Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I got several upgrades to 1st class as gold pre-Covid. Looks like it'll have to be just the right flight to get it now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:47 PM   #152
Edward64
Head Coach

In Europe right now. Portugal is still requiring masks for "transportation" (e.g. on planes but not airport, uber etc.) sectors. An Uber guy told me he thinks they'll do away with all of that soon.

Uber is working great in Portugal. The 3 drivers I used so far are happy with Uber.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #153
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
In Europe right now. Portugal is still requiring masks for "transportation" (e.g. on planes but not airport, uber etc.) sectors. An Uber guy told me he thinks they'll do away with all of that soon.

Uber is working great in Portugal. The 3 drivers I used so far are happy with Uber.

Portugal is amazing. Hope you love it as much as we did.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:22 AM   #154
Edward64
Head Coach

I noticed a lot of European hotels have showers that have shower "screens/walls" that run halfway and no doors. This inevitably leads to wet floors. What a frakkin stupid design.

And also their elevators. Small. Yeah right, fit 8 people in that.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #155
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've never gotten water on the floor in a European hotel and I've travelled to Europe a lot. You must be doing something wrong.... :P
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Flying to DFW tomorrow. First time on a plane ever. I ended up upgrading to first class because I after I was going to pay to check bags, it seemed like the difference in price wasn’t that much.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #157
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I've never gotten water on the floor in a European hotel and I've travelled to Europe a lot. You must be doing something wrong.... :P

This is what I'm talking about. Article is specific to French showers but I've seen similar in other European countries.

If you can take a shower without getting floor wet, let me know how.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #158
Edward64
Head Coach

Back in good old USA. FWIW, US requires PCR or Rapid Antigen testing within 24 hours of flight leaving. I got the Rapid Antigen from a hospital with the necessary formal docs and it worked out well (e.g. cheaper than PCR).

I would appreciate like 48 hours vs 24 hours. Makes it hard to travel on a Sun or Mon as weekend test availability and quick results is not always a given.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #159
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Planning a trip to New Orleans in a couple of weeks (Thursday through Tuesday). I already have the plane tickets for four of us.

Am I crazy to consider driving instead? The tickets are Southwest, so I can get a refund in credit. It is 14 hours drive one way. But I am hearing so much stuff about planes being delayed/cancelled, that part of me wants to just forget about it and jump in the car instead. But it also seems crazy to do 28 hours round trip travel for a Thursday-Tuesday trip.

Thoughts?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #160
Edward64
Head Coach

Met an Indian flight attendant working on a global carrier on my trip back. He had a 24 hour layover in Atlanta and he took up my offer to take him to a gun range (default was the aquarium). He had great fun shooting my 9mm Glock and 5.56 AR-15. (Good thing I had plenty of ammo readily available!).

For you single players out there, he told me you start conversations with flight attendants in the galley after they have finished serving when they are not distracted e.g. go ask for a coke or something. He also said flight attendants like people talking with them in the galley. Yes, there is a fair number of "successes". Always wondered how to flirt with flight attendants and ask them out, wish I knew about this way back when.

Take note you know who forum member. And "no", this ain't prostitution.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Planning a trip to New Orleans in a couple of weeks (Thursday through Tuesday). I already have the plane tickets for four of us.

Am I crazy to consider driving instead? The tickets are Southwest, so I can get a refund in credit. It is 14 hours drive one way. But I am hearing so much stuff about planes being delayed/cancelled, that part of me wants to just forget about it and jump in the car instead. But it also seems crazy to do 28 hours round trip travel for a Thursday-Tuesday trip.

Thoughts?

I can only offer that ATL to NO was one of the absolute worst drives I've ever undertaken.

Yes, I absolutely despise car time, you're not likely to hear me ever use the phrase "good drive" but that trip stands out to me (along with ATL to MEM) as one of the absolute worst I've ever endured.

It's incredible tedium, absurd stretches of just ... nothing. I can't advise doing that round trip so close together, I just can't. (i mean, if you have a high car tolerance and had more like a week to recover, it might be more of a coin flip )

edit to add: I did that drive to NO right around 30 years ago and it still stands out in my mind that strongly, fwiw.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-07-2022 at 09:42 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about. Article is specific to French showers but I've seen similar in other European countries.

My in laws in England have one just like this. I have showered there countless times and never had any issues with water on the floor.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #163
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My in laws in England have one just like this. I have showered there countless times and never had any issues with water on the floor.

Can you post a video and let me see your technique?
Old 06-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thoughts?

If your car has adaptive cruise control and the lane guidance, I’d just drive. But try to plan it to avoid traffic.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #165
molson
General Manager

Couldn't you just drive IF the flight got cancelled for some reason?

