Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Easy Mac

The "Revolution (NBC) will probably suck" Discussion Thread (spoilers)

This seems like the kind of show we discuss in threads around here, more so than most other new shows this fall season. So discuss. And because I'm annoying, please don't worry about spoiler tags, hence the declaration of spoilers in the title.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
JPhillips
General Manager

But she shoots arrows just like in Hunger Games.

That has to make it good.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
saldana
Pro Starter

i liked it. had the distinct feel of an Abrams show where there is always a little bit of a WTF moment at the end. I was impressed by the amount of violence considering it was a network show...thought it was kind of funny that in 15 years we have regressed to muzzle loading muskets, but the fact that they developed that much of the story that quickly made for a really good first episode.

i have my seasons pass set.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Easy Mac

I don't really understand the muskets. So do modern handguns not work anymore? People still are able to make bullets by hand, so why would 15 year old handguns no longer work?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I don't really understand the muskets. So do modern handguns not work anymore? People still are able to make bullets by hand, so why would 15 year old handguns no longer work?

This. I was fixated about the lack of "modern" guns after 15 years. They really had to turn to muskets and bow/arrow?! I'm still giving it a shot but I don't think this one will last...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pretty "meh" about this, which sucks because I thought it could be good. -Google-guy...haha. That was funny.
-Pretty convenient that the brother just so happens to be a super-badass fighter who can take out like 10 guys with guns and swords attacking him at once.
-Wouldn't the inhaler have "gone bad" for lack of a better word, in 15 years?
-So I can understand the argument for "cars don't work" because of the amount of electronics in them, but other forms of internal combustion engines should still work judging by these rules hmm? And steam engines...and hydroelectric power...and wind power...
-Saw the "betrayal" and "redemption" way ahead of time - that was pretty damn telegraphed.
-Twist at the end...meh.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Pretty "meh" about this, which sucks because I thought it could be good. -Google-guy...haha. That was funny.
-Pretty convenient that the brother just so happens to be a super-badass fighter who can take out like 10 guys with guns and swords attacking him at once.
-Wouldn't the inhaler have "gone bad" for lack of a better word, in 15 years?
-So I can understand the argument for "cars don't work" because of the amount of electronics in them, but other forms of internal combustion engines should still work judging by these rules hmm? And steam engines...and hydroelectric power...and wind power...
-Saw the "betrayal" and "redemption" way ahead of time - that was pretty damn telegraphed.
-Twist at the end...meh.

this was the biggest "uh what" moment for me, along with the fact that they all have really nice clean clothes on and their hair is impeccably clean.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

11.4 million viewers. Highest debut for a drama. Last one to be that high, V. Last one for NBC, Bionic Woman. Considering the logic holes already being mentioned, it will be interesting to see how well this lasts since neither of the previous record setters did either.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
this was the biggest "uh what" moment for me, along with the fact that they all have really nice clean clothes on and their hair is impeccably clean.

Liked the girl's perfect "just off the rack" leather jacket. Or the AC/DC t-shirt.

15 years...original clothes are really going to be ratty as hell, especially being hand-washed with the kind of soaps they'd have available.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The brother being a good fighter is a necessary trapping for a TV show. If we accept the premise that he is important enough to be looked for over 15 years, we have to accept the premise that he has the skills to evade capture. If we don't accept that premise, this show is over in less than an hour.

The pretty hair and clothes is similar. You won't get a US audience to watch unless it is full of pretty people.

I'd put the gun thing down to the fact that firearms are a hanging offense. People probably could make guns that are more complex, but since they basically have to make their own, that becomes difficult.

The engine issue I don't really have an explanation for. If you can get settled enough to have crops and livestock, you'd think there could be some basic wind power or water wheels or something.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was "Ok" for me, and like most Abrams shows full of holes and inconsistent "rules" for the show's setting. I did like the twist at the end-I had known from the promo that a character was going to have one of the devices and know what to do with it, but I thought it was the fat guy (Ross?) who would know. But wonder what she is doing out there all alone apparently for years if what she does is so important to Earth's future.

Not a fan of the actor playing General Monroe from his ER days unfortunately, but will watch a couple episodes at least to see how the plot and characters develop.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Probably not a huge surprise to most, but I liked it (as I seem to like most of these type shows). So that means two things usually.. 1) Most of you will end up hating it and be super critical.. 2) NBC will cancel it after 6 episodes

I have it on the DVR though and hope it lasts a while

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

DVR'ing this. Will watch if it's going to last.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Not a fan of the actor playing General Monroe from his ER days unfortunately, but will watch a couple episodes at least to see how the plot and characters develop.

No no no, it's the guy from..... "THE CAPE!"
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
No no no, it's the guy from..... "THE CAPE!"

Yeah and I hated him even more there!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

on another note, I'm loving Lost
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Most people probably started with a pretty low repair skill. It's likely that once they'd leveled it up enough to keep firearms in a proper state of repair they had broken most of the modern guns.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

it's possible that the electromagnetic field of the earth has changed and therefore rendered electricity inoperable, I think maybe. Just throwing out a quasi possible scientific idea i think.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

From what I have read, main story and plot points are already mapped out, unlike with Lost. I'd like to think that means they have logical rules for their world which they will eventually share with us. I could certainly be wrong, but I am hoping Abrams learned from Lost.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wait...abrams is doing revolution?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

"". This drives me nuts. I get its network TV, but dirt and grime is ok in these situations; perfect grooming is offputting in terms of getting me involved in any show. I've only seen ads for Revolution, but this made me think it was going to be silly, NBC style.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
"". silly, NBC style.

This is redundant
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Point.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

From the channel that brought you "Guys with Kids"

Last edited by stevew : 09-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wait...abrams is doing revolution?

He is one of the producers. John Favreau is one of the directors.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Dumb.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

They mentioned car engines not working as part of the mystery to WTF happened in a brief monologue at the beginning, I think.

You guys should pay attention.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Lost was tolerable during its slow parts and plot holes because the acting carried it. Locke, Ben, Desmond, even Jack and many minor characters were so good that hokey dialogue was forgiven. Outside of Gus Fring and maybe the woman at the end, Revolution was brutal. As much as I hate judging any show off a pilot, I have a hard time seeing it ever being good. (I'll probably still watch anyway, but I also watched all of FlashForward and Terra Nova.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-23-2012 at 04:12 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

I enjoyed the pilot. I hope its not another Lost with all the teasing (and teasing, and teasing). The fighting choreography could be better but I remember early days of Highlander series and how it got progressively better.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #30
cadmus2166
Mascot

I didn't think it was great, but it was decent enough that I'll give it a few episodes and see where it goes.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I really enjoyed it. Pace moved along well and it was a fun hour of tv. I dont over think these things to much. I just want to be entertained.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I concur with those who enjoyed it. It's strange, but the Miles character is somewhat likeable and unlikeable at the same time. I like the character, but I don't necessarily like the fact that he's essentially the Han Solo character (albeit without Chewie).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
rowech
Pro Starter

More and more, I've decided scifi fans are outrageously tough on shows.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

For sure.

It is like they want every little detail perfect yet complain like hell when the network cancels the show because it is to expensive to produce.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
For sure.

It is like they want every little detail perfect yet complain like hell when the network cancels the show because it is to expensive to produce.

Yes.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #36
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
For sure.

Disagree. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but outside of Firefly, every canceled SciFi-esque show had horrible acting.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Agreed. I enjoyed the show. Although, I did wonder about the Asthma inhaler still being good and a few other inconsistencies. I'm hoping these inconsistencies will be explained in future episodes.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #38
Ryan S
Quarterback

The doctor has a terrible English accent. Since she clearly can't pull it off, why not make the character Australian?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Disagree. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but outside of Firefly, every canceled SciFi-esque show had horrible acting.

BSG was pretty good.

I'm in on the show although I'm in on almost every sci-fi show. My hope for the show is that it doesn't come across cheesy. The concept of a post-electronic world is interesting, but I have a fear it's falling into the trap of stereotypical TV characters. We already have the love story lined up, the quirky sidekick who doesn't fit in, the elite soldier who I'm sure we'll find out was trained by the best in some secret covert part of the military.

I don't need ultra-realistic characters in a show, just different ones. I love Walter from Fringe because he's so unique. BSG was great because the characters weren't one dimensional caricatures. I hope these characters in Revolution are unique and not just your standard fare that are seen over and over in TV shows and movies.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

So no thoughts on the second episode yet? I thought it was a little better than the first episode, but nothing spectacular. The twist at the very end was interesting though-I'm curious to see how that happened.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I missed the first, watched the second. Thought it was okay, I'll probably keep watching. I did keep waiting for Kevin Costner to show up and deliver the mail, though.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #42
Easy Mac

Did a 3.5 last night, so it should be good to stay all season, as long as NBC doesn't give it abnormally long breaks. NBC actually won Monday night in its entirety, after finishing last (not counting the CW) all last year.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Last night was alright. I'm still onboard I suppose.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #44
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
BSG was pretty good.

I'm in on the show although I'm in on almost every sci-fi show. My hope for the show is that it doesn't come across cheesy. The concept of a post-electronic world is interesting, but I have a fear it's falling into the trap of stereotypical TV characters. We already have the love story lined up, the quirky sidekick who doesn't fit in, the elite soldier who I'm sure we'll find out was trained by the best in some secret covert part of the military.

I don't need ultra-realistic characters in a show, just different ones. I love Walter from Fringe because he's so unique. BSG was great because the characters weren't one dimensional caricatures. I hope these characters in Revolution are unique and not just your standard fare that are seen over and over in TV shows and movies.

BSG wasn't canceled after it's first season which I think was the point.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #45
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm thoroughly in the "it's not bad, hope it gets better" camp right now.

I get very annoyed at "next time on" stuff that gives away major plot points. Some shows I just know to not watch those.

Looks like this needs to be added to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

I like it so far. You have to give these shows at least half a season to really form an opinion though. But so far it's kept me interested and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #47
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I have a feeling this show is going to end up being different than I thought. I initially thought it was going to be a natural disaster, ensuing chaos, and rebuilding society type show. Now it looks like it will be a man-made disaster for some unknown political/power gain. It may still be good, I just need to reset my expectations.

It will be nice when Charlie (Tracy) gets a few more episodes under her belt. Her acting is a little jarring, but it is close enough to hope that settling into the role will help.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Decent show. Suffers from a bit too much right wing anti-gun control paranoia. But whatever.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Picked up for the season and setting DVR records for NBC.

Millions Time-Shift Disappointment As 'Revolution' Sets DVR Record
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #50
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Picked up for the season and setting DVR records for NBC.

Millions Time-Shift Disappointment As 'Revolution' Sets DVR Record

I fall into this category. I'm watching it recorded every week. Its alright so far, I am hoping it picks up.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote