moving from Rhode Island to Connecticut and claiming being happy about the size of the state.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #93
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is like moving from Rhode Island to Connecticut and claiming being happy about the size of the state.

Even better--in addition to moving to a bigger state, they have a weekly commute from Connecticut to a comparable Florida, Kentucky and Minnesota.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #94
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Not only that, but that whole specter of "following a legend" has evaporated. People will want someone to step in and make them forget all about Paterno.

Also, if it's a high profile guy, he could basically step right in and run the program exactly as he wants, likely picking his own AD and staff without having to feel tied to Paterno's staff.

Lastly, if the coach wins, people will rally behind him as an excuse to try and forget all about the scandal. If he loses, then popular opinion will likely blame the fallout of the scandal and not the coach's job performance, at least for awhile.

Therefore, PSU is arguably a more attractive job after the scandal than before it.
Yeah, I'm not buying the idea that Penn State is not an attractive job. Huge fan base, stable, high-level (and highly funded) conference, great recruiting location, not directly following the legend - I think this job is still one of the top ones in the country. In fact, given the likely disparity in sanctions between Ohio State (they'll get some) and Penn State (unlikely to get any), I think that Penn State is the more attractive opening right now.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #95
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I don't see any scenario where that is true. The next coach is going to walk in with the recruiting cupboard bare and few if any of his own recruits willing to follow him to PSU.

This scandal is going to be kept alive for years with the trial and lawsuits. The name PSU is sullied forever.

There's also the likelihood that a combination of time and losing makes people long for the days of Joe Pa. He will always be looming over the program -- and remember that his reputation is still much better with the fan base, donors and ex-players than it will be nationwide. If the next coach is outside "the family," you're talking about a complete start from scratch in terms money, talent and fan support.

The only thing the next coach can do to make things better is win, and it's going to be much harder to win at PSU now than it would have been without he scandal.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #96
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I don't see any scenario where that is true. The next coach is going to walk in with the recruiting cupboard bare and few if any of his own recruits willing to follow him to PSU.

Again, it depends on the type of coach hired. Are you telling me that recruits will say no to Urban Meyer because of the scandal? I think not.

Quote:
This scandal is going to be kept alive for years with the trial and lawsuits. The name PSU is sullied forever.

While the scandal is, of course, a huge deal, I think this statement is a bit overblown because it's a week old. What happens, a month, a year, five years from now? Honestly, I'd never heard of the Red Sox scandal until it was posted in this thread.

Quote:
There's also the likelihood that a combination of time and losing makes people long for the days of Joe Pa. He will always be looming over the program -- and remember that his reputation is still much better with the fan base, donors and ex-players than it will be nationwide. If the next coach is outside "the family," you're talking about a complete start from scratch in terms money, talent and fan support.

Again, I disagree. There are many, many, many PSU fans and boosters who have wanted JoePa gone since 2000. Many forget that President Spanier and other Boosters pressured Paterno to retire in 2004 only, because of his power, he rebuffed them.

Outside of the scandal, I think you'd find more PSU fans who would argue that JoePa has held the program back since the mid-nineties but, really, you couldn't just fire the guy without a scandal such as this.

Quote:
The only thing the next coach can do to make things better is win, and it's going to be much harder to win at PSU now than it would have been without he scandal.

Again, I disagree. Some of the underclass pieces are there and would probably not transfer if a solid coach with a winning pedigree came in. Without the JoePa legacy, boosters/BoT are free to pick a guy without Penn State ties, such as a Meyer or other hot college coach.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #97
RedKingGold
College Starter

By the way, keep one name in mind for the PSU job: Bill Cowher.

Wouldn't that be a win-win for everyone?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #99
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
THAT would be interesting. I have no idea if his approach would work in college, both on the field and recruiting, but it's the kind of out of the box thinking they're going to have to do to keep from becoming Illinois for the next few years.

Ron Zook may be available soon...then they could be Illinois for the next few years!

Quote:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #100
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Are people forgetting that the NCAA may step in and level some sanctions on the football program a few years from now, when the criminal trials are over? What big name coach is going to want to take over a program tarnished as PSU is in the short-term, and possibly hamstrung by sanctions 5-10 years out?

Let's take a worst-case scenario, that the criminal trials and discovery in civil trials brings to light a cover-up of allegations pre-dating even 1998. The NCAA has already said they are going to look into this based on where it goes from here. If anything screams "lack of institutional control" - if the NCAA's rules have any meaning to them whatsoever - you'd think they would throw the book at an athletic program that was determined to have purposely concealed a child molester.

Now, maybe ultimately the NCAA is going to adopt a "the damage to the image is sufficient enough and the entire program has been wiped clean" position, but how do you know that by January 2012? I could see a dedicated alum taking the job, but I can't see an established, untarnished coach (someone mentioned Tressel, but isn't he out for 3 years minimum for the Show Cause order?) willingly taking this job because of the upside.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-14-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote