Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Sweden's Scrubs: Visby (FM 06)

So I've once again decided to plunge into FM 06 and have elected to take on the Swedish Second Division with Visby.

Visby's predicted to bravely battle against relegation and that's because the team is Conference North/South level of suckiness.

A brief snapshot as we begin:

Goalkeeper:

Oscar Forsstrom, 22 years old (Finland)
Highest attribute is Handling, which is 11. Bunch of 7s, 8s and 9s otherwise. Determined, fit, and a good worker, he's a pretty good physical specimen in my opinion. Who knows? Maybe he can grow into a good goalie.

John Wiberg, 19 years old (Sweden)
More accomplished goalie than Forsstrom, but I hate his tendency to punch. Also has almost no stamina to speak of. Brave and with flair, though.

Defenders

D/DM L/C Daniel Engstrom, 23 years old (Sweden)
Strong tackler (15), fantastic penalty kicker (19), with good heading skills, strength, teamwork, work rate. In short, probably our best all-around defender. He'll form the core of our backline.

DC Joakim Lindgren, 29 years old (Sweden)
Good tackler and header with high influence (16). Unfortunately, his 1 technique tells me really shouldn't be on the pitch. A prime candidate to be transfer-listed. In fact, I'll do that now.

DRLC Jakob Kahn, 20 years old (Sweden)
Fantastic team player (17) with respectable tackling and marking skills. Not much better at technique than Lindgren, but he's still young yet and presumably has upside. That, combined with his versatility, makes him extremely important.

DRL, MRLC Daniel Backeus, 25 years old (Sweden)
A nice blend of passing and defending skills, he doesn't have the greatest stamina and is one of the least naturally fit guys on the squad, which leads me to suggest that he'll be more of a valuable first-line sub than a starter.

DRC Robert Karlsson, 17 years old (Sweden)
Brilliant teamwork (18), good work rate and natural fitness. Decent defender skills and plays with flair. Composure may be a concern. Still, he'll get every shot to be one of the starters on the backline.

DC, SW Robert Nilsson, 29 years old (Sweden)
Decent defender skills, shows good flair and is one of the best decision makers on the backline. He'll likely start at DC along with Engstrom, shifting Karlsson to the right side.

DRL Mattias Harring, 27 years old (Sweden)
Okay defender skills, with nice mental skills. Extremely weak with a strength of 3, but he's a better fit for the left side than Kahn at this point.

DRL, MRL Carl-Oscr Sjostrom, 29 years old (Sweden)
Valuable mostly for the fact that he can play the left side, his influence (17) and his PK abilities (16). Skills are a cut below everyone else, but his versatility means we keep him and make him a team captain and PK man when he's in.

DRLC Simon Lorenzton, 18 years old (Sweden)
Mediocre across the board, except penalty kicks (14). Could develop into something with some more seasoning and playing time, which he's likely to get in this squad.

DC Johan Algvist, 19 years old (Sweden)
Okay heading skills and technique, especially for his age, but he's more or less transfer fodder.

Down on the Farm

D/DM C Mats Gustavsson, 16 years old (Sweden)
13 passing, 10 tackling, 8 marking are all fantastic for his age. A bit of a lazy ass, his overall skill set intrigues me enough that I'm going to try signing him to a contract and put him in the mix to see how he does.

Everyone else is fodder.

Midfielders

DM/M/AM C Daniel Soderstrand, 28 years old (Sweden)
A solid player across the board, but not a standout in any one category. Our best passer.

AMLR/ST Martin Johansson, 26 years old (Sweden)
17 influence and like Soderstrand, a solid all-around player with no real standouts outside of his influence. Our likely team captain, he's accomplished at the left and right midfield spots, but is best suited as a striker, which is where he'll probably end up.

AMRLC, MC Fredrik Larsson, 28 years old (Sweden)
Low stamina and strength make him a backup option only. Not really the best fit for our team, so I'll transfer list him.

MRC Bjorn Karlsson, 20 years old (Sweden)
Terrific PKer (19), with some very nice mental attributes... and he's out 5-6 months with an injury. Our second-best midfielder too. Sigh. At this point, I'm tempted to break from the standard 4-4-2 formation and go with something unorthodox. We just do not have the midfield talent to run four midfielders right now.

MC Emil Nortstrom-Gafvert, 18 years old (Sweden)
16 aggression, 16 bravery, 17 creativity, 16 teamwork, 14 work rate, 13 pace. Beautiful, beautiful attributes, but he's extremely raw and plays just one position on top of it. Still, the state of midfield on our team is such that he'll get ample opportunities.

ML/AMLC Kacper Derczynski, 24 years old (Poland)
16 long shots, 17 long throws make him our throw-in guy, I imagine. Okay attributes otherwise. Immediately penciled in as our starting left midfielder, if only because we have no one else.

DMC/MLR/AMLR Christian Hederstedt, 20 years old (Sweden)
12 fitness and 12 pace give him some small hope for the future. More of a body than anything else, though.

Down on the Farm

AMR/ST Pontus Ivarsson, 15 years old (Sweden)
Besides having the coolest first name ever, he's got a nice blend of kicking skills and isn't too shabby a passer. Accomplished at MR, he's best suited as a striker and has good fitness and stamina. I'll offer him a contract. There's one other guy I have my eye on, but he's too raw to bring up right now.

Striker

AML/ML/ST Alexander Gerndt, 18 years old (Sweden)
A real dribbler and sniper, he has a stamina of 1, thus greatly dampening my enthusiasm for him. He's a one skill set kind of guy and while he'll get his chances because we're so thin at striker, I don't much like him right now due to the stamina issue.

ST Anders Linberg, 22 years old (Sweden)
Okay all-around skills for a striker, but I actually prefer Pontus to him.

Analysis:
We need major help at goalie and midfielder and we could use some more depth at striker. I've sent our scout to comb the UK and Ireland for whatever can help us.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Real players? Fake?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Real players? Fake?

Real.

I do have a question, though. How are teams finding transfer players so soon? I've seen at least 8-10 transfers so far but whenever I look in the transfer or expired contract list, it's either empty or only with 1 guy.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Real.

I do have a question, though. How are teams finding transfer players so soon? I've seen at least 8-10 transfers so far but whenever I look in the transfer or expired contract list, it's either empty or only with 1 guy.

Its possible to get a transfer that's not listed. You have to search some other way, or go to the team page.

The players that are transfer listed are usually available at a discount.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Its possible to get a transfer that's not listed. You have to search some other way, or go to the team page.

The players that are transfer listed are usually available at a discount.

Okay, I'll have to do that... unfortunately I think the transfer window is over until July in a few days at the point I'm at in the game.

On the other hand... well.. you'll see when I recap the friendlies.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Code:
Friendlies RUF 0-3 Oskarshamm 3-1 Nybro 2-0 Farjestaden 4-2

Tried a 5-3-2 formation the first game and that didn't work at all as you can see by the final scoreline. So I switched to a 4-3-3 after that, which really is more of a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (4 D, 1 DM, 2 MC, 2 AM (L/R), 1 ST) and that worked out excellently.

A few quick notes:

Goalies
Oscar Forsstrom was playing well and had a clean sheet, but then he got seriously hurt in the third friendly. Bad enough to be out for about a month, actually. In stepped John Wiberg, who's played surprisingly well, but it remains to be seen if he can keep his form going now that friendlies are over.

Defenders
Daniel Engstrom was the rock I expected, posting a 7.50 average rating over the friendly period. Jacob Kahn played lights out the last two friendlies and scored the upset as he earned himself a starting spot on the backline. The other spots are unsettled, but I'm tenatively slating Robert Nilsson and Carl-Oscr Sjostrom as the other two starters, for they just seem to be ever slightly above the rest of the pack.

Midfielders
Daniel Soderstrand was the most consistent midfielder, but Kacper Derczynski was right behind him despite playing out of position in centre midfield. Soderstrand will obviously be one of the starting midfielders and Derczynski will man the left attacking midfielder slot after performing extremely well there in our last friendly. Mats Gustavsson, Daniel Backeus, and Christian Hederstadt were all about equal playing DM, Hederstadt proving a pleasant surprise there, but I think Backeus was just slightly better than the other two and gets the starting nod.

Strikers
It pisses me off that Pontus Ivarsson is ineligible to play in the Sweden Cup. The kid's 15, but he led the team in scoring with 3 goals during the friendly season and he played phenomenally. I mean, we're talking this kid is the future star of the franchise, that's how good he is. Anders Lindberg played solidly and will be our starting striker up front. Martin Johansson was a considerable disappointment, but will start at AMR since Pontus (he's that cool I'm using his first name) is ineligible. Alexander Gerndt is a nice junkball scorer, but not starting material. Hussein Al-Asadi made some good plays, but he's overmatched at this level. Incidentally, he's also ineligible at 15.

Injured Players
GK Oscar Forsstrom (2-4 weeks, could be back for our first non-friendly, the 1st round of the Sweden Cup)
MRC Bjorn Karlsson (4-5 months)
DRLC Simon Lorentzon (4 days-2 weeks)

We transferred out a couple guys who weren't important. I spend the entire month of March trying to hook up transfer deals.

This is how it went.

"Your offer has been accepted! Please be to negotiating contract!"
"Player does not wish to move to Visby, but will quite happily move to some other Second Division team!"

It -really- pissed me off. What the hell do I have to do to get new players on this team?!

Round 1: Swedish Cup
We're the favourites against fellow Second Division team Falu (though they play in a different section than we do). I'm still mad about the transfer situation, so I send my best lineup possible out there. Oh, good news. GK Oscar Fortsstrom is back.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Kacper Derczynski absolutely nails a free kick from 25 yards out to give us a 1-0 lead at the half, even though I stupidly forgot to set my captains, free kick takers, and PK takers before the game. Unfortunately our Polish great is winded at half, so I have to substitute in for him. I also took out Fredrik Larsson after he got an early yellow card. It's my philosophy to avoid a double yellow at all costs.

We're tenative in the early second half, which allows them to even it up at the 53rd minute and I'm getting furious that we're going to blow it, but then Anders Lindberg makes a sensational header up that he chases down and then boots into the goal to put us up 2-1 at the 58th minute. Despite an intense barrage of shots by Falu in the late 70s and early 80s, we play some terrific defense and goalkeeping to keep it 2-1. We get a few chances of our own late in the half as we get our aggressiveness back, but 2-1 is the final scoreline.

The newspapers say we were fortunate to win and some guy on Falu got named Man of the Match, but whatever. We're in the second round and they're not, so they can eat that.

Our first league game comes up next.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Real.

In the filters for searching for players, if you have the little box ticked at the bottom (Assistant manager to filter unrealistic targets or something like that), you will find your choices significantly reduced at smaller clubs.

The reason for this is that the assistant manager filters out those players that he thinks will not join the club anyway. Since you're a little known Swedish side, most players in the game will not consider moving to you and hence he is filtering a lot of them out.

As evidenced by your subsequent post about players not wanting to move, there are 2 issues when it comes to transfers. First, the club needs to be willing to sell to you. Second, the player needs to want to come to the club. The second option is generally fixed only by improving the reputation of your club.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
In the filters for searching for players, if you have the little box ticked at the bottom (Assistant manager to filter unrealistic targets or something like that), you will find your choices significantly reduced at smaller clubs.

The reason for this is that the assistant manager filters out those players that he thinks will not join the club anyway. Since you're a little known Swedish side, most players in the game will not consider moving to you and hence he is filtering a lot of them out.

As evidenced by your subsequent post about players not wanting to move, there are 2 issues when it comes to transfers. First, the club needs to be willing to sell to you. Second, the player needs to want to come to the club. The second option is generally fixed only by improving the reputation of your club.

I figured as much with a lot of the stuff. OTOH, there are teams that have equally poor reputation and equally poor facilities and stadiums, yet they're pulling in transfers. It's damned frustrating, especially since my side's been fairly successful (2nd and 3rd place finishes in years recent to the game's start).

So I'll have to keep puzzling and fighting through it I guess. It's just annoying when I see a team like Topkapi, who is pretty much identical to us, nabbing a couple of transfers when we can't do the same.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I figured as much with a lot of the stuff. OTOH, there are teams that have equally poor reputation and equally poor facilities and stadiums, yet they're pulling in transfers. It's damned frustrating, especially since my side's been fairly successful (2nd and 3rd place finishes in years recent to the game's start).

So I'll have to keep puzzling and fighting through it I guess. It's just annoying when I see a team like Topkapi, who is pretty much identical to us, nabbing a couple of transfers when we can't do the same.

Well, part of it is about recent success but it's also about historic success. For example, even if you took a small Premiership club and won the Premier League, you don't instantly get super recognition from the best players in the world. If you look into the editor, you can probably see what the club's reputation is and you can compare it with Topkapi I guess to see the difference. Also, part of it is about scouting, since the more you scout, the more players you have access to. Plus maybe the AI cheats >.>
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Well, part of it is about recent success but it's also about historic success. For example, even if you took a small Premiership club and won the Premier League, you don't instantly get super recognition from the best players in the world. If you look into the editor, you can probably see what the club's reputation is and you can compare it with Topkapi I guess to see the difference. Also, part of it is about scouting, since the more you scout, the more players you have access to. Plus maybe the AI cheats >.>

Good to know! So there's differences between levels of Obscure eh? Makes sense. Ah well, I'll just play on and hope something crops up.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

League Match: vs. Syrianska (0-0)

Ozcan Melkemichael, Syrianska's manager, brings his trashtalking game, saying they're going to pound us. I respond by pointing out that the confidence in our locker room is really high right now, so he'd best watch out cuz we ain't afraid. Melkemichael then claims that he has no time for mind games and that he just wants to concentrate on getting his side ready. Whatever. Kacper Derczynski and Daniel Soderstrand respond positively to my comments.

We're slight favorites in this game and our 15 year olds are still ineligible. My guess is they have to be 16, so off they go to the reserve squad to get some PT until they're old enough to move up.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

I fixed all my takers and captains, by the way, so we should be good to go now.

Daniel Soderstrand stupidly picks up a yellow card 3 minutes in, so I have to burn a sub right away. We get some nice rebound chances but nobody's there to convert. They put away a rebound in the 28th minute to go up 1-0. Grr. Anders Lindberg gets knocked around the 38th, so we have to use our second sub even before the first half is over.

I use our final sub at halftime and pray for a miracle. It comes at minute #74, when Alexander Gerndt makes a beautiful pass from the far baseline to Emil Nortstrom-Gafvert who absolutely drills it for the equalizer! But then Oscar Forsstrom stupidly comes out and gives them a wide-open shot at the goal in the 82nd minute, which they bury.

L 1-2, 10th place

League Match: vs. Topkapi (0-1-0 Note: I'm using Wins-Losses-Ties instead of the usual football format, because I'm used to that. 9th)

We're big-time favorites in this one and a win here would go a long way to restoring our confidence.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Christian Hederstedt
ST Anders Lindberg

Topkapi presses the hell out of us in the early going, but we hold them off. One of their men gets sent off at the 24th minute, but we can't capitalize the rest of the half, in spite of extremly close free kicks by Kacper Derczynski. I put in a couple subs at halftime to see if they can shake the lethargy off of the team. There's a terrific chance in the 73rd minute when Anders Lindberg blows by everyone and then he flubs the shot.

Unbelievable. A 0-0 draw with a team whose ass we should've kicked. I tear into the boys in the locker room a little bit.

0-0 D, 12th place

Swedish Cup 2nd Round: vs. Brommapojkarna

Somehow we're favoured against a Division 1 side, which I don't get, but okay. I'm tempted to ease up on the throttle in this game, simply because we're dead last in the league which means demotion and me out of job.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Simon Lorenzton
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Emil Nortstrom-Gafvert
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Ah, who the hell am I kidding? I want to win, though I do pull the guys who were yellow-carded in the first round cup match to water the lineup down at least a little bit. From the opening minutes, it's clear they're a higher division side as they quickly go up 1-0. But then Mats Johansson and Anders Lindberg play a little back and forth that was initiated by Emil Nortstrom-Gafvert's brilliant 30 yard pass. Lindberg nails it in the 12th minute and we're all square at 1. Sadly, Norstrom-Gafvert gets pwned right before the half and they net an easy goal to go up 2-1.

They score at the 66th minute and I send in the scrubs. Another goal later and we're done.

1-4 L, Out of Swedish Cup

League Match: At Enskende (0-1-1, 10th place)

Another league match, another manager who talks crap. I tell him he needs to set his goals lower than a promotion push and that he should be looking more at a mid-table position.

Enskende is supposed to clobber us. We'll see.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Daniel Backeus makes a horrible pass and they capitalize to strike first in the 12th minute. Six minutes later, one of their guys does the same thing and Anders Lindberg fakes out the goalie to knot things up at 1. Just before the half ends, Mats Johansson disrupts their midfielder and sends a gorgeous longball to Lindberg that he cooly buries and we're up 2-1 at halftime!

That's the scoreline that holds and we get the major upset! Anders Lindberg also becomes our first Man of the Match in my tenure.

W 2-1, 7th place

Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well done izulde. best of luck!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
well done izulde. best of luck!

Thanks Now I just hope I can keep it going.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

League Match: At Sleipner (2-1-0, 4th place)

We're underdogs in this one too, but that's okay. Odds mean nothing.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

And just like that, we're in the lead inside of two minutes. Jacob Kahn feeds a brilliant ball to Mats Johansson, who slams it home for his first-ever Visby goal. About time he started producing. They tie it in the 38th minute and that's how things stand at the half.

And that's how it ends up, as a sensational long ball by Mats Johansson isn't converted by Anders Lindberg. Robert Nilsson was Man of the Match. Daniel Engstrom, our most reliable defender, is out 4 days to 2 weeks. Not cool.

1-1 D, 8th place

We finally get a transfer in! 16 year old Jacob Johansson, who will come in July, looks like a terrific striker who could spell Anders Lindberg or possibly even replace him. The oft-injured Simon Lorenzton gets hurt yet again, out a week-a month.

League Match: vs. Frej (1-3-0, 12th place)

We need to win this game to stay out of that god-awful relegation zone and keep Frej there. Here's to hoping.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Robert Karlsson
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Kacper Derczynski shakes out of the slump he's in to feed a beautiful couple balls to Anders Lindberg but Bad Anders is in effect and so he fails to capitalize on those golden opportunities. This means a 0-0 draw at halftime.

The second half involves watching Anders Lindberg get chance after chance after chance to score and blowing it each time. Needless to say, I ride his ass a bit after the game. If he even converts one of those chances, we win.

0-0 D, 7th

League Match: At Vasalund/Essinge (3-2-0, 2nd place)

Uh, we're favoured? Um, sure, okay. We'll be lucky to get a draw out of here by my reckoning.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

They score at 4 and again right before the half to put us down 2-0. The team's playing like absolute shit, so I tear into them in the locker room like I've never ripped into them to date.

It's 3-0 before Anders Lindberg scores on a rebound free kick and we have a glimmer of home when Fredrik Larsson gets his first ever goal at the 82nd minute, but alas, we run out of time and drop a 3-2 heartbreaker, made all the worse when versatile sub Christian Hederstedt goes out 4 days-2 weeks with an injury.

Heh, Vasalund's manager talks some smack after the victory. I reply by commenting that they're legitimate promotion contenders, because frankly, they are. That's a very solid squad they've got there.

