Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #801
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Assume Tucker is as good as advertised. Is MSU a place from which he can build a consistent top-10 program? Or does he need to make one more move up to another school?

I know very little about the Big 10 to know how realistic turning M. State into a perennial power is.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #802
Kodos
Resident Alien

It'd be a lot easier if MSU was in the Big Ten West division. In the East, you're looking at playing Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan every year.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-25-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #803
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

James Franklin switched agents to Jimmy Sexton. He's leaving for somewhere. USC, I assume.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #804
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas Tech fired Matt Wells and named Sonny Cumbie interim coach
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #805
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I would have said no before, but I am starting to wonder about Franklin now.

Some of these names that get bandied about though:

Quote:
Ex-NFL coach & USC alum Jeff Fisher is in mix for USC’s coaching position, source told @ActionNetworkHQ. On Monday, former USC QB Carson Palmer said candidates include Penn State’s James Franklin, Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Cincinnati’s Luke FIckell & Steelers coach Mike Tomlin

I mean...Mike Tomlin??
Old 10-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #806
Atocep
Coordinator

Fisher's agent making sure his name gets out there to remind everyone he still wants to coach. I can't imaging USC is actually considering him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #807
rjolley
College Starter

I know the Steelers are going to struggle real soon, but Tomlin would leave for USC? That sounds...odd.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #808
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't think for a second he'd take the USC job, but it feels like a mutual parting of the ways is coming there anyway... it's a rebuild job after Big Ben unless they get real lucky in the middle of next years draft or hit on a middling QB in FA.

I think Franklin is angling for an extension again too. There's possibly some unresolved stuff between USC and Sexton given he's Helton's agent. My personal hunch for the job is Matt Campbell, which is probably a good result.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:42 PM   #809
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Fisher's agent making sure his name gets out there to remind everyone he still wants to coach. I can't imaging USC is actually considering him.

6-6 USC for 10 straight years doesnt sound like such a bad option
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #810
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Considering the stability of the franchise, head coach of the Steelers is one of the best coaching jobs in all of football.

Unless he's tired of coaching, I can't see Tomlin leaving. It is a rebuild after Ben retires. So why not stay and help rebuild? And I think that the Steelers are very into the stability projected by the Noll==Cower==Tomlin line. So I don't know if they would be into change for change's sake.

He seems like a guy that players want to play for, so I could see him being a good recruiter and a top college coach. I just don't see any college job as better than what he's got going right now.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #811
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I can't see Tomlin leaving. He's got a good situation in Pittsburgh, and let's face it: USC has been a dumpster fire since Pete Carroll left.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A lot of coaches would leave with the upcoming rebuild because they would be concerned with job security. The Steelers aren't that team. They will keep Tomlin on through a few losing seasons.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #813
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think if Tomlin leaves the Steelers, it would be due to burnout and not to go rebuild a college program. I know he could recruit nationwide and is universally known, but I also don't see him uprooting to California (he's primarily been in the East Coast his whole life and career).

I'm calling James Franklin to USC and Dave Aranda (Baylor) to LSU.

Bonus: Sonny Dykes to Texas Tech just makes too much sense and I think they pulled the plug on Wells to get out in front of anyone else interested in him. His dad was the head coach there, he graduated from and coached there, and I think we can write Cal off as a bad fit after seeing him have success at SMU now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #814
tarcone
Coordinator

Franklin is a tool and I would be happy to see him commit career suicide by going to USC.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #815
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Franklin is a tool and I would be happy to see him commit career suicide by going to USC.

I don't know about him being a tool or much about him, but I also don't see it being a slam dunk that he will succeed there. The Athletic did an article at the beginning of the year asking over 100 ADs, coaches, and staff members and USC was the 5th best head coaching job (behind Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, and LSU), so it is a jump in prestige and I'd assume much more local talent (although I think Eastern PA/NJ/MD/DC is pretty good, as well). Penn State was like 16th (but there was a huge drop-off after the top 7 jobs (Clemson was #7).

It's just hard to believe that there isn't an equally good candidate with West Coast roots. Franklin has been very good and does have experience with a more academic program from his time at Vandy, I guess.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #816
HerRealName
College Prospect

Apparently Franklin's press conference didn't go well today. He stated multiple times that he was focused on Illinois this week and talked about playing the the Big House. Penn State plays at Ohio State this week.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:15 PM   #817
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Leach is even right on candy corn. Mississippi State might have to become a new secondary rooting interest for me. I love his responses to the media.

Mike Leach responds to dumb question and responds with even better answer - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0woCcQH9U

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-26-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #818
Ksyrup

The best part of the original on-field interview is when he's talking about spree in a box, and says "you have to go to the dollar store to find it... but I do."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #819
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Mike Leach is even right on candy corn. Mississippi State might have to become a new secondary rooting interest for me. I love his responses to the media.

Mike Leach responds to dumb question and responds with even better answer - YouTube
Mike Leach asked should candy corn be given a 2nd chance - YouTube

If you are rooting for Mississippi State then, you sir, are dead to me.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #820
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If you are rooting for Mississippi State then, you sir, are dead to me.

Agreed. Taunting Iowa players during a visit to a childrens hospital was about as classless as you can get.

On another note, Every time the Braves have made it to the WS, Florida has beat Georgia

Old 10-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Harrison Bailey will finally escape Knoxville.

Harrison Bailey on Twitter: "ðŸ™ðŸ¼â€¦ "
Old 10-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #822
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Zach Evans was leaving TCU today but has apparently since pulled a 180. He'll be in the portal for sure before next year's free agency starts.

Tim Shepherd on Twitter: "#Breaking: TCU RB Zach Evans has ultimately decided to leave the football program. He will be exploring his options by entering the transfer portal per TCU/Big 12 source. #TCU #CFB"

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 10-27-2021 at 04:53 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #823
bob
College Starter

What's the advantage for these guys that are entering the transfer portal midyear? Presumably they still lose this year of eligibility - does it just allow teams to start talking to them now vs end of season?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #824
Ksyrup

Once they are in the portal, they are free to talk to other schools and line up a roster spot, scholarship, etc.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-27-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #825
Ksyrup

The Covid loophole was pretty bad for people who wanted to game the system and screw over their current teams. I know of a few softball players last year who enrolled for 2020-21, decided in the fall to sit out due to Covid and got a year of school paid for, and then went into the transfer portal for this year.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:15 AM   #826
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98
I cant wait. Sparty is likely going to come back down to earth, but what a job Tucker has done there this year. Tough as nails team with total buy-in from the players. I hope he stays to build on what he's done, but the CU thing makes me think he is leaving shortly.

On this, I think Sparty has a reason to have a chip on their shoulder. I know tradition/brand/etc. but they aren't getting close to their share of the hype/press aside from Walker. I'd be rooting for them on that reason alone if it didn't feel like a betrayal to do so (I'm honor-bound to be a Michigan fan as my father attended there. We had a flyswatter that was maize and blue with the words 'For Spartans, Buckeyes, and other obnoxious pests' This of course was back when U of M actually beat OSU regularly).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-28-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #827
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big night of football for me. Cards play tonight of course, but #24 Coastal does too, weather permitting. Troy, one of four teams tied for first place with App and Georgia State. They are 17 points favorites, which seems too much. They are 2-2 against them lifetime. I hope they have their "mojo" back and are ready for this game.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #828
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
On this, I think Sparty has a reason to have a chip on their shoulder. I know tradition/brand/etc. but they aren't getting close to their share of the hype/press aside from Walker. I'd be rooting for them on that reason alone if it didn't feel like a betrayal to do so (I'm honor-bound to be a Michigan fan as my father attended there. We had a flyswatter that was maize and blue with the words 'For Spartans, Buckeyes, and other obnoxious pests' This of course was back when U of M actually beat OSU regularly).

ha - thats awesome.

We have a rooting interest in MSU since one of the local boys is up there in East Lansing so we've paid attention the past couple of years. I hope Sparty does come in with a chip on their shoulder - that's the only way they have a chance. They need to play with emotion from start to finish and hope to stay healthy because they dont have the quality athletic depth the big boys have. Yet. I think Tucker can get them there, but again, I see him bolting in the offseason.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #829
tarcone
Coordinator

Not much would make me more happy then seeing scUM lose. And I would love for it to be in the same fashion as the muffed punt for a TD with no time left.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #830
Swaggs
Coordinator

Am I the only one that occasionally looks up old conference configurations on Wikipedia?

Today I learned that the Missouri Valley Conference began with Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Washington U, and Drake and later added Oklahoma, Oklahoma State (then A&M), and Grinnell (Iowa). And, that Iowa left to join the Big 8 (which was the wiki I started looking at in the first place).

I also didn't realize that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were both in the SWC. I had thought it was always Texas schools + Arkansas.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #831
tarcone
Coordinator

Thats really cool. Iowa was basically kicked out of the B1G back in the 30s for violations. Not many B1G schools would play them.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #832
Swaggs
Coordinator

Another fun one, that we have maybe talked about before...

In 1932, there were 13 founding members in the SEC:

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Tennessee, and Vanderbilt are all still members.

Georgia Tech left in 1964 to become independent.

Tulane left in 1966 to become independent.

...and, Sewanee: The University of the South (Tenn.) left in 1940 when their leadership decided to deemphasize sports at the school.

In season 2 of Loki, I would like to see the multiverse timeline where Sewane remained in the SEC and became a football and basketball powerhouse.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #833
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Big night of football for me. Cards play tonight of course, but #24 Coastal does too, weather permitting. Troy, one of four teams tied for first place with App and Georgia State. They are 17 points favorites, which seems too much. They are 2-2 against them lifetime. I hope they have their "mojo" back and are ready for this game.

Well that's one win down for my teams tonight as Coastal hangs on to win 35-28, Didn't look good early on, but showed signs of making big plays when they needed to-like the fumble that ended the game. It rained for most of the game, but the end came right when the heaviest wind and rain hit Conway

QB McCall was knocked out of the game at one point. He threw up on the field and there were worries it was a concussion. They took his helmet from him until he was cleared to play again. Have to see the injury report on him for next week's game.

Whew. glad to see that one over with. Now to see if my beloved Cards can pull a win out of their hat
Old 10-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #834
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
In season 2 of Loki, I would like to see the multiverse timeline where Sewane remained in the SEC and became a football and basketball powerhouse.

Hey in 1899 Sewanee went 12-0 and outscore opponents 322–10. That's a pretty good season.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #835
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Hey in 1899 Sewanee went 12-0 and outscore opponents 322–10. That's a pretty good season.

They obviously didn't play Coastal
Old 10-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #836
Swaggs
Coordinator

I looked at their season and saw that they gave up all 10 points in the 2nd to last game of year, when they beat Auburn 11-10. Also fun is that they won their next game, over UNC, by a score of 5-0.

They were also undefeated the year before (in just 4 games) and only gave up 4 (4?) points in a 19-4 win over Vandy. That team also beat Texas, 4-0. I'm not sure if safetys were that much easier to come by or if there was another type of way of the score back then (dropkicks, maybe? - I couldn't find a history of their rules or how many points they are and were worth).
Old 10-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #837
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Need more Wisconsin-Iowa shit posting
Old 10-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #838
Ksyrup

Some follow-up on CUSA's implosion. Again, might not make many waves in football, but a bigger story in NCAA athletics overall. Sun Belt is also pursuing James Madison, which is not only an up and coming football power but also has a big-time mid-major softball program that punches well above its conference status (probably only behind ULL among mid-major programs).

It appears CUSA is going to attempt to go the only route left, which is to be the P6 conference for schools looking to move up from FCS status in the next year or two.

https://apnews.com/article/college-f...ign=SocialFlow
Old 10-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #839
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Some follow-up on CUSA's implosion. Again, might not make many waves in football, but a bigger story in NCAA athletics overall. Sun Belt is also pursuing James Madison, which is not only an up and coming football power but also has a big-time mid-major softball program that punches well above its conference status (probably only behind ULL among mid-major programs).

It appears CUSA is going to attempt to go the only route left, which is to be the P6 conference for schools looking to move up from FCS status in the next year or two.

https://apnews.com/article/college-f...ign=SocialFlow

From someone connected to Marshall, as CUSA started to fall apart they worked with the JMU administration to be a package deal for wherever the chips fell. Their first choice being the Sunbelt, which is shaping up to be a solid league and are big winners in the current realignment.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #840
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From someone connected to Marshall, as CUSA started to fall apart they worked with the JMU administration to be a package deal for wherever the chips fell. Their first choice being the Sunbelt, which is shaping up to be a solid league and are big winners in the current realignment.

Yeah looking like the Sun Belt will get 4 teams from the realignment-means more competition for Coastal, but also some teams won't play each other every year in football
Old 10-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #841
RainMaker
General Manager

Sun Belt should be the best non-power 5. And while not enough depth, the top of the conference might be comparable to what we see out of the ACC and Big 12 (minus Oklahoma and Texas).

Props to them from going from maybe the worst FBS conference to probably the 6th best in a decade.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #842
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
Agreed. Taunting Iowa players during a visit to a childrens hospital was about as classless as you can get.

Really? After everything you've said about Ferentz, esp. in the past year, that's what you want to hang your hat on?

I mean, if it was down to the class and humility of a coach, I would probably just not be fan of anyone. Certainly I don't consider Harbaugh to be anyone's idea of a role model, to put it mildly. I root for Michigan in spite of him.It's always seemed to me that it's become the kind of job that attracts people of less than high character. There are some college coaches I'm sure I'd admire if I looked hard enough, but an awful lot more whose characters I wouldn't wish to emulate.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #843
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post

Not this year. My expectation is for Iowa to win.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #844
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post

Iowa finally proved to me that if they dont get turnover. they cant score.

Defense then exposed.

On that note Wiscy likes to turn the ball over.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #845
tarcone
Coordinator

I really like MSUs unis for their game this week.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:02 AM   #846
Edward64
Head Coach

The Hogs have a bye week. We are at 5-3 so 1 more win for bowl eligibility
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #847
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The World's Largest Cocktail Party happening on the week the Braves are in the World Series. I picked a bad week to not drink. On paper this should be a blow out. Georgia smothering defense. Florida's inability to stop the run. Yet, I have seen this very scenario before almost to the letter turn out to be a blow out loss for the Dawgs. Let's hope this team doesn't overlook how big a trap this game can be.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-30-2021 at 08:45 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #848
bob
College Starter

Small sample size to be sure, but I saw somewhere that the bulldogs have never beat Florida in the same year that the Braves made the World Series
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #849
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Small sample size to be sure, but I saw somewhere that the bulldogs have never beat Florida in the same year that the Braves made the World Series
Yeah. That was the Spurrier years.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #850
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Probably in my earlier post.