Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Inflation 2022 & 2023 discussion

Stuff that I've noticed ...

Reg gas ranges from $4 to $4.10, up from $3.20'ish. Not too price sensitive as I work from home and wife only has a short drive to school.

Seems the fast food joints' specials have gone up $1 to $2.

My favorite Vietnamese pho place is $14 up from $12. Sushi chirashi that was once about $18-$19 are about $22.

Toyota Corolla barebones is $1,000 above MSRP (when got daughter a Corolla 3 years ago, bought it for about $2,500 under MSRP).

Checked Zillow today and house price has increased again. It feels its increasing at a faster clip in past 3-4 months than last year. I know to take it with a grain of salt but it is indicative of upward swing.

Biggest impact to us is not so much the day-to-day but the angst its causing in the markets and impact to our portfolio.

Increasing rates should theoretically tame inflation. But Powell was wrong before on "transitory" inflation so I'm not having a lot of confidence that he'll get the "pace" of rate increase right. We also have Ukraine war hurt oil prices. And of course, Covid which is adversely impacting the supply chain (especially the stuff from China).

Basically prices will continue upward in the short term (6 months). Below pundit says this will cause a recession. I think I'm okay with that. Better recession than the 80's inflation.

U.S. economy will fall into a recession this summer, as inflation eats into consumer spending, former Fed official warns - MarketWatch
Quote:
Higher inflation will force consumers to limit their spending by so much that the economy will slump into a recession by the July-September quarter, former Federal Reserve Governor Lawrence Lindsey said on Monday.

“I do think we’re going to have a recession, probably in the next quarter,” Lindsey said, in an interview on CNBC.

“Inflation is eating into consumer spending power, they’re going to have to cut back,” he said.

The former Fed governor also said the U.S. central bank was “nowhere close” on being able to control inflation.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-26-2023 at 08:28 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

I do wonder if not passing the BBB was a good thing all things considered. The recent bipartisan additional $10B covid bill looks like the model to get things done. Not a big bang but split it out into smaller bills.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That bipartisan bill is suddenly not so bipartisan. The GOP is not anything like that through till they get their pound of crazy in it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

In 1996, a couple of years after moving out west and just having gotten married, I bought a small (1,580 sqft.) home in Redmond, Washington for $185k. A tri-level, no basement, laundry at the back of what was strangely a three-car garage. From the street, it looked like a gigantic garage defending a bungalow.

The neighborhood was only a few years old and had dozens of near-identical homes. I think there were two basic styles - a tri-level and a two-story square - and people could choose two- or three-car garages in front, one of a few basic trim colors that carried over to countertops and carpeting, and there was a skylight package.

The population was exploding around Microsoft and the other Seattle Eastside tech companies. I remember how hard it was to find anything and being a bit disappointed in the quality of the house, but it was nice to join what we call the rat race.

We sold the house in 2001 for a nice profit. From time to time, I look at estimates of what that house is worth.

But getting to the point of this item - inflation and other pressures on the economy are changing housing in many ways. Much of this is the realization that small single-family homes in growing areas are a wonderful opportunity at a corporate level.

All of a sudden that house (and everything else in the neighborhood) is valued at $1.1 million on Zillow - about a $500k increase in the last two years. There's no way it was possible given life, but it's a shame I couldn't have found a way to keep it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

Just checked on my first house I bought in 2010 - 768 square feet near downtown Boise. $87,000. Zillow has it at $428k now. That's inflation, but also Boise becoming one of the hottest real estate markets in the country in the interim. I don't feel bad about selling it though. I bought a new house 5 years ago for under $200k that has had a similar increase on Zillow. My mortgage payment is still under $1,000, when that wouldn't get you a studio apartment here anymore.

I remember some housing v. renting debates, including here. At least in my town, I was lucky to be right. I know quite a few people who stuck with renting who have had to move. Rents are going up 2X and 3X overnight, or on lease renewal. I would have had to have figured out something myself. Timing and luck are everything.

Edit: There are many other consequences to this besides renters being screwed. It is really hard to hire new people for open professional positions. A place like Boise has always relied on hiring a lot of tech and white collar workers from out of state, who were drawn here by the lower cost of living. The salaries haven't increased much, but the cost of living has gone completely bonkers. People still assume that they can come to Boise and get a big house and a yard for cheap, and when they figure out that's no longer the case, there's much less reason to move here.

Last edited by molson : 04-05-2022 at 04:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
In 1996, a couple of years after moving out west and just having gotten married, I bought a small (1,580 sqft.) home in Redmond, Washington for $185k. A tri-level, no basement, laundry at the back of what was strangely a three-car garage. From the street, it looked like a gigantic garage defending a bungalow.

The neighborhood was only a few years old and had dozens of near-identical homes. I think there were two basic styles - a tri-level and a two-story square - and people could choose two- or three-car garages in front, one of a few basic trim colors that carried over to countertops and carpeting, and there was a skylight package.

The population was exploding around Microsoft and the other Seattle Eastside tech companies. I remember how hard it was to find anything and being a bit disappointed in the quality of the house, but it was nice to join what we call the rat race.

We sold the house in 2001 for a nice profit. From time to time, I look at estimates of what that house is worth.

But getting to the point of this item - inflation and other pressures on the economy are changing housing in many ways. Much of this is the realization that small single-family homes in growing areas are a wonderful opportunity at a corporate level.

All of a sudden that house (and everything else in the neighborhood) is valued at $1.1 million on Zillow - about a $500k increase in the last two years. There's no way it was possible given life, but it's a shame I couldn't have found a way to keep it.

When we moved to Seattle we bought a condo in Ballard. We eventually moved to Ohio and sold it so we could put 20% down on our house there. Not finding a way to make that work so we could keep the condo is the biggest financial regret of my life.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-05-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

The effects of inflation are intensely personal, on a political level, and more emotional than practical. We respond to gas prices because by law they are advertised on gigantic signs. OMG it was 2.89 just a while ago, now it's 3.89 OM what are we to do? Cancel the trip to see grandmother!?!?!

Reality is: that 400m trip to grandmother in your avg car costs you 15 gallons of gas. You're going to cancel on grandma for $15? Really? ( I mean, I get there are people for whom $15 is a major matter, but it's not most of the people answering polls)

The major disconnect is that the economy is adding jobs (even if most Americans disagree with this unimpeachable fact), and that creates upward wage pressure overall..but if my wage has not increased, then I'm having more trouble paying for gas and whatnot than a year ago, so this sucks. Imperfect system.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #8
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The major disconnect is that the economy is adding jobs (even if most Americans disagree with this unimpeachable fact), and that creates upward wage pressure overall..but if my wage has not increased, then I'm having more trouble paying for gas and whatnot than a year ago, so this sucks. Imperfect system.

That feels very partisan to me.

The economy is absolutely adding jobs at an incredible pace, but... numbers are still below the February 2020 peak. Getting much closer, though. We'll see if this becomes a recovery or if inflation drops demand enough to send us toward recession. I don't think we know yet.

I don't know where this gas price is the only thing comes from. Your example, yes, of course it's silly to cancel a trip over $15 in gas. But the inflation comes from energy costs, from the grocery store (smaller portions, higher prices) and it's showing no sign of letting up. If you're closer to the poverty line, this is a huge issue.

The price of gas is only one part, but it is an important one not just because of your own gas tank, but the cost to transport everything and the costs associated with housing and selling. Ultimately, manufacturing as well, since almost all plastics are oil or natural gas based and steel and cement require massive amounts of energy to make.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #9
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I feel we're getting hammered from every direction though, it's not just gas. I was looking at buying a new amp for my music room. The amp that was selling for $1,499 last spring is now $1,999. Well then I go to the grocery store and everything is either much more expensive than it was last year, or in smaller packaging. I go to fill up the car after being told to start coming back to the office, and that's more too. And I'm supposed to feel grateful because I got a small raise at work, but it doesn't even match all the cost increases that I have to deal with.
And then forget about buying a house! I'm fine because I only have 5 years left on my mortgage, but what the hell are our kids going to do?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #10
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
That feels very partisan to me.

The economy is absolutely adding jobs at an incredible pace, but... numbers are still below the February 2020 peak. Getting much closer, though. We'll see if this becomes a recovery or if inflation drops demand enough to send us toward recession. I don't think we know yet.

I don't know where this gas price is the only thing comes from. Your example, yes, of course it's silly to cancel a trip over $15 in gas. But the inflation comes from energy costs, from the grocery store (smaller portions, higher prices) and it's showing no sign of letting up. If you're closer to the poverty line, this is a huge issue.

The price of gas is only one part, but it is an important one not just because of your own gas tank, but the cost to transport everything and the costs associated with housing and selling. Ultimately, manufacturing as well, since almost all plastics are oil or natural gas based and steel and cement require massive amounts of energy to make.

