Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

1978 Players of the Near Future

We haven't really had a regular article look at the top candidates to really break out in their first seasons next year, like you will generally see in real life. Here is the first look at the potential rookie stars of 1978 currently peppering the minor leagues. No players who ever graced a major league roster have been included.

Hitters (listed alphabetically)

RF Ronald Allen (HAR)-- Allen, like many Pooner prospects, has it tough--there are already a ton of very good prospects ahead of him, and even if there weren't he would have to fight for playing time with two others on this list in Anderson and Shimizu. If he gets a chance, Allen can win batting titles and hit with a little pop. He's also a plus-plus defender.

RF Sandy Anderson (HAR)-- Anderson got the nod over Allen in RF with Hartford's AAA squad, so he may have the inside track on perhaps one spot on next year's Harpooner squad. He has similar ability as Allen with a bat, but a bit more plate discipline. His defense is also very good, and unlike Allen, speed is a major part of Anderson's game.

RF Hector Aragon (CPT)-- Compton has a future middle of the order star in Aragon, who can already drive with power at the major league level. He still needs to get better with making contact, but he has the talent to do it. He might already be better than Jay Schultz, the Brothas' starting RF, and Schultz has three straight 30+ HR seasons.

RF Jud Benson (TEX)-- Benson has explosive power, but needs to be better making contact. But there's no doubt he has the ability to man the middle of the order for Texas. Jaimes, TEX's starting RF, showed some nice power, but Benson is already clearly the better player.

C Yun-ho Chong (BKN)-- Chong can do pretty much everything competently, and with plus power. He even has some speed, and he's an absolute monster behind the plate. The problem? BKN has no less than three starting level catchers on contract for next year in well-traveled vets Stanford Jones and Alfredo Alvarado and another highly touted prospect in Matthias Fontaine.

LF Ken Kelley (CLB)-- Kelley could be an instant homerun champ threat with his power. He also has the speed and defensive ability of a Rich Lang. With Wagner in a contract year, Kelley could slide over to CF, with Jose Isla blocking him in left. He's just as good in center.

RF Yeow-Whye Liao (BAL)-- Liao is a five tool future superstarm and he may be just about ready to move on to Baltimore. Neither Wagner staying or Valdez being around would keep a guy like this from the bigs. Liao has rare ability with the bat, blazing speed and solid defense.

CF Elvis Malone (ATL)-- With Malone's ability to make contact--an almost elite skill--and nearly as comparable at driving the ball for extra bases, he should make an instant impact and be a competent replacement for Edgardo Reyes. He is a top notch defender and also has plus speed and more power than your usual speedy CF.

1B Ramon Pacheco (NOL)-- Pacheco has a world of talent, and is an excellent 1B. But he may not quite be ready to make the jump next year. Not the Wrens care--masher Noriaki Shimada is doing just fine in the Big Easy.

1B Ezekiela Pila (NYH)-- Pila is a deluxe power hitter with decent contact and plate discipline. He plays a relatively common talent position, is not particular strong at his position and Tommy Lasorda could beat him out to 1B--but he's a plus addition to any lineup. His main problem is the logjam imposed by the presence of current young star in the making Todd Conway, already in New York.

3B Javier Rodriguez (ATL)-- Rodriguez has good power, can make contact and really doesn't have any major holes in his game other than his questionable baserunning skills. He can also play all four infield spots competently, with Gold Glove potential at first. A natural 3B, Rodriguez will have to compete with Bartolo Guzman and Mike McIntosh on the big squad, but he has more power than either of them.

LF Akihiro Shimizu (HAR)-- If Hartford moves Baker, Shimizu might get his chance. He can blast the ball and hit for line drives. He can draw walks. He's also fast if undisciplined on the basepaths, and he's a good defender at either corner spot. Of course, if Baker is still in Hartford come April, Shimizu faces the same obstacle as fellow prospects Allen and Anderson.

LF David Valdez (BAL)-- Valdez is a similar player to Hartford's Allen and Anderson. He can work magic with the bat, and hit for line drives as well. He has top level speed and defensive ability. He's behind Mauro Suarez with the old but new Gothams, but Suarez's large contract and underachieving stats in comparison to his ability may lead him to be moved and open up a spot for Valdez.

Pitchers still to come.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
muns
Pro Starter

Awesome article Chief..... Thanks for taking the time to do it.... Gives me guys to go take a peek at trade wise now
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is great. We're getting ready to experience a major shift in the names we're used to seeing, as FOOL's first generation now comes to an end...it'll be fun to get used to some newer names.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Awesome article Chief..... Thanks for taking the time to do it.... Gives me guys to go take a peek at trade wise now

Pila for sure is trade bait.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

great article, thanks!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
LF David Valdez (BAL)-- Valdez is a similar player to Hartford's Allen and Anderson. He can work magic with the bat, and hit for line drives as well. He has top level speed and defensive ability. He's behind Mauro Suarez with the old but new Gothams, but Suarez's large contract and underachieving stats in comparison to his ability may lead him to be moved and open up a spot for Valdez.

Pitchers still to come.

Valdez will not be a starter I am afraid for the Gothams.
With an outfield of Sanchez, Ewing and Liao, plus the vet Suarez, there just is no room...
I disagree with him on this list though. I just can't put a guy with 6 power on this list. I think Markus Marshall, Sergio Venegras and Leonard Pierce on the Gothams alone, are ahead of him on the depth charts. All very simular players.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 10-01-2008 at 10:20 AM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Anthony
Banned

i have OF Joe Smith in my lineup, who has less than 10 for power. there's nothing wrong with not being able to not hit a HR as long as the other things you can do overshadow that. having 100 contact, 100 glove, 100 speed and 100 stealing means Smith can contribute in other ways than hitting them over the wall.

ultimately Smith may not have the eye to have an illustrious career in FOOL, strikes out too much and doesn't walk a ton, but whenever i see a current rating of 100 contact and 100 speed i start to piddle in my pants. literally.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote