Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #151
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I have to confess.

I'm a transtextual.

Hah, because I was hoping to use the word in scrabble, I looked it up.

https://medium.com/@llanirfreelance/...d-f89886f90c67
Quote:
How do you read texts? Are you sure your interpretation and understanding of what you are reading is only coming from the text in front of you or is some of the meaning being transferred from elsewhere? The idea of transtextuality suggests that it is.

French literary critique Gerard Genette (1930) took the idea of Bakhtin and Kristeva’s concept of intertextuality — that texts are not the original product of one author — one step further. Genette’s work Palimpsests proposes and defines ‘transtextuality’ as a more comprehensive term that determines “all that which puts one text in relation, whether manifest or secret, with other texts.” In other words, Genette’s theory of transtextuality describes the numerous ways a later text prompts readers to read or remember an earlier one.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #152
Izulde
Head Coach

Ugh. Bakhtin. Nightmares of senior year undergrad suddenly popped up. I still see that purple book with the charcoal drawing. Oh how I hated Bakhtin.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #153
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Ugh. Bakhtin. Nightmares of senior year undergrad suddenly popped up. I still see that purple book with the charcoal drawing. Oh how I hated Bakhtin.

So are the intertextuality & transtextuality theories generally accepted as true?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #154
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't really have a strong opinion but my initial impression of the 18 year limit is it's a good idea. I'm not sure I like limiting appointing 2 justices per 4 year term though.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN26F3L3
Quote:
Democrats in of the House of Representatives will introduce a bill next week to limit the tenure of U.S. Supreme Court justices to 18 years from current lifetime appointments, in a bid to reduce partisan warring over vacancies and preserve the court’s legitimacy.

The new bill, seen by Reuters, would allow every president to nominate two justices per four-year term and comes amid heightened political tensions as Republican President Donald Trump prepares to announce his third pick for the Supreme Court after the death on Sept. 18 of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, with just 40 days to go until the Nov. 3 election.
:
:
Partly due to rising life expectancies, justices serve increasingly long tenures, on average now more than 25 years.

Term limits for high court justices have for years had support from a number of legal scholars on both the right and the left. Several polls in recent years have also shown large majorities of the American public support term limits.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #155
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There are several "fix the court" proposals out there. The 18-year term limit one has gotten the most traction.

You still might have the Garland problem where the Senate just refuses to confirm a nominee.

But if your Senate is that dysfunctional in the long term, then your democracy is probably on the road to failure anyway and everything else is just arranging deck chairs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #156
JPhillips
General Manager

I favor the 18 year plan, but most people think it would take an amendment and that's isn't happening right now. Something needs to be done to lower the stakes of these appointments. It isn't healthy for the nation to go through these fights.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #157
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a pretty cool story. Never occurred to me that SCOTUS justices would do marriage ceremonies (but in retrospect, why wouldn't they). Apparently (from another article) they have done them for former clerks, friends & families but it would be cool if they had a "pro-bono" quota to do civil ceremonies for the common folks during their breaks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/polit...eks/index.html
Quote:
Eric Motley, whose wedding she was to officiate the night of her death, was told two days earlier, without reference to Ginsburg's medical condition, that the wedding would have to be postponed.

"I had been in touch with the chambers, in preparation for Friday," Motley told CNN. "They said we need to push it back, let's look at some other days."

Motley, who wrote about the planned wedding with Ginsburg in an essay for the New York Times, told CNN that he and the justice had exchanged personal emails during the summer and that she had sent him an upbeat note and photograph of the two of them, speaking with a maestro during an opera reception, pre-coronavirus. Ginsburg and Motley, who came to Washington as a special assistant to President George W. Bush, first met in 2002 at a dinner party and realized they shared a love of music.

Ginsburg had planned to marry Motley and his fiancée in a quiet ceremony on a patio at her apartment. She had officiated at a similar outdoor ceremony last month, after which the newlyweds posted a photo on Twitter. Ginsburg, clad in her black judicial robe and one of her distinctive decorative collars, was sitting at a lectern between them.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #158
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It depends on the state, I think. Some states let federal judges marry people; some do not.

In my line of work, I run into a lot of former federal judicial clerks. And I have seen it done--in the states that don't allow federal judges to officiate--to have the couple go to the state courthouse the day before to get it done legally, and then to have the actual ceremony with all the guests and stuff presided over by the federal judge.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

Barrett is officially the nominee. The obvious choice since she worked on Bush v Gore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Booo… she's really out there.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stack the courts
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #162
Edward64
Head Coach

Another cool pic.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...b811515b232351
Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was joined by a bipartisan group of female lawmakers from the House and Senate to bid farewell to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as her casket departed the US Capitol.

Earlier this morning, Ginsburg became the first woman and Jewish person in history to lie in state in the building.

Throughout her more than 27 years on the Supreme Court, Ginsburg became a trailblazer for women's rights and a role model to generations. Ginsburg was the second woman to serve on the highest court, after Sandra Day O'Connor.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #163
JPhillips
General Manager

Taking that down the steps and staying in cadence has to be tricky.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So Trump's Press Secretary said that Amy Coney Barrett is a Rhodes scholar.

She got her undergrad from Rhodes College in Tennessee.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #165
spleen1015
Coordinator

My bad.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #166
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, as always, we're left to wonder:
1) Do they just not know the difference?
2) Did they throw it out there just to troll?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. But if someone was trying to, say, be competent - they'd get dinged for this. But he's just assumed to be incompetent but trusted implicitly by his followers so it's just a "who cares".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #167
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It appears Senator Mike Lee has also tested positive for COVID today and has symptoms. He serves on the Judiciary Committee. I can't imagine they have hearings for Barrett any time in the next couple weeks. But maybe they'll do it virtually? Though have they allowed for virtual votes?