I've read about increased cancellations and delays but it's pretty unlikely to happen to you. It seems like yours would be a pretty common route that there would be plenty of options to work around if needed. So much can go wrong in 28 hours of driving.

I've been flying a lot lately and it's been smooth sailing. I might be over-doing it a bit with planning, but I'm locking a lot of stuff in now in fear that it will be way more expensive next year. We're going to Amsterdam, Athens, and Israel in the next 12 months. All with strategically hoarded points. International routes seem to have not bounced back in volume so we also have strategically planned long-layovers/free bonus day-trips, like a 18 hour layover in Warsaw.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2022 at 11:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #166
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Thoughts?

You can afford gas for a 28 hour trip?!
Old 06-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #167
molson
General Manager

I didn't even think of that.

Also, this was a very bad time to buy a school bus converted into to a recreational vehicle. I don't know how RVers do it. I just kind of don't look when I fill it up with gas.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #168
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Couldn't you just drive IF the flight got cancelled for some reason?

I've read about increased cancellations and delays but it's pretty unlikely to happen to you. It seems like yours would be a pretty common route that there would be plenty of options to work around if needed. So much can go wrong in 28 hours of driving.

I've been flying a lot lately and it's been smooth sailing. I might be over-doing it a bit with planning, but I'm locking a lot of stuff in now in fear that it will be way more expensive next year. We're going to Amsterdam, Athens, and Israel in the next 12 months. All with strategically hoarded points. International routes seem to have not bounced back in volume so we also have strategically planned long-layovers/free bonus day-trips, like a 18 hour layover in Warsaw.

I need to hire you as my travel agent!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #169
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I need to hire you as my travel agent!

Honestly this is probably my best talent.

I was all proud of myself last night working around a Delta award redemption glitch to book an a weird Athens/Tel Aviv itinerary for a random particular day where it was only something like 30k points one-way (usually it's 100k+) if done through particular long layovers we wanted to do anyway, and then ending in Seattle instead of Boise. And Seattle back to Boise you can do one-way for under $100 any of many times a day on various airlines.

Of course if I spent all the time I spend on this working at my job or something, maybe I'd be Attorney General by now.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #170
PilotMan
Head Coach

It takes a special kind of love for detail, and love for finding easter eggs, and love for travel to get what you have. It's like a game you must enjoy or else you'd just give up and take whatever comes. So good on you for being that way and finding a way to pull all that together.

Like Steam?

Old 06-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #171
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Same as Lathum. In fact, I lived for about 3 years in a house in England with that kind of shower and never got water on the floor.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:45 AM   #172
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Same as Lathum. In fact, I lived for about 3 years in a house in England with that kind of shower and never got water on the floor.

All I'm going to say is you guys probably don't scrub as vigorously (head, front and back) as I do and/or your spray was a weak ass dribble.

What I noticed in Asian hotels was a nice move towards more rainfall shower heads. This I really liked.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:36 AM   #173
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I mean, some of us don't need a firehose to get clean, apparently.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:39 PM   #174
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I didn't realize we were discussing bidets all of a sudden.

Like Steam?

Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #175
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Touche
Old 06-10-2022, 09:21 AM   #176
Edward64
Head Coach

Not going to complain as getting tested (and results back) 24 hours before flight was a pain.

But assume we'll continue to monitor and, if infections & hospitalizations spike, take action as necessary.

Yay for one more step towards normalcy.

Quote:
The Biden administration is expected to announce Friday that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will lift its requirement for travelers to test negative for Covid-19 before entering the US, according to a senior administration official.

The move, which CNN was first to report, will go into effect for US-bound air travelers at midnight on Sunday.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #177
Ksyrup

We leave Wednesday morning for our trip to Hawaii and while we're ready to go, I'm a bit stressed about the possibility of flight cancellations/delays. I'm hoping the fact that we're leaving on a Wednesday will keep the chances of a disaster low, but who knows. I'm just glad we decided last year to do a mid-week flight rather than Friday/Saturday of July 4th weekend.

We come back on Sunday the 10th, but it's a red-eye and the main flights on the mainland are Monday the 11th, so hopefully those are OK as well.

We've just got so many moving parts (we're meeting my parents at LAX and taking the same flight to Lihue) that it elevates the chances for a problem. That's 4 flights between us before we get to LAX. And we're going through Atlanta, where the majority of flights were canceled this weekend.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #178
Bobble
College Prospect

Not to scare anyone but we just got back from a trip to Napa. Flight there was no problem. The trip back was cancelled flight, flight time change, scramble for hotel room, cancelled flight while at airport, battle to get put on a non-stop instead of a connection flight. So, +36 hours or so with a 12-hour camp out in the airport. Luckily it was all on the return leg.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:57 AM   #179
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ping Pilotman - we are sending our dogs to Switzerland next week and it’s been quite the logistical nightmare to get them there. The agency moving them says any pets in cargo are personally accounted for by the pilot and last on/first off, wondering how true that is or if it’s propaganda? I’ve obviously read the horror stories over the years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #180
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Flying to DFW tomorrow. First time on a plane ever. I ended up upgrading to first class because I after I was going to pay to check bags, it seemed like the difference in price wasn’t that much.

