Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #26301
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why do we need those troops there?

It gives us a strategic advantage over others in response to any crisis or event in the middle east or anywhere in western europe. We're able to send troops, supplies, and wounded soldiers someplace far closer than the US without the need to move aircraft carriers.

This also isn't about saving money. We're going to spend billions shifting some of those same troops to Poland because their president kisses Trump's ass and suggested the first base built there should be named Fort Trump.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #26302
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Rehashing what was discussed on here a few months ago, but pulling troops from Germany is so incredibly shortsighted. We're willfully giving up a major strategic advantage because Trump only understands money on the most basic level.
What Putin wants, Putin gets.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #26303
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't think there are a ton of open jobs because losing that much retail & hospitality has created a void, but I know the quality of the employment pool will go up for the manufacturing and distribution centers. I already have close to a dozen employees (in what is supposed to be under a 100 person department) I'm staying in touch with about whether they want to stay on a LoA or officially come back. Keep moving the goalposts or ignoring the base fact that $30,000/year on top of state unemployment benefits has led to many (blue collar, and/or younger) people being paid more not to work than they had been paid previously, or would be paid if they re-entered the economy.

A UBI that is at the poverty level makes sense to me. A means tested cash infusion to all Americans makes sense to me. $28,800/year on top of state benefits to unemployed people, and $1,200 1/2x this year to people who are working seems like a pretty large imbalance, and one worth fixing going forward. YMMV.

Quality of the employment pool would also go up by raising pay. Something Amazon can definitely afford to do but chooses not to.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #26304
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why do we need those troops there?

We don't. They aren't there to protect Europe anyway. We use troops in Germany to help with operations outside Europe.

Don't get me wrong, this is being done as a petty move against Germany and has nothing to do with what's best for America. But it really doesn't matter.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #26305
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You can't even get information on where the money went. Just trust them.

Here is nearly a billion dollar friendly loan going to Kodak. They aren't even ashamed of the handout, they are bragging on TV about giving it. No anger over this.

Follow up on this. Here is Kodak's stock.

This also seemed to make a lot of people rich who just so happened to have impeccable timing. This is a crime btw that no one will look into.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #26306
molson
General Manager

Amazon pay goes pretty far in poorer parts of the country. Dishwashers at the Whole Foods in my town make more than CNAs treating COVID patients down the street. The $15/hour minimum has been an absolute game changer in parts of the country like this. They fire and hire liberally and have their pick of employees because they're paying more than double the standard rate for similar types of jobs elsewhere in town.

The entry-level Whole Foods jobs are less than you could make unemployed now. But they have no problem finding people. If you can get in the front door, better to get your time and experience in, and move up the payscale, than sit at home and hope for Republicans in Congress to keep taking care of you. And there's a lot of security in grocery employment if you're not a fuckup. And if you're not lucky enough to be at Whole Foods, better to get experience and some good references somewhere else rather than sit at home, if you have that choice.

Of course this "Amazon advantage" is irrelevant in other places with higher minimum wages.

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #26307
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Because most people would rather work than sit at home and do nothing (esp during the pandemic there isn't much to do in a lot of places aside from sitting home and watching TV).

re: Amazon paying $15 an hour. IIRC, they did that very soon after Bernie Sanders started introducing bills against Amazon.

Here's another part of it, wages have been able to be held down for some time because we had more workers than jobs. Prior to the whole COVID episode, many manufacturers in my sector (food and bev) were looking for workers and were beginning to increase wages to try and attract people. Then COVID hit, and it all went to hell.

A big part of wages is getting places to near full employment. I remember back in 2007 or so, it was before the crash, in Champaign, IL some fast food places were shutting down because they could not attract workers at $12 an hour. Now they would probably go to the kiosks, but I was floored wages were that high for fast food. My buddy who lived there said they were at essentially 0% (not actually) unemployment. As an entrepreneur, he was having to turn business away because he could not afford to hire the workers to work the projects (it was not economical). Of course 1-1/2 years later, wages came down and he was able to diversify because labor was cheaper with so many out of work.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #26308
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just wondering how many Tree guys I gotta call before I get a call back or someone to come out a do an estimate.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #26309
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Just wondering how many Tree guys I gotta call before I get a call back or someone to come out a do an estimate.

I'd get so many more home improvement projects if I didn't dread the whole process of just getting them started. People don't call back, don't show up for in-home estimates, show up late, act annoyed when I finally get a hold of them, etc. I want to spend some money right now but I keep putting it off.

So to answer your question, 8, call 8 tree guys. Maybe 2 will get back to you and 1 will show up at your house.

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #26310
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had that problem about 2 years ago when I was prepping my house to be sold. The driveway needed to be re-paved. I couldn't get anyone to even come give an estimate. Tried 30 or more companies.

While on a walk, my wife walked by some guys paving a sidewalk for the city. One of those guys ended up coming and doing it with his son on a Sunday for cash.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #26311
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I had that problem about 2 years ago when I was prepping my house to be sold. The driveway needed to be re-paved. I couldn't get anyone to even come give an estimate. Tried 30 or more companies.

While on a walk, my wife walked by some guys paving a sidewalk for the city. One of those guys ended up coming and doing it with his son on a Sunday for cash.

This works! We found our tree guy the same way. He was the one doing all the trees for the park district. Worked some kind of week on/week off deal. With his week off, surprise, he does tree work. Don’t know how many tree guys we tried. Upwards of a dozen. Even had one come out and do some of the work only to disappear in to the either. The park district guy was amazing.

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 07-29-2020 at 07:27 PM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #26312
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How is "If you vote for me, you and your family members are more likely to suffer preventable illness and death, but the real issue is that y'all fear death too much" going to play in the suburbs this Fall?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #26313
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I mean, this isn't even one of those "COVID is a hoax" guys. He admits that this will kill you. He just thinks you are a bad Christian if you mind.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #26314
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And Trump floats his first "delay the election" tweet. Post-November 3rd could be even uglier than the past 6 months have been.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #26315
Edward64
Head Coach

I get that billions are on the line so can appreciate the position the 4 are in and the BS from the 3.

It may have happened but not in the quote below, I would have thought Congress would have been prepared with some examples and made the 3 squirm more.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/tech/...ina/index.html
Quote:
It's a question that gets to the heart of escalating tensions between the United States and China: "Do you believe that the Chinese government steals technology from US companies?"

And it was put to the CEOs of Amazon (AMZN), Apple (AAPL), Facebook (FB) and Google (GOOGL) by Rep. Greg Steube, more than four hours into Wednesday's five-and-a-half hour Congressional antitrust hearing.
The answers were somewhat varied.

"I don't know of specific cases where we have been stolen from by the government," Apple CEO Tim Cook said. "I know of no case [of] ours where it occurred ... I can only speak to firsthand knowledge," he added.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai initially followed his lead.

"I have no firsthand knowledge of any information stolen from Google in this regard," he said. (Pichai later issued a correction, acknowledging a China-linked cyberattack on Google in 2009 in which the company said some of its intellectual property was stolen.)

Amazon's Jeff Bezos, the world's richest man, said he had "heard many reports of that," though he added that "I haven't seen it personally."

Mark Zuckerberg was far more unequivocal.

"I think it's well documented that the Chinese government steals technology from American companies," the Facebook CEO said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-30-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #26316
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And Trump floats his first "delay the election" tweet. Post-November 3rd could be even uglier than the past 6 months have been.

I could be way off base, but I think that the two competing concerns here are that (1) he does not want to be President anymore, but (2) he cannot handle the idea of losing.

So I think that the play will be to declare the election fraudulent, but to leave when he is supposed to, under protest.

Which is still pretty damaging, but not quite as bad as getting the Border Patrol goons to lead a coup.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #26317
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I could be way off base, but I think that the two competing concerns here are that (1) he does not want to be President anymore, but (2) he cannot handle the idea of losing.

So I think that the play will be to declare the election fraudulent, but to leave when he is supposed to, under protest.

Which is still pretty damaging, but not quite as bad as getting the Border Patrol goons to lead a coup.

I disagree. If he can get away with this, along with suppression of vote and sending secret police out, he's locking us in. He'll be talking how Biden should be arrested next.

You can see his id unleashed, he knows he's unpopular, he knows there is a good chance without cheating, that he's gone and the reverberations to his ego (not to mention potential legal implications) that he would be a loser are not acceptable.

If he can't steal it, he'll burn it down.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #26318
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just checking in to see how Edward twists himself into a knot trying to suggest Trump is right in wanting to delay the election.

Please proceed.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #26319
Flasch186
Coordinator

This was literally the hyperbolic example I would use to test Trumpists to see how far they would go and to a fault almost all of them said that they wouldn't accept Trump not leaving office if he lost the election OR tried to delay an election so he could remain.

Lets see if they remain true to their word.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #26320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Just checking in to see how Edward twists himself into a knot trying to suggest Trump is right in wanting to delay the election.

Please proceed.

Hold on, they need to update his programming. Remarks aren’t prepared yet

Last edited by stevew : 07-30-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #26321
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can someone embed that tweet?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #26322
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Please proceed.

First we need a definition of “delay”.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #26323
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Oh and I will wait for your APA or AMA cited sourced response.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #26324
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
This was literally the hyperbolic example I would use to test Trumpists to see how far they would go and to a fault almost all of them said that they wouldn't accept Trump not leaving office if he lost the election OR tried to delay an election so he could remain.

Trump always gives them wiggle room.

He didn't stand next to Putin on stage and issue an order delaying the election. That would not be acceptable.

Instead, he talked about voter fraud and how maybe we should consider whether we should delay the election until we can do it safely.

What's the matter, Flasch? Do you think we should have fraud? Wouldn't you rather the election be done fairly? You are willing to keep schools and bars closed and have millions lose their jobs, but you are OK with elderly poll workers getting COVID and dying? You really don't think that the biggest pandemic is a century is worth having a mere discussion about having a safe election?

It's mainly instinct, but Trump's really good at this.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #26325
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Fauci says eye protection can help prevent spread of coronavirus

So who here is pro-goggle and who is anti-goggle?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #26326
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

2Q contracted by 9.5% - largest quarterly economic contraction on record. Jobless claims were 1.4 million again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...2-coronavirus/

And increased unemployment benefits expire tomorrow...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #26327
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean it makes sense. If the virus gets in your eyes, it can easily get in your bloodstream.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #26328
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

No need, pretty clear what that means. A "delay" without Congressional approval is not acceptable.

However, am still eagerly waiting for Webster (?) to come up with a new definition of racism. Until then I'll stick with the ADL-definition (they should know best shouldn't they?) instead of the made-up-twitter-speak which often conflates racism with plain old prejudice/bigotry.

With that said, I do not think Trump is wrong to question possibility of fraud with nation-wide mail-in. It is reasonable to assume with a "new process" there needs to be a review of how this would happen, the checks in place, audit trail etc. and some sort of governance if/when results are contested.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #26329
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

I think the general response to this among your standard neighborhood/in-law Trump supporters will be, "well, if you guys think COVID is such a big deal, you shouldn't have any problem with this!"

That's the way they don't have to back down either on COVID or on Trump's use of power.

From his perspective, I think he's just starting the hard push to train his supporters, and to tell himself, that the November results are not legitimate.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #26330
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Shit. Herman Cain died from COVID.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #26331
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Whoa! I'd hope this means some people will take it more seriously, but who knows.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #26332
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Can someone embed that tweet?

This tweet?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #26333
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
No need, pretty clear what that means. A "delay" without Congressional approval is not acceptable.

