Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one...

...who thinks that Clerks 2 looks AWFUL.

I love Kevin Smith's stuff, usually, but this just looks horrendous.

http://www.clerks2.com/

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

no. he hasn't made a good movie in a while.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

some movies just don't need a sequel
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still looking forward to this movie. Every once in a while Kevin Smith seems to take himself a little too seriously, but the trailers for this movie make it look like he is remembering where he came from. I would expect this to be of a similar quality to the first one.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I'm still looking forward to this movie. Every once in a while Kevin Smith seems to take himself a little too seriously, but the trailers for this movie make it look like he is remembering where he came from. I would expect this to be of a similar quality to the first one.

I'm not expecting that at all. I think it will be similar quality to Jay & Bob Strike Back, whatever that POS movie was called.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I'm not expecting that at all. I think it will be similar quality to Jay & Bob Strike Back, whatever that POS movie was called.

That movie had its moments. It was nice to look back and see all of the different characters Jay and Bob interacted with. It certaintly wasn't one of Smith's best movies, but it wasn't all that bad.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chasing Amy is my favorite Smith film, and i believe it was the pinnacle of his career. Dogma had its moments, just generally "too hollywood." Same with JSBSB. I do cut up for the Good Will Hunting 2 stuff, however. I'm not expecting shit from this, the 2 main actors suck for starters.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

On another note of suckitude, what is up with adultswim brining back PeeWee's Playhouse.

Between that, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and the other drek they're showing, I must admit, AS has lost its luster.

/tk
Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
On another note of suckitude, what is up with adultswim brining back PeeWee's Playhouse.

Between that, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and the other drek they're showing, I must admit, AS has lost its luster.

/tk

What the fuck? PeeWee's Playhouse is not drek.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I thought Clerks was one of the very worst movies I had ever seen (I don't go for movies where the only hook is how vulgar everyone can speak). So I wouldn't expect Clerks 2 to be any better.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Oh good. I liked Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, so I guess I'll like this one too.

And PeeWee's Playhouse rules!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I thought Clerks was one of the very worst movies I had ever seen (I don't go for movies where the only hook is how vulgar everyone can speak). So I wouldn't expect Clerks 2 to be any better.

It wasn't really a hook, it is pretty much how people of that age do speak. The movie is very different because it didn't have a huge story-arc. It was really a slice of life movie. Some of the conversations they had were pretty funny...like the discussion of the independant contractors on the Death Star. Other conversations weren't all that great.

I think the biggest problem in the Kevin Smith movies has been the acting. There were some horrible performances in Clerks, Mallrats (especially bad in the one), and Dogma. By now the actors and acting should be decent, so that is one less thing to worry about.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

Once Smith started to believe his own hype, he went down hill fast. I agree that "Chasing Amy" was his best movie, and after that he's been mediocre and bad at times.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

What a suprise!

Just for context's sake, can you give us your top 5 favorite movies?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Other conversations weren't all that great.

Have you ever wonder how much the average jizz-mopper makes per hour?

And just to note, me and my friends speak pretty much like the characters in Clerks do. I guess that's why I never really took notice and wondered what the big deal was with the language in the film.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
What a suprise!

Just for context's sake, can you give us your top 5 favorite movies?

Godfather 1
Godfather 2
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Gettysburg
Excalibur

Want more?
Field of Dreams
Pirates of the Caribbean
Good, Bad and Ugly
Ocean's 11
Harry Potter
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Godfather 1
Godfather 2
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Gettysburg
Excalibur

Want more?
Field of Dreams
Pirates of the Caribbean
Good, Bad and Ugly
Ocean's 11
Harry Potter

Your list, as is anyone else's, is crap without Strange Brew on it.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 AM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh. I enjoy Smith - and anyone who took JSBSB seriously needs to get their heads rexamined. It wasn't a movie - it was a big inside joke to those who were amused by the View Askew universe, and he made absolutely no effort to sell it as anything else.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #19
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Have you ever wonder how much the average jizz-mopper makes per hour?

And just to note, me and my friends speak pretty much like the characters in Clerks do. I guess that's why I never really took notice and wondered what the big deal was with the language in the film.
The whole conversation about the girl who only had sex with three other guys, but didn't count the 37 guys who's dicks she sucked was too funny.