I flew first class during 2020 and 2021 more than the rest of my life combined. The main reason was it was cheaper after adding in my check bag fees. I haven't seen that in about a year, though.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #181
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We just flew round trip from RDU to New Orleans (Southwest) going through Midway each time.

It was . . . fine. Totally uneventful. I kept expecting things to go wrong, and they just didn't.

My co-worker, on the other hand, flew to Baltimore this weekend and was part of the 700 canceled flights, and she ended up having to rent a car in DC to make it back here.

The randomness is not plesant.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #182
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ping Pilotman - we are sending our dogs to Switzerland next week and it’s been quite the logistical nightmare to get them there. The agency moving them says any pets in cargo are personally accounted for by the pilot and last on/first off, wondering how true that is or if it’s propaganda? I’ve obviously read the horror stories over the years.

It really comes down to the company I think. I honestly couldn't tell you what our company policy is on animals shipped as cargo. But I do remember getting some pet loading forms when they were traveling as checked luggage with the passengers on board so we could reassure the passengers their pets were on board. I don't see pets loaded onto our longer flights at all now that I'm flying long haul.

Our company has a separate group that is responsible for loading and transport of animals. The animals stay in a special air conditioned van until they are loaded onto the plane, and it is supposed to be as close to closing up the doors as reasonable (still could be 30-40 minutes though). So the animals aren't generally treated like regular cargo. It's possible that the pilot might be responsible once they are aware of the animals in cargo, but I really couldn't speak to it as

I'll add a couple caveats to that though. First, I have no idea if foreign countries operate the same way, or if they just off load with everything else, or not. Second, it's hard on pets. There's no way around it, it's hard on them. Third, pets in the cargo bin are in an air conditioned/heated and pressurized cabin, just like the passenger cabin, but if for some reason there's any sort of fire in the cargo area, the extinguishers that meter out halon to fight the fires will suck all the oxygen out of the cargo bin and anything living in there will die. That is clearly an emergency situation, and thankfully extremely rare, but it's still something you should be aware of as it is a risk. Also, I think there are some breeds the are not allowed to travel at all, due to the risk flying poses, like bulldogs, pugs, etc. They can simply asphyxiate from the higher altitude and stress.

Sorry for the long winded answer, that's about all I know on that though.

Like Steam?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #183
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
We just flew round trip from RDU to New Orleans (Southwest) going through Midway each time.

It was . . . fine. Totally uneventful. I kept expecting things to go wrong, and they just didn't.

My co-worker, on the other hand, flew to Baltimore this weekend and was part of the 700 canceled flights, and she ended up having to rent a car in DC to make it back here.

The randomness is not plesant.

I've been lucky too but had a couple of co-workers get absolutely wrecked. One had to rent a car and drive back to Chicago from Nashville because it was such a mess.

Does anyone know if the issues extend to international travel? Supposed to be flying to China as soon as the quarantine times get more reasonable and not looking forward to dealing with that mess.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #184
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can tell you that Europe is having some incredible wait times (hours) at security for some airports. We're not experiencing lots of cancellations on the international side like you're seeing domestically however. As far as China goes, we have no idea when that market will come back for the US.

Like Steam?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:35 PM   #185
RainMaker
General Manager

Do you see things getting better soon? Saw the DoT taking a ton of heat lately for the issues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #186
PilotMan
Head Coach

Which part exactly? Because there are lots of different things at play right now that are causing issues. Or more the China stuff which is more related to Covid right now. Who knows when that flying will come back for the US.

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #187
Ksyrup

Flights to Hawaii were absolutely no problem yesterday. All 3 flights full. We even got in on our second flight 25 minutes early. Hope the same happens on the way back - assuming I decide to leave the island!
Old 06-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #188
Edward64
Head Coach

Have a great vacation there. I enjoyed our time in Hawaii … but island fever is real
Old 07-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #189
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have a great vacation there. I enjoyed our time in Hawaii … but island fever is real

I didn't feel it while I was there but we were only there for 2 weeks and I've been near a coast for 3/4ths of my life so I find the beach soothing to me. A friend of mine from Kansas did 3 years of post-graduate work at University of Hawaii and he said he started to feel boxed in after a while and I could see that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #190
PilotMan
Head Coach

Flights are so full right now, there's absolutely no give in the system when staffing problems arise. My airline is already projecting staffing needs for next summer's travel season and trying to formulate and adapt. The logistics of running an airline are insane. You couldn't pay me enough money to do it.

Like Steam?

Old 07-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #191
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is pretty solid. Paywall removed.

https://wapo.st/3uVr6xE

Like Steam?

Old 07-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #192
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I am absolutely The Dad when traveling with the family and The Minimalist when I'm not. The difference in my anxiety level between the two situations is absolutely huge.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #193
Ksyrup

What do we think prices are going to do over the next few months? I saw an article that prices are down 1.8% since last month. I need to buy tickets to Miami for a February cruise. I don't want to buy them now, but I've got a $150 credit I need to use by mid-October so I hope they drop some in the next 60 days or so.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #194
Edward64
Head Coach

I've read that they'll go down because fuel $ is going down and the summer rush will be over. As far as when to buy the tickets over the next 2 months, don't think anyone can predict that.

Don't forget that airlines will allow you to cancel within 24 hours (and get a credit), some more because of Covid stuff. There are also airlines that gives some sort of price guarantee for a short period of time. See below for your airline

Airlines that offer you a credit if the price of airfare drops
Old 07-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #195
molson
General Manager

My fun travel hack for the day.

I always book international award flights as far in advance as I can - usually 9-10 months depending on the airline. Over that time, you'll usually get a few schedule changes and a re-booked itinerary. When that happens, you usually get to change your itinerary for free to anything you want (as long as departure and destination are the same) - even an itinerary that costs way more than the one you got originally.

You might have to call in to get someone that can approve such a change and politely insist on the better specific alternative itinerary you found - don't rely on the ones they offer. And they might only change it for free it was a significant schedule change. I just had one this week where my 3 hour layover in Istanbul was re-booked to a negative 9 1/2 hour layover. As in our connecting flight was leaving 9+ hours before we even arrived. I can't run fast enough to make that one. I went through the online chat, told them the alternative itinerary I wanted, waited a while for supervisor approval, and then finally got re-booked on a much better itinerary for the trip out that would cost 120,000 points if I booked it today, whereas I only spent 33,000 points.

Last edited by molson : 07-21-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #196
Ksyrup

I have done that a couple of times on US flights with Delta. They are making so many schedule tweaks these days and allowing you to re-book if you don't like the new schedule that I'm finding better flights and either am able to re-book those flights online or call in and explain why the new routing is better, and they give it to me.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #197
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just flew cross-country over the last two weeks, and things felt really normal. The only thing that I noticed that seemed a bit off was a decent amount of amenities/restaurants in Midway were closed in the middle of the day (and the ones that were open had big lines/waits).

I am assuming that it is really hard to convince people to come work the hotdog stand at the airport for minimum wage when they can just work a hotdog stand in their neighborhood without a crazy commute for minimum wage.

But the actual plane/flying stuff was fine.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-21-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have thoughts on travel medical insurance?

I'm going to be in Europe for a couple of weeks and trying to decide if I should get it or not. When you look it up in Google or Duck Duck Go, you get a lot of articles saying "of course you should" right next to their disclaimer that there are paid affiliate links for their recommendations so not exactly and unbiased source. And, of course, if you ask, say Forbes, if you should spend your money on something they're hawking, the answer will always be "yes".

But I can't nail down how much medical care costs if I get injured. Can I go to the state hospitals? What will it cost? That sort of thing. I'm in fine-ish shape with no major issues or medications. But if I get in a car accident or whatever, that's going to require medical care. However, if it's going to cost me, say $1000 for a hospital visit and not $50K like in the US, why would I bother paying $500 for health insurance when... I could just use that $500 to pay for half of my hospital bill that I may or may not need. Like that extra $500 isn't going to be a big deal. But if it's going to cost me $50K, then the $500 is totally worth it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #199
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've always gotten travel insurance traveling out of the country (to Mexico) for emergencies and such. It's not medical specifcially, but covers emergency medical and transport, also you can get assistance with finding doctors and such. But you should check with your credit cards as well. Some of them already cover this as part of the card benefits if you've booked with the card.

Most of the travel insurance's that I've seen are only a $120 or so for the trip, depending of course, on how much you've spent. Nothing like $500, but you're not wrong of course. It's always a big of a game on how you feel if you don't have it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #200
Edward64
Head Coach

This would have been pretty cool to see. I've only seen cats & dogs. I wonder how it travelled in the cabin.

I want one!

Bald eagle spotted going through TSA line at Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Quote:
According to the FAA’s website, it’s at each airline’s discretion to decide what animals are permitted to fly with passengers in the cabin.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-26-2022 at 08:11 AM.