Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Alright boyz here we go!!! Hearts of Iron IV

This is THE most anticipated title from Paradox is a while for me.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-06-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

Release scheduled for????? June 6th?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I tried HoI3 (which was a broken mess at launch) and went straight back to HoI2 where I could put Game of Thrones folk as my generals and Star Wars characters as my scientists.

What's new in HoI4 anyways?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

From my understanding the gameplay has been made similar to EUIV, to curb the over-complexity syndrome of previous versions.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I tried HoI3 (which was a broken mess at launch) and went straight back to HoI2 where I could put Game of Thrones folk as my generals and Star Wars characters as my scientists.

What's new in HoI4 anyways?

This is my experience. HOI2 was a fun game with a decent balance of some realism and the freedom to do what you wanted to do and feel like you were affecting the game.

HOI3 for me was a horrid grind and was probably far more realistic but I just never got into it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I never buy Paradox at release, but I trust this will be great eventually.

I grew to love HOI3, but it took a long time to figure it out.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

HOI always seemed overly micro-management oriented. I have a good feeling that this will be a game changer for the series.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
From my understanding the gameplay has been made similar to EUIV, to curb the over-complexity syndrome of previous versions.

Wait a sec, huh?

Even I managed to not only grasp but play relatively well HOI.

That EU stuff? Dear God.

(Not dogging your opinion, just bewildered by having never seen anyone suggest that EU was less complicated than HOI .. which is how I read your comment)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

I find EUIV easy to play, hard to master. Of course, I played EU and CK regularly and barely have touched HOI. I'd like to add it to my rotation and so far, it's just been a no-go. We'll see!

Last edited by Dutch : 05-19-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I watched a video a couple of the devs I believe did playing as Japan and going through things and I have to say I was pretty impressed overall. I didn't like most of the changes for HoI3, just made the game seem much more generic.

HoI2 Darkest Hour was high point of series to me and one I still go back and play quite a bit.

I think HoI has always been hard to compare a bit to EU. I think it's less complicated overall because it is very war focused and covers a much shorter time span, but the micromanagement is at a much higher level than EU. I get a bit tired managing every division, and I'm curious how well the "Battle Plans" they've introduced in 4 will actually handle this. It sure looked slick in the video, but the guy running the show also knows the game forward and backwards.

I wasn't hyped for 3 from the start but I might actually grab this one at release even.

Last edited by Calis : 05-19-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

I agree with Dutch. EU is super easy to play, very hard to master. I've also never had an affinity for HOI. Vicky also wasn't my cup of tea
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I've been reading the dev diaries and I have to admit that this game is becoming more attractive to me. I like the idea of the major nations having a unique national focus and that they have sort of brought back tech teams.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-21-2016 at 06:44 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Green Man Gaming has this for 25% off.

The "Field Marshall" edition of the game will let you get the first two expansions for free. So we know we're getting at least two expansions.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
Bobble
College Prospect

What's the difference between Cadet and Colonel Edition?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
What's the difference between Cadet and Colonel Edition?

As far as I can tell it's just some cosmetic packs for tanks and certain ships. I guess the US tanks won't look like the German tanks.

I guess it's like the cosmetic packs EUIV had.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I like HOI3 but right now am not planning on pre-ordering here. From what I've seen it just seems too cartoony/dumbed-down. Having not seen a great amount of detail I'm staying the 'jury's still out' category, but definitely sticking with Stellaris for the time being.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Getting close now for release...tomorrow is the day!
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a review embargo or something? I can't find any reviews for it.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #19
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I would guess so, although a lot of people have access to do video streams and have been showing them in detail since end of last week. In a few hours, we get to find out for ourselves
Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

I travel on Mondays. So I don't know when I will get a peek at this. Maybe the weekend. Can't wait to read the reviews though.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:35 AM   #21
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

My time is limited this week too, shame it didn't get released before the weekend....
Old 06-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #22
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I would guess so, although a lot of people have access to do video streams and have been showing them in detail since end of last week. In a few hours, we get to find out for ourselves

Reviews are coming in now. 88 so far on metacritic.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #23
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Anyone know where the ledger equivalent is in this game? I found the current wars list (click globe in upper left)but I'd like to know where I can see who sank what and all the other details that were available in HOI 2/3.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This game really speeds along for a country that isn't at war (such as the USA 1936 scenario). It also seems easier to get non-historical gameplay.

