Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #251
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, that was fun. Nearly done with a mission and a muton decides to get stuck doing nothing during the alien turn. Nothing I could except abort-quit the game.

Other than that, this game is a blast. Very well done and atmospheric
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #252
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Multiplayer is actually fun. I was terrible at the start, but I have won 3 of my last 4. I'm 4-7 overal, but one of those losses was a weird freeze in a match I was way ahead in.

Learning the maps makes for some rough fights. I lost some I probably shouldn't have just learning the maps.

They give you 10,000 points to use to put together a squad. You can use points on soldiers of any class or aliens. Points range from a fully stacked assault class Colonel with Titan armor and a plasma rifle clocking in at a whopping 6700 to a Sectoid at 400.

I'm currently running said Colonel, a Sniper with a plasma rifle that is a Captain, and a Sectoid. Most guys seem to use a squad of 5-6 squaddies. My Colonel rips apart the lower ranked guys in a single shot, my sniper takes the high ground and scores kills with squadsight and my Sectoid lures the enemy out and lets me know their positions. On the rare occasion he had managed to flank another player and score a one shot kill. Seems to be working fairly well. Ethereals seem to be OP in my limited experience, but they cost 9,000 points and I haven't ran into one since my third match so I'm wondering how I would do now that I have the hang of multiplayer.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #253
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Finished it today. Interested in playing it again on higher difficulty. May try out multiplayer.

How many hours did it take you for your playthrough?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #254
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Less than 20.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #255
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Played another Ethereal. He mind controlled my Colonel and used him to rape me. Prior to the MC My Colonel had a shot at him and missed. It would have done atleast 10 damage ha it hit. After the MC my sniper shot him and took him down to 4hp. I lost soundly, but I was missed shot away from victory.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #256
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Played my first cheater! He left when I called him out on it so I ended up getting the win. He had two snipers and was camping. He killed my sniper and my Sectoid. I waited him out and rushed one with my Colonel. I had the drop on him from 1 square away. I used double shot and....both missed. My chance to hit was 1%, however according to the breakdown in info it SHOULD have been 95%. I called him on it in chat and he left.

Nothing like having to resort to cheating in X-Com of all things. Would have most likely legit beat him. My guy is uncrittable due to perks and has 24 HP. He would only do 10 damage per turn. I had a 95% chance of killing one guy on each turn. I had the drop on him and had first shot to do damage. Math was in my favor, but this guy flipped the odds by cheating.

With that I think I am done for the night.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #257
Edward64
Head Coach

Having a blast reliving the old days. I hope there are mods and additional maps done for it ... I'm sure Firaxis will think up of DLC's to try keep it fresh.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #258
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If anyone wants a game of MP Xcom, hit me up on Steam

edit: No, I don't mean at 2 in the morning Sunday (although I'm up now ), I mean if you see me online, hit me up and If I'm up for it, we'll get a game going.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-14-2012 at 12:41 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #259
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Less than 20.

Guess I should have asked this along with the first question. How many game months did it take?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #260
Edward64
Head Coach

Cool. Zombies!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #261
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Been playing multi with girlfriend. Tons of fun. Wish there were maps and wish you could save multiple squad configurations. But probably best multiplayer fun I've had since Portal.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #262
Groundhog
Coordinator

Don't want to read too much of this thread in fear of spoilers, but played the heck out of this over the weekend. The absolutely nailed it IMO. One fear I have is on replayability due to the lack of randomness - I accidentally lost about 4 hours of my game when I crashed the game without saving in ages (alt-tabed out to check something for the gf...). Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I'm a lot better at keeping my dudes from dying now, but the missions were all the same (although the maps were different).
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #263
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Whew. Finished the game on Normal/Ironman during my first playthrough.

~20 hours game time to completion (319 in-game days, 42 missions)

Lost 29 soldiers.

Awesome game.

Final squad screenshots and victory screen in spoiler tags

Spoiler

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 10-15-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #264
Izulde
Head Coach

Stupid question, but how do I enable Ironman for PS3? I'm able to open Advanced Options on the New Game screen, and I see Tutorial and Ironman both there, but I pressed all the buttons and all the directionals, but couldn't find a way to get over there to enable Ironman.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #265
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

29 soldiers lost is a ton. Support would have cut that down dramatically. Towards the end each support can heal 30hp a mission and use a smoke bomb that decreases chance to be hit. I brought two of them with me almost always. Give them an upgraded scope too and they are 2nd only to the sniper in hit %. Oftentimes my support would be at 80% to hit when my assault and heavy would be at 50-60%.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #266
Shepp
High School Varsity

Last night I noticed that my Heavy's were getting 1%, 2%, and 5% chances to hit when earlier they were in the 50's and 60's. Do they have some sort of range restriction or do I have something set wrong?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #267
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
29 soldiers lost is a ton. Support would have cut that down dramatically. Towards the end each support can heal 30hp a mission and use a smoke bomb that decreases chance to be hit. I brought two of them with me almost always. Give them an upgraded scope too and they are 2nd only to the sniper in hit %. Oftentimes my support would be at 80% to hit when my assault and heavy would be at 50-60%.

I spent a good time delaying the final mission. Getting everyone geared up. I actually lost my two support guys before the final mission... Which is why you see three assaults there.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #268
Icy
Pro Starter

So can it be replayed? or will the missions be the same?

I never finished the original games, but looked like you could keep playing them for way longer than 20 hours as the missions were mainly randomly generated (maybe t's just how i perceived it).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #269
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Last night I noticed that my Heavy's were getting 1%, 2%, and 5% chances to hit when earlier they were in the 50's and 60's. Do they have some sort of range restriction or do I have something set wrong?

I had the same thing happen to me last night too. My squad was killing Thin Men left and right until I ran into 3 Mutons and just couldn't hit them. Is there some sort of penalty if you have wimpy weapons against upgraded armor?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #270
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

might be cover, some angles prevent good shots. also the scatterguns (shotguns) dont hit at a high rate from distance
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #271
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:

I think its a bug. If I mouse over the red alien head in the bottom right corner it shows 1%, 2%, etc. but if a select to shoot at the target it gives a higher percentage, usually around 60%.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #272
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
So can it be replayed? or will the missions be the same?

I never finished the original games, but looked like you could keep playing them for way longer than 20 hours as the missions were mainly randomly generated (maybe t's just how i perceived it).

From what I've seen in my accidental replay, the missions were the same, but the maps were different. I imagine they setup a few maps for each mission and it randomly selects one.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #273
Shepp
High School Varsity

Has anyone seen the bugs where enemies will teleport right in the middle of your squad or where your troops are stuck "On Mission" and won't allow you to add them for the current mission?

I went over to the 2K forums last night for some tactical tips and stumbled accross the complaints about these. The majority of folks complaining were doing Classic Ironman. I may hold off playing anymore until these are patched out. I would be most unhappy if my current save got hosed by either one of these.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #274
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Quote:
Has anyone seen the bugs where enemies will teleport right in the middle of your squad or where your troops are stuck "On Mission" and won't allow you to add them for the current mission?

The only enemies that I have seen appear out of nowhere are Cyberdiscs with their little drone buddies. I thought that was normal.

I have not seen the soldier stuck in "On Mission."
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #275
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm not playing the game, but saw this and thought those who were might be interested:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown mod enables "Second Wave" advanced campaign options | News | PC Gamer
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #276
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Has anyone seen the bugs where enemies will teleport right in the middle of your squad

I noticed this in one of my battles with a group of mutons last night. I was in shooting range from them and there was no way they could flank me but all of a sudden a muton was right next to one of my soldiers. I've only seen this happen that one time though and I'm about 10-15 hours in.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #277
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Finshed the normal campaign and started an Ironman Classic difficulty.

Now that's the way it should be. I have lost two complete squads and I think I'm about to lose the whole game. I have a satellite that is about ready, but I have eight places it needs to be!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #278
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This game is so much fun. Really bringing back memories of the original. I was doing very well (on "normal" level) and hadn't lost anyone for 4 or 5 missions, but I made one careless mistake and lost a highly decorated support officer when a new alien scared me half to death. Definitely the one more mission feel of the original.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #279
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I didn't realize this would be available on the xbox. Screw finding a job. I'm staying home for eternity.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #280
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ok so the question is....Xbox or PC?

Are there any pros and cons vs the two?

I have a Birthday coming up and would love to get this..
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #281
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Ok so the question is....Xbox or PC?

Are there any pros and cons vs the two?

I have a Birthday coming up and would love to get this..

The advantage to the PC version is the potential for future user-created mods.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #282
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The advantage to the PC version is the potential for future user-created mods.

I'm really hoping that these start to trickle out, specifically some new maps, aliens and weapons because I'm not exactly excited about the announced DLC.

Firaxis talks future XCOM content, 'Slingshot' DLC announced | Joystiq
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #283
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

So what is the replayability of XCOM?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #284
bhlloy
Coordinator

I was surprised at how linear it was. I wouldn't play it again without some major DLC or mods, even at a higher difficulty level

Also thought the final mission was very underwhelming, although that was largely due to a nice slice of luck

Spoiler

Last edited by bhlloy : 10-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #285
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, the old laptop was choking on the demo...I might end up having to buy the Xbox version.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #286
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well, the old laptop was choking on the demo...I might end up having to buy the Xbox version.