2-3 L, 9th

We're 1 point off the drop zone and I'm nervous.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

League Match: at Hammarby TTF (4-1-1, 1st place)

Now -this- is amusing. We're 1-33 favourites against the first place team. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Alexander Gerndt (Kacper hasn't been playing the greatest)
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

We get one solid chance all half and can't convert. They score in the 27th minute, right after I put two subs in it and we go into halftime down 1-0. Frankly, we're damned lucky we're only down by that much.

Hammarby tacks on another one in the second as they play absolute shutdown defense.

0-2 L, 11th place

League Match: at Sparvagen (3-2-2, 5th place

Another tough match. We really need to get a win, especially after I was blasted in the papers for losing the last game.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Fredrik Larsson
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Mats Johansson
ST Alexander Gerndt

Fredrik Larsson picks up an early yellow card so I pull him, but the refs are tight-assed this game, so there's two more yellows on our side by the end of the first half. I don't sub in for them, though. Sparvagen is equally nailed, incidentally, but it's all goose eggs at the break.

We get hit with a bullshit yellow on Jacob Kahn immediately after the second half begins and they score, but Kahn comes right back with one of those beautiful, fluke from downtown kinda goals to tie it up. Late in the half, Sparvagen scores again and I'm swearing up a storm, but then Daniel Soderstrand fights his way through traffic to head in a pass from Christian Hederstedt to escape with the draw.

2-2 D, 10th place

League Match: vs. Nykoping (2-4-2, 8th place)

The oddsmakers say we can't win this, but in my estimation this is a very winnable game, one that's critical to get victory in fact.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Emil Nordstrom-Galvert
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

They hit the nets first with a laser beam in the 9th minute, but then Daniel Engstrom shows why he's our top PK man by sinking a penalty in the 30th minute to tie the score. We pressure the dickens out of them, but their goalie is a major ice man and turns back everything we throw at him so we're still even at half.

Midway through the second half, they score and we're getting opportunity after opportunity and not converting. Finally, Daniel Backeus, who played a beautiful game and has quietly become our most consistent midfielder, beelined a pass that Martin Johansson (who've I been mistakenly reporting as Mats kicks in to make it 2-2. There were about three or four chances beyond that where we could've, and probably should've scored, but Anders Lindberg is like ice. He's going to be replaced on a more permanent basis soon. Martin Johansson was Man of the Match.

2-2- D, 9th place

League Match: vs. Sylvia (3-5-1, 7th place)

We should be able to handle them.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Karlsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Emil Nortstrom-Galvert
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Fredrik Larsson
ST Martin Johansson

They put one in early in the game and then snipe us the rest of the half but we hold them to the 1-0 lead going into halftime. Our offense has completely disappeared and I'm openly doubting the team's passion in the lockerroom.

Our offense wakes up, but only a tiny bit and not enough to score. I ream the team after the game. This is getting ridiculous.

0-1 L, 11th place

Martin Johansson, Kacper Dreczynski, and Fredrik Larsson are all called out in the media for complacency and frankly they're right to in the case of our team captain and our Polish man. Larsson really isn't all that good.

So I release statements denouncing Johansson and Dreczynski for their wretched play and I'm pleased to report that the fans back me wholeheartedly in my criticism of those athletes.

Now let's see if that lights a fire under their asses.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

League Match: at Bollstanas (2-5-3, 10th place)

After this game, we'll be at the halfway point. A victory here is so crucial it's unreal. If they get 3 points on us, our struggle to get out of the relegation zone becomes that much harder.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

We get some prime chances thanks to Martin Johansson getting the message and playing extremely well, but Anders Lindberg keeps blowing them. Then he must have sensed that I was going to call him out after the game because he suddenly takes off, executing a perfect fakeout and shooting a beautiful, arcing shot that hits the far post to put us up 1-0 in the 31st minute. He was also the middle-man in a superbly executed Johansson-Lindberg-Kacper Derczynski relay that resulted in Kacper's netting an easy shot for a 2-0 halftime line.

Even though he scored a goal, Derczynski hasn't been playing too hot this game, so he may lose his starting spot to someone. Jacob Kahn has played fantastically this game, clearing out ball after ball and locking down the opposition.

They cut the lead to 2-1 shortly after the second half begins and I'm worried, but Kacper Derczynski plays like a man possessed, bailing us out of sticky situation after sticky situation. Daniel Backeus had a chance to give us an insurance goal, but he shanked an easy shot. Nonetheless, we escape with the crucial victory. Anders Lindberg wins his second Man of the Match award.

2-1 W, 8th place

Midseason Report

Goalies

Oscar Forsstrom
6.64 average rating, 2 clean sheets, 15 goals allowed in 11 league matches. He's not the perfect goalie, but he's been reallly pretty good for this level and I see no reason to make replacing him a priority.

John Wiberg
Looked good in the two friendlies he played in, but I like Forsstrom's skillset a lot better. A capable backup.