Heck, it even inspired a US President.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #20
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
The whole conversation about the girl who only had sex with three other guys, but didn't count the 37 guys who's dicks she sucked was too funny.

Heck, it even inspired a US President.

which president had sex with 3 other guys?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
which president had sex with 3 other guys?
I don't know, but one US president comes to mind that used her definition of a blow job not counting as having sex with someone.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
What a suprise!

"

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #23
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Your list, as is anyone else's, is crap without Strange Brew on it.
Take off, eh.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #24
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This thread should now be about Pee Wee's Playhouse. I don't really watch TV, but I would watch that.

Larry Fishburne!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
This thread should now be about Pee Wee's Playhouse. I don't really watch TV, but I would watch that.

Larry Fishburne!
And Phil Hartman!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
And Phil Hartman!
Kleenex, please.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #27
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Kleenex, please.

I didn't realise that Phil Hartman turned you on. In the future, please keep information like that to yourself.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

/tk

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Watched the original last night. Still one of the most over-rated movies ever. Had some decent dialog which was destroyed by horrible actors.
Chasing Amy was his best, but had the worst ending ever.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #30
Subby
lolzcat

I have always felt that Kevin Smith would be at his best ceoncentrating on writing scripts and leaving the directing to someone else. I really think he is a horrible director - stuff that can't be explained away by low budgets...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That movie had its moments. It was nice to look back and see all of the different characters Jay and Bob interacted with. It certaintly wasn't one of Smith's best movies, but it wasn't all that bad.

Indeed... it was just a big joke, nothing serious involved there. Just for fans really.

I'm looking forward to Clerks II. I didn't think Clerks 1 was as good as the hype, but I really liked Dogma & Chasing Amy.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I didn't realise that Phil Hartman turned you on. In the future, please keep information like that to yourself.
How could Phil Hartman not turn someone on? I loved Phil Hartman.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
How could Phil Hartman not turn someone on? I loved Phil Hartman.

Because he was a 50 year old man? Hey, I'm all for enjoying the mans comedic talents, but you won't see me killing any kittens while watching an episode of News Radio.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #34
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I'm looking forward to Clerks II. I didn't think Clerks 1 was as good as the hype, but I really liked Dogma & Chasing Amy.

Out of curiosity, did you see Clerks before or after you heard the hype? I saw the movie after and I also thought it wasn't worth the hype. After getting away from the hype though, I've come to appreciate how good and different it was.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #35
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Kevin Smith tested the movie in front of a hand-picked house full of people who loved the original Clerks - probably fans from his View Askew website. IIRC, they absolutely loved the movie. Which makes sense, since Clerks 2 is nothing other than a movie made especially for fans of the first.

If you didn't like love the original, then you have no business going to see this one. Pretty simple.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #36
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

He also showed the movie at the Cannes film festival where it did very well. I do agree with your general point that people will probably feel about the second movie much as they felt about the first movie.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #37
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno. As I said, I'm a fan of Kevin Smith. I drink the Kevin Smith Kool-Aid, as it were. I saw Clerks before it got overhyped and loved it. I think Mallrats was his worst effort. I appreciated what he did with Jay & Silent Bob (heck, I own all his movies but the latest, Jersey Girl), but I think I'm going to have a tough time justifying to myself spending $10 to see Clerks 2 in the theater...just my $0.02, anyway.

And I stand by what I said about PeeWee's Playhouse. BLECH.

/tk
Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #38
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
He also showed the movie at the Cannes film festival where it did very well. I do agree with your general point that people will probably feel about the second movie much as they felt about the first movie.
8-minute standing ovation. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by dervack : 07-05-2006 at 03:03 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #39
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I dunno. As I said, I'm a fan of Kevin Smith. I drink the Kevin Smith Kool-Aid, as it were. I saw Clerks before it got overhyped and loved it. I think Mallrats was his worst effort. I appreciated what he did with Jay & Silent Bob (heck, I own all his movies but the latest, Jersey Girl), but I think I'm going to have a tough time justifying to myself spending $10 to see Clerks 2 in the theater...just my $0.02, anyway.

/tk

I haven't seen Jersey Girl, and I agree that Mallrats was probably his worst (of those I've seen). It is too bad really because there was some good stuff in Mallrats, but the acting was just so bad. I'm going to see Clerks 2 when it comes out and I hope I'm not disappointed. If I can keep myself from getting too excited about it, I might be able to avoid disappointment.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #40
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Mallrats is my favorite one. Personally I find the bad acting in the movies endearing, Randall is my favorite character from any of the movies and he was the worst actor of the bunch.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #41
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
but you won't see me killing any kittens while watching an episode of News Radio.

Many kittens should be scared when Maura Tierney is on TV.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #42
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Mallrats is my favorite one. Personally I find the bad acting in the movies endearing, Randall is my favorite character from any of the movies and he was the worst actor of the bunch.

I'm sort of the same way. I don't really pay much attention to how good the acting is in "stupid comedies". If someone gives a horrible performance in a historic epic or crime drama, and other "serious" movies, it'll bother me. But for "stupid comedies" and to a lesser extent horror movies, it's not the reason I'm watching them. Stupid comedies are for laughing and horror is for fucked up shit happening. The only thing that would bother me is if the horrible acting really screws up the delivery of the jokes, but that usually doesn't happen.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #43
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I'm sort of the same way. I don't really pay much attention to how good the acting is in "stupid comedies". If someone gives a horrible performance in a historic epic or crime drama, and other "serious" movies, it'll bother me. But for "stupid comedies" and to a lesser extent horror movies, it's not the reason I'm watching them. Stupid comedies are for laughing and horror is for fucked up shit happening. The only thing that would bother me is if the horrible acting really screws up the delivery of the jokes, but that usually doesn't happen.

I usually have a pretty high tolerance for bad acting in these types of movies, but Jeremy London was just nails on a chalkboard bad. He was so bad that I couldn't look past it. By way of comparison, there were plenty of sub-par performances in Clerks, but none that really bothered me.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you see Clerks before or after you heard the hype? I saw the movie after and I also thought it wasn't worth the hype. After getting away from the hype though, I've come to appreciate how good and different it was.

After. It is different, and has some fun one liners, but really is no where near the hype was at the time I saw it... especially since I'm from New Jersey and had a bunch of friends say I had to see it (my best friend, back right after it was released [before I knew her], drove around with her friends one day to try to find the convenience store where they filmed Clerks... yeah, I know).
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #45
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
After. It is different, and has some fun one liners, but really is no where near the hype was at the time I saw it... especially since I'm from New Jersey and had a bunch of friends say I had to see it (my best friend, back right after it was released [before I knew her], drove around with her friends one day to try to find the convenience store where they filmed Clerks... yeah, I know).

Telling someone they have to see a movie is a good way to ensure they won't like it. When people talk about a movie, mob-mentality sets in and the quality of the movie goes up with every re-telling. Very few movies can live up to mob-mentality over-hyping.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #46
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Kevin Smith movies are enjoyable. Nothing wrong with just wanting to be entertained and hear a lot of New Jersey references once in a while.

I'm probably the lone guy who likes Mallrats best.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

I saw Clerks and Mallrats back when I was a young, naive teen and really liked them then. Haven't seen either one in years though. Same with Chasing Amy - in fact, I pretty much can't remember anything about that movie.

Dogma on the other hand I've seen a few times and I really like it still. It's my favourite of all his films and probably the most "intelligent" - not that being intelligent is a must for movies I like.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a fun, dumb film, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I haven't seen any ads for Clerks 2, nor did I even know they were making one until I saw this thread. Unless a friend drags me along to it, I doubt I'll catch it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #48
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Telling someone they have to see a movie is a good way to ensure they won't like it. When people talk about a movie, mob-mentality sets in and the quality of the movie goes up with every re-telling. Very few movies can live up to mob-mentality over-hyping.

I noticed that too. If someone tells me I'm going to love a movie, usually expectations get too high. On the other hand, if someone tells me a movie will suck, I go in with no expectations and usually get some value out of it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Probably true... I waited far too long to see it. I say that because since I was from Jersey, whenever one of my friends heard I've never seen Clerks, I was told I had to go see it (we Jerseyites get excited when we get noticed... for good).
Old 07-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #50
Easy Mac

I'll third the Mallrats was my favorite. Jason Lee at his best (Earl is just an OK show for me). And anything with the London's means great times (Mallrats, Dazed and Confused, Party of Five, 7th Heaven, Dracula 2)...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote