Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #551
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I mean the closest thing we've had is Mookie Betts to LA. And Soto has 2 1/3 years left vs 1, but Boston got back Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs and Connor Wong (plus salary relief in forcing them to take David Price). Yes it's insane it got to this point this quickly, and even crazier for a fairly big market team like Washington to decide there's no way they can compete within the next 3 seasons so they have to go full teardown, but for the deal itself you guys are lucky there's an AJ Preller out there willing to go all in like this.

Crazy to think just a few years ago the Nationals had Soto, Harper, Rendon, Turner, and Scherzer. What a tremendous fall.

Cubs botched the trade deadline which sucks.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:30 PM   #552
MrBug708
Head Coach

The voice of baseball, Vin Scully, has passed away.

His Final Send Off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxRpKiNswM

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-02-2022 at 11:58 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #553
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:18 PM   #554
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets won the Diaz trade...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #555
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Mets won the Diaz trade...

I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago. Completely improbable and didn't go the way anyone expected, but outside of paying Cano a shitload of money to do nothing the Mets easily won the trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #556
Atocep
Coordinator

For 5 1/3 innings today Jacob DeGrom was the best pitcher I've ever seen. The Braves didn't make contact with a slider until the 20th they swung at.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-07-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #557
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
For 5 1/3 innings today Jacob DeGrom was the best pitcher I've ever seen. The Braves didn't make contact with a slider until the 20th they swung at.

He is unreal. It is a shame that what makes him so good also makes him so injury prone.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:48 PM   #558
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If both look like they did this weekend, Dodgers vs Mets could be a dandy NLCS
Old 08-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #559
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And Chris Sale taking a comebacker off the pinky and likely out till 2023.

Other than that, how was your weekend Mrs Lincoln/Mr.Fozzie?

If he wasn't before he is now.

Boston Red Sox P Chris Sale suffers broken wrist in bike accident, out remainder of season
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:44 AM   #560
molson
General Manager

$90 million, 11 stars, 0 vaccines.

I'd say his most notable accomplishment in those three years is trashing that minor league clubhouse.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #561
bronconick
College Starter

Tigers finally can GM Al Avila
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #562
JPhillips
General Manager

Wow. Tatis Jr. has been suspended for 80 games for PEDs.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #563
tarcone
Coordinator

HAHA on Tatis. Steroids does make you heal faster.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:07 PM   #564
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Who in this thread predicted that Joey Gallo was going to get the MVP this year? That seems pretty far in the rear view mirror.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:17 PM   #565
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Up by 10 going to the bottom of the 9th, the Dodgers have brought Hanser Alberto on to finish the game. (He actually got out of the inning scoreless)

Baseball is so fucking broken.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #566
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Who in this thread predicted that Joey Gallo was going to get the MVP this year? That seems pretty far in the rear view mirror.

No one ever predicted that. I said 80-1 was good value.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

No one ever predicted that. I said 80-1 was good value.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #568
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had no idea Chris Woodward was a manager. I just remember him as a nondescript utility infielder.

If he wasn't already referred to as a poor man's Craig Counsel, he definitely should be now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:07 PM   #569
JPhillips
General Manager

The fifth most valuable position player by bWAR on the Reds current payroll is Ken Giffey Jr. at 0.0
Old 08-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #570
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BREAKING: Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna arrested on DUI charge in Gwinnett

Might be a bad career move for a guy who has had questionable value for the past two seasons AND already has a history of legal issues.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #571
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
BREAKING: Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna arrested on DUI charge in Gwinnett

Might be a bad career move for a guy who has had questionable value for the past two seasons AND already has a history of legal issues.

I just saw the police cam video. He handed the officer his drivers license and his MLB ID. He tried the ole "do you know who I am?"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-19-2022 at 06:26 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Suddenly Pujols has a shot at 700. Needs 8 more

Last edited by stevew : 08-21-2022 at 11:26 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #573
tarcone
Coordinator

That Cardinals game had everything last night is was really fun to listen to it.

Pujols is on fire right now. I now believe he gets to 700.

I also believe in fairy tale endings and the Cardinals will win the WS and 3 iconic Cardinals will retire together.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #574
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Braves radio announcer Ben Ingram with a 10/10 troll of Marcel Ozuna

https://twitter.com/gifs_baseball/st...27264524410887
Old 08-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #575
tarcone
Coordinator

Albert leads the majors in OPS since July 4.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #576
Swaggs
Coordinator

Fun fact on the Pirates. They have three rookies that have hit 10 or more (but not really, because they have all three hit 10) home runs this season in Oneil Cruz, Jack Suwinski, and Diego Castillo. That is the first time they have had ever had three rookies hit 10 or more in a season in their 140-year history. Interestingly, Cruz is the only one that is still in the majors and none are home grown. Cruz came from the Dodgers, Suwinski the Padres, and Castillo the Yankees.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #577
JPhillips
General Manager

It's August 23rd and the current HR leader for active Reds players is J. India with 8.

They got a lot of talent at the deadline, but with trades, injuries, and innings caps, they have the least talented roster in MLB.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #578
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's August 23rd and the current HR leader for active Reds players is J. India with 8.

They got a lot of talent at the deadline, but with trades, injuries, and innings caps, they have the least talented roster in MLB.

If they activate Giffey now he could probably lead the team by the end of the season.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #579
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Fun fact on the Pirates. They have three rookies that have hit 10 or more (but not really, because they have all three hit 10) home runs this season in Oneil Cruz, Jack Suwinski, and Diego Castillo. That is the first time they have had ever had three rookies hit 10 or more in a season in their 140-year history. Interestingly, Cruz is the only one that is still in the majors and none are home grown. Cruz came from the Dodgers, Suwinski the Padres, and Castillo the Yankees.

I assume they’ll bring Suwinski up again once they feel like he can’t be super two. He deserved to be sent down for a few weeks, but he shouldn’t be losing at bats to the collection of slop they’re playing(Allen, Madris, Mitchell, even Gamel)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #580
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Do you think we can pool our money and buy the Angels?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #581
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Kind of curious to see how they turn out. Feels like Suwinski and Cruz strike out a ton and need to get that under control. But they're both still young.

Still not really sure what their plan is as an organization. Have a couple good players and then trade them away for more prospects? At some point you have to sign some guys.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #582
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There’s no plan, the Pirates are just a hedge fund
Old 08-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #583
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I assume they’ll bring Suwinski up again once they feel like he can’t be super two. He deserved to be sent down for a few weeks, but he shouldn’t be losing at bats to the collection of slop they’re playing(Allen, Madris, Mitchell, even Gamel)

I think he'll be back this season, but I don't think his demotion was related to super two - he had been in a horrendous slump and was having terrible at bats. Something like 4 for his last 40.

I think Mitchell is worth looking at and Gamel is, at least, a competent major league player (of which the Pirates have very few). Gamel should be a 4/5th outfielder though. I don't know why they have been fooling around with Allen, Marisnick, and Alford this season. Madris is at least young enough and had a decent enough track record that it was worth seeing if they had anything there, but he's had 100+ ABs and isn't hitting .200.

I'm not even sure how one would go about fixing it, but the Pirates are on about their 6th GM in a row that doesn't seem to be able to develop any talent once it is identified and acquired. Even when they had their little run, other than Cutch, Marte, and Cole, guys underachieved and their better players came from outside their system (and really Cole and Marte have been much better since leaving). Meanwhile, teams like the Cardinals, Dodgers, Yankees and the Braves can't seem to miss on developing players. It's sad going down the list of can't miss prospects from the Pirates that have missed.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #584
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Kind of curious to see how they turn out. Feels like Suwinski and Cruz strike out a ton and need to get that under control. But they're both still young.

Still not really sure what their plan is as an organization. Have a couple good players and then trade them away for more prospects? At some point you have to sign some guys.

I think you are spot on with those two. Poor strike zone control.

Cruz seems like he's going to be one of those guys that has good enough numbers, but thus far, he seems to have horrible ABs when the game is on the line or runners are in scoring position. I may be wrong, but in the games I have watched he seems to hit homers once the Pirates are either way down or way up.

I don't know that Suwinski will ever be an all star, but I think he can be a competent starter and occasionally hit 30 homers if given full season. I suspect he will have one or two decent years and then be too expensive to get any kind of extension.

I think Cherington has done a good job of acquiring talent for the most part, but there was really no need to trade Josh Bell two years ago. They didn't receive a whole lot for him and he's still 'only' making $10M a year. He was a homegrown guy that fans loved and the Pirates have been trotting out crap at 1B/DH since he left. They paid Yoshi Tsutsugo $4M this year to give them 170 ABs with a -1.7 WAR. It will be interesting to see if they step up to the table and sign Bryan Reynolds to something long-term.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Josh Bell trade still pisses me off. We got Crowe who was/is ok and some minor league pitcher who is horrid. And they did it on Christmas Eve. I don’t exactly see a lot of hope coming through the system. Davis and Gonzales could be good, and Endy Rodriguez could also be a plus bat catcher that keeps Davis healthy and moves him to first. A ton of their guys are just having bad bad seasons this year. I do think Priester would be our best starter already probably. Should hopefully be up in next June
Old 08-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I may be wrong, but in the games I have watched he seems to hit homers once the Pirates are either way down or way up.

I hadn't a clue whether you were right or wrong, but this was one of those things that made me curious enough to check baseball-reference for his splits

10 HR so far this year (5 of 10 vs Milwaukee btw)
2 Low Leverage
5 Medium Leverage
3 High Leverage

All 10 have come in games with a margin of 3 runs or less
3 when ahead, 3 when tied, 4 when behind
Old 08-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #587
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I wouldn't credit the Dodgers for Cruz, he was traded away in 2017, when he was 18
Old 08-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #588
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Albert leads the majors in OPS since July 4.

When do you think MLB started juicing the balls for him? (And I am all for it)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #589
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2023 schedule is out and I’m loving that there’s way more inter league games. Everyone plays everyone every year, alternating sites.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #590
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
2023 schedule is out and I’m loving that there’s way more inter league games. Everyone plays everyone every year, alternating sites.

you have got to be fucking kidding me
Old 08-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #591
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Down from 19 games vs Divisional Rivals to 13 is good.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #592
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mariners giving Julio a bag. 14 years, potentially upwards of 400 million.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #593
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious how this deal is structured. Because 14 years and 400M seems really crazy money that's basically "market value" if he's a superstar. Like he might get 5/$60-$80 if he's super elite the next 5 years. Which means this is potentially an 9/$300M - basically $35M per year - for a player with less than a year in the majors. And, of course, there's no guarantee he's going to be a superstar.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-26-2022 at 01:01 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #594
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's a shocking length and amount. On the surface it looks like a horrible business decision. If he gets this isn't Otahno worth so. Much. More.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #595
Ksyrup

It's 14 years $210M is what is being reported and can go up to $400M+. I assume escalators kick in as he solidifies superstar status.

On the surface it's in the ballpark with the recent Braves extensions, only this includes escalators and is longer in length.

We'll have to see what the details are.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #596
Ksyrup

If he's good enough to "max out" this contract, it will no longer be the largest by that point.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:15 PM   #597
Ksyrup

8 years, $120M base, player option after the base would take it to 13 years, $210M. Team has options for either 8 or 10 years after the base that could take it to $470M.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
8 years, $120M base, player option after the base would take it to 13 years, $210M. Team has options for either 8 or 10 years after the base that could take it to $470M.

That's a fascinating contract. 8/120 is a fine gamble on him. The player or team option part is really interesting. If he "sucks", he goes 5/$90 beyond that. If he's good, team pays him 8-10/200-350 more based on MVP voting.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #599
Ksyrup

That's why this is being reported as a $210M deal assuming he would exercise the option if he doesn't pan out. But 13/$210 isn't all that different from some of the Braves' recent deals and it's spread out over more years. And if the team exercises, it basically becomes his second FA deal that nets him a hefty amount as well, although by then $20-30M may be peanuts. But he's getting way more now, and then some of he flops.

Seems (?) like a decent gamble for both sides?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #600
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think if he has a CEI tomorrow it’s still more value than the mariners got from that Evan White pre-arb extension