Defenders

Daniel Engstrom
The literal heart of the backline and a DC starter, he's got a 6.70 average rating. He plays aggressively though, and is just one yellow card away from getting suspended for a match. Getting better all the time and a definite must keep.

Mats Gutavsson
He may be 16, but he plays like someone a lot older. 6 appearances as a sub, primarily at DM, with a 6.83 rating in those showings. Mats may have earned himself a chance to be a starter, pending how the midfielders look when I review them. A great cornerstone in any case.

Mattias Harring
Started a couple friendlies and subbed in both Swedish cup matches. Appeared as a sub in one league game and has frankly looked mediocre to bad in all showings. He's really gotten lost in the shuffle, which is a shame, as his attributes aren't half-bad.

Jacob Kahn
Originally expected to be a backup, he played like a demon in friendlies and won the starting spot at DL. Since then, he's posted a 6.82 average rating, the best on our entire backline. Our best defender isn't Engstrom, it's Kahn. Just a terrific player to have.

Robert Karlsson
Extensively used sub (5 appearances) and 2 starts in league play, netting him a 6.29 average rating. I've been giving him something of a push lately, but looking at the numbers, it appears he doesn't deserve them.

Simon Lorenzton
The poster child for injuries hasn't appeared in a league game yet, something I need to rectify, just so I can see what he brings to the table, if nothing else.

Robert Nilsson
A 5 rating a few games back put his starting place at DC in trouble, but at 6.70 average rating, he plays better than he appears to, so I'll probably keep him as the starter for the time being.

Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
6.72 average rating makes him one of the stalwarts on the backside, over at DR. I said in my previews that defense would be the strength of our team and the evidence here seems to bear that out.

Midfielders

Daniel Backeus
Splits his time between DM and MC. I'm a little suprised by his 6.55 average rating, as he seems to play a lot better than that, especially lately. I may experiment with replacing him at the DM starting spot in favour of Gustavsson.

Kacper Derczynski
That 6.27 average rating is ugly, simply ugly. He played better after getting called out though, so it's a case of wait and see mode. When he's on, he's really on and when he's off, it's ugly.

Christian Hederstedt
His versatility has been getting him a lot of playing time (1 start, 9 subs), but he hasn't looked too good out there. Occasionally he makes a good play, but overall the feeling is that he's overmatched and the 6.20 average rating bears that out. I'll have to try and diminish his role.

Bjorn Karlsson
Another month or two before he comes back. I'm honestly not sure if he'll even play this season. By the time he's ready, the year could be over with already.

Fredrik Larsson
Maybe I should've called him out. In 9 starts and 2 subs, he's shown a 6.09 average rating. He's fast heading to the doghouse and I don't foresee much of a chance of him getting out at this point.

Emil Nortstrom-Galvert
I've been giving the 19 year old a shot at starting in MC over Larsson lately, and with his 3 starts and 2 subs, he's put up a 6.60 rating. More noticeably, he seems to be improving his play when I watch him on the field. So in other words, he's pretty much become our new starting midfielder until further notice.

Daniel Soderstrand
The most consistent player on the whole team thus far with his 7.00 average rating. It'd take a miracle to knock him out of his MC starting spot and I don't see that one coming at all.

Strikers

Alexander Gerndt
In 2 starts and 5 subs, he's been a major disappointment and not even the junkball scorer he was in the friendly season. 6.14 average rating. Pfeh.

Martin Johansson
Like Derczynksi, his 6.30 average rating is largely a case of his shoddy play for a while, but he played better the last game. Still needs to improve, though, or he'll be on his way out.

Anders Lindberg
6.73 average rating is largely helped by a couple of 9 performances when he really turned it on. Too many missed opportunities and easy chances that could've had us in a lot stronger position, though.

Analysis
Not much is different from before. Our defense is really strong. We've finally settled on two good starters at midfield, though we could use some more depth there. Attacking midfielders and strikers are something we need desparately.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh happy day! It's July 1st, which means not only the start of the new transfer window, but the arrival of Jacob Johansson, who looks like he's good enough to be a starting striker. I may have to make a change in formation to accomodate him and Anders Lindberg.

League Match: at Topkapi (4-3-4, 5th place)

Topkapi's really turned it around, but I think we'll be able to turn them out.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Jacob Johansson

Oscar Fortsstrom makes a brilliant stop versus a 2 on 1 situation that I thought sure was a goal. Our midfielders sleepwalk through the first half and Jacob Johansson screws up a great open look he had.

Anders Lindberg does a similiar miss of an open shot in the second half, but Daniel Engstrom comes through with his second icebeam PK of the season to put us ahead 1-0 and Jacob Kahn seals the deal with his second fluke longball goal of the year. Once more, it was our stalwart backline that saved our butts and go us those important 3 points. Carl-Oscr Sjostrom was Man of the Match after an absolutely sensational clear prevented a surefire goal that would've tied it.

2-0 W, 8th place

Anders Lindberg is out 2 weeks-a month, making the move to pick up Jacob Johansson all the more important.

League Match: vs. Enskende (1-7-4, 12th place)

Their manager tried saying I can't coach worth crap but I pointed out that he's the one in last place with more losses than wins and draws combined. The oddsmakers heavily favour the guys in the drop zone for some reason. Daniel Engstrom and Daniel Backeus are pissed at Enskende's manager and seriously up for this game. Daniel Soderstrand and Kacper Derczynski like my response so much they think we think alike and so really want to stay here, Soderstrand so much that I'm now his favoured personnel. Congratulations, Soderstrand. You just earned yourself a lifetime stay with this team.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Jacob Johansson

I'm sorry to say that Jacob Johansson is no Pontus Ivarsson. He acts more like a midfielder than a striker and is way off target on every shot who tries. Meanwhile, they score on a fluke goal to be ahead 1-0 at halftime. JJ sits the second half and I chew Kacper Derczynski out a bit for slagging off in the first 45.

Nobody can do anything in the second half and we lose 1-0. I ride the team somewhat after the game. No way we should lose to a bottom-feeder like this.

0-1 L, 10th place

League Match: at Syrianska (6-2-5, 3rd place)

Given that we're 4 points ahead of relegation, we're still safe even if we lose, but any kind of points here, even a draw, would be extremely helpful.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Christian Hederstedt
ST Martin Johansson

They get about five or six terrific shots but we get away with only allowing one goal. We have two solid chances but Martin Johansson naturally can't sink either one, so we're down 1-0 at the half and are still searching for a striker.

Jacob Johansson gets his first goal in a Visby uniform in the second half on an interception of a goalie's ball and Daniel Soderstrand -just- misses on a skimmer, but they have an assassin striker named Inago who puts in two goals and we fall.

3-1 L, 10th place

League Match: vs. Sleipner (7-5-2, 4th place)

A victory is sorely needed here. We're only 1 point out of the drop zone.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Christian Hederstedt
ST Martin Johansson

Our opponents have a dazzling goalie who robs us of a surefire goal, but even he can't stop Daniel "Iceman" Engstrom from scoring on a penalty kick that proves the difference in a 1-0 halftime line.

I swear when they score shortly after the start of the half, but then midway through the second Alexander Gerndt kicks it into high gear, racing past the backline and sending a gorgeous pass to Jacob Johansson, who shoots a low screamer that hits home for the 2-1 lead. Then, near the end of the game, the defense gets timid and the fucking bastards tie it, so we draw 2-2 in a game we should've won.

2-2 D, 10th place

We close the transfer window with nobody else coming in.

15 games done, 7 more to go. We're 2 points ahead of the drop zone.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

League Match: at Frej (6-8-1, 7th place)

These guys have really turned it around after a slow start and have close to a .500 record. I'm not looking forward to this one.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Mats Gustavsson
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Christian Hederstedt
ST Martin Johansson

We don't get a single sniff the whole first half and they score twice, the last on a PK right before the half. I'm pissed and I start screaming at people.

In the second half, we only allow one goal, but again don't get a shot. I tell the team what a disappointing performance it was.

0-3 L, 10th place.

Jacob Kahn picked up a yellow card and so he's suspended for our next match. As if that wasn't bad enough, Jacob Johansson gets hurt during practice and is out 2-4 weeks.

League Match: vs. Hammarby (11-2-3, 1st place)

Snort. We're 1-33 favourites. Uhh yeah.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Daniel Engstrom
DC Mats Gustavsson
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Fredrik Larsson
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

I'm ecstatic when their defender makes a soft header back to the goalie that Anders Lindberg beats to punch in from 25 yards out, but then they score immediately after and again later in the half to go up 2-1. On top of it, Lindberg's hurt. So I switch to an attacking style and pray we get the goal we need. If we can just salvage a tie out of this, we'll stay above the drop no matter what the teams below us do.

Fucking UGH!!!!!! We get 3 chances and Alexander Gerndt blows every god damn fucking last one of them. Not to mention which, we play with 10 guys for the closing minutes when Daniel Soderstrand gets hurt and we've no subs left because of all the other walking wounded we've had.

2-1 L, 10th place

League Match: Vasalund/Essinge (2nd place)

We're favoured in this, too. Uh huh, sure.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Daniel Backeus
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Our offense takes off when Daniel Engstrom sinks a PK whose penalty sent a man off and Kacper Derczynski decides to show up today when he makes a lovely cross that Anders Lindberg puts in before heading off hurt a few minutes later. That's two goals in 10 minutes, incidentally and that's enough to keep us at 2-0 despite heavy pressure from the men in the red who fight valiantly, shorthanded though they are.

I switch to a defensive style for the second half and though both teams have a couple great chances, neither one converts and we pick up the vital 3 point breathing room. Oscar Fortsstrom picks up his fourth clean sheet and first Man of the Match award.

2-0 W, 10th place

Before our next game, I get a contract extension offer from Visby for 3 years, $8,000 a year. That's $2,000 a year less than what I make on the $10,000 one year contract I have right now, but Visby says it can't budge, nor can it let me keep the $5,000 transfer fund I have now. Still, it's job security, so even though they say they can't give me $10,000 a year when I ask for it, I sign on the dotted line.

The board of directors is thrilled that I'm staying with the club and Oscar Fortsstrom praises me to the media because he's so happy that I'm staying. And I'm not even his favoured personnel. Nice!

League Match: at Nykoping (9th place)

A win here would be awesome, because we'd not only go ahead of Nykoping, but we'd get of drop zone danger, as we're only 1 point out despite our impressive last victory.

Starting Lineup
GK Oscar Fortsstrom
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Mats Gustavsson
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

They score inside of 3 minutes. Anders Lindberg gets a beautiful opportunity, but their goalie turns it back and a couple minutes Lindberg has to leave the game AGAIN! Emil Nortstrom-Galvert has the perfect chance right before halftime to tie it, but he blows the shot. Sigh.

We get five or six chances in the second half but their goalie is just sick and stops everything we throw at him. It doesn't help when we're again down to 10 men after Kacper Derczynski gets knocked out in the waning minutes.

0-1 L, 10th place

Carl-Oscr Sjostrom got a yellow and he's out next match. Kacper Derczynski is out of comission 5 days-2 weeks.

3 games left. We're ahead of the drop zone by a single point. The run may be over at one.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

I can't wait anymore. I -have- to know if I made it or not.

League Match: vs. Sparvagen (8th place)

As if things weren't bad enough, Oscar Forsstrom goes down the rest of the year with a back injury. The road to safety just got that much tougher.

Starting Lineup
GK Johan Wiberg
DL Daniel Engstrom
DC Mats Gustavsson
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Daniel Backeus
DM Mats Gustavsson
MC Daniel Soderstrand
AML Fredrik Larsson
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Johan Wiberg hangs on to the ball way too long and they score early on, then throw in another just before halftime. Our defense is trying to do everything it can to bail this dumbass out but it's just not working, especially since we can't mount anything on the other side.

We get all of two chances in the second half, but only capitalize on one, a beautiful Daniel Soderstrand-Jacob Kahn-Mats Gustavsson move that our defensive midfielder heads in to cut it to 2-1 in the 83rd minute.

1-2 L, 10th place

Okay I'm not sure how this promotion thing works. It says the top 4 teams in each division advance to the Swedish 1st Division, but the only playable league is the 1st Division Elite which has 16 teams.

Does that mean if your team gets promoted, you can't play them anymore because the regular First Division isn't playable?

League Match: at Sylvia (3rd place)

While I'm trying to figure out just what the heck is up with the Swedish promotion, Daniel Soderstrand rallies the troops in the newspaper, calling on the guys to beat this team and stay above the drop zone.

I really like this guy. Very cool to see a story like this. Daniel Backeus, Daniel Engstrom, Anders Lindberg and Kacper Derczynski all respond positively to the challenge.

Starting Lineup
GK Johan Wiberg
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Mats Gustavsson
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Daniel Backeus
AML Kacper Derczynski
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

It's a quiet first half, with the difference maker Daniel Engstrom's 5th goal of the year, naturally coming on a PK. Kacper Derczynski runs himself ragged and gets hit besides, putting him at 19% health at halftime.

But then we're snakebit in the second. They score two minutes after the half begins, Daniel Engstrom MISSES a penalty kick, as well as another close chance. Anders Lindberg beats the goalie on a bad ball and misses from long range when he's normally automatic. Sylvia scores towards the end of the game and we drop a heartbreaker when we can least afford it.

1-2 L, 11th place

League Match: vs Bollastanis (12th place)

We must win. We must win and Enskende must not win. That is the only way we avoid relegation and we have to do it against the team that's already demoted. Daniel Soderstrand rallies the troops again. Let's hope they're listening.

[b]Starting Lineup
GK Johan Wiberg
DL Jacob Kahn
DC Daniel Engstrom
DC Robert Nilsson
DR Carl-Oscr Sjostrom
DM Mats Gustavsson
MC Daniel Soderstrand
MC Daniel Backeus
AML Alexander Gerndt
AMR Martin Johansson
ST Anders Lindberg

Their goalie plays like man possessed and denies us surefire goals to keep it all blank in the first. We -must- win. Attack attack attack!

Two chances we had, maybe three. The fucking dickhead cocksucker bitch ass goalie on steroids blocks them all.

D 0-0 RELEGATED

And it figures that as I'm putzing around in the offseason, I land Abderrahman Kabous, a 22 year old AMC that has wicked, wicked skills and would be a prime piece in my re-tooling the team.

Anders Lindberg is the Visby Player of the Year.

I get sacked some months after I transfer list all my top players to try and get them when I get a new job.

Christian Ronaldo goes from Manchester U to Chelsea for $98 million transfer fee. Just thought you guys might want to know that.

Despite my umpteen applications, nobody's hired me as March 23rd.