Glad you mentioned this.

I'm thinking about putting this on my amazon wishlist for Christmas. I'm guessing that it will not do well on my laptop. Anyone have any idea how this plays on the Xbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #287
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
So what is the replayability of XCOM?

I love the game and working on my 3rd playthrough. I think if you end up liking the game you'd probably replay the campaign.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #288
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm using the Xbox version, I haven't noticed any significant bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Stupid question, but how do I enable Ironman for PS3? I'm able to open Advanced Options on the New Game screen, and I see Tutorial and Ironman both there, but I pressed all the buttons and all the directionals, but couldn't find a way to get over there to enable Ironman.

After the down button cycles through all the difficulties, it will switch over to Ironman and tutorial. I love the game, but that's one of a few very counter-intuitive and annoying design elements.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #289
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just beat it and plan to play through it again almost immediately. I think it has plenty of replay value.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #290
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright, xbox360 version purchased....
Old 10-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #291
Lonnie
High School Varsity

If your first playthrough was on normal, you have to attempt it on Classic. It's almost like a whole other game. You can plow through normal on luck and brute force, but Classic and up you have to really think a lot more about positioning, cover, and line of sight.

I attempted three Ironman Classics, but eventually would hit a mission where I would lose everyone. That usually snowballed as you would end up sending lesser qualified soldiers out on missions. So then I decided to start a regular Classic so that if I really screwed up I could reload a save. I'm almost finished with that run and have gotten much better at not losing guys. Once I finish it I am going to restart an Ironman Classic. I am really enjoying it and think the replay is there.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #292
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I bought in last night as a birthday present to myself. Unfortunately, it didn't finish downloading until about 1 AM. I decided to fire up the tutorial on normal just to have a look around. I had played the demo, but wanted to see if there was anything new and different in the full game.

Next thing I know, my wife is calling down the stairs letting me know it was 2:30 (it was actually closer to 3). Yikes!
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #293
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dola...played another late night. This time tried the "Classic" but wimped out on Ironman. However, I've been treating it as such anyway, mainly because my trainwreck of a game has been oddly compelling. I truly am finding out just how long I can go at sucking before finally losing (still haven't lost yet). My first month wasn't too bad, but then I hit a bomb disarmament mission. The bomb itself wasn't so bad, but I got wiped out by the thin men who dropped in afterwards (those guys are absolute bastards at range with their poison gas attacks). It didn't help that my guys panicked, either. After losing that one, I've been on a precarious edge, barely having enough guys to even fill a mission roster. I bailed on a UFO interception because I was pretty much down to rookies and my prior UFO interception lead to a near wipe-out of my team. This lead to my first terror mission, which I discovered left no time for shoot-and-scoot tactics. I had to let my rookies (and the one sergeant I picked up for winning a prior battle) just blaze away regardless of cover or percentages and hope for the best. Somehow I managed to keep three of them alive including the sergeant. Lost a dozen civilians, though. My situation board is pretty much orange or red everywhere except Germany at this point. Don't know how much more I have left before it's all over, but I'm having a blast losing in this game.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #294
scorp
Mascot

OK for those who have had is a bit, still playing?
I finally played the xbox demo it was fun.

Had the original, but upgraded my PC a a week or so after buying it ( game was out for a while before I bought it) after PC upgrade the game was playing in hyper speed so never did get to play the original for but 2 or 3 missions.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #295
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I beat it and immediately started over. I've been having fun in multi as well, though I wish there was more content. One of the better games I've played in a long time.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #296
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The council withdrew my funding... Bastards. Alien-controlled bastards!

It turns out that while I am a tactical genius, I lack organizational and administrative skills.

I am a warrior not some god damned politician or bookeeper!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #297
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah with my first game I didn't get the satellite and satellite uplink things, I ran out of money a few times after I figured it out, and I essentially lost 3 continents to the aliens. Not sure how far I am in the game (just got psionics), but I have satellites on every country that was still in the X-Com project but hopefully it's not too little too late.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #298
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My first real game finally tumbled off the tracks as I lost a rescue mission because my target got gassed by a thin man and died (I loathe thin men at this point). Once that happened, I lost any chance at holding back the pressure building up on me. It didn't help that every single mission featured what seemed like a half-dozen mutons along with other assorted nastiness. Needless to say, by the end I was down to just rookies taking on mutons and, well...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #299
korme
Go Reds

After you attack the alien base is the game over? I've been delaying going there just because I like my squad so much
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #300
Edward64
Head Coach

I just finished attacking my first base. It continues.

I am enjoying this game. Still not sure about replay value (e.g like Skyrim) but worth the money for sure. Looking forward to additional DLC's.