I work in a manufacturing business, and our pricing for any raw materials is dramatically higher than a year ago. Transportation is also much higher. So yes, pricing to the end users is also going to increase.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:42 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW we went to Costco tonight. Also filled up with Costco Premium at $3.90 which is lower than what I saw unleaded at Shell for about $4 this past weekend. Unsure what the Shell premium was but assume about $4.50+. So this is a pretty big delta.

Kinda weird but not complaining, guess gas prices haven't quite found "equilibrium" yet. Unfortunately we go to Costco about once a month. If they were just closer it would be perfect.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #12
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Jimmy Carter's legacy of 14% inflation might not be within range, but Kiplinger thinks it might top out at about 10%.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Gas has gone slightly down for me. I filled up yesterday and it was $3.99/gal. That's down from my previous fill up which was $4.10/gal.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
lungs
Pro Rookie

My last fill was $1.82/gallon. I knew I was saving up seven years of Piggly Wiggly points for something.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #15
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We've been at $3.99 for several weeks. A few places in the busiest parts of Lexington have been slightly over $4, but where I live, we haven't gone over $3.99. It dropped yesterday - to $3.98. Progress!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

I isolate gas prices because they have a massively outsized effect on how people feel about prices/inflation. And the way people feel matters quite a lot in all things related to the current state of the economy. Individuals' decisions whether to buy something of consequence are substantially based on feel, and often businesses' decisions whether to expand/invest are as well.

I think the challenge that a job growth mostly just getting back toward former full employment is something less than an ordinary economic expansion is very fair. But the U6 measure suggests we're all but back to what the real "job" economy might bear at this point. Perhaps the recovery period of this whatever-letter-disruption is over, and from here it's back to fairer comparisons.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-06-2022 at 11:50 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #17
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota
And then forget about buying a house! I'm fine because I only have 5 years left on my mortgage, but what the hell are our kids going to do?

Reach a new equilibrium eventually, most likely. We'll get past this period of relatively minor hardship as long as it doesn't drag on for decades of inflation.

I'm a lot more concerned about what happens when oil prices go nuts permanently. We're not there yet, it may be another half-generation or so away, but when it hits these will be the good-old days.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #18
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I feel we're getting hammered from every direction though, it's not just gas. I was looking at buying a new amp for my music room. The amp that was selling for $1,499 last spring is now $1,999. Well then I go to the grocery store and everything is either much more expensive than it was last year, or in smaller packaging. I go to fill up the car after being told to start coming back to the office, and that's more too. And I'm supposed to feel grateful because I got a small raise at work, but it doesn't even match all the cost increases that I have to deal with.

Are kids in their 20's looking to buy houses these days? My oldest son has zero interests in owning a house and everything that comes with it at this point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #19
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are kids in their 20's looking to buy houses these days? My oldest son has zero interests in owning a house and everything that comes with it at this point.
My daughter very much is, and is heart-broken that a house she could have afforded 2 years ago now is way out of her price range. And I am getting heartbroken because it is looking more and more like she and her soon to be husband will be moving in HERE in November after the wedding. I do not want.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It is what it is mostly, but I do feel like I got substantial sticker shock when I was looking to buy a tow trailer. The garbage quality ones are now over 1000$ and it seems like anything approaching decent quality is 1600 or more. I don't need something that expensive and I suppose I'll try to find a used one. But it would be a nice something to have when I want to go pick up mulch or wood. Wood is also bordering on outrageous again.

Last edited by stevew : 04-06-2022 at 01:00 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Only one of my 5 kids own right now, though another did own and sold and is renting my ex wife's place and holding the profit as he waits for the market to slide a bit. A third is in the Navy, so he stays in base housing or rents and the other two are still growing their careers and have no interest in buying now.

Edit - All my kids save one, are now in their 30's

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-06-2022 at 12:56 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, we bought our second house when I was 27. Townhouse was at 25. But we weren't competing against large real estate/rental companies and there was a building boom at the time.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #23
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I was just listening to my coworker complain about house shopping.

I bought my condo 2 1/2 years ago. During the shopping process I placed 3 initial offers, all about $5k less than the asking price. One got narrowly outbid. One was accepted but I pulled out after the housing inspection. The last one was accepted. Overall I thought it was a fairly painless process.

But now my coworker is saying that she is placing offers at multiple places well above the asking price and still getting outbid/denied. I don't think Toledo Ohio has seen any rapid growth in the last couple years. So why is the housing market all crazy?
Old 04-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #24
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I was just listening to my coworker complain about house shopping.

I bought my condo 2 1/2 years ago. During the shopping process I placed 3 initial offers, all about $5k less than the asking price. One got narrowly outbid. One was accepted but I pulled out after the housing inspection. The last one was accepted. Overall I thought it was a fairly painless process.

But now my coworker is saying that she is placing offers at multiple places well above the asking price and still getting outbid/denied. I don't think Toledo Ohio has seen any rapid growth in the last couple years. So why is the housing market all crazy?

The long answer:

Housing Supply - Realtor.com Economic Research

The short answer:

Demand is higher than supply, combined with the realization that interest rates will not be historically low much longer.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And a ton of corporate buyers trying to get in on the "investment" and few laws restricting it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-06-2022 at 04:14 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And a ton of corporate buyers trying to get in on the "investment" and few laws restricting it

SI

This is the big driver, there is a corporate entity in Arizona that owns 8500 houses they have flipped to rental properties and finally the state Government is looking to address it.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

That's the biggest issue. And now that we know that the government will never allow banks or financial institutions to fail from those investments, it's as safe as they come. Plus it's one of the best ways for foreigners to launder money.

If the government truly cared about housing costs, they would tax rental and unused properties at significantly higher rates than they currently do. And actually treat money laundering as a crime.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

From my post below here is a snapshot of the greater Phoenix area.

Quote:
Zipcodes with the highest concentrations of investor-owned homes include:

Mesa – 85209 with 3,251 investor properties
El Mirage – 85335 with 2,155 properties
Scottsdale – 85260 with 1,596 properties
Mesa – 85202 with 1,438 properties
Buckeye – 85326 with 1,223 properties
Phoenix – 85015 with 1,194 properties
The largest single owner of investor properties is a company called Invitation Homes, which began buying houses in the Phoenix market in 2012. As of this quarter, the company owns 8,744 homes here.

And more
Quote:
AZ Family Investigates examined data from the Maricopa County Assessor’s Office, which contained information on every residential property in the county. We found hundreds of investors have bought tens of thousands of properties. The 700 largest investors own more than 71,000 residential properties.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-06-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #29
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Plus it's one of the best ways for foreigners to launder money.

Please explain
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:49 PM   #30
GrantDawg

Have some money to launder, Bob? There is a guy I'm the Ozarks that specializes in it.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #31
bob
College Starter

I’m just saying I don’t understand
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #32
GrantDawg

A quick Google will give you the answers. Real Estate is one of the most common ways to launder money.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #33
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Please explain

There's very little oversight in real estate and you don't have to go through the traditional financial channels. You can hide ownership through foreign companies and trusts. And most importantly, you can pay in cash.

Since real estate has become a safe investment (in the long run) and is a high ticket item, it's a perfect place to stash your money. Bank accounts and the stock market have oversight and draws attention. Owning millions million in real estate in different states through a number of shell companies and trusts is hard to detect.

Washing the money is the other side of it. So lets say you buy a $5 million building in cash. You can then use other dirty cash to put another $5 million in upgrades. The general contractor and electrician doesn't care where that money came from and no one is looking into it. Sell that building for $10 million in a few years and you've just cleaned $10 million.

Then you have renting as a tool. Take a 50 unit building and rent it out. Every dime coming through from tenants is clean. And if you have a few empty units in the building, who cares? Just say they are being rented and the tenant pays cash.

It's so popular that it's probably the reason we'll never go after the Russian oligarchs no matter what they do in Ukraine. It would crash the Manhattan (and other wealthy areas) real estate market overnight. Heck, our last President made his fortune as a laundromat for money launderers. Cleaning dirty foreign money is an American pastime.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

If anyone is interested in the topic, I highly recommend Red Notice by Bill Browder. I believe it was a best seller and chronicles his business dealings in Russia. He has another book coming out next week that goes even deeper into the money laundering.

The Magnitsky Act was named after his attorney who was murdered in prison.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #35
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Please explain

This educational video might help:

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:28 AM   #36
miami_fan
Coordinator

Price of Paradise: Reasons for high housing vacancies in Florida
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #37
cuervo72
Head Coach

Canada bans foreign homebuyers for two years in effort to cool market | Canada | The Guardian
Old 04-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

This is needed here, not only for foreign investors, but the mega-million investment corps buying houses for rental property.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #39
Ksyrup

I just got a letter in the mail this afternoon from a realtor who has a buyer wanting a house in our neighborhood. I assume we all got one. I suppose they are looking for someone about to put their house on the market trying to get a jump on the competition.

If I had a place to go, I'd consider doing that, but basically looking to extract a premium for giving them what is essentially a right of first offer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-08-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #40
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This is needed here, not only for foreign investors, but the mega-million investment corps buying houses for rental property.

As I think Rainmaker pointed out earlier (in this thread or another), given the ease with which real estate investment can be used to launder money, it's an area that really need scrutiny in multiple countries, even before you want to argue about the social pluses or minuses.

I'd support legislation limiting the number of residential units a single entity (person, corporation) can own, with some sort of loophole for clearly-defined hardship cases (like you have to buy your folks' house so they can afford health care). Markets have gotten way, way, way out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I just got a letter in the mail this afternoon from a realtor who has a buyer wanting a house in our neighborhood. I assume we all got one. I suppose they are looking for someone about to put their house on the market trying to get a jump on the competition.

In our neighborhood I'd say about 90% of the homes are sold pre-market. I happen to know three local realtors really well and it's clear that if you want to buy here, you have to have a local realtor who can get wind of "private sales" as early as possible, otherwise you have no chance.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

Worth mentioning that the Federal Reserve had been purchasing up to $40 billion A MONTH in mortgages last year. Haven't checked the numbers lately to see how much they have been the last couple of months. But that's one way to inflate housing prices.

They say it was to keep interest rates stable, which may be true, but it also has side effects.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
As I think Rainmaker pointed out earlier (in this thread or another), given the ease with which real estate investment can be used to launder money, it's an area that really need scrutiny in multiple countries, even before you want to argue about the social pluses or minuses.

I'd support legislation limiting the number of residential units a single entity (person, corporation) can own, with some sort of loophole for clearly-defined hardship cases (like you have to buy your folks' house so they can afford health care). Markets have gotten way, way, way out of hand.

100% agree
Old 04-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #43
miami_fan
Coordinator

Insurance agents: Why rates for Florida homeowners are soaring in 2022 | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

The insurance premiums on our rental properties in Florida went up about $400 in total this year. The one for our homestead actually went down about $50.

A while back I mentioned my shock at the cost of having a roof replaced. During the pandemic it felt like every week another house in our subdivision was getting their roof replaced. It has kept going to where I am sure myself and about four of my neighbors have the only houses that have not had a roof replacement in the last two years. Most people said they only paid the deductible. I am not saying everyone was committing fraud but it looks like the insurance companies are getting their money back with interest.

The point the article makes about the roofing companies being storm chasers is very true. I have had at least 15 offers of free roof inspections by various roofing companies in the last year alone.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #44
Flasch186
Coordinator

And sometimes when they get in the roof they cause damage themselves in order to get the deal

When the insurance company says no you’re stuck with a now damaged roof

If you were dumb enough to sign an AOB then your really screwed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was thinking about this thread and meat prices a couple of days ago.

Beef prices seem much higher (50%ish) but pork still seems pretty normal to me and chicken might be a little higher but, again, mostly within norms. Shrimp is lower than normal by a decent bit (like frequently on sale and 20%+ lower than normal) - I don't understand that at all. Crab legs have been insanely high for months, like twice as much as normal (which is a shame as I love them and I haven't had any of late).

But I feel like you can go "inflation" to say it's higher across the board, but you could also tell me there are individual actions accounting for it like did some beef processing plants close but pork and chicken didn't, meanwhile shrimp are having a bumper crop but crab have been overfished of late?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

It's just demand. People are making more money, have more in savings, and can now purchase higher-priced meat.

Inflation is a nice catch-all but sometimes a market just goes up because the demand is higher than the supply at the moment.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #47
Edward64
Head Coach

Regular unleaded is back down to about $3.80 from $4 around here.

In other news, zillow says my house has appreciated thousands of dollars in the past month. We are just about to hit our 2nd "we'll sell the house and live in an apartment" target in the past year.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #48
Ksyrup

I keep checking our house on Zillow every month or more when someone posts about it here, and every time it's gone up. This time 3.2% in the past 30 days. I call BS.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-21-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #49
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ours went up 4.9% in the last month. (And it probably doesn't know that we just renovated the original 1960s-era kitchen and added on an office for my wife.)

Last edited by Kodos : 04-21-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #50
Ksyrup

Yeah, mine shows our house as 3 bedroom 2.5 bath and 2700 sq. ft. but it's actually 4/3.5 with a fully finished basement that adds about 1500 sq. ft. of living space, plus a covered deck that we added to the house a year ago.