However, am still eagerly waiting for Webster (?) to come up with a new definition of racism. Until then I'll stick with the ADL-definition (they should know best shouldn't they?) instead of the made-up-twitter-speak which often conflates racism with plain old prejudice/bigotry.

With that said, I do not think Trump is wrong to question possibility of fraud with nation-wide mail-in. It is reasonable to assume with a "new process" there needs to be a review of how this would happen, the checks in place, audit trail etc. and some sort of governance if/when results are contested.

Voting occurs in the states and trying to spin this as a new “nation-wide” event is false on its face. The only nation wide service required is the USPS so unless you are suggesting Bob and Sally mail clerk are the masterminds behind a scheme to tamper with millions of ballots there is no issue or proof of this ever happening. . This is also not a “new process” as every state has some form of absentee ballot (ie vote from home, mail in voting, insert any other name here).
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #26334
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Oh and I will wait for your APA or AMA cited sourced response.

Sorry if I missed this but would appreciate a response to #25696 & #25697 re:
Quote:
I'm very interested in hearing your immigrant family members' perspective on American Exceptionalism and/or Land of Opportunity.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #26335
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Voting occurs in the states and trying to spin this as a new “nation-wide” event is false on its face. The only nation wide service required is the USPS so unless you are suggesting Bob and Sally mail clerk are the masterminds behind a scheme to tamper with millions of ballots there is no issue or proof of this ever happening. . This is also not a “new process” as every state has some form of absentee ballot (ie vote from home, mail in voting, insert any other name here).

Oh, sorry if I misunderstood. Isn't the proposal to do nation-wide mail in voting? e.g. as in far greater degree and scale than absentee ballots?

If this is correct, it is a "new process". The scale and nos. are much, much greater.

If the request is just scale it up some (e.g. +10%), I agree its not new. But I didn't think that was the case.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #26336
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Damn.

For what?

RIP
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #26337
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I mean it makes sense. If the virus gets in your eyes, it can easily get in your bloodstream.

I should've bought the full plague doctor mask instead of the half mask.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #26338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did he use ZINC though? That’s the key
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #26339
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This tweet?

Thanks. Craziness.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #26340
Jas_lov
College Starter

Not sure if this is where he got it but Cain was at the Tulsa rally. Hopefully people start taking this seriously.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #26341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

oops

dying to own the libs. Very next level.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-30-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #26342
kingfc22
Head Coach

Sucks for him, but yea I'm past the point of remorse for these type of idiots of flaunt the direction science is telling us to follow.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #26343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I honestly do not have one ounce of sympathy for someone who flaunts not wearing a mask then dies. IMO it is the same as driving drunk and killing yourself. Maybe worse since you can spread it to so many other people.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #26344
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
This tweet?

He was keeping this in his back pocket to distract from major news. Something like record economic contraction. He knows there's no congressional support for delaying an election.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-30-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #26345
spleen1015
Coordinator

When does he want to delay it to?

As of noon on 1/20/2021 he is no longer POTUS if he doesn't win an election, so.....
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #26346
lungs
Pro Rookie

I find it perplexing that he wasn’t being treated by that demon semen doctor? Surely he was given hydroxychloroquine....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #26347
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Surreal that you have 3 Presidents at John Lewis' funeral, all of whom who will speak and the current occupant of the White House can't be bothered.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #26348
PilotMan
Head Coach

Edward is the bureaucrat's bureaucrat.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #26349
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Surreal that you have 3 Presidents at John Lewis' funeral, all of whom who will speak and the current occupant of the White House can't be bothered.

His Twitter account doesn't tweet itself you know.

At least I think it doesn't.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #26350
Thomkal
Head Coach

I want to have sympathy but the blind ignorance makes it hard-I feel for his family and friends and I really really hope now that all those pictures of people around him/hugging him etc at the Tulsa rally get tested right now because most look younger than Cain and surely have a lot of life to live yet.