I can't seem to find any ledgers like Peregrine mentioned. I think the thing I want most is to be able to drag and drop my production priorities with the mouse instead of clicking arrows. Also I'm thinking that maybe Army/Air production should have a different tab than naval production.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I have to wait several weeks for this .. but it's getting good reviews (being disabled sucks )
Old 06-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #26
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I have to wait several weeks for this .. but it's getting good reviews (being disabled sucks )

I'm liking it so far but not loving it. It's like playing an Civ5 w/ no expansions vs Civ4 with all the add-ons. I'm liking many of the streamlined concepts.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #27
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I have to admit, so far I like the easier approach to the game.....could never stick with the past versions because of complexity, but so far seems accessible and something I can grasp. Hard core players may feel differently and that is completely understandable.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty good review.

Hearts Of Iron IV: The Kotaku Review
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #29
tarcone
Coordinator

I so want to play a game like this. But this would be way over my head. I couldnt get CK2. I doubt I could get this.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #30
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I cringe at AI problems. They'll eventually get fixed, but anybody skilled will find the game pretty easy if the AI complaints are justified.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #31
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I have to admit, so far I like the easier approach to the game.....could never stick with the past versions because of complexity, but so far seems accessible and something I can grasp. Hard core players may feel differently and that is completely understandable.

Am seeing alot of Tutorial videos and such for newbies which is nice, and I must admit this games seems a heck of a lot easier to learn then HOI2 which im still struggling to grasp. The big complaint im reading from veterans of the series, is the game is very ''arcade'' like, catered very much to newbies, and therefore not as deep as other games in the series. I will probably give it a go once I watch more awesome videos on youtube.

Last edited by djsatu : 06-08-2016 at 02:57 PM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #32
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
The big complaint im reading from veterans of the series, is the game is very ''arcade'' like, catered very much to newbies, and therefore not as deep as other games in the series. I will probably give it a go once I watch more awesome videos on youtube.

Given that Stellaris is very much the same way I have to say I am a bit worried about the new Paradox direction.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Given that Stellaris is very much the same way I have to say I am a bit worried about the new Paradox direction.

Yeah, as Jon pointed out earlier, I can see this as a major concern for the avid fans of the series. I think a better approach is to allow us to choose our level of control (I haven't seen the game yet, so I don't know how this works out currently).

The end result though is what do we want? Everybody is different in that regard. I want to play a game of this nature where I can complete the entire timeframe and then replay. If I'm exhausted and don't get through 1940 (that's me in HOI2 and HOI3) then the complexity and desire to learn the complexity is lost.

I like to classify strategy/wargamers as 1%ers, 10%ers and everybody else. HOI is a 1%er type of game. CK2 and EUIV are 10%er type games and I'll bet they sell a lot better. Mostly because they are easier to play through. So it seems Paradox is making a concerted effort to reach more strategy gamers.

The 1%ers are the losers here and are probably gonna have to stick with MatrixGames.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I like to classify strategy/wargamers as 1%ers, 10%ers and everybody else. HOI is a 1%er type of game. CK2 and EUIV are 10%er type games and I'll bet they sell a lot better. Mostly because they are easier to play through. So it seems Paradox is making a concerted effort to reach more strategy gamers.

The 1%ers are the losers here and are probably gonna have to stick with MatrixGames.

Then again, the 0.1%ers could already be quite snobbish about Paradox before this release.
(the forum thread is from 2014)

HOI 4 disappointing preview

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-08-2016 at 07:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #35
Bobble
College Prospect

I've got this but haven't really cracked it open. How's it shaping up? Wait for the first patch?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #36
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I enjoy it but it definitely needs some patching - I think the AI is pretty weak in some areas (I've noticed countries often don't do much to protect their capitals for example.)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #37
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thanks Peregrine - anyone else have any thoughts on whether this is worth it at full price right now? The Paradox boards seem to suggest it's far from a great game
Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've only played with Italy and Brazil to keep the daunting task of jumping in as the USA on hold. Mostly so I can learn the mechanics.

I do t know how much of it is bugginess and how much is "a new experience and replay ability".

For instance, I have no idea how scripted AI nations are with ideological strategies. I turned Brazil into super fan of the Allies and used Brazilian infantry divisions to mop up North Africa when Italy was in shambles. I could easily have turned to "the dark side" which is fun...but I could this this level of volatility discouraging of the AI does that too.

But it's fun to learn.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Thanks Peregrine - anyone else have any thoughts on whether this is worth it at full price right now? The Paradox boards seem to suggest it's far from a great game

I'd say it's not quite there yet. If you plan to micromanage and control everything, it might be okay, but I wanted to split my armies up and use the Front Line, Offensive Line, etc. options so I didn't have to control every unit, but that mechanic is far from good enough.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #40
bhlloy
Coordinator

Having read some more about this, I might be in the Paradox snob category. Some of the design decisions just seem to not be my cup of tea.

For example, oil being needed only to build/replenish divisions and no modelling of fuel consumption, allowing even small countries to have massive armies and navies that can operate with impunity in the field even towards the end of the war.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #41
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I've played this game over 50 hours acording to Steam. IMO this is the best version of HoI. I loved 2 and skipped 3 due to the problems at launch. More refinements can be done. But I love the national focuses and I love the fact that there is a historical button included. It does feel kind of vanilla, and I wish there was more feedback on the air war, but I'm lovin this version of the game.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #42
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think it will be great once they continue to fix the AI - the AI problems so far really aggravate me.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Too amusing not to share.

- Germany launches an invasion of the Netherlands, citing ancient HRE claims, and German lineage. Within weeks, the Dutch cede their territory, including overseas holdings, to the Reich.

- Support for National Socialism in Scandinavia grows, leading to many calls for early elections.

- Britain launches an unprovoked attack on Denmark, fearing the spread of National Socialism. Many countries in Europe condemn this imperialistic action.

- Belgium sends a volunteer force to Denmark, to help fight the British aggressors.

- Austria peacefully joins Germany.

- Czechoslovakia is dissolved. Germany and Hungary take portions of territory, and, after much negotiation, Germany and Poland agree to a deal - Poland will cede Danzig in exchange for Slovakia.

So, in early 1940, we have a mostly peaceful Germany successfully negotiating the return of much of their territory, while Britain wages aggressive war against Denmark, and is making noise against the rest of the Nordic states. France has not allied with the UK (presumably due to their wars of aggression). Germany the peacemaker against UK tyranny!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #44
Dutch
"Dutch"

I just played through as the Turks. Went hard core Fascism. Joined the Axis. Invaded Iraq and took Mosul. Then the Italians and Germans came in and wiped up the Allied Expeditionary forces that were causing me grief.

The Russians didn't do a thing because they were adhering to the non-aggression pact.

I had only 10 divisions left (of 35 that started due to the Allied intervention).

The Germans invade Russia and ask for my assistance. So I figure, sure, I don't need these remaining 10 divisions and send them to Germany who promptly put them on the Russian front lines never to be seen or heard from again.

Then Germany asks if I want to join in the war against Russia. I thought I was! Nope, only with the Allies...but I agree. And Russia plows right through Turkey and most of North Africa and even Central Africa.

Oops, probably shoulda read that pop-up a little more carefully!

Thankfully the Germans and Italians stop the Russians from taking Istanbul and I build up a few divisions. There are probably 50 Russian divisions in Asia Minor so I won't fuck with them.

So I decide the defense of Istanbul is boring and take my divisions north around the Black Sea and strike at the southern most province of the the German/Russian southern front. I break through and that generates a lot of buzz from the German armies and they strike deep into the Crimea. I'd like to think I helped make that happen!

Then the Russians decide they've had enough of me and take Istanbul and my game was over.

It was pretty fun!

Last edited by Dutch : 07-12-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #45
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

How long are you finding a typical playthrough taking?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #46
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think the total run time at high speed was about 6 hours. If I knew more about the mechanics and played with a larger nation, I know I would have to slow